England’s Addition to the Don’t Tread Challenge

TSG commenter GeorgeCross is a good sport in our comment section.

I like to point him out because he is one of the few folks truly balancing out the commentary. The poor guy and England fan–TSG doesn’t feel all that bad–takes more smacks from the TSG community than Landon Donovan lining up a corner at the Azteca.

In that vain, I dug up a little something YouTube to make GeorgeCross feel a little bit more at home on a Friday.

(Seriously though, thanks for participating in TSG, GeorgeCross; I really appreciate your voice on TSG).

The Three Lions entry to the Don’t Tread TSG Challenge:

He’s No Oil Painting“(really…the harmonies, well, they are just phenomenal)

1. Pure class, right up there with the “England 5 Germany 1″ song from Euro Trip.

2. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/02 at 12:15 PM

Cheers Matthew! In between reading great articles and good comments, I do enjoy putting the boot in, and hope that I give as good as I get!

I remember Kahn asking who Gerrard was pre-match, and then Gerrard makes him look like the foolish Kraut he really is!

BTW, the Azteca isn’t such a daunting stadium, and I have no idea why the US bottles it everytime they play there!

• Posted by Bob on 2010/04/02 at 1:14 PM

Great to have you here George! This web site is definitely better for it. I love the “give and take” you engage in with us Americans. I always know when I strike gold when I get you going on a topic. Fun stuff for sure!

And oh, btw, we are not the only international team that “bottles” it everytime they play in Azecta so let’s not go there on this Good Friday lol (what does “bottle” mean anyway? I thought I heard Nick Webster say it means “coward” but not sure.)

• As far as I can tell, England has only played against Mexico 4 in friendlies as the Away team (http://www.thefa.com/England/Results) and since the FA’s site doesn’t list where the games are played I have to assume they were played at Estadio Azteca. England’s record in those 4 friendlies 1-1-2. That’s right El Tri has beaten the Mighty Three Lions twice in Estadio Azteca and held them to a scoreless draw once as well. To me that looks like the mighty “creators of the modern game” have bottled it a few times as well (though not as often as we do). While those statistics are from decades ago, it would be interesting to see how England would perform against them in a competitive environment such as the World Cup or other tournament hosted there…

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/03 at 2:26 PM

Nick, I am sure if England can go to the likes of Rio, Amsterdam, Rome, Munich, Paris and er Chicago and get a result, we’d be OK in the Azteca.

I also think a better comparison for the USA vs Mexico game would be England vs Scotland (or any of the Home Nations) – those games always have a little extra spice for historical and political reasons. We have Wales in our Euro 2012 qualifying group and it would have been nice to also get the Republic of Ireland and Scotland too – it would’ve meant not too much travelling and almost certainly 18 points in the bag whilst p1ssing them off again – us qualifying for the tournament whilst they get on their usual biennial hissy fit supporting ‘Anybody But England’… But my schadenfreude towards them it great too!!

Bob – to ‘bottle it’ means that you didn’t have the courage and determination to see something through.

• I agree that England should get the result when playing in Azteca, but let’s face it the Lions botched it in Japan/South Korea due to the “heat” and Azteca not only has heat, but also smog and altitude.

I noticed that England seem to always end up with at least one of the home nations in their qualifying groups (in recent memory at least). Which is nice for your boys as they don’t have to travel too far, and like you said piss off the neighbors.

Hopefully someday before I kick it we’ll begin to develop players that are not only talented enough to play and succeed anywhere but also have the mettle and professionalism to succeed anywhere. Which leads me to a quasi-random thought…would the England internationals succeed in some of the other leagues of the world? We know that a Gerrard, Lampard, and Rooney have bags of talent but would they be able to deal with the cultural and language differences? The point is a moot one until another league dethrones the EPL as the best league in the world.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/03 at 2:52 PM

In 2002, we seemed to fade away a little in the last 20 minutes of games due to the weather. But we lost to the eventual winners in the QFs. Only if Beckham didn’t jump out of the way…

EPL is not necessarily the best, but they pay well… if there wasn’t money in England but Germany had the cash, I am sure they’d all be over there quicker than you could say bratwurst. Personally, I think Rooney, Ashley Cole and Joe Cole would be best suited towards the “more technical” European leagues.

• I remember that play on the sidelines with Beckham…that was frustrating to watch. It’s the World Cup for godssakes, you’ve got to lay it all on the line.

As for the EPL, I don’t see any other leagues that can compare to it in terms of the level of competition week in and week out. Sure Germany has a more wide-open title race but the middle of the table and bottom of the table don’t seem to be able to compare to the mid and bottom table EPL sides. And, it’s not the most technical league in the world and it may not always be the prettiest soccer, but it definitely provides better sporting drama on a weekly basis. Maybe I’ve been biased by watching too much of the EPL in my formative years, but gun to my head I’d rather watch Hull City face West Ham (regardless of yanks on the pitch) than a relegation six pointer in Italy, France, Germany, or Spain.

3. Trying to avoid turning this into a “we love George” fest post, but thanks for being here man. A good sport with a good soccer (football) head on ya!

4. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/03 at 2:35 PM

I am waiting for Kasabian (or the like) to release a World Cup song… Listening to New Order’s “World in Motion” and Lightening Seed’s “3 Lions” for 20 and 14 years respectively, is great, but we need a new song!

5. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/05 at 2:41 PM

Gordon Banks’ save from Pele is immortal.

6. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/07 at 2:35 PM

This is the clip that I should have included. My bad.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/07 at 2:39 PM

…because you have Beckham this year? …because we were missing Landon? …because we didn’t have Jozy yet? …because our wingfulls in this game are respectively our back-ups for June12th.

Don’t understand…. :>

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/07 at 2:44 PM

We had some B-teamers too. But we still won!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/07 at 2:48 PM

Really — name which B-teamer (who was a B-teamer) at the time started for you.

You were the home side also.