The Weekend: Relegation Battling

TSG is taking a breather this weekend.

Cooper needs to pull Argyle up from the relegatin zone...if he plays...

Everything to do with fatigue not with evading our taxes to date.

Some big games this weekend and we’ll try to comment with you in the comment section below:

Jozy and the Tigers go relegation battling against Burnley.

Can Aston Villa and Brad Freidel save some pride with an FA Cup tourney win against hard-charging Chelsea.

• The big one in La Liga:  Barca vs. Real Madrid. Messi vs. Ronaldo. Ronaldo says Thursday, “I’m just trying to do my job.” Uh buddy that fat paycheck you’re cashing says you should be doing more than “just your job.”

Best part of this game? It’s available on ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360)…that’s just phenomenal.

• I’m going to try to catch the RSL-Sounders game. That Sounders wagon lost a spoke last weekend when they got Red Bulled. Now they go on the road. Two things I’m checking here: 1) Whiter Robbie Findley (bench or pitch, good or bad) and 2) I really like the balance of the RSL midfield; what’s their plan to harass Ljundberg and company and not allow odd-man runs?

Jay Watford might have a chance to shut down Kenny Cooper as Watford tussle with Plymouth Argyle, both are in danger of dropping a league. Will Cooper get off the bench? Will the Watford faithful go any easier on JDM?

A lot more games this weekend, but I’m really not doing my customary preview justice so….

1. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/10 at 7:57 AM

Both EPL games are tied at HT. This is making things very interesting as 3 of the 4 teams make up the bottom 4. If West Ham and Hull win, surely that means Burnley are down looking at their run in and the amount of points that they need to make up???

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/10 at 8:16 AM

Jozy had an assist on the first goal. Any time the ball gets deeper than the midfield for hull they are facing pressure. This is forcing their mids and forwards back. Jozy has dropped back to defend near his own box twice already in the 2nd half.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/10 at 8:23 AM

Jimmy Conrad would be a massive upgrade in central defense for hull today. Penalty in the box. Kick converted. Hull down 2 to 1
      Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2. Posted by BklynPete on 2010/04/10 at 9:53 AM

Unfortunate result for Hull, but they are a lost cause. Jozy needs to be outta’ there next season.

On a more important note… Bocanegra is not in the 18 for Rennes today. First Deuce, now Capt. Carlos. This could be problematic. Lets hope neither are very serious and that nobody else picks up any knocks.

• Posted by Alex on 2010/04/10 at 12:26 PM

Ive started to like Hull after last season’s relegation fight and them picking up jozy this year, but they are REAL tough to root for. they’re heartbreaking too, they got the squad and the talent they just cant ever put it together

• Anyone know what’s wrong with Carlos? I’m lost in translation; all I know for sure is that he’s hurt and it’s some sort of muscle. L’equipe says “touché aux adducteurs,” if that helps.

3. Posted by kaya on 2010/04/10 at 9:58 AM

Now now Matt. Remember, the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance is 10 years.
    Visca El Barça!

4. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/10 at 5:12 PM

I have historically always wanted Barcelona to win the El Classico (since Venables and Lineker), but this year, I didn’t. I guess I don’t want them winning everything again.

5. USSF headquarters:
    Hi Bob, you have a phone call. From an Edson Buddle? He mentioned something about wanting to go on a summer trip.