In Search Of The Perfect Pick-Up Game

I love to surf. Love to travel. Love to travel to surf. That pretty much constitutes a perfect getaway for me.

Well now I’m going to need to combine something else into the excursions after the guys over at FBM introduced me to this flick out of the South by Southwest Film Festival….it’s kind of like the ultimate surfari…but for soccer.

Ballgame, Kenyan-style...

It’s entitled Pelada and it orates the tale of two former college soccer players who went playground instead of pro. Traveling the world, they play in prisons, barrios and under the Eiffel Tower.

For more on Pelada, check out the FBM coverage or head to their web site.

1. Heard about this a year or so ago. Fascinating stuff.

2. Posted by Shane on 2010/04/19 at 10:08 PM

This is a great thing they’re doing :)

3. Posted by KMac on 2010/04/19 at 11:09 PM

HOW DID CHUCK D (CD9) Recover So Fast? Delaware’s Jim Hashimoto played a HUGE part this winter. I know it’s off topic, but I didn’t want to this piece to get buried. This ABC news piece details a technology used on our favorite $6 million dollar man and striker, Chuck Deezy.
    Charlie specific starts around 1:30 mark.

KMac (McKee)

4. Posted by KMac on 2010/04/19 at 11:46 PM

You sir, are a profit! Nothing feels as good as nailing a forecast. Just here to validate your prowess, big guy.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/19 at 11:48 PM

I’ve just had too many Boddingtons as I’ve finished a Bob Bradley post that should be live….right…now.

Thanks for the compliments.

5. Awesome looking Doc, thanks for bringing this to my attention, i just purchased a ticket to check this out at the Somerville theater in Boston this weekend….saaaawweeet!!

6. Posted by Tom M on 2010/04/20 at 6:26 AM

This looks great. Thanks for posting it. It reminds me a little of this park near my house. The park has baseball fields, soccer fields, a running track, and a football field. It also has basketball courts which are the only part that has lights. Every time I drive by there is a soccer game going on at night under the lights on the basketball court. I also give a little thumbs up.

7. These guys were on FFF a couple weeks ago, really interesting conversation with them talking about the film and their travels. After seeing more footage this looks really fascinating, can’t wait to see it.

8. i checked out the doc today in sommerville, and i must say it was awesome, funny, inspiring everything. if you have a chance to check this out, it is a much watch for any football fan out there, and even for the non-footy fan. apparently the directors sold the international rights to PBS. this should be spread around as much as possible before the WC imo.

9. Hi,

I’m a co-director of Pelada (and the girl in the trailer) and wanted to say that we are organizing screenings across the US right now before the World Cup. If you’d want to help us set up a screening in your city, please let us know…thanks! info@pelada-movie.com