USMNT PSAs from Wednesday

A bevy of USMNT player, broadcasting and fan news hitting the interwebs today:

JDM, out today with an ab strain...

• Jay DeMerit missed today’s 1-0 Watford loss with an abdomen strain. Doesn’t sound too serious.

• It’s like the anti-Zapruder film. There is a link on the Milan site with big man Oguchi Onyewu training–thanks K-Mac for the tip.

But shouldn’t we be concerned if Gooch wasn’t stretching and doing calisthenics as the video shows….if you venture over you have to install a Microsoft product. Bleck.

• The guys over at One Goal have released the second part of “The Road to South Africa” documentary…this part focuses on a trip to the friendly confines of….the Azteca.

• Big T says that Everton belong legging it out in Europe.

• A little audio bit with the penultimate (kidding) start of the LA Galaxy Landon Donovan with Dan Patrick–his radio show is terrible by the way.

The Deuce goes Schaaping...

• Not to be outdone, Clint Demspey features on E:60 tonight. You’ll be able to check out the clip shortly at the afore-linked link or try this one.

Multiple reports have Clint Dempsey traveling with Fulham to Hamburg for Europa League action this Thursday. Let’s hope he’s above Magic Spray level.

• Talk Turkey: Looking to catch the Tune-Up in City Formerly Known as Donovan McNabb’s? Check out the American Outlaws web store for tickets.

• Speaking of ESPN, Forbes with a piece on ESPN’s coverage of the World Cup.

If you missed some of our pieces on ESPN, you should definitely check them out:

5 Ways That ESPN Can Impove Their Soccer Coverage

Bowling or Soccer: ESPN Presents We Make The Call

• US Soccer announces that the son of Hollywood heavyweight Lew Wasserman is joining the bid to bring the World Cup to the States in one of the next two go-arounds. Okay, his name is Casey Wasserman….that first barb wasn’t totally fair. Wasserman was a big proponent of the Arena Football League.

1. Posted by Tom M on 2010/04/20 at 5:56 PM

Don’t if people know about this but on ESPN on demand on FIOS there are a bunch of old games. US – Mexico from the 2002 WC. A couple of the qualifiers from this year including the Costa Rica game from RFK. Argentina – England from the 1998 WC. The US – Columbia game from 1994. Cool stuff.

2. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/20 at 6:11 PM

You’ve got to hold and give
    But do it at the right time
    You can be slow or fast
    But you must get to the line
    They’ll always hit you and hurt you
    Defend and attack
    There’s only one way to beat them
    Get round the back
    Catch me if you can
    Cos’ I’m the England man
    And what you’re looking at
    Is the master plan
    We ain’t no hooligans
    This ain’t a football song
    Three lions on our chest
    I know we can’t go wrong

We’re singing for England
    EN-GER-LAND
    We’re singing the song
    We’re singing for England
    EN-GER-LAND

3. Oh John Barnes, how he didn’t become the next Dr. Dre with rhymes like that, I have no idea.

(In reality I absolutely love “World in Motion” and listen to it all the time, makes me feel like a bad USA fan. But as a Spurs supporter how can I resist a young Gazza singing?)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/20 at 7:21 PM

I listen to World in Motion and Football’s Coming Home all the time. It annoys Mrs. Cross to the extent of her threatening me with a bedroom olympics embargo!

I probably sounded like Wenger when I whimpered “it wasn’t fair!!”

4. Posted by KMac on 2010/04/20 at 8:14 PM

Ives just broke video of Gooch training with Milan on his sight.. Allright! Just light PT, no match video…but I’ll take it.
    KMac

5. Posted by Dave on 2010/04/20 at 8:23 PM

Interesting (to me) mention in the Forbes piece that Univisión(Spanish, USA) paid 3 times as much as ESPN(English, USA) for WC rights in 2010 and 2014. And that Univisión recognized that a lot of us watching the network are not Hispanic.
    I was trying to figure out why I liked Univisión’s soccer coverage so much more that English language broadcasts and finally figured out that, while their announcers value and enjoy the game, they don’t take themselves so darned seriously as the English language guys. Perhaps that’s because only one(Jesús Bracamontes)played or coached at a high level.

6. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/04/20 at 10:49 PM

Laker game just ended and I’ve come to the conclusion that going for the win instead of the tie when down 2 points with seconds remaining is the equivalent of teams playing (more) attacking football on their away leg of an aggregate competition

7. Posted by Ben on 2010/04/20 at 11:44 PM

On a Side note. I see Ronaldo is dating Kim Kardashian. Their child could be American. We have hope.

• Their kid could be the next great target forward for the USA, that Kardashian ass the kid will have should create some major space between him and the defender.

• I don’t think I’ve ever wanted two people completely unrelated to me to have a child more than those two. Here’s hoping she’s good enough, eh-hem, to let the kid suit up. We’ll be scouting him from the womb.

8. I meant, let the kid suit up for the red, white, and blue… naturally.

9. If she has a kid, her “career” is ruined… I wouldn’t go betting the farm.

10. Posted by Tom M on 2010/04/21 at 4:44 PM

A couple of things I just saw. The USMNT will train at Princeton the week leading up to the 2 friendlies at the end of May. Less than an hour from me but it says the practices are closed to the public. Maybe TSG can get me some credentials as a correspondent. Ha. Also at the end of July the Red Bulls will host a mini tournament. Joining them will be Tottenham, Man City, and Sporting Lisbon. Bummed I can’t catch some of the practices. Maybe they are worried about spies

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/21 at 4:48 PM

Thanks Tom. I’m trying to find the release on Princeton.

We did inquire about access to practice.

All sessions are closed with 15 minutes for interviews both practice. So TSG won’t be making it.

(Off the record, try the nicest hotel in/around Princeton….and you may well….)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/21 at 4:51 PM

I saw the pre-season NYRB games on the ticker tape on Sky Sports too. City and Spurs have joined Chelsea and United in trying to globalise… Lisbon should be good to pull in the Portuguese and Brazilian fans!