Ribery Goes DeJong, But Gets The Red

Look, I know this is probably a redundant post or possibly one of the poorer ones I’ve done but I can’t stop thinking about it.

Franck Ribery’s ankle smash today–in my opinion–deserved a straight red….and I can’t keep thinking how Golden Stu Holden is still working his way back from the late foul by Nigel De Jong which barely earned the Dutchman a yellow!

Maybe it’s the talk of cards in our Algeria preview piece below that has me thinking this way. I’m going to put up poll below as well–I already know the results.

1. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/04/21 at 5:43 PM

As much as I hate to say this, DeJong’s wasn’t on purpose. I hate the guy, but it was just your run-of-the-mill, poor judgement/bad challenge with elevated studs. Where as with Ribery’s you could clearly see the intent.

2. Posted by Joe on 2010/04/21 at 9:38 PM

I think that De Jong’s was worse because he hurt our boy STU! Both were out of control but like usual, US teams never get the calls.

3. Posted by Gino on 2010/04/21 at 10:39 PM

I know some people are prejudiced against Ribery because he looks like a villian from a 007 movie, but I believe De Jong’s foul was worse. Sure, the ball De Jong was trying to play was a 50-50, but he was reckless in his lunge. If you watch the slow replay of the Bayern/Lyon match, you can see that while Ribery was a little out of control he was strictly going for the ball. He only caught Lisandro’s leg after Lopez tipped it out of the area where Ribery was going for the ball. De Jong was virtually sliding studs up in that March friendly. That’s my other point of contention. USA/Netherlands was just a friendly and it wasn’t as if De Jong was fighting to win a place in the starting eleven. Ribery shouldn’t be condemned for missing a deflected ball in a Champion’s League semi-final. BTW, although Ribery is definitely a big-time talent, I’m not a fan of his and hope those rumors of a transfer to Barcelona don’t materialize.

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/04/22 at 12:05 AM

Both were bad tackles, both were late and both were bad…but you kind of have to get over it. This happens. De Jong’s mirrored his style of play. Was it a poor decision in a friendly, absolutely. Do you want a guy like this him in your team to boss your midfield, do the dirty work and make crunching tackles…Yes you should.

There is no intent on De Jongs part and he immediately jumped up to see if Holden was ok. It was a 50-50 challenge and if Holden hadn’t shown some skill in turning the ball in the last split second De Jong would have had all ball. It was reckless yes, especially given the nature of the match but really we should all get over it and move on. I do believe the USMNT need a player like DeJong, Gattuso, Roy Keane, Dunga, Viera, etc… Whats the closest they have now?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/22 at 7:38 AM

I agree, both were horrible and should have been straight reds.

The only thing I disagree with is putting DeJong in the same sentence as Keane, Dunga and Viera!!

4. They’re both red-cardable tackles, with a player coming in late, over the ball and taking the standing leg. De Jong’s tackle looks a lot worse in slow motion than it did at speed. I agree that De Jong’s intent was not to injure but if this kind of lunge was a red card – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCLDkLESZUs – then his tackle should have been. We all know the reality is that the line between yellow and red comes down to who you’re tackling quite a lot of the time.

5. Posted by Paul on 2010/04/22 at 8:36 AM

I still think the Ribery tackle was far worse–Ribery isn’t even going for the ball and basically attempts to stomp on the other player’s foot. At least De Jong was attempting, however badly, to go for the ball. Frankly, I think we are blowing the whole issue out of proportion.

Did anyone see Torres almost get neutered last night against Cruz Azul? This was brutal; thankfully, Torres was okay and still has his twig and both berries. Tackle is at the 2.40 mark of the video….

• Posted by Colin on 2010/04/22 at 10:02 AM

ouch…is it just me or does the player with the ball at 2:54 look like a midget with a tiny person with a giant head?

6. Posted by Colin on 2010/04/22 at 9:48 AM

personally, I think either tackle could be given yellow or red…my problem is that the ref took way too long to decide to give de jong a yellow.

I dont mind if US players seem to get cards a bit more easier than other teams they face because part of that can come down to my own bias…and it may just SEEM that way (I didnt believe any of the 3 straight reds to US players in the confed cup were justifiably red). But to me, allowing other teams to repeatedly get away with bookable offenses against US players that they wouldnt get away with against other opponents…that is what irks me.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/22 at 10:15 AM

I feel it’s the inconsistency that winds people up. There should be one set of standards that everybody is held to. None of this “that wouldn’t of been a card in the Premier League, but in Europe it is”. We have one set of laws, now there needs to be some consistency. We’ve excepted it for far too long.

7. Posted by tnnelson on 2010/04/22 at 4:20 PM

ribery’s was pretty bad, but at least he got close to the ball. de jong hit holden like halfway up his calf and completely missed the ball by a few feet. then like 2 minutes later he dove to the ground in one the worst and most blatent dives ive ever seen, and the American defender got a yellow. fuckin stupid dutch