MLS: Rowdy Friends & Thursday Night

All my rowdy friends are here on Thursday night.

HP: Mighty big TSG spotlight on you tonight, fella...

I’m really starting to like these primetime MLS games on Thursday nights.

How about you?

I’m also as excited as when I grew up with the Monday docket of MacGyver at 8pm and Monday Night Football at 9pm on the East Coast and had IBM’s You Make the Call as the first commercial in the 1st quarter.

Tonight, Sounders again okay primetime, this time against FC Dallas. A few questions on this:

• What’s wrong with this juxtaposition: Seattle has trouble scoring and Fredy Montero is rumored to be headed to CSKA Moscow. Closing the book on that one…wait…you know half these rumors are just agents out there trying to drum up demand. I can see this one as Fredy’s agent saying, “Okay who’s really far away that no else will be able to get a hold of?”

• Good test here for Heath Pearce. Can he shut down Freddie Ljundberg, but also get ahead in the attack?

I feel I might have, let’s say, put-off a few of you with opining on my love of the current style of play from the Los Angeles Galaxy. I’m not ready to choose a team; not sure if I ever will. I do know that this season MLS because of the TV production, improved quality of play and the forthcoming World Cup has been more watchable for me than ever before.

I’m going to need something to get me into MLS and I’ll have a column on what it is shortly.

1. Posted by Kevin on 2010/04/22 at 5:07 PM

Don’t worry Matt you didn’t put me off of coming to TSG by liking the galaxy. Would you rather argue with a friend that supports Mexico, and make some bets, or talk to friends that support the US. Both of course, so you liking LA will just give me more balance in the way I perceive your blog. You’re like my George Cross.

Just wait for the next LA vs Houston match-up. We’ll be more sure of ourselves and Buddle won’t be on as good of form.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 5:09 PM

I’ve got a great idea for my post on this subject.

I will say the quality of play in MLS has certainly went up…I do have concerns if the Red Bulls become the Cosmos all over again though.

• With the third DP spot opening up and guys like Henry and Raul becoming potentially available I can totally see it.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/23 at 10:00 AM

I think you have to be realistic – you not going to get that calibre of player at their peak. This issue then becomes ‘how far past their peak do we want these players?’ These guys are in their early 30s and still have a lot to offer, and IMO would be great additions to MLS. You don’t want to get players who are well past it – like NASL did with Pele, Beckenbauer, Best et al. You do want the names to perhaps “get bums on seats” so to speak, but not at the expense of them making a positive contribution ability-wise.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 5:12 PM

Literally just popped-up “The Tres” as the kickoff happened….love The Tres.

3. Posted by Shane on 2010/04/22 at 5:18 PM

All 500 hundred fans in Dallas got that place rocking!!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 5:20 PM

They can’t condense the camera enough not to show it…..

• Posted by Bob on 2010/04/23 at 3:29 AM

Yeah, that looked really sad. I was at a local club game earlier in the evening and they seemed to have just as many fans watching that game! MLS looks like a serious league when the games are broadcast in LA or Seattle.

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 5:21 PM

Horrendous fundamentals in this game thus far…

5. Posted by Scweeb on 2010/04/22 at 5:24 PM

ha ha yea i agree bad passing!! so i have ben reading that article on charlie. . . .

6. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 5:26 PM

Harkes on the possibility of Davies not playing the final 5 games for Sochaux: “That’s not a good thing.” Thanks John–insightful…

• Posted by KMac on 2010/04/22 at 6:18 PM

Leave it to Johnny Haircut to state the obvious!
      KMac

• John also criticized the missing defense that led to Keller’s penalty “When in doubt kick it out.” My dad used to say that when I played youth soccer.

Also, “Run the secret play!” When, in fact, there was no secret play.

7. Posted by Scweeb on 2010/04/22 at 5:28 PM

Lol yea you have to love the comments he makes!! But i guess for any casual fan they wouldn’t know any better

8. Posted by Shane on 2010/04/22 at 5:46 PM

I blame the MLS Ball for the ugly play…

9. Posted by Shane on 2010/04/22 at 5:47 PM

Nice goal from Zakuani**

10. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/23 at 7:19 AM

Nice finish indeed. School boy defending though.