TSG: ESPN Score Game Winner with Ad

It’s really just Soccernet in my book that’s not doing coverage justice.

ESPN scores, in our opinion, with a superb human interest commercial for the World Cup.

We actually have been chatting back and forth with their video makers and asked the question, “Can’t you guys use something other than U2 audio in these things?”

The answer: “Regarding U2, the U2 World Cup relationship is an extension from the successful World Cup 2006 campaign and broader details may be discussed in the future.”

Looks like Bono will be around for awhile.

We’ll also try to get our hands on a certain Landon Donovan copier machine Sportscenter commercial that was pre-aired before it was suppose to be.

1. Posted by Jennifer on 2010/04/22 at 11:32 AM

Saw this yesterday. Definitely think it’s the best one so far, although the SA prison one is pretty damn good.

In regards to U2, I don’t mind ESPN using them again. I think for casual/non soccer fan, they’d hear the music and it’d grab their attention to what the commercial is.

Soccer needs a SportCenter commercial, but the copy machine has been done. Hopefully LD’s spot is not anything like Albert Pujols’s.

2. Posted by cesar on 2010/04/22 at 1:59 PM

didn’t Jozy have a SportsCenter ad he filmed in like… August? I never saw it, but I remember him tweeting about how he had fun doing it for sure.

3. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/22 at 2:17 PM

Apart from the Martin Tyler adverts, I haven’t seen this one. I think any promotion is good, and to see some USA promotion** would be fantastic.

**to some English music of course!

4. The video’s blocked outside of the United States. Wish I could see it!

I’m looking forward to Nike’s World Cup ads. My favorite remains the one from the 1998 WC of the boy rubbing a raw steak on his football so the will chase him.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 2:53 PM

Really Luke? — Just asked ESPN about that for you…I’ll post whatever response.

• Yup. I’m in the UK. When I click play I get “This video contains content from ESPN, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”

The same happens when I go to the video’s page on youtube.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 4:49 PM

Got a reply from ESPN that there is a rights embargo on the content overseas.

You can try a US proxy server…

5. Posted by Robby on 2010/04/22 at 3:08 PM

Bono narrating? Is that really necessary? He is the worlds biggest crap after all !

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/22 at 3:12 PM

Robby — I asked them about U2–so I am in your corner.

That said, Bono is global, extremely philanthropic in Africa and a safe bet. Imagine if they had gotten someone like a Chris Brown before the Rihanna thing…

6. This even gave Mrs. FBM goose-bumps. That’s impressive.