Jozy Makes Statement On Red Card Affair

Altidore Hutton handbags

Update: Jozy issues an apology via Twitter.

I’m so sorry about yesterday. Made a stupid, immature and costly mistake. I apologize to hull city and the fans who I let down. I let my emotions get the best of me and lost my composure. Believe it or not this year playing for hull was to date the best trip I’ve ever been on.

——

Altidore sent off in the 1st half in Hull’s must-win 1-0 loss against Sunderland.

Our thoughts at TSG: Reserved. Didn’t watch the game so I don’t know the lead-up to the incident shown below.

Here’s what I do know. You’ve got to keep your cool, but from time-to-time blow-ups happen (see Drogba, Didier). Excusable by Altidore, no. We’ll invoke our TSG motto on this one: “You can’t look at observations in isolation, you need to evaluate the whole body of work.”

To read further into it, or make a statement on Jozy’s entire body of work at Hull is probably too severe. A few weeks ago we issued this column, largely in admiration of the last year for Altidore. There have been blemishes and this incident is another that calls into question Jozy’s maturity. At 20-years-old, he is what he is and he’s going to need to improve his maturity in lockstep with his ability to become a better player.

Classy move by City fans towards the end as they rained down ‘This is the best trip I’ve ever been on” which Phil Brown sung when Hull staved off elimination last year.

A little bit on how the Hull fans saw the incident.

How Sunderland fans saw it.

1. Posted by Sam on 2010/04/25 at 6:40 AM

Man, if that kind of altercation makes Hutton roll around on the ground in pain he should really reconsider being a professional athlete in a sport that allows incidental contact.

• Posted by tnnelson on 2010/04/25 at 11:00 AM

yea, for real. the video makes it look like he barely even touched him, if even at all. before i saw it i kept hearing that he headbutted him, and i kept picturing jozy just bustin’ out the zidane headbutt. but when i saw it, i actually laughed out loud. he may have slightly nicked hutton on the head with his forehead, and he grabs his face like a little girl and rolls around on the ground. i have seen girls get punched in the face, and they took it like champs. that little pansy barely even gets touched and he acts like his face got crushed by a pool ball. i know jozy shouldn’t have done that, but if somebody threw a ball at me for absolutely no reason, i would be extremely pissed too. professionals shouldn’t do that, it’s just childish. i don’t think jozy’s maturity should be the only one in question, and i don’t even know how old hutton is

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/25 at 11:24 AM

Considering where Hutton hails from, he should know all about a Glasgow Kiss. I bet he took more than that in playful larking about with his childhood friends on his council estate growing up.

I am sure Bradley saw this incident and will pull him aside in May, and tell him to not to be gullible and fall for such cheap provocation. In the summer, I am certain that defenders will be whispering all sorts of ‘sweet nothings’ about his Mum and sister, or pinching him, treading on the back of his heels / toes etc etc. It’s a shame that this sort of stuff goes on, but we all know it happens. He’s not the only player who’ll be targeted..

2. Posted by Dan on 2010/04/25 at 7:48 AM

I’m really disappointed to see so many people talking about Jozy’s red in isolation from what provoked him. Jozy’s reaction was no more immature than Hutton’s ridiculous ploy. I think the vast majority of Premiership players would have reacted in similar ways, and I can only think of a few supremely cool players (maybe Puyol or Pirlo, to name a couple) who might have reacted to Hutton’s antics without lashing out. Even Beckham had a pretty hard time maintaining an even temper when he was adjusting to MLS play.

What’s more, people keep mentioning “incidents” concerning Altidore’s maturity, but they cite his occaisional failures to maintain match fitness, some late arrivals to team practices, and a bit of whining about not making the starting lineup once arriving at Hull–none of which have to do with his temper.

I dunno. I guess I’ve always considered Altidore to have an even keel on the pitch, or at least a dedication to the team that exceeds his on-field frustrations, so I’m baffled when the American blogosphere is very suddenly concerned that Altidore needs to grow up.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/25 at 8:00 AM

Fair points Dan.

First, TSG is a publication–we don’t consider ourselves a blog. :> Secondly, any player banging in the hold-up striker role is going to blow a gasket here and there.

I’ll ask this though: When…when is it good to retaliate on the pitch? What does it earn you? It never does. There are ways of retaliating on the pitch if a player so choose–not that I’m advocating. They can come in the run-of-play, not when the refs eyes are on you.

That’s maturity of a player in terms of experience, not in terms of the opposite of childishness let’s say. I don’t care that Jozy overslept once and I hope he’s training at the highest level, however ill-timed cards (he’s had a few this season) but any team at risk (see Bradley, Michael before 2010.)

Many, many players, beyond a Puyol or Pirlo find a way to send a message on the pitch an effectively say, “You’re not going to do that to me” without getting caught or carded. Jay DeMerit is a great example of player who pushes the limits of fouls without getting caught.

This was a Hull City game that–for many American fans–only meant more Jozy observations and experience. But what if Altidore had reacted that way against say, England on June 12th against, say, John Terry.

Here’s what the outcome is. Capello puts in Upson, Lawson or Cahill in centerback and removes say Emile Heskey up top. Bob Bradley counters with….? Maybe Conor Casey is the lone striker up top at this point or Clint.

Just because Hutton might be playing “dirty soccer” doesn’t mean that what Jozy did was in the best interest of his team…because it wasn’t.

• Posted by Dan on 2010/04/25 at 10:16 AM

Gotcha. If we as fans and commentators are trying to use this instance as a teachable moment, rather than an opportunity to paint portraits of his flaws, then I support it. Here’s an opportunity for Jozy to grow, we’re saying, and judging by his apologies, it seems like Jozy is getting the message.

• One note: Jozy got a yellow last a week or two ago for taking an extra kick at a ball during a stoppage in play that had it contacted another player could’ve been a sending off. He does seem a bit more prone to flareups recently, something I think he’ll get a better handle on as he matures a bit.

Where he does that maturing will be another interesting conversation in the upcoming months.

3. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/04/25 at 8:29 AM

Don’t make it out to be more than it is. He reacted to a little provocation in a high pressure game where Hull needed 3 points. Yes, it was very silly, but you cannot buy experience – he’s still young. He will learn from this sillyness. In a perfect world, he would have found the back of the net and grinned at Hutton, as his “retaliation”.

• I agree. There’s a reason why what Hutton did is a sending off – it’s pure provocation. Jozy made a mistake by reacting instead of letting the referee deal with it. This is two players getting into it on the pitch in a high pressure situation and both getting sent off.

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/25 at 8:44 AM

I think there are two different arguments at work here.

1st Jozy’s maturity: To that the answer is as George states he’s learning
    2nd the specific act: It’s not excusable and it shouldn’t happen.

Jozy deserves the flack he is getting for it an he will learn from it and improve his game to remove those acts of retaliation.

• Right because if Jozy doesn’t get a handle on these types of “flair ups” it will be the target of many a defenders. Push, push, push til Jozy blows up. All that talent wasted b/c one can’t control his anger.

Bad day for the big man, but the real test is how he responds to this and later incidents.

5. Posted by Dylan on 2010/04/25 at 1:28 PM

So what now for Jozy? Does he continue to train with the team? Head to Villareal to train with his home squad? Kick back with a little R&R in the south of france? Back to the states to train with new strike partner Edson Buddle?

6. Posted by bajafresh on 2010/04/25 at 6:40 PM

the proper way to retaliate:

7. Posted by Dylan on 2010/04/25 at 7:26 PM

Absoulutely amazing! I will use that if I ever have the opportunity.

8. Studup.com just put out a comic about Jozy (and Zidane) check it out