Some States bullets for Tuesday:
• I’m not sure why media and fans continue to insist that Jonathan Spector is a viable option at left back for the Yanks. Spector is having a rough go of it right now at West Ham, but in his defense the entire West Ham defense is not that solid.
Since 2008, Specs owns 14 USMNT caps. Twelve times he’s been at right back…the other two? Center back. Gotta look somewhere else for your left back option.
• As questions continue on whether Herculez Gomez or Edson Buddle should be called, remember that Jeff Cunningham was called after not participating in the national team in 5 years and at the age of 33.
• Speaking of USMNT strikers, a Hull City message board claim states that Jozy Altidore–in what is a totally believable instance for us–returned a tweet to a Tigers supporter that commented, “thank you for your continued support, but unfortunately i was only on loan for this season and the club have not informed me about staying, i will go back to my parent club. once again sorry for Saturday.”
In our piece yesterday on Jozy’s relocation package, TSG commenter Freegle pointed out West Hammerville was an option to which I replied that a certain Carlton Cole was the key to any move there. If you read our piece, check this story on Cole’s possible relocation. Seems like the TSG community is on the right track….and West Ham could be a possible option for the Big Jeezy.
• 713 to 154. Minutes. Since the March friendly, World Cup wing candidates Alejandro Bedoya (high man) and DaMarcus Beasley (low man) have gone in opposite direction. Excluding stoppage time, Aljeandro Bedoya has featured in all but 7 minutes of Orebro’s 8-game season thus far.
The stats are downright murky for Run DMB. After taking the pitch in the 1st two games after his trip to Holland, Beasley hasn’t played a penny’s worth of minutes, including being absent from the 18 through the last three. Just a nick or more?
Robbie Rogers is peering through that opening right now.
• According to this piece on the MLS site (can’t promise it will still be there when you click), Iceman Stu Holden will “go Charlie Davies” and return to full practice in less than a week now. Gooch? Gooch anyone….how about an out-of-the-blue start for the big man in the middle?
• Quick, heaven forbid, one of the outside backs for the States stubs a toe and is unavailable in June…..who’s your eighth defender for the Yanks? Chad Marshall? Still battling injuries. Marvell Wynne? C’mon. Frank Simek? In and out of both the starting line-up and the 18 for Sheffield Wednesday.
We know we’re a broken record, but one level down in League One a certain Aston Villa loanster named Eric Lichaj (yes, TSG is a broken reord on this one) continues to draw rave reviews. Lichaj’s marks came against a Millwall team that’s got a good shot to be promoted to the Championship and who keeps Tottenham wunderkind Joseph Obika on the bench….so not too shabby.