The Weekend….

Apologies for skipping the last few weekend previews.

Once again Saturday, I’m out of pocket again. I don’t know what the means, I just know people say it when they’re not going to be around.

Oh no you can't against TSG this weekend....

I’ll be trying to catch the following games:

EPL: The Holdens vs. Hotspur on replay.

Is there an American you’re more excited to see on the pitch this weekend?

(Update: Holden misses the cut….not in the 18…buh-bummer. Did TSG, and Bolton fans, fall prey to a little buzz generation/late season ticket sales bid by Bolton?)

MLS: Dynamo vs. Kansas City

Amazing, Vermes, not Kinnear has the horses in this one. Everyone loves Dom Kinnear, some suggesting that he’s a candidate at some point for the US Men’s role. I didn’t pay attention to him much this year so I want to get some observations in.

In Vermes, he’s going up against a hard-nose who now has a plethora of attackers at his disposal. Meanwhile, the Dynamo will be weakened up the middle due to that major loss of Cameron.

Very interested in this one.

Bundesliga: Rico Clark vs. The Shin Guardian

Well it’s really Frankfurt vs. TSG Hoffenheim. I watched Maurice Edu last weekend; liked what I saw. What’s intriguing about Clark? Man, he can close on offenders. You hear that Walcott? You hear that?!

I believe this is on replay on The Tres.

EPL: Chelsea v. Liverpool

Going to try and get up for this one after some soccer team shenanigans Saturday evening. I’m a casual Everton fan, but I don’t really root for Liverpool to lose.

This game is about pride as a player. You may not like your coach. You may have seen that your teammate Lucas Leivi actually tweeted that the “team was coming apart” before he was shut down.

This game is about your pride as a player. I’m looking at you Mr. Gerrard.

——

Hey, can someone tell me where the Thursday and Friday night MLS games went. Those games were really getting me into the league. C’mon…whoever…

1. Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/04/30 at 6:25 PM

Gerrard has played his heart out for Liverpool for almost a decade. I hardly think he’s the one who needs to reminded to play for pride.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/04/30 at 6:27 PM

You’re a fan and we both remember him in 2005. Super odd how we only seems to exert himself when liverpool are flying.

I need to improve this preview or shaun add your thoughts.

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/04/30 at 6:59 PM

He’s rescued Liverpool many many times, before and after 2005. Yesterday he was all over the pitch making some key defensive tackles ( a couple of slips ), trying for shots, making some good and bad passes, taking all corners and running himself ragged (he was an attacking midfielder). His goal tally has certainly dipped this year but that has to do with other people scoring as well as not gelling with others on the pitch. He NEVER takes a game off. If he remains out of the picture its because a manager has said you must play on the left or somewhere out of position. For England he’s constantly drifting to the middle but then goes back to his position which can be a bit of barren area in football. One of his big flaws I believe is the same thing that plagued Rooney and Donovan in that he often tries to do to much. When he doesn’t and plays the position told off him he is accused of not trying…

Yesterday was a key example in that while Aquilani was very good and occasionally they had some lovely one twos, they were unfamiliar with each other, so the typical gerrard shot outside of the box never was hit with the timing from before.

I will agree that this season he has had a dip in form but to say he has not played with pride is ridiculous. After a step forward last season, Liverpool made several back this year and that has all to do with the manager and management. They sold a key component and replaced him with an injured player. They did not find a strike partner for Torres, let go of some key older players and did absolutely nothing to further their push for a premiership title. Gerrard wants one really badly and wants it with Liverpool, so he must be incredibly frustrated that the brass arn’t doing anything and if they are, are failing at pushing Liverpool into the top 4 which they want to believe they are part off, but frankly are not.

So who knows what Liverpool will do this weekend. It must be incredibly hard for Gerrard and Carragher to play their hearts out, so that their biggest rivals over take them in trophies. In 95, the same situation existed in which United needed a Liverpool win as well as their own to win the title. Liverpool could have lost or tied but did their part and won away from home against a Kenny Dalglish run Blackburn. United lost and therefore lost the title.

There are players, namely Babel who barely try at Liverpool but the rest, as good or as poor as they are, always put 100%. Leiva who has been ABUSED by fans and pundits alike, still works his ass off and has improved tremendously this year. Benayoun and Kuyt are tireless and the defense, a shadow of its former self, still works hard.

Liverpool have had of their most disappointing seasons in longer than possibly the oldest fan can remember. Their captain has been injured, had to play without his strike partner or a slew of others, had to deal with unstable owners, is playing out of his typical high standard form, a cold and in my opinion exhausted manager and now apparently his wife is sleeping with another football player. To accuse him of not playing with heart is possibly the last possible thing one can accuse him off.

Liverpool will play Chelsea exhausted and with nothing really to play for. They had such high expectations and didn’t come close to reaching any of them. Their future is in doubt as they are being sold, manager is hopefully leaving and possibly taking a major part of their spine with them. They will bounce back. Who knows when? but they will.

2. Posted by 723FootballFilms on 2010/04/30 at 10:20 PM

I hope Holden gets some time in these last two matches. He was sublime for Bolton in his first few appearances. And of course if Charlie isn’t fit to start (never doubt him) Holden is the odds on favorite to start on the right with Deuce up top.

3. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/01 at 6:45 AM

Off for most of the day…some one give me a lowdown on the games…

4. Posted by Jennifer on 2010/05/01 at 7:10 AM

39 minutes in, Dolo’s Hannover is up 4-0 against MB’s ‘Gladbach. Shots are about 10 to 1.

5. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/01 at 7:12 AM

Just to confirm, Holden did not make Bolton’s 18-man squad. It is all Tottenham in the opening 10 minutes. Tottenham are using width very well.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/05/01 at 1:57 PM

Tottenham are using their width very well? Well of course, Holden isn’t in the game.

6. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/01 at 7:38 AM

Ledley King is a Rolls Royce of a footballer. Fact.

7. Posted by Jennifer on 2010/05/01 at 8:23 AM

Dolo’s Hannover wins 6-1 over MB’s ‘Gladbach and Rico’s Eintracht Frankfurt give up 2 in the last 10 minutes and lose 2-1.

8. One interesting sidenote to the Houston v KC match is Kei Kamara’s return to Houston. He was generally liked by the fans last year though he was definitely a bit inconsistent, his trade was a bit of a shock move but seemed to stem from some friction between him and Dom Kinnear. Kamara has been in pretty good form this season save for that shocking miss last week.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/05/01 at 4:36 PM

I predict either a Houston loss or some lucky tie/extreme defensive (Houston) tie. One of the things I can’t wait for is seeing Kamara show Kinnear how wrong he was in trading him for abe thompson. At the very least, we should have gotten some midfielder to back up Holden since he had no backup.

• Or not :-) Dynamo showed some really good depth tonight, and major props to Sammy Appiah on his first pro appearance and first MLS goal.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/05/02 at 1:05 PM

I agree, but the red was a bit harsh. Sure it was studs up into the arm of Onstad, but he was trying to pull away. At first it looked 50-50 and then just kind of unlucky from Arnaud. If I was the ref that would have been a yellow and that scissors into chabala would have been a red.

Oduro showed me again why he annoys me though. You can back him saying he had a great game, but I would love to count how many times he completely ruined a good opportunity. Off the ball, he did great finding lots of open room, but that’s about it.

9. Posted by BW on 2010/05/01 at 11:49 AM

Gooch not in the 18 for Milan.

10. Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/01 at 12:29 PM

I was looking for the Thursday night game as well, I thought maybe I was missing something, they need to keep that going. I love MLS on Thursday nights.

11. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/01 at 10:52 PM

Two more for Buddle tonight plus an assist. I think he will make camp for sure lol.

Also, on MLS pregame, Ching said he expects to play by next week and he also expects to make the 30 for BB. He was also asked about Buddle and I was shouting to the tv “Dont’ answer, Don’t answer … he is trying to replace you!!”

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/05/02 at 1:17 PM

If only this were facebook…
      Kevin likes this!

Can anyone tell me how many Buddle has now? This just doesn’t seem buddle-ish to me. He’s not a terrific goal scorer (in my eyes), so to me it just seems like MLS is a bit fishy, but I always second guess anything with LA. Think about it like this… “Buddle is scoring goals, we should call him up” “But that’s all he can do, and he’s the only one with goals for LA this season” “HA! De La Garza just scored, and look who got the assist!”

12. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/02 at 12:03 AM

Also, looking ahead to 2014, Jack Mc also scored to open his professional account.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/02 at 8:21 AM

More like 2018…

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/02 at 8:57 AM

Umm … in 2014 he will be older (21) than what Jozy is now (20).

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/02 at 10:40 AM

I was referring to whether he’d be good enough to make the sqaud or not

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/02 at 5:43 PM

Sorry my bad. I guess I should learn my lesson from the early praise for Adu and Szetela. Which brings up another question about our youth development – how many leagues around the world allow players under 18 to play with the first team?

13. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/02 at 5:50 AM

A lot can happen in football in 4 years…

14. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/02 at 7:55 AM

WE ARE PALACE. SUPER PALACE!

15. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/02 at 8:56 AM

Goal for Dempsey! He also should get credit for two for his kick (the second Fulham goal) went off the back of a West Ham player and thus went down as an “own goal.”

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/02 at 5:45 PM

Ooops. I got the second goal wrong. I thought Dempsey had touched it b4 it went it in, but replay shows he was in box but did not touch it.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/03 at 8:19 AM

Nobody has mentioned Spector’s huge mistake which lead to Fulham’s 3rd goal.

16. Posted by Kevin on 2010/05/02 at 1:21 PM

The FSC announcers need to be fired. countless times they said Oduro when it was Palmer, and Palmer when it was Oduro. At the end Ashe got subbed off, and Appiah was running towards goal. All you could hear was… “Ashe now, Still with it. Ashe!” the other announcer now “Appiah just scuffed that”