Who’s In Your 2010 MLS-Adidas Commercial?

You know, I’m having trouble recalling the commercial fully now in my mind…thankfully.

You two guys are out!

All though the backing music is etched in my memory along with Sacha Kljestan’s way-too-theatrical goal celebrations.

They’ve finally stopped running it–that is, the MLS-Adidas commercial featuring Juan Pablo Angel, Sacha Kljestan and David Beckham. You know, something about a virtuso (please!) and a marksman (that shoe still fits…when heal is not injured).

Seems MLS didn’t want a plateaued midfielder and an injured down-sloping Brit to be the face of MLS. Kudos–good decision, finally….

Now the question–and I oddly can’t locate a video or image of the aforementioned one–what three stars replace Angel, Kljestan and Beckham as the mugs of MLS six weeks in to the season?

We started “debating” last evening on Twitter and here’s our starting list–remember you can only pick three.

Ryan Smith, Edson Buddle, DeWayne DeRosario, Kyle Beckerman, Roger Torres…a good start.

Let us know who and why.

TSG’s three:

We’re going with Ryan Smith (bring in some overseas fans), Edson Buddle (needs no explanation) and Roger Torres (new team, exciting player.)

Let youth–for the most part–be served.

1. Juan Pablo Angel – Done enough to keep his place, and NY needs all the help it can get, marketing-wise.

Kyle Beckerman – If we’re going to have a career MLS midfielder, it might as well be a successful one. Plus, the hair.

Roger Torres – Mark my words, he’s gonna be awesome. A future league MVP, unless he gets snapped up early by a big European side.

2. Posted by Berg on 2010/05/03 at 10:07 AM

To be honest I like your selections.

As a Wizards fan, I can say that Smith looks to be a genuine article. He’s young, played in one of the best known systems in soccer, and has stated he’d be very open to putting on the shirt for the USMNT (a man can dream right?)

Beckerman offers good recognition to the casual fan thanks to the “do” and his consistent play.

Buddle’s mercurial nature makes me hesitant to put him on the list, but the man is simply on fire lately.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/03 at 10:10 AM

I took Torres over Beckerman (and even DeRosario).

I went for younger players, minus Buddle. By the way, had Buddle not been a selection of mine, I put Gonzalez up there in a heart beat.

The elder players–media-wise–already draw some cache. Didn’t put DeRosario in case he gets injured…again…

• Posted by Berg on 2010/05/03 at 10:29 AM

I’m on board with the youth movement bouyed with an “elder statesman.”

I’m also glad to see Donovan off the list if the commercial is aimed primarily at those who already possess some awareness of the MLS brand. Chances are, they’re already familiar with him and leveraging his name to gain interest won’t be necessary. Building other players up around the league would be the better course of action.

3. As far as fan recognizably and popularity I think it would be stupid to not include Landon Donovan. He is the best and most well known player in MLS so it would seem like a good idea to include him. After this you have to go with DDR for the Canadian fan base. I don’t think MLS should be concerned with getting people overseas to become fans at least for now. The most important foreign base seems to be Canada due to the fact that they will have 2 teams next year and likely 3-4 in the future. For the last pick I think it could be smart to go with a smaller market player, but one who has great charisma in Jimmy Conrad. Jimmy is easily the best personality in MLS and he doesn’t get the recognition he deserves because he plays in KC. I don’t think someone like Ryan Smith who has played 5 career games for KC and not shown to be a sure star yet should be considered.

4. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/03 at 11:07 AM

If I was a marketing man at MLS, I would definitely go with the MLS players who make the 23-man squad and piggyback off that. Evan rightly suggests Donovan because of his importance to US football on the whole, and obviously because of his awareness. Regarding overseas fans, what country/ies is MLS broadcast in outside North America? I think you just have to grow the US (Canadian) market first before you try to grow too quickly. Remember, MLS/adidas can always make another ad next season…

As much as I agree that the old MLS/adidas advert run it’s course, and as much as Americans dislike Beckham (and I agree with a lot of the reasons), he still brought people to the game, which is evidenced by attendances spiking when the Galaxy were in town. Which ultimately is what this is all about – getting people to the game / watching MLS.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/03 at 11:28 AM

Or should I say any MLS player going to the WC, not just American players, as there will be many people watching the World Cup here in the US who aren’t MLS fans…

5. Posted by cesar on 2010/05/03 at 11:08 AM

Going with just players who’ve been great for their teams lately (and maybe overshadowed by other teammates), Zakuani (Sea), Nyarko (Chi), Robinson (NY), Opara (SJ) and Gonzalez (LA). Of the group only Opara is a first-year player. These guys should all be around for another year or two, and that’s important to remember when you’re asking who the “faces of the league” should be! Love the Beckerman and Torres calls!

6. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/03 at 12:28 PM

This year’s marksman should be Robie Rogers..(get it?)

My other 2 are Landon and Becks. The argument for Landon has already been stated but one thing about Beckerman that went unmentioned so far is that he captioned the defending champs…

7. Posted by Matt on 2010/05/03 at 1:02 PM

Edson Buddle, Kyle Beckerman, Guillermo Barros Schelotto

8. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/03 at 1:04 PM

Guillerrrrrrmo Guilerrrrmo Guillerrrrmo

3 goals and 1 assist in 4 games this season

16 goals in 2009/2010 (2nd top scorer)

7 goals and 20 assists from 2008/2009

5 goals and 25 assists from 19 games in 2007/2008

9. Posted by Barry on 2010/05/03 at 1:04 PM

I like Schelotto, Beckerman, and Buddle.

10. Posted by Ed on 2010/05/03 at 1:06 PM

Schelotto is the epitome of VIRTUOSO.

11. Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/03 at 1:17 PM

Here are a couple players possible, plus a snazzy little nickname for the commercial.
    Dononvan (A Playmaker), Beckerman (A Workhorse), Opara (A Beast), McBride (A Veteran), Ricketts (A Wall) everyteam needs……A 12th Man!

You could also throw in Gonzalez as “The Beast”

Maybe Jack Mcinnerenerney as “The Rook”

I think you have to put Landon in there, because he is the face, and will be for the season.

12. Posted by Randy on 2010/05/03 at 10:00 PM

Geoff Cameron until he got hurt.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/05/04 at 7:41 PM

No geoff Cameron until Dom started playing him in midfield. He’s a decent midfielder and good enough or MLS for now, but not to he the face of anything.

13. Posted by Matthew on 2010/05/05 at 8:39 AM