Choosing Your USMNT Jersey Is No Trivial Matter

Update from USSF: On the jerseys, at this point we can’t say exactly what they will wear, but there is senority with the numbers. For certain guys (Howard, Bradley, Dempsey, Landon, etc.) they are going to have the same number as usual. The numbers are provided to FIFA on June 1 with the final roster so we will have them at our announcement, if not right after.

TSG Community member B-Mac is back with the best numbers to have on your back come June 12th.

With the official release of the home USA jersey last Thursday, my mind instantly started racing to picking up a new jersey. This is no decision to be made lightly, when you are dropping $90 on a jersey it better be awesome now and in the future.

You can pretty much wear this one through World Cup 2042 in Oslo, Norway...

The guy who bought an authentic Bobby Convey jersey last World Cup is definitely not liking his decision today and the gal who purchased that Eddie Johnson one is hanging on my a tread in the hopes for redemption. Conversely, taking a shot at say a DaMarcus Beasley jersey in 2002 was probably a good investment, not so for a John Harkes’ kit in 1994.

Oh, and of course, a Brian McBride retro? Well that’s timeless.

Of course, there is no accounting for personal allegiance and preference, but based on present and future value, awesomeness and originality, I provide a list I hope to be useful for all those who live and breathe USA Soccer.

So with that, I present the top 10 players to have on the back of your USA jersey.

Bedoya: Already taking on the best with the Yanks...

10. Alejandro Bedoya – Bedoya cracks the top 10 by being the token “Who?” guy. Getting a Bedoya jersey justifies watching 15 matches a week, searching the internet frantically for Greek and Swedish League highlights, and missing out on movie night with your girlfriend to watch the Yank B-Teamers face El Salvador on ESPN Classic. Getting a Bedoya jersey is all about that moment when Alejandro comes in at the 82nd minute versus Algeria and notches an assist on a beautiful cross. You turn your back to your friends, point to the name on your shirt and say, “Yup, I saw him coming.”

9. Maurice Edu – After an impressive 2010 in the Scottish Premier League, our boy Mo has potentially earned himself a starting central midfield spot. Edu is now a member of Rangers’s lore after in this year’s Old Firm Derby, banging home the game-winner in stoppage time.

Defensive midfielders aren’t the most glamorous players’ jersey to sport, but Edu’s global (stops in Glasgow, Toronto, and New York and he’ll likely retweet that you got one giving you some serious street cred with your friends.

8. Jay DeMerit – If you enjoy a healthy pre-game before your USA matches and aren’t averse to a few well placed swears about John Terry, then a Jay DeMerit jersey is for you. In fact, just consider DeMerit the “Anti-Terry.” He gets along on heart more than skill and he’s certainly not going to “screw” his friends over.
DeMerit is the biggest badass on our squad, rocketing up from playing 7th tier English football to being a starter for the USA. The man survives elbows to the head and scratched eyeballs all while being my size at 5’11”. If you’re rocking a DeMerit on the streets of Rustenberg, no limey thugs will mess with you. Be authentic, copy the tats while you’re at it too.

7. Stu Holden – The immaculately coiffed one is now a favorite to start for the USA at right midfield. Now dropping crosses at a Bolton club that seems to legitimately want him, Holden’s stock is rising. You might say the Houston native is on the tipping point of being an USA superstar, just as Dempsey in ’06 and Donovan in ’02. A 2010 Holden jersey is cool for this World Cup, but will have legs if he becomes a star at Bolton.

6. Oguchi Onyewu – #6 for the man who is arguably the greatest American defender in its history? How dare I? I hate to say it, but Gooch is not in the best spot for now or the future. This World Cup was supposed to be Gooch’s true coming-out party, but injuries and a lack of opportunities on the club level force me drop him. I really hope that Gooch plays like did at the Confederations Cup and earns himself regular playing time at AC Milan, but since the odds of that aren’t as promising I’d hope, Gooch stays at six.

5. Charlie Davies – If you had asked me for my #1 in early October, I would have seriously considered Chuck D. The man is an absolute joy to watch, with the class and speed that has rarely, if never, been seen in American forwards. With his goal-scoring pace at Sochaux and the USMNT, Davies was pushing for being the next American superstar.

Unfortunately, the matter of a serious car accident in mid October cast doubt on the Deezy’s World Cup ticket. If you rock a #9 Davies jersey and Charlie is on the plane to South Africa, I can think of no more meaningful, empowering, and important jersey to wear. If our boy cannot make it back in time, a CD9 jersey could leave you ever so wistful, conjuring up could have beens and reminders of another Conor Casey shot gone awry. Get back to full-strength soon Charlie, so that the US #9 goes from hope to jubilation.

4. Michael Bradley -I’m sure this is way too high for some of you. Bradley has been unfairly maligned for much of his USA career, whether it is being a product of nepotism, defensive liabilities, not holding possession, or lack of discipline. The fact though is that Bradley is absolute class and can be the one to pick up the mantle of John O’Brien and Claudio Reyna. MB90 is just 22-years-old and has been producing on club and international level since he was in his teens. He can score, demonstrated by his 16 goals he scored in his last season with Heerenveen, as well as lead a team,proving himself an integral member of Bo’Munchen’s midfield.

After this World Cup it’s not hard to believe Bradley will be playing with one of Europe’s biggest clubs, so cop your number 4 jersey before the bandwagon does.

3. Landon Donovan- He’s the USA’s best player, how can he not be number one? Unfortunately for LD, originality counts for something in the jersey game. Starring with the USMNT since 2002 has led Donovan to be by far the most worn jersey among the Yank faithful. You might look fly in your fresh LD jersey, but when you see every yahoo who wants to jump on the World Cup bandwagon wearing a Donovan piece, you might not feel so special. LD, you’re number one on the field and in our hearts, but not on our backs.

Then again he did engineer “The Counter Attack Heard Round The World!” with better-than-German precision.

2. Jozy Altidore – I love Jozy Altidore, to the point that I’m seriously considering naming my first-born son Josmer, seriously. The man plays with power and pace and can lay down a stanky leg after he scores. He runs the twitter game, outmuscles Joan Capdevillla, and head-butts Scotsmen who dare throw a ball at him. An Altidore kit is an excellent choice; he’s not so popular yet that it’s played-out, but is notable enough that in the run-up to the cup the more casual fans can compliment your jersey.

Oh and he’s on 20. You might get two more World Cups out of that piece of plastic.

Number 1

1. Clint Dempsey – As every week passes, I become more and more confident that 2010 is Deuce’s World Cup.

The man is in the best form of his career, knocking in two of the best goals in the world this season.  At age 27, Dempsey finally has the knowledge and experience to match his immense talents. And with it looking more likely that he will be playing in a more forward role for the USA, we should see an attacking Deuce freed of those defensive responsibilities that have been the bane of Dempsey and USMNT fans’ existence.

With a sweet nickname, tough attitude and rap song that has been adapted as a staple of the US Soccer culture, no man better represents what is to be a USA soccer supporter. From the streets of South Africa to San Francisco, there is no better jersey choice to represent your USA fandom than a fresh 2010 Dempsey jersey.

1. Posted by obxfly on 2010/05/06 at 6:33 AM

Haven’ t both Holden and Feilhaber worn the #22. Whose going to get it this summer?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/06 at 7:36 AM

Good question. Seniority dictates that Feilhaber gets it, but I’m not sure they both still wear it. I feel Holden was wearing 25 last time?

• Holden has been wearing #7 for the Nats for a while now best I remember, he wore 22 for the Dynamo.

• Correction: he was in fact wearing #22 for the Holland match.

• Posted by Stephen on 2010/05/06 at 10:15 AM

Holden wears 22 while with Houston but his preferred number is 7. He stated on his web site Q&A that he will wear 7 for WC http://www.stuholden.com/q-a/. Now the question is if Beasley makes it does he get seniority and get 7 and people like me that already got the Holden home jersey with 7 on it get screwed. I did this with Donovan in 2006 when I went to Germany and now I’m the guy with a Donovan jersey with 21 on the back. I guess I did better than my friend that got the Twellman jersey. I got to laugh at him all WC in 2006. If i chose wrong i think BB owes me two signed jerseys.
          steve

• Posted by Ian on 2010/06/03 at 8:12 AM

Holden is wearing the 11 at this world cup. Feilhaber has 22.

• I’d prefer he wears #7 for some reason. It looks better and he is on the right wing. Obviously 10 is out of the question, and hasn’t Feilhaber worn 16 before? or was it 5? I say Holden wears 7 and Beasley wears…99 for all I care.

2. Posted by Donald on 2010/05/06 at 6:53 AM

This post was great and was right up my alley since I’m trying to figure out who to customize my jerseys with this year. The fortunate thing is that I already have jerseys with my favorite players: a 07 Donovan Copa America (that he wore against Ecuador when he scored the hat trick), 08 Davies home, 08 Altidore home, 06 Beasley home, 06 Gooch home, 04 Deuce away, 06 Bradley away, 08 Johnson home and a 96 McBride red alternate (with the 06 number set to make it look like an 06 jersey). Who do I go with now? Stu is an option, maybe another Deuce or Chuck Deezy or Jozy, maybe an Edu jersey…the possibilities are endless. I will likely wait for the roster to be announced before making my final decision, since I will later get the WC players patch to add to my jersey like I have for others (including last years Confederations Cup patch on my Altidore jersey).

3. Posted by bryan on 2010/05/06 at 7:04 AM

i have my Copa America USMNT jersey. with Dempsey. been rocking that for 3 years now.

4. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 7:07 AM

How dare you leave Howard off this list! IMO, he is your best player, and at 31, should have 2014 too.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/06 at 7:12 AM

Do you know how uncomfortable and AWKWARD a goalie jersey is to wear in public…you often don’t even know what team it is.

I think that’s just England’s lament at not having a keeper that is worthy of even playing in the Gold Cup.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 7:27 AM

It’s my bias as a keeper myself.

I have only ever owned two tops with a name/number on the back, and only one England one (1966 fersey with no. 6).

Joe Hart would be the USA No. 2.

If I were American, I rock the Howard top, no problem. 100% serious.

• I think you could rock a Howard #1 on a regular shirt and only look slightly weird. It’d be better to have a Guzan #22 for Villa since 22 isn’t such a lonely and awkward number on a non-keeper shirt.

• George, who knew we had so much in common? I too am a keeper. And let me say that your comment is ridiculous. I can’t stand wearing a keeper jersey when I’m actually playing keeper, and you think it’d be cool to wear it in public?

I’m with you that he deserves respect, but this choice is as much about looking good and being comfortable as it is about showing Our Boys some support.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 9:27 AM

Gol / Jon – you *can* actually wear a regular USA jersey with a #1 and Howard on the back if you want. You don’t have to wear a padded keeper top. In fact, a lot of the keepers’ tops these days don’t have padding – keep an eye out when you watch your next game. Plus, we’re not in the 1990s anymore with those ghastly colour schemes…

• Posted by Blazindw on 2010/05/06 at 8:14 AM

I actually have a Howard 08 home GK jersey (neon green) and a Keller 08 away GK jersey (highlighter yellow). They fit really snug, which is why I haven’t worn them, but otherwise I’d wear them all the time…among my prized possessions. Also, I have a 00 red GK jersey with #1 on the back (used in a U-15 or U-17 match back then). It’s pretty fresh.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/06 at 3:39 PM

I saw some dude at the HDC match against Hondo rocking a God-loving Tim Howard kit. THE WHOLE KIT WITH PANTS AND ALL.

5. Posted by Cameron on 2010/05/06 at 7:07 AM

Is it 100% safe to say that Dempsey will be wearing number 8 at the Cup? I’m getting a jersey and I don’t want to get the wrong number for him since they haven’t made player jerseys yet and you have to personally customize them by adding a name and number.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/06 at 7:14 AM

You know — let me see if USMNT will comment on this…

• Posted by Blazindw on 2010/05/06 at 8:18 AM

Here are my educated guesses at the locks in numbers at the World Cup:

1 – Howard
        3 – Boca
        5 – Gooch
        6 – Dolo (if he makes it)
        7 – Beasley or Holden (if they make it)
        8 – Deuce
        9 – Deezy (if he makes it)
        10 – Landon
        15 – DeMerit
        17 – Jozy (don’t let the #12 he wore against the Dutch fool you…he’ll take #17)
        18 – Guzan
        22 – Feilhaber or Holden (if they make it and if Holden doesn’t have #7)

Still not sure what Bradley will wear, as he has had #4, #6, and #12 in official competitions. Also, don’t know what Edu would wear if he made the squad or Bornstein or Spector…they’re always rotating numbers. I figure that the rest of the numbers are pretty much up for grabs.

• Posted by Stephen on 2010/05/06 at 10:18 AM

I got the away deuce jersey with and 8 on it. I think I’m safe.
      s

• Dempsey has worn 8 for nearly all of his national team career. I have an 06 Dempsey home #2 jersey but I don’t really care and I still wear it all the time because he is Deuce. I also own an 05 home Onyewu #22 (what he used to wear). I really don’t care if I have the numbers wrong. It just shows that I have been a fan long enough to have the players in their old numbers.

6. Posted by dude on 2010/05/06 at 7:09 AM

Michael Bradley doesn’t have the skill to be compared to either O’Brien or Reyna. He is valuable, but in a box to box manner; he reacts well to the game and can make decent passes and shots, but this comparison is rather weak.

• I definitely don’t think the comparison is weak. Maybe on the basis of comparing their reputations, but then MB is so young and has been involved with the US system since, oh I don’t know, birth.

He’s got oodles of skill (see also: Confeds Cup, 09 Dutch League season), he’s got leadership qualities (stone-faced intensity can be contagious, and his dad is Sweatpants, a media-shy player’s coach, much like son), and he’s got offensive potential to compliment nicely with his defensive grit.

If his career was over before this World Cup, he might not ever be mentioned in the same breath as Obie or Reins (coined it!), but if MB can help get us past the first knockout round, he will be “on the same block,” a la the immortal Mercury Morris (if you don’t know, ya betta ask somebody).

7. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 7:30 AM

If I were to get an outfield player, I’d take a punt and go for Holden (if fit). I like the idea of this being the time where the world sits up and takes notice. I like being ahead of the curve!

• George, this is how I’m leaning if I can talk the fiancee into letting me get a USA jersey. I’ll tell her she can borrow it :-)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 9:34 AM

Dude, just buy it. Just promise he that you’re not going to bust it out when you go for dinner!
        Mrs. Cross has zero clue what I have bought recently. She’ll find out in June!

8. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/06 at 7:40 AM

ordered #9 Davies Home last thursday….havent got it yet tho. Taking it with me to South Africa.

On that note…my flight for J-burg leaves 5 weeks from today….ooo god i cant wait.

9. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/06 at 7:45 AM

this actually reminds me that I have a light blue England jersey from the mid-90s that my uncle got me …it could certainly become a handkerchief for my trip….baaaahahaha…please dont hate me George.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/06 at 8:01 AM

mid 90s…wrong…it was the 1988 England alternate jersey which was never worn in competition haha…how the crap did my uncle get a hold of one of these in the mid-90s?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 9:40 AM

Mrs Cross & I leave on 13th June. It’s going to be a long flight from JFK to CPT for her as I will remind her each hour that the USA has zero points and sit on the bottom of Group C!

I do remember that kit, with the likes of Robson, Butcher and Beardsley. I know you’re a England fan deep down Colin!

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/06 at 9:51 AM

I will only admit that after June 12 haha. My dads side of the family (Chapman) has English roots somewhere along the line.

That jersey isnt the only England paraphernalia that I own…ive also got a more recent track jacket that my dad got me chistmas ’08. However, it has been safely stored in my closet since Dec 4 ’09.

10. Love the topic of this post.

Since my wife doesn’t like me shelling out $100 every two years for a white US shirt, I try to get mine on sale which means I can usually make my player choice with hindsight. I have the 2002 White with #22 Sanneh (who was a beast in the ’02 Cup), 2004 White Qualifying Jersey with #22 for Gooch (simply for his bitchslapping of Borgetti), 2006 White McBride (for the bloodied face in the Italy game), and the 2008 White with a #9 Davies (for the impact he had at opening up the field in the Confed Cup).

If I were to get a 2010 Home right now, I’d have to go with the Deuce or Altidore, but the Holden choice by GeorgeCross is a solid “ahead of the curve choice.”

11. I got an 06 Onyewu that I wear so much, the people I play soccer with call me “Onyewu.” Some don’t even know my real name.

It’s in bad condition though (did I mention I play in it?), so I’m in the market for a new one also.

Amazing that you are so spot on with what I’m thinking Matt. Cheers to your soccer telepathy.

12. I’m down to either Deuce or Holden in my decision. I’m also holding out to see if a third red kit comes out before the tournament.

13. Posted by Andy on 2010/05/06 at 8:49 AM

I was thinking I couldn’t afford a USA jersey, much less a personalized one. This post has me thinking if there is a way I can find the $$$ to buy one. Ugh, I really hope I can find some cash for one.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 9:53 AM

As a child, I used to always ask for the new England or Palace kit when asked what I wanted for my birthday or Chrimbo (didn’t always get). But since my late teens when I financially stood on my own two feet, I started to think twice about buying a new kit everytime it came out, due to costs (and also because many places banned club tops as it caused too much trouble, which meant that I wore it less). I tried to be rational when buying as it is a lot of money for essentially a t-shirt. I ended up buying a 1966 long sleeve Bobby Moore top because it will always be relevant (which I still have today, although a little snug due to er er “shrinkage”). So, as an idea, if you need to be a little thrifty, perhaps you could get a 2006 McBride top as he is a legend in US Sawker. This way, you don’t have to feel oblidged to always buy a new top every two years – and it in NO way means you supposrt the team any less, which is the most important thing IMO (not that you need a top to support your team either).

• A 2006 McBride shirt might be a bit hard to come by these days, watch out for eBay fakes. Your point about always asking for a new England or Palace shirt brings up an interesting point about the US jerseys. You can often find discussions about the US not having a consistent shirt, and this lack of continuitiy leads to a lack of identity. However, I am a fan of the different shirts every 2 years since it gives me a reason to shell out the hard earned cash (once they go on sale that is) whereas your parents, and now yourself, are more reluctant to spend the money due to Palace’s home shirt being relatively the same from year to year, and England’s are pretty close to being the same every year with a few aberrations thrown in there.

• Posted by Stephen on 2010/05/06 at 10:21 AM

I have a friend that has an away Mc Bride jersey from 2006 WC. I might see if he wants to sell it.
          s

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 10:27 AM

I am a little bit of a traditionalist – I love the fact that different teams have their own colours. It makes me proud. And when I used to go to Selhurst Park, it was great when the whole stadium would sing “Stevie Coppell’s Red Blue Army” – can’t really sing that if they change their kit!

Would you want the US’s home kit to change from white? I think it’s great to have an identity and it will help develop a football culture in this country. But that’s just my opinion though…

• I’m not really talking about drastic changes to the kits, Palace wouldn’t look right with different colors but basically their home kit changes have been the width of the red and blue stripes. The US changes haven’t exactly been subtle over the past couple of iterations, but we always wear white with some red and blue mixed in there when we’re at home.

• For anyone who’s interested in a 2006 McBride Jersey, check this out:: http://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/International-Teams-North-America/c23_80/index.html?page=7&osCsid=qv4tm0aigb13632oo5bqe57b96

Someone snapped up the Home version but there’s still an away version.

• Posted by pino on 2010/05/06 at 10:41 AM

try ebay

• Posted by Nick on 2010/05/14 at 6:03 PM

Another good place to look for shirts that people would be willing to sell is the forums on FootballShirtCulture.com or ClassicFootballShirts.co.uk (which has a 2006 Home US shirt, size Large but you probably wouldn’t be able to get the printing for it unless USSoccer has some leftover from that cycle).

14. Posted by Johnny on 2010/05/06 at 9:07 AM

Went with Demerit. After the Holland friendly, it felt like a no-brainer.

And that was before I saw this photo of a very typical De Rossi challenge from the Confederation’s Cup.

15. Posted by Birdie on 2010/05/06 at 9:14 AM

This post is great. Thanks! I posed this question on this site a few weeks ago. (The previous sentence is blatant pandering. Apologies, I couldn’t help myself) As a still “maturing” soccer fan this gives me some very good, very current insight. Plus jersey buying selection, to me, always sparks fantastic sports-nerd debate. Everyone has there own personal criteria, and in reality no one’s “pick” is wrong. To me, even though I’m an ardent Dempsey fan (my first real soccer experience being a game @ Craven Cottage w/ a Dempsey goal last year – so in a lot of ways Dempsey’s the reason why I care about this at all) his rap video shatters the unintentional comedy scale – I just can’t pick him. Oh, I want him to eviscerate all comers and will be cheering for him most of all, I’m just going to discretely pass on his jersey. Despite totally being on the Altidore bandwagon, his pick is too easy. Donovan’s is way to easy. I want to be 2 steps ahead; I want to be playing checkers when everyone else is playing chess (what did I tell ya – super sports nerd alert!). It’s down to Bradley, Edu, or DeMerit. This post helped me get there though. Thanks!

• Posted by Birdie on 2010/05/06 at 9:18 AM

Crap! (slapping forehead) Invert checkers and chess. I think you’re smelling what I stepped in though.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/06 at 9:38 AM

just dont get an Adu jersey haha

• If you want to be a chessmaster while the rest are playing checkers you could get a McInerny #9 printing or Duka #10 or Gil #10. There’s a couple of names for 2014 or 2018.

• But that could bite you in the ass like getting an Adu shirt after the U-20 World Cup a few years ago did.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/06 at 3:56 PM

I love you Nick

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/07 at 11:16 AM

Or a Hamid #1 (if course for 2018). BTW, US Soccer is STILL selling Adu t-shirts with is face on them etc. Obviously, the casual fan who is not in the know must still be buying them off of name recognition. I hope Freddy is getting some of the cut off of those.

• Posted by Nick on 2010/05/08 at 6:57 AM

Antonio – Birdie opened the window so I had to throw the Duksters name in there for you.

16. Posted by dabes2 on 2010/05/06 at 10:10 AM

Last world cup I went w/ Onyewu in white. Feeling bold about his prospects after watching that Borghetti stare down live in Columbus. Still wearing that one with pride. But another major factor not referenced in this story is “what else is in your closet”. When I decided to go w/ Gooch in 06, a key factor was that I was already in possession of a Beasley PSV shirt. If not for that, I could have easily gone w/ Beasley for 06 (after that great goal off the short corner in the Mexico game).

Can’t wait to see my first 2010 Gomez/Buddle shirt from someone looking to make a statement. You know you’re out there.

17. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/06 at 10:25 AM

This is Matthew from TSG.

Here’s a thought. I am seriously considering getting a Bornstein jersey. I….just….said….that.

Those who have been reading here no I think his game is strong (and remember one of my first columns was on Edson Buddle being given run-out).

Anywho. I’m reasoning it this way.

It’s like going to Vegas and betting on, say, the Milwaukee Bucks to win the NBA Championship.
    If they actually end up doing it, you look like an outright genius because you are quite possibly the only one who bet on the Bucks.

Imagine a game-saving play or critical goal is scored by the player. You look like a genius.

Say the player disappoints, you can always make the, “I thought supporting him and showing confidence in him would improve his game” comment.

You know what, this is such a great idea I might have to throw in Rico Clark and Conor Casey.

I believe if I got a jersey this year, I would go with McBride in a 2010 edition. I don’t know anyone getting that.

18. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 10:31 AM

Nobody has mentioned Spector. He’s a solid member of the first XI and is here to stay. But maybe that’s the equivalent of getting a Neville shirt…

• Except Specs isn’t a douchebag with a Klejstan-esque mustache.

• GC, where are you going in SA and when? I believe your airport abbreviations were for Cape Town and I will be there at some point during the world cup.

I think we need a TSG post tracking the community and where they are going to be for the world cup, so we can have TSGSA2010 meetups.

I wish I liked either of these jerseys more. still debating if I’m gonna get one or hold out with the 08 Dempsey home. I love that jersey so.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 11:13 AM

Biggy, glad you pointed out that I used the three letter airport code – that is very sad indeed!

Arrive in Cape Town Monday 14th, and there for almost 2 weeks with a 3 or 4 day wine country visit and Garden Route tour sandwiched in the middle. Leave Cape Town morning of Sunday 27th for Kruger.

Oh, and did I tell people that I managed to blag England vs Algeria tickets for face value (albeit in the nose bleeds)?

• as sad as it is that you used it, its worse that i know it. we will be there for england algeria game as well. we will have to meet up, although i will be strongly on the algeria bandwagon for that game (Chamo will not)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 4:03 PM

Biggy, why the hate? There’s enough room for both teams to progress.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 4:19 PM

Matthew – with 36 days to go, I feel that people are fired up enough already without you adding fuel to the fire.

In all honesty, what do you think the score will be on 12th June?

19. Posted by pino on 2010/05/06 at 10:39 AM

The girl friend got me a Fulham Dempsey jersey for the holidays so even though the deuce is my favorite by far im leaning towards a davies home. I do like the idea of a bedoya shirt though so maybe ill change my mind. BTW is there actually an alternate third jersey thats red? because if thats real im thinking ill get that with Davies on the back. I wished that sash on our home jerseys was red it would look shrap. that or it would just look like a River Plate jersey. regardless it would have been cool!

• I was in a soccer shop two weekends and the guy behind the counter was talking about the white home kit (that was just about to be released) and that they were hoping to get the red third shirt. I couldn’t tell if that was just speculation or not though.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/06 at 4:04 PM

The red kit is a fake, although it would probably sell the most. I don’t think we’ll be seeing a predominantly red jersey for a while(if ever) most likely because America’s long-standing belief that the Reds are our enemies and jingoistic BS like that.

• Posted by Nick on 2010/05/08 at 6:59 AM

And our horrific, dreadful, abomination of a performance the last time we wore red in a tournament (1998).

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/07 at 11:22 AM

I saw the red one in Dick’s Sporting Goods and it is the warm-up shirt that Nike made for the team. The back is already taken as it has the spiraling snake and USA on it. They look really cool but are very thin having been made with the DRI-fit material. BTW, Howard’s new kit that he wore for the Netherlands was red and I thought it was the best looking GK kit I have seen. If Nike sells it, I can see fans buying that one.

20. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 11:17 AM

I think it’s brilliant that the (European) season is coming to an end, and everybody is getting giddy and fired up for the biggest sporting spectacle in the World.

36 days until England beat USA!

21. Posted by Dan on 2010/05/06 at 11:29 AM

I ordered a new Dempsey away shirt the other day, number 8 of course. Thinkin of a Davies home shirt, but if he doesn’t make the 23 man roster, I’ll hold off till after the World Cup, I think.

I have an Onyewu jersey that we were in the 06 World Cup, I bought it around 05 or 06 and it was when he was number 22. I bought a Feilhaber jersey after the Gold Cup in 07 where he wore number 5.

Now Onyewu wears 5 and Feilhaber 22, kinda funny how that worked out.

22. No need to have any number on the shirt for me. That way it’s representing everyone in the squad. Go figure that I’d have the democratic view on that. It’s economical too, as with 4 year national team cycles players come and go. That being said, I’m more likely to want to get a t-shirt or polo shirt as it’s much less expensive than a replica shirt.

RE: kit numbers – I miss the olde skool from the 1st div. football league days in England. The manager would tell the equipment manager the selection for the match. If a shirt numbered 1 – 11 was hanging in that players locker, he knew he was starting. This was before names on the back though in the olde days of Nigel Clough and Stuart “Psycho” Pearce when Ryan Giggs was just on solid food.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 2:52 PM

I must admit, I love the idea of 1 – 11 numbers for the first team and 12 – 18 for the subs. Noy a big fan of players having 52 etc…

• Posted by itally on 2010/05/06 at 3:02 PM

This is where I think rugby gets it right — you wear the number of the position you play. No messin’ around! I think this is why I tend to buy my soccer jerseys w/o numbers…I get all agitated when players switch up numbers. Plus, I’m cheap — no name/ number saves money…that, and the fact I can fix a kid’s XL ;)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 4:11 PM

Football’s numbering was *traditionally* is governed by their position. Then came along came large squads and squad numbers… But good call on rugby!

• I realize that this is a month late, but what about just getting a number with no name. USSoccer.com sells them that way and you’ll only pay for half the printing (instead of Soccer.com which would charge you $30 regardless of whether there’s a name on it or not). Get a classy number like 10, 9, or 11 and if anyone asks just mention the traditional numbering for association football gave out numbers based on the positions.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/06 at 4:10 PM

The exact reason why I hate watching AC Milan play, George. What the hell is wrong with Ronaldhino and Abate and all the other guys? Who do they think they are? Dennis Rodman?

Also, I think the 1-11 starters generates an added sense of chemistry & cohesion. Don’t know what it is but it just looks more aesthetic

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 4:13 PM

Antonio, deep down, you’re a traditionalist! I said the T word…

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/06 at 4:47 PM

Or maybe I play too much Fifa…but then again…there’s no such thing as “too much Fifa”

…not that there’s anything wrong with being a traditionalist. Ha

• Posted by Nick on 2010/05/14 at 6:10 PM

Is it just me or is Serie A much worse than the other leagues when it comes to American Throwball style numbers???

• Posted by Nick on 2010/05/14 at 6:10 PM

Charles – not having the number on the National team shirt is usually a bad idea as most look horriffic (too much beer to care about spelling at this point) on their own. The current US Home/Away, England White (is that their home or away) being excpetions to the rule, so rocking this year’s offerings without a player name and number is completely acceptable.

23. Posted by MJ on 2010/05/06 at 2:24 PM

Speaking of fan gear, am I being a total nerdfan or would anyone else like copies of memorable games (like our win against Spain in the Confed Cup) on dvd? That would be awesome though utterly disastrous for my productivity.

24. During the World Cup I wear a 1990 white jersey or 1994 ‘denim’ jersey. I buy my customized USA jerseys after the tournament. I choose the player I think represented us best. Last time it was Dempsey. Before that, O’Brien. Before that, Hejduk.

This time? I hope it’s Altidore, Bradley, or Donovan, but it might be Onyewu.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 4:57 PM

Can’t believe I didn’t think about this earlier: 1994 top with Wegerle No. 10. Class.

• Posted by Nick on 2010/05/14 at 6:13 PM

In 2002 Johnny O was badass, but don’t forget the tournament that Tony Sanneh had, quite the unsung hero playing multiple positions, and doing it well. As for your ’06 comment, how could the bloodied face of Brian McBride not represent US Soccer the best? God, the USMNT misses his presence.

25. Posted by KL on 2010/05/06 at 2:54 PM

I completely missed the pondering phase and went straight into buying a Dempsey home jersey the day it was released.

I hedged my bet on the away jersey when I got a Chuck Deezy 9 kit.

Already got Jozy’s hull jersey, but probably gonna get him with the third red ones (hoping they come out with one).

26. Posted by DC on 2010/05/06 at 3:32 PM

Does any one know where to get a world cup sleeve patch for my jersey. I looked on eBay and they seemed to have multiple materials ie. Velvet/cloth or embroidery. I don’t know what the official are made of, but I am always weary of eBay fakes.

27. Posted by Swa on 2010/05/06 at 4:19 PM

I had been debating between Davies and DeMerit for months now. Davies for the inspirational value and JDM to signify how much of a badass I am. But after watching all of the Don’t Tread challenge videos 17 times each, following Fulham’s run to the Europa Final and shedding a tear at the beauty of the Stoke and Juve goals, I knew it had to be Deuce. All signs point to this tournament belonging to him, and when he heads a gorgeous Holden cross past a hapless Robert Green and all of Royal Bafokeng erupts I’ll be right in the middle of it all pounding the #8 on my chest.

28. Posted by mike on 2010/05/06 at 4:22 PM

jozy will be 17?

29. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/06 at 6:17 PM

Btw Matt, it would’ve been so much better if you put the Holden highlight up in spanish(cough*PabloRamirez*cough*)

30. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/06 at 6:44 PM

Not sure if anybody saw this article regarding Holden’s fitness on Sky.

31. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/07 at 11:09 AM

I don’t know if this means these are the numbers for SA, but Nike is selling three USMNT T-shirts for specific players: White – Gooch w/5 on the back; Red – Dempsey w/8 on the back; and Blue – Donovan w/10 on the back.

32. Posted by Ricky on 2010/05/07 at 12:47 PM

Does anyone know if/when the long sleeve versions will come out?

33. Posted by yo on 2010/05/08 at 1:32 AM

no one else getting JF Torres #23

34. Posted by Wilson on 2010/05/13 at 8:54 PM

Michael Bradley wears #12 more than #4. I think that is anti-terry deserves #4

35. well i just picked up my home USMNT jersey, no name no number i support the the entire team :)

36. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/17 at 9:33 PM

Who’s got your Ballack?(trademarking this now, out it on a hirt if you want, just make sure i get 35% of the profit)

37. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/20 at 11:10 PM

I STILL don’t know who to put on my back…

38. [...] » Brian will be covering the USMNT in camp for us this week. You know him from such features as “2006 vs. 2010” and the immensely popular “Choosing Your USMNT Jersey Is No Trivial Matter.“ [...]

39. Posted by Stephen on 2010/05/26 at 9:43 AM

Well way to show up Beasley. Now I am going to have your number with Holden’s name. Second WC in a row I fucked that up.
    s

• I’ve actually been debating on this one, I’m down to either Dempsey or Holden. Do we know for sure that Holden is 22?

• No worries after this Cup, Holden will take the #7 from DaBease and you can claim you bought your jersey in preparation for the 2011Gold Cup and 2011 Copa America.

40. Posted by Ricky on 2010/05/26 at 11:57 AM

Here’s a name that hasn’t been mentioned much-what about the current Captain America? I initially ordered an Altidore, thinking for the future and he sports my favorite number. But I switched to Bocanegra because he’s a respected vet and I think it’s a jersey that will last even after he’s retired. Plus, despite currently being captain, Boca is probably not a common choice for a jersey.

• Posted by Swa on 2010/05/26 at 8:07 PM

I was just thinking that today after I ordered my Deuce jersey. He’s a class act, has been captain for a while, and it would be a great way to show that you’re a serious fan without coming across as smarmy.

• My fiancee will be getting a Boca jersey, partially because she has a crush on him, but I think he’s a good choice for the other reasons mentioned as well.

41. Posted by Birdie on 2010/05/26 at 7:11 PM

Well, my #4 Michael Bradley (away) jersey arrived today. I guess I’m risking it with his history of wearing different #s but whatever. I like it. In the end, I liked that he’s young enough to play in another WC, he’s more often then not overlooked, and my rudimentary knowledge of soccer where I equate one MF per team akin to the team’s Point Guard or Shortstop, sorta like the on-field Quarterback directing traffic and such which I like.

I did my homework and nearly went w/ DeMerit. With Torres making a late charge for all of the reasons I liked Bradley in the first place.

Again, thanks…

42. I just amassed enough GoalClub points to get the home jersey for free from Eurosport. Now I just have to wait and see who wears what number and who shows well in SA…and for my wife to calm down on her hatred of my ordering every US Home kit.

43. Posted by Stephen on 2010/05/28 at 4:37 AM

Beasley is in so now I have a number 7 Holden kit. Run DMB got me. Uhgg!
    s

44. Posted by obxfly on 2010/05/29 at 6:46 PM

Right after this was posted I commented on what number Holden was going to wear because he was my son’s favorite player and I had just picked up his jersey for him. We got to the statium a little early today and both Holden and Cherundolo were the only players still on the field and not getting ready for warm ups. He saw my son in his 22 away jersey, walked to the edge of the field and signed his jersey. He also went out of his way to make my son’s day. Definitely a moment neither of us will forget for a long, long time. Oh and his leg is doing just fine. He told me himself.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/29 at 7:03 PM

I interviewed stu after the game and I’m going to forward this story to his agent.

• Posted by obxfly on 2010/05/30 at 2:09 PM

That would be cool. We got a real good picture of him signing the jersey. That photo along with the jersey and game ticket will go in a frame on my son’s wall soon.

45. Posted by jcbata on 2010/05/29 at 7:49 PM

I just ordered myself a Jozy away jersey. I got my wife a jersey, but no name. She couldn’t make a decision. I couldn’t justify the spending the money on my kids when they will just grow out of them quickly. They have old replicas. Donovan for my son & Hamm for my daughter.

46. Posted by spencer on 2010/05/30 at 10:38 AM

I was planning on getting one of the new away jerseys, and should I get Bradley or DeMerit?

47. Posted by Taylor on 2010/05/30 at 2:43 PM

Stu just tweeted that he is #11:

stuholden22

Oh and p.s. Sorry to all those w 22 jerseys, I am num 11 for WC! I became a victim of seniority!! :) long flight ahead, time to sleep!

48. Posted by Jennifer on 2010/06/01 at 6:29 AM

15 Jay DeMerit 16 Jose Torres
    17 Jozy Altidore 18 Brad Guzan
    19 Maurice Edu 20 Robbie Findley
    21 Clarence Goodson 22 Benny Feilhaber
    23 Marcus Hahnemann

49. Posted by Joe on 2010/06/01 at 7:27 AM

HOLDEN IS #11…thats what I got on my jersey.

50. Posted by Gino on 2010/06/02 at 3:20 AM

Just got my blue Bocanegra (#3) in the mail today. This is actually the only jersey I’ve ever gotten with a name on it. I blame this article for compelling me to spend the extra money for the name and number. Still, you can’t go wrong with sporting a Captain America shirt.

51. FYI, I just bought a home white Jozy Altidore jersey. Budweiser and soccer.com have a promotion right now where you can get $20 off the jersey! I also managed to snag a free shipping code off retailmenot.com. Text “Jersey” to 23377 and answer the questions they ask you, then they will supply you with a promo code and PIN to use at soccer.com/bud and bingo, you’re set. This is a real thing… you guys know me, I comment here pretty often, and this is a real promotion. I am pretty pumped… it’s impossible to find deals on new national team jerseys. Also, this promo works for any national team… I just strongly urge you to go for a US one if you don’t already have one :)

52. Anyone have a site that’s actually shipping away jerseys? I can’t find any online that have them in stock, it may be a USA t-shirt for me.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/02 at 2:37 PM

Where have you tried?

• Posted by John on 2010/06/02 at 2:40 PM

WorldSoccerShop.com worked for me and I got free shipping by finding a code online.

Went with Dempsey but now the girlie wants one so I am thinking of getting her one prior to the start of the WC.

• worldsoccershop, Nike, and Eurosport all list the away jersey as “pre-order” and not in stock til mid-August.

• Posted by John on 2010/06/02 at 2:48 PM

Kitbag.com You need to switch your currency to Dollars, but I usually have my Liverpool kit sent from there.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/02 at 2:53 PM

Not sure when you would get it by, but try these:
        subside.co.uk
        prodirectsoccer.com

Pity that you’re not in NYC – Niketown has shit loads of US gear…

53. Posted by Ian on 2010/06/03 at 8:18 AM

Here are the finalized numbers.

1 Howard, Tim
    18 Guzan, Brad
    19 Edu, Maurice
    20 Findley, Robbie
    21 Goodson, Clarence
    22 Feilhaber, Benny M
    23 Hahnemann, Marcus

54. Vengeful Pat’s tip did the trick for $20 off. Also snagged a free shipping and 10% off orders of $99 or more codes from retailmenot.com which meant that the US Soccer Polo I got to wear to work everyday for the entire month of June is pretty much a freebie.

• Oh, and they seem to have some away Jersey’s in stock as long as you get one that’s already customized, like Dempsey-Away.

I got a Torres – 16 home jersey because I love that kid, totally think he’s gonna blow up and his man-love for Clint Dempsey can compete with my own…

Demps was the other option but there’s no way to find anyone in the parking lot tailgate if you’re wearing a Dempsey jersey.

• Good point, I also used the retailmenot coupon code for free shipping, but forgot to mention that. I’ve already had 5-6 friends order jerseys of their own… I’m just happy to see so many people supporting the USMNT. Next step, we all pack into Penny Lane Pub here in Richmond, VA for the US/England match. The owner is from Liverpool… he’s going to despise us.

55. Posted by Kevin on 2010/06/03 at 5:48 PM

Does anyone know where I can get a medium sized holden 11 jersey BEFORE the world cup starts? nike is telling me 36-44 days.

56. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/03 at 7:06 PM

The World Cup starts in 8 days time and I cannot believe people haven’t got their tops yet! What’s wrong with you people? That should have been boxed off ages ago!

57. Now that a few years have gone by we should resurrect this post. Especially since I’m debating who’s name should adorn my latest purchase; Bradley, Cherundolo, or other?

I’ve already got the Dempsey, Donovan, McBride, Davies, and Sanneh shirts…