A jam packed weekend as we round into just about a month left until World Cup 2010.
Results & News
• Chelsea scored a touchdown and a two point conversion to take down Wigan, 8-0, and secure the Premiership title. A mesmerizing 103 goals–a new record–for the Blues on the year.
• Wayne Rooney with a tweak of the groin Sunday. A little magic spray likely does the trick.
• Not to be outdone by Chelsea: 24 balls landed between the pipes in MLS this weekend.
• Barcelona fended off a gutsy performance from Sevilla to inch closer to the title in the real La Liga.
USMNT Roster (Candidates, Vets, & 2014 Hopefuls)
• Stu Holden shook off the rust as Bolton beat Birmingham. Golden Holden entered in the 66th for Matthew Taylor on the wing. Holden on his 20-odd minutes.
• Eddie Johnson warmed-up to simmer status with another goal in Aris 4-2 loss. (Check out the 2:45 mark here.)
• TSG Commenter Jennifer on Steve Cherundolo: Playing his, possibly, last game with Hannover after 11 years they win 3-0 to avoid regulation after a very rough season.
• Oguchi Onyewu, after much hoopla, made the 23 for AC Milan, but not the 18 that dressed. Getting closer…
• Carlos Bocanegra was unavailable again for Rennes battling from some sort of abdomen injury.
• Winger Alejandro Bedoya tacked on another 90 minutes in Orebro’s 1-0 victory over Djurgardes.
• DaMarcus Beasley big adieu to his term with the Glaskgow Rangers, telling fans via Twitter that he would not be back at Ibrox. Something “fishy” here as Walter Smith didn’t dress Beasley his apparent final game, a 3-3 tie to Motherwell. Injury or grudge?
• Jonathan Bornstein–known to his Chivas teammates apparently as J. Bizzle–saw his club team yield two, including a much-better-than-Cristiano Ronaldo chip over the goalkeeper (see below), to Houston, but then threw out the first pitch at the Dodgers game.
• Omar Gonzalez had a goal as the Galaxy went on the road to pitch a shutout up in Seattle. The Galaxy hung four on the discombobulated Sounders.
• Landon Donovan with 3 more assists and a goal in that one in the aforementioned Galaxy game.
• Potential June 12th center midfield pairing Ricardo Clark and Michael Bradley each went 90 for their respective Bundesliga squads on Saturday. More on MB90′s performance here.
• Howard and Hahnemann go 90 in wins for Everton and Wolverhampton respectively. A little over an hour for Clint Dempsey as Fulham get thrashed by Arsenal.
Results & News
• Classy move by the Sounder’s organization off the pitch after their lackluster performance at home. A refund–equating to a free ticket to a game next year–for all those ticketed for Saturday.