“The 30″: Confirmed

“The 30″

• Goalie

Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan

Congrats Steve Cherundolo: The only selection to feature for the senior side in the 1990's

• Defense:

Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Spector, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein, Heath Pearce, Chad Marshall,

• Midfield:

Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Stu Holden, Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Alejandro Bedoya, DaMarcus Beasley, Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers, Jose Francisco Torres

• Striker:

Jozy Altidore, Brian Ching, Eddie Johnson, Herculez Gomez, Robbie Findley, Edson Buddle

Official release from USSF

TSG Take:

We’re about a half hour after the announcement and I took the last 30 minutes to inventory all your comments below, to scan Twitter, etc.

• We wrote last week that, in our minds, Charlie Davies’ comeback was already a success. Unfortunately, Davies lost his race to be in the camp form according to the USSF training staff.

This won’t be received as a popular decision, but it is the right one if Davies is not fit.

There is 30 days to build teamwork, and synergy on the field. The USMNT needs to be focused on its goal of advancing in South Africa during this time, not questioning if a player should be there or not.

• In hindsight, it’s clear to see Bradley favors players that know the system and are familiar with it. Robbie Findley–while incomplete in his short audition on the international stage–clearly fit-in and following Bradley’s game plan better than Jeff Cunningham.

• In a pinch, both Robbie Rogers and DaMarcus Beasley can fill in on the outside wingback role. Heath Pearce can play either side. So flexibility at the outside back role for Coach Bradley.

• This is the exact same roster that I had out there this morning with the exception of Conor Casey for Sacha Kljestan. I think you will see the USMNT–as they did for 20 minutes or so in Holland–at least an attempt a 4-2-3-1 here.

• The first question of the new strikers (Gomez & Buddle) is are either international caliber. The second question is how quickly can they learn the system. With seven forwards selected here and the US likely to stick primarily with the 4-4-2, I think you’ll still see four strikers go to South Africa. My money right now would be on Altidore, Buddle, Ching and Gomez. I have thought for a long time that Buddle–if healthy and committed–has the type of body and speed necessary at the next level. Tightest race, right now in my mind, will be Gomez versus EJ and Findley.

1. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 5:56 AM

My 23:

Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

Gooch, Boca, Demerit, Spector, Dolo, Pearce, Bornstein

Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Holden, Edu, Clark, Feilhaber, Bedoya, Rogers

Altidore, Ching, (best 2 of Gomez, Buddle, Davies)

Speaking of which…where is Davies on this list? Any chance J Jones gets an invite to camp?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 5:57 AM

As a fan and as TSG, I want Charlie Davies. My hunch is that Bob Bradley wants to begin preparing the roster for RSA now, meaning if CD9 isn’t absolutely fit (which he is not), then he leaves him out.

Not the fan in me, the analyst in me.

• I think Charlie will be in the 30, even if he doesn’t make the 23. Same as with Onyewu or Barry for England. Keep your options open for now… we’ll know soon enough!

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 6:27 AM

Ive got to believe that he will at least make the 30 to give him an opportunity to make the 23 man cut. Robbie Findley drops out of the 30 in that case.

• Posted by Timmy on 2010/05/11 at 6:57 AM

I’m with you Colin – I would be floored if Davies didn’t make the 30 at the very least. The story is just too good, and he was too big a part of this team for Bradley not to call him in and get a look at his fitness. Unless he has a setback, I’d be surprised if Davies didn’t get 20-30 minutes in one of the two friendlies.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 7:35 AM

Although unusual, under Fifa regulations, Bradley is allowed to bring players into his 23-man squad who were not included in the preliminary 30-man party. On one hand, it makes sense to look at other options, but on the other hand, why can’t Davies do his rehabbing with the squad so Bradley take take a better look? Surely leaving out the 7th choice striker isn’t too much of a risk. One has to think that Davies is out.

The key date is now 1st June, where the final 23 have to be announced (but amendments can be made up to 24-hours prior to the first match for injuries, I believe).

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 7:37 AM

I thought that the above list was the official 30-man squad submitted to FIFA. My apologies.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 7:41 AM

I didnt realize the 23 could include players that werent in the 30 for reasons other than injuries to players on the 30. If that is the case…then yea…I could see Davies being out of the 30, but not out of the 23 yet.

• Posted by Brad on 2010/05/11 at 9:33 AM

It’s not likely for that to happen though unless there’s a series of injuries – being as the guys on this preliminary list will be taken to team camp and it’s not likely we’d see someone called into the 23 when he wasn’t in camp in front of Big Bob. I say Charlie makes the 30 though.

2. Posted by pckilgore on 2010/05/11 at 6:00 AM

Ya’ll really should look into coveritlive.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 6:01 AM

So true…we’ll try to figure that out– last time I looked a month ago it still didn’t work with WordPress…

• Posted by pckilgore on 2010/05/11 at 6:26 AM

Crap, keep forgetting you guys are running on wordpress.com — I’ve been trying to get them to whitelist certain iframes but no dice — one reason I like running my own installations.

You can still run it as a popout — Launch. Not very pretty though. There are also some rss hacks but they still involve page refreshes or ajax,

Keep it in mind if you ever decide to move over to your own hosting I suppose. *shrug.* It’s just a great tool for stuff like this.

3. Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 6:17 AM

EDT…not EST. hahaha

4. Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 6:30 AM

Why Findley over EJ? What has Findley done this season? EJ is tied as top goal scorer in the Greek playoffs, if anything, he deserves it over a guy hardly playing well in MLS at this time.

• Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 6:35 AM

i think i read it wrong. but i feel like findley would be the more likely one to miss the camp, no?

• If it makes you feel better, I don’t think either has a shot at making the 23 so it’s probably just a chance for the younger findley to get some quality camp time with bobbo.

• Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 7:08 AM

well, im just curious to know why the author of this chose findley over EJ as the one would have the better shot of making the 23. bob isn’t even going to call 30 people in, he specifically said this. so, i doubt we’ll see Findley or EJ even in the “30”. Personally, I would like to see EJ get into camp and have Findley and Casey stay behind. Assuming Bob is seriously only taking 26-28 players.

5. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 6:31 AM

If Gomez and Buddle come to camp bc of their current form, then EJ should too just to see.

What no Convey or Adu?

• Hell 2/4 ESPN writers had frankie haircut on their 23, much less 30. I guess anything is possible — but like convey or adu or EJ, just not very probable :)

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 7:02 AM

It is amazing how someone like Convey can go from young, promising WC player to completely off the radar four years later. Oh well such is soccer lol!

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 6:47 AM

How old is Frankie these days? 45 or something? and still amazing.

OK, that may be a bit of an exaggeration.

• I would think Freddy Adu would at least merit consideration. Say what you will about the prodigy on hard times that he is, but Adu has a skill set that most of our midfield players lack.

I was also hoping Brad Davis and Dax McCarty would be considered as well. Davis is an excellent dead-ball striker, and McCarty brings….intangibles.

6. Posted by Ian on 2010/05/11 at 6:33 AM

Robbie Findley? I hope he doesn’t waste his and BB’s time.

Also, Davies will go into camp, probably pushing Casey or Findley out. There is absolutely no need for Casey and Ching to both be there.

7. Posted by Timmy on 2010/05/11 at 6:39 AM

You’ve listed 12 midfielders. I think Robbie is the guy left out.

8. Posted by BklynPete on 2010/05/11 at 6:46 AM

I fear that you might be correct about CD9 being left off the roster and I follow your logic. But, can’t the same be said for Gooch? He has missed exactly the same amount of time as Davies and looks to be at about the same stage of recovery. Granted the initial injuries were significantly different, but does that matter at this point when both are training regularly with their squads. Plus, it’s arguable that CD9 is needed more than Gooch considering we have 2 capable centerbacks in Boca and DeMerit.

Just my 2 cents. Awesome interviews these last two days.

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 7:00 AM

I think CD9 makes the 30 as the PR hit will be too much if BB does not at least give him a chance to show that the other forwards are more in-form at this point. I think it is hard to see BB putting Findley on the 30 over Davies … I just can’t see it unless Davies has really overstated his recovery. My fear all along is that the muscle atrophy that Davies had to experience will be too much to overcome as that can take a year or so to correct.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 7:14 AM

I think so too…I see Davies making the 30, but will have to REALLY prove that he is fit enough to play in order to make the 23. I just feel like he has at least earned the chance to prove himself.

9. Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 7:13 AM

LEAKED: (via espn deportes) Bedoya, Gomez, Buddle, Adu, Hejduk, Ching, DAVIES, Casey and Marshall all made the preliminary roster. #usmnt

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Posted by Timmy on 2010/05/11 at 7:15 AM

Hejduk?!? I just threw up a little bit. I hope that part of that leak is wrong.

• Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 7:19 AM

so, as of now, confirmed (in a way):

Defenders (2) – Hejduk, Marshall
      Midfielders (2) – Bedoya, Adu
      Forwards (5) – Gomez, Buddle, Ching, Davies, Casey

so, we can assume Jozy will be the 6th striker. which means Bob chose Casey over EJ for CAMP. there is no justification for that when we have Jozy and Ching that can EASILY both be counted as your target guy. All I can say is, Casey better not be in the 23.

• Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 7:38 AM

“And, according to duNord via the Washington Post, EJ, Pearce, and Marshall”

Defenders (3) – Hejduk, Marshall, Pearce
        Midfielders (2) – Bedoya, Adu
        Forwards (6) – Gomez, Buddle, Ching, Davies, Casey, EJ

I guess Bob (assuming this stuff is actually true, which is absolutely may not be) is going with 7 strikers for camp.

10. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 7:16 AM

who would leak it? Bob? doubtful.

• Posted by Timmy on 2010/05/11 at 7:18 AM

Could be a compilation of player/agent comments. I’m sure the players have already been notified.

• Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 7:21 AM

well, considering Houston PR already leaked Ching got the call. Considering Omar Gonzalez leaked Buddle getting the call. I’m thinking someone with some kind of knowledge told ESPN (for their show this afternoon at 2pm) and some guy decided he was going to leak it. is it really that hard to believe? this is the day they announce this stuff, it’s bound to happen.

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 7:33 AM

And, according to duNord via the Washington Post, EJ, Pearce, and Marshall will all be called up but will report to camp late. Don’t know where the Post got that info but they are reliable I suppose.

11. I agree with those thinking Chuck D makes the 30 just to be evaluated more. At this point there’s no frame of reference for him other than what we know he’s done previously, he comes in to give Bob a good look at him and maybe a 20-30 minute runout in one of the tuneup matches to see what he does. I think he’s valuable enough and brings a quality that no one else does that makes a more thorough evaluation of him necessary.

My 23 (assuming a reasonably fit Davies):

G-Howard
    G-Guzan
    G-Hahnemann

All no brainers here.

D-Onyewu
    D-Demerit
    D-Bocanegra
    D-Spector
    D-Cherundolo
    D-Bornstein
    D-Goodson
    D-Pearce

I’m still not sold on Pearce but I think we take him as we need another outside back. We know that Boca can play on the left as needed so I think that gives us enough coverage.

M-Edu
    M-Bradley
    M-Dempsey
    M-Donovan
    M-Clark
    M-Feilhaber
    M-Holden
    M-Bedoya

Bedoya’s recent play gets him the last spot. I wanted to take Torres but he just doesn’t fill a need that we have right now, I almost see him sneaking in on Benny’s lack of form but I don’t think he will. Rogers just isn’t ready, too inconsistent at this point.

ST-Altidore
    ST-Davies
    ST-Ching
    ST-Buddle

If Davies is 80-85% I bring him, if nothing else he’s a late game impact sub with enough adrenaline and emotion to make up for that last 15%. I lean towards playing Dempsey up top with Jozy with Holden on the wing (assuming CD isn’t ready to start).

• Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 7:35 AM

Personally, I would drop Ching, move Dempsey up top, and bring Torres as well. But Bob won’t drop Ching unless he just really stinks it up (no offense, i hope he is terrible in camp). For me, we have to play Dempsey as a striker paired with Jozy (assuming Davies cannot start).

The truth is, we cannot have 2 out of 4 of our strikers hardly back from injury (Davies and Ching). One has to be dropped for the 23 unless they both show they are 100% back. So, without Ching or Davies, I would have Dempsey and Jozy and then either Buddle, Gomez or EJ (pick 2).

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 7:39 AM

Ching didn’t play Saturday so who knows how much he is recovered. Of course, DMB, Feilhaber, and Boca did not play either and we know they are all coming to camp (well maybe not DMB).

• Posted by bryan on 2010/05/11 at 7:47 AM

Feilhaber has played every week for the past month. Boca, yeah, he has been out for 2 weeks. But Ching has been out a lot longer. And Boca is the captain and plays in France, he’ll get the call no matter. Beasley, I’d be surprised if he makes the 23.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 7:39 AM

I think we’re on almost the same page. I couldnt decide whether to put in 8def/8mid or 7def/9mid and make a pick between Goodson/Rogers. I went with Rogers cuz I like the Crew and he scored a goal this weekend haha.

Other than that, our 23 is identical (I didnt go out on a limb and pick Buddle and Davies tho…i left Gomez a chance…even tho I am leaning towards Buddle and an 85% Davies)

• Yeah, I like Rogers but I just don’t think he’s there yet, too inconsistent for my tastes. I really want to see him step it up and be a key part of the squad for 2014. Imagine him and Stu in the peak of their careers on either wing, there’d be some wicked balls coming across the middle.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 7:52 AM

with Davies and Altidore in the middle to put them away.

• 2014 will have some hard questions for BB. Good midfield pool. Holden, Rogers, Bedoya, Torres. 2 of them can play centrally but all of them are primarily wingers for the US. Then you add Edu Bradley (neither are old) and you have a core center. Outragous midfield. JZA with CD9 uptop. It’s too early to predict but 2014 seems like our best year (if we don’t all die first)

• Kevin, I’ve been saying for a while now that I’m really excited about the group for 2014. We’ll still have some of the veterans as well as the guys mentioned and some younger up and comers (McInerney, Hamid, etc.) and a few who may finally come around (Adu?). Could be a great squad for the US.

12. Posted by Waterlewd on 2010/05/11 at 7:33 AM

The 30-man provisional roster will include four goalkeepers in case of injury. I doubt the fourth GK will attend the camp though, as he’ll be busy playing at Rio Tinto.

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 8:04 AM

I thought Hamid plays for D.C. United.;)

• No, there’s on point in that. As George says above, injured players can be replaced up until the day before the first match with players who are not on the 30-man roster. It will be 3 goalkeepers.

13. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 7:42 AM

BB likes Goodson a lot so he goes over Rogers, imo. Goodson has played well this season, from what I’ve read, being named MOTM several times.

14. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 7:43 AM

you guys suck…I am supposed to be working right now, not talking about this stuff on the internet. Youre all going to get me in trouble.

15. Posted by s44 on 2010/05/11 at 8:33 AM

Is “Hector Gomez” Herculez’s more skilled brother?

16. Posted by KMac on 2010/05/11 at 8:45 AM

Ok Gang,
    Here is the KMac 2 cents:

Coach Bradley has said he will call 26 to 28 in his 90 min interview. I personally believe Holden, Onyewu, and Davies (2/3) made the variance in that number. That is my starting assumption. I have to believe that as methodical as he is, he will stay true to his program and trusted players, guys who have been shown minutes in his system. Injuries are the wildcard here, obviously, impacting the midfield /striker “30” and ultimate 23 more than anything else. I believe some players while talented, will not edge out others who fit Coach Bradley’s system and vision.

I believe there is no harm in inviting the walking wounded to the 26-28 for three reasons.
    1. Let them mend and train for the approximately additional 4 weeks before the 23 are due on June 1 (Midnight CET). This will allow for evaluation of who is best for the team
    2. Coach Bradley also said “the team picks itself” in that interview. Morale and team chemistry is essential to the World Cup – Capello also has this view. It is essential for those who are on the bubble or close, like Charlie to know for themselves where the stand at this moment in time. The rest of the team will also see first hand who is on their game and playing in the system well. This is critical so when the hard decisions are made after the friendlies, the team already knows who is there and not.
    3. If for some reason, say CD9 makes the team (as I BELIEVE he will), but misfortune strikes in the form of injury, one can replace up to 24 hrs before match time:
    The final list is limited to players on the release list provided on 11 May.

“- However, seriously injured players may be replaced up to 24 hours before the team’s first match, as mentioned in the 2010 FIFA World Cup Regulations.

– Replacement players for injured players are not limited to the release list provided on 11 May.”

Let’s start where there is no controversy. 3 Goal keepers – I need not name them.

Defenders:
    I pick 8 –

Bocanegra
    Bornstein
    Cherundolo
    DeMerit
    Goodson
    Onyewu
    Pearce
    Spector

Midfield:

Injuries, if for some reason a forward on my list is hurt or not in camp, that opens things for Kljestan, as Dempsey get the “forward” roster spot.

Bedoya
    Bradley
    Clark
    Dempsey
    Donovan
    Edu
    Feilhaber
    Holden

Beasley
    Torres

Forwards:
    I am going to be positive here and pick 6 forwards, featuring CD9. I appreciate Matthews analytical side, but I am going with my gut, heart, and vibe to pick Charlie.

Altidore
    Casey
    Ching
    Davies
    Findley
    Johnson

So – that’s 27, who is 28 of Coach B goes that high?
    First, no offense to all of these good players – they probably won’t make the 26-28.
    I love Frankie Haircut, and even bought him a beer in K-town in 2006 (solid dude and an all time fave for me as an old guy). BB may choose him for his leadership, psyche and experience, despite perhaps not being in top form.
    Marshall – I don’t believe will make it on unless there is an injury in the middle during the run up. Castillo has never been in the running based on minutes. I doubt Conrad will get the call up – with others like Wynne way moot points for this cycle.

Adu…wow, here is a lighting rod for fiery debate. On one hand he has shown some interesting play in Greece. On the other he doesn’t always dress there and I doubt his fit in Bob’s system. He and Torres almost seem in the same plight. Skilled, certainly. USMNT game changers, or defensively strong enough – my jury is out on that one.

Findly and Cunningham were gone in March –

We will all see in a couple of hours.

PS – not believing the “leaks” 100% yet.

• “I think that 7 of my 8 are not controversial, until you get to Mr. Bedoya. I see him as a lock due to form and performance. This is where it gets hairy. I believe you bring Beasely and Torres to camp to slug it out and try some combos vs Turkey and Czech.”

I’d agree with that. I really like JFT and want to see him there, I just don’t quite know where he fits in to the current system. He’s playing very well for his club though (as opposed to Beasley who’s all over the place in minutes but has played well when he’s on the pitch). I think Bedoya is in the perfect spot heading into the tournament: off a good showing v Holland and getting lots of minutes and playing well for his club, and I see him making the final cut.

• Posted by KMac on 2010/05/11 at 10:06 AM

I did not proof my forwards list – sorry for the gaff! No Casey and No Findley for me at all. This is my correct list – sorry the day job made me hit post too soon. Sorry again for the temporary insanity.

Altidore
      Buddle
      Ching
      Davies
      Gomez
      Johnson

17. Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 8:56 AM

please for the love of football gods everywhere, leave Conor Casey off of ANY list involving the USMNT

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 9:01 AM

Shane:

I’ll challenge you on that one today.

I watched Casey against Colorado and I saw a forward who knows how to play the game. I don’t disagree that his birth-given talents are not up there with say Robinho, but I really don’t believe he deserves the sentiment he typically receives.

Unfotunately his skillset is just rather odd. He’s great at fighting for the ball, but not going up and getting it. He sometimes has deft passing, but his first touch and scoring touch often fail him.

He’s really an enigma. He should, in my opinion, be in the 30. After that, we’ll see.

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 9:10 AM

Im not questioning his knowledge or skill.. im questioning his work rate.. he is a sloth on the pitch…

• He has been recently for the Nats at least. I think his lack of recent workrate, combined with Ching’s stellar performance v El Salvador, means Ching goes if healthy.

• You watched Casey against Colorado? How does that happen?

18. Posted by phlub on 2010/05/11 at 9:18 AM

Outliers I could see making 30 but not the final 23: Adu, H. Gomez, O. Gonzalez, R. Rogers

I think EJ and Buddle are locks for the 30 ahead of Findley, and Cunningham, possibly Casey.

Beasley is too big of a risk, not just with play, but has been MIA with the last Rangers games, so fitness is a risk as well. Torres should be a lock. He is fit, plain and simple.

Davies, Holden, Onyewu are all in.

19. i cant imagine BB not including CD9 on the 30 man roster, even if he has no intention of bringing CD to the WC. you have reward CD for at least all the hard work he has put in to get even as far as he has. give the guy a fare shake, and i believe BB will do that.

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 9:32 AM

Agreed.. If he thinks the U.S. fans are hard on him already, just imagine if he leaves CD9 off the 30..

If BB feels CD9 is not fit for the 23, than so be it..

Ching Over Casey !!!

Remember guys, Deuce will be playing up top im sure with Altidore.. Holden on the right..

We have enough creative midfielders to slim the forward position down… Casey is a waste of a spot..

Altidore, Buddle, (Ching, Davies) Wild card-> Gomez

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 10:22 AM

If Davies has *no* chance in making the 23, then don’t include him in the 30. Why would you waste a spot to look at an alternative? It’s unfortunate but business is business – Bradley had to do what is right for the USA, not get involved in sentimental clap-trap. If Davies is included, then there has to be *some* chance of him making it.

20. Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 9:29 AM

Wow. What a day. I can’t wait this next hour and a half. Then we have the pleasure of breaking down to the 23. I guess this means that this summer really is coming. I can’t wait for that either. I don’t really have any commentary to add, as this comments section has already exploded. Just that I think that Bedoya should go…EJ maybe…and the wildcard of some young player, like Gonzalez, Just to see what is out there.

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 9:35 AM

Im excited as well.. I hope BB sags his sweatpants a bit, and avoids makeing extremley conservative choices throughout.. I want to see something that opens my eyes “for the better”

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 9:39 AM

The best times are when the conservative coaches pull one out of their sleeves and does something crazy. Trust me, I’m an Ohio State Football Fan…

21. Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 9:39 AM

Jack McInerney, young forward plays for union… I think this kid will be something special, and the quiker he gets into big games the better… Perfect canidate for a wildcard striker imho.

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 9:42 AM

Sadly, I think that this cycle came about a year too early for him. I think that we might see him at next years Gold Cup though.

22. I really think Adu gets the call, especially over a struggling Robbie Rogers. Casey and Ching will be interesting, considering that one hasnt played in a few weeks and the other has only scored from the PK spot, it may just be possible that Gomez and Buddle both make the 23…Buddle is 6-1 and can handle the hold up balls well enough and distribute accordingly, something that Ching and Casey have struggled to do at times.

Here is my 30:

GK: Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

DF: Spector, Cherundolo, Onyewu, DeMerit, Bocanegra, Goodson, Bornstein, Pearce, Castillo OR Simek

MD: Beasley, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Clark, Feilhaber, Torres, Dempsey, Holden, Bedoya, Adu

FW: Altidore, Davies, Ching, Casey, Buddle, Gomez, Johnson

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 9:44 AM

I would take Brad Davis over Beasley… Davis is a beast on the left, very underrated

• Agreed on Davis, he’s got a wicked left foot, especially on the dead ball, but Beasley has something that Davis doesnt, and thats 90 caps…nothing trumps experience in the WC, except maybe Lionel Messi and Chuck Norris

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 9:55 AM

I’m a Brad Davis fan as well…I would say I would be shocked by his inclusion, but would still find merit in it for sure.

• I’d love to see Davis but he seems to have been lost in the USMNT shuffle after playing with the U-20s and is now entering into the later stages of his career. It would be nice to see a true left footer in there however.

23. Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 9:52 AM

My 30..

GK: Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

DF: Spector, Dolo, Onyewu, Gonzo, Boca, DeMerit, Goodson, Johny B, Castillo, (Franklin)

MF: Brad Davis, Donovan, Bradley, Edu, Clark, Feilhaber, Torres, Duece, Holden, Bedoya, (Adu)

FW: JZA, Davies, Buddle, Gomez, EJ, Ching

• You must either hate or love the galaxy brother…haha

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 10:19 AM

Actually its neither.. I’m perfectly in the middle with the Galaxy..lol Crew fan here :)

Gonzo ( towering young CB, good in the air on set pieces)

Franklin ( Fast, Defensive minded sub that could play on the right providing cover while still haveing enough pace and skill to counter)

Donovan (Enough said)

Buddle ( Still not sold on him, but if were looking for a strong forward in good form, he takes it for me)

24. so word on the street is that this is gonna be on espnews can anyone verify? also, say i wanted to watch said event, can anyone direct me to somewhere that would allow me to see it? my normal spots don’t seem to be working for it

25. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/11 at 10:40 AM

In order for our CAMs and CFs (like Benny, JFT, Adu) Bob will have to switch to a diamond midfield. Put them in or near the hole and let them do what they do best. Or switch to a 4-2-3-1. Unfortunately he has a preference for box-to-box, ball winning, or defensive mids

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/11 at 10:43 AM

….which is why they rarely start. And when they do(I.e. Gringo in the Holland friendly) they don’t perform their best

26. Posted by Andy on 2010/05/11 at 10:47 AM

Is it 2pm yet? This waiting is intolerable!

27. Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 11:01 AM

The wait is over….

28. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 11:05 AM

No Davies!! Sad for sure.

29. Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 11:05 AM

unbelievable!! Not to happy with these players.. Davies left out as well

30. Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 11:08 AM

I guess the question now is which ones on the roster are going to the camp. And which ones are not.

31. Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 11:08 AM

BB says Davies club did not release him for camp and was a HUGE reason why Davies was not selected.

• Posted by Marv on 2010/05/11 at 11:15 AM

Nonesense! By FIFA, all clubs are required to release players on the 30 list by May 17th.

I am at work, can you provide the complete list? Thank you,

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 11:28 AM

You’re right, all clubs have to release all players to their national team if called. But if the USSF are happy with Sochaux’s medical report, then why drag him away from rehab if he has no chance of making the 23, just for the USSF doctors to come to the same conclusion?

32. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 11:12 AM

What a disappointment for Davies. Either way, hes going to South Africa on the back of my jersey

33. Posted by pckilgore on 2010/05/11 at 11:13 AM

Poopie… sounds to me like Sochoux’s medical decision had a lot to do with it.

• Posted by itally on 2010/05/11 at 11:19 AM

I think the “Sochoux decision” is a cop-out…a way for the USMNT to deflect this decision off of themselves.

• Posted by pckilgore on 2010/05/11 at 11:26 AM

When you start looking at the downside and the upside for including Charlie in the 30 (not the 23 mind you) — you realize Bradley either has 1) a really good reason for not doing so (avoid seriously pissing off a club) or 2) is just plain stupid. Bob’s got a lot of failings but he isn’t an idiot.

34. Ok, I think this is correct, from a poster on ESPN since they haven’t posted the actual list:

Goalkeepers:

Conor Casey
    Brian Ching
    Edson Buddle
    Eddie Johnson
    Herculez Gomez

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 11:16 AM

On TV, they had Findley instead of Conor Casey. But SBI has Casey as well. I guess that slot is up for grabs.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 11:19 AM

No Casey.

• Interesting. Can’t say I see either of them making it, but I’d think you bring Casey as a backup target man while gauging Ching’s fitness level. Findley has looked a bit lost with the Nats and has been playing somewhat inconsistently (as in minutes, not quality) for RSL last I checked.

35. Findley, Kljestan, Rogers, and Marshall CANT be on the 23…

36. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/11 at 11:16 AM

Seriously? Klej$&@”?!’!!! No reason at all to bring him!

• Posted by Brad on 2010/05/11 at 11:20 AM

Why get in a huff over the 30th guy on the 30 man roster? We have the guys we need for our 23 on this list.

• It’s more like the continued possibility that Klejstan will be in the 23 because of all the things that Bob Bradley sees from him in training that never ever translate into matches but possibly could some day under perfect atmospheric conditions.

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 11:28 AM

Ok…you don’t like the addition of Klejstan. However, the list that everyone was working on was the assumption of 28 or so being called into camp, we don’t know if that is still the situation or not. If I remember correctly, the prediction list here had 28? Add to that Klejstan, Rogers, and Findley, removing Davies, and you have the 30 that was just officially released. No one lost their spot because of the addition of Klejstan/Rogers/Findley if Davies was not medically cleared. So, why the outrage? We don’t even know who from the roster is going to be in camp yet.

37. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 11:20 AM

- Sochaux did not give Davies full medical clearance, therefore not given full release to join the camp. Just like I said on 4th May’s “Davies Fitness Claims Denied” piece.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 11:25 AM

so how does it work if players come back from injury between now and June 1? I still want to hold out a slim hope, but at this point, even if he gets fit by then…missing friendlies, camp, etc with the national team would almost surely prevent him from being included in the 23…regardless of his fitness level.

• Posted by pckilgore on 2010/05/11 at 11:28 AM

Sochaux does not want their investment in Charlie to get hurt by a potential injury in camp or whatnot. Remember, they stand to gain quite a bit if he plays in the world cup — that kind of exposure can drive up transfer prices.

They have to have a pretty good reason to say no, which probably means they know he isn’t good enough or they think he will hurt himself trying.

• Posted by Smitty on 2010/05/11 at 11:29 AM

Colin, It’s not going to happen.

38. Posted by itally on 2010/05/11 at 11:22 AM

I’m imagining Bob Bradley with a bunch of pictures on the wall and darts…

39. Posted by Jeff on 2010/05/11 at 11:26 AM

One thing to note: Cesc Fabregas and Gareth Barry have obviously not been “cleared” as being fully fit to train yet, either, but Del Bosque and Capello have determined that those two players are key enough to their teams’ chances as to include them on the hope/likelihood that they will be ready to go a month from today when the World Cup starts. So either Bob knows something we don’t (that Charlie isn’t even close to being fit) or he doesn’t feel that Charlie is worth holding a spot from Robbie Rogers on the extremely low likelihood that Rogers makes the team. I suppose we’ll see. Extremely bad news for US fans either way, our offense is much less potent w/o Charlie.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 11:35 AM

“our offense is much less potent w/o Charlie.”

true, but since Charlie went down, Holden has emerged as a viable option on the right which frees up Dempsey to move up front with Altidore.

Speaking of which…my 11 for June 12

Howard
      Dolo
      Gooch
      Demerit
      Boca
      Holden
      Bradley
      Edu
      Donovan
      Dempsey
      Altidore

How important will it turn out to be that 4 of the 6 midfielders/forwards got experience in the premier league this season against the players that they will be matched up against in England’s midfield and back line?

• Posted by pckilgore on 2010/05/11 at 11:38 AM

Yes, however both of them have played most of the year, and thus as soon as they are healthy will be able to jump right in.

Charlie hasn’t played a game in 9 months.

• Onyewu has been out about 60 minutes less than Charlie.

• Posted by Bob on 2010/05/11 at 1:09 PM

BB also said on ESPN that AC Milan had cleared Gooch and that Gooch was in the 23 for last weekend’s game. Thus, Gooch makes the 30 while Davies doesn’t.

It seems to me that clubs have most of the power here. If I remember right, Liverpool has released Torres to Spain with the condition that he does not dress for the first game against Switzerland. That’s power!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 2:13 PM

Like somebody else mentioned, the clubs want to look after their assets. And the doctors have a duty of care to give an accurate medical prognosis – after all, they are still doctors.

Even with Barry, they will have a medical update on the 24th May with the doctors regarding his progress and projected timeline for full recovery. Capello will have a date in his head and if Barry falls short then he’s not on the plane to RSA. Remember, this is Barry we’re talking about, not Rooney, Lampard or A. Cole…

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 11:47 AM

yea, thats what I am saying…that statement was true 9 months ago, but not as true today…mostly because nobody really knows how good charlie will be when he gets back….and other options have arose that havent been tried out in the past. (holden on the right, dempsey up front…dempsey on the right, buddle/gomez up front)

Its too bad, but he was always in a tough race against time…looks like he barely missed out

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 11:48 AM

In principle, I agree with you Jeff as you make a good point. But, you also have to compare the severity of the injuries. But if they’re not 100%, Arsenal and City will have something to say.

40. Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 11:32 AM

SA-Bound

Howard, Hanhmann, Guzan

Spector, Dolo, Gooch, DeMerit, Boca, Goodson, Bornstein, Pearce

Duece, Holden, Bedoya, Bradley, Edu, Clark, Benny, JFT, Donovan

JZA, Buddle, (Gomez, Ching or EJ) <– I have no idea here "Ching probley"

41. Posted by Smitty on 2010/05/11 at 11:34 AM

By my count, that is 30 players. Not the 26-28 previously talked about. Interesting. And no Charlie here means no Charlie on June 12.

Conspiracy Theory: BB did not want to make this tough decision, so talks with Sochaux led to an agreement by which medical clearance was not granted, in effect protecting Sochaux’s asset and also taking BB off the hook.

42. Posted by maxq on 2010/05/11 at 11:34 AM

In Bob we trust.

43. Posted by pckilgore on 2010/05/11 at 11:35 AM

Benzema doesn’t make Les Blues? Ouch. I guess that’s the price of being an galacticos

44. You really want to believe that Bob knows stuff that we don’t know, but then he goes and makes a player selection that shows we know stuff that he doesn’t know.

Sacha Klejstan? For the love of god. He’ll be in the 23 as well, no doubt. South Africa, RIP.

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 11:46 AM

Like this!

• Posted by uncledude on 2010/05/11 at 11:56 AM

“He’ll be in the 23 as well, no doubt.”

Nope…not happening.

BTW who should have taken his spot in the 30?

• You would think that but we are dealing with Bob Bradley, whose inexplicable man-crushes know no bounds. There’s no rule you have to name 30. I would just like Klejsterfeck eliminated from contention for being selected for the World Cup, thanks. If it’s announced that he’s not one of the players invited to camp I would be happier.

That said, at least Bob thanks Conor Casey for the night in Honduras that he’ll never forget and dropped him.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 12:16 PM

I’m uncertain as to where Kljestan plays. He’s not a CDM and certainly not a winger. I have to discount his game against El Sal in February because that team just wasn’t trying.

Do we expect BB to take an extra interior guy beyond the assumed four (Rico, Edu, MB, Benny) if he’s got the option of moving Clint Dempsey in the middle.

If he does, then that battle is between JFT and Kljestan and you can bet it hinges first on defense.

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 12:19 PM

I think that probably before BB takes Kljestan for a 5th interior midfielder, Holden would move inside, and Bedoya would take Holden’s place on the wing (that is if Dempsey is moved up top).

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, I don’t get it, Sacha has to be down the list for our center mids. My thoughts are that as you pointed out, Bob likes people who know the system and if one of our guys goes down at least Sacha can step in and know his role even if he’s not most talented guy on the field.

The 23 I take from this group:

G: All of them

Def: Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Spector, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein

Note: I am at a toss up between Bornstein and Pearce, Personally I say you have them both run a 70 yard dash and whoever wins goes.

Mid: Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Stu Holden, Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Alejandro Bedoya, DaMarcus Beasley, Jose Francisco Torres

Str: Jozy Altidore, Eddie Johnson, Edson Buddle

• If I calm down and act rational for a moment, I think that Bob must see Klejstan as insurance on the Feilhaber/Torres axis. Torres’ involvment in camp could be complicated by his club team. So Bob takes Klejstan as a more “creative” central midfield presence. Don’t think Kljestan is a bad player, he’s just a good MLS player.

Matt – agree: JFT v Kljestan

Hercules – agree: Holden coming inside makes more sense.

Still think that FIFA 10 cover has subliminally affect Bob Bradley. Kljestan gave Bob a copy where he had special, suggestive “Cheshire Cat” eyes. “You will select me for World Cup.” Etc.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 1:05 PM

its worth noting that there was only 1 nation that brought less than 3 forwards to the 2006 world cup…10 nations brought 4 forwards, 13 brought 5, and 8 brought 6 forwards…

To me…Altidore, Johnson, Buddle wont be enough

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 1:08 PM

I think that if only 3 forwards impress during camp/friendlies…ie Alitdore, Johnson, Buddle… that Dempsey will be listed as a forward, even if he is playing in the midfield.

• You got to hand it to Bob, he’s a cubborn stunt.

45. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/11 at 11:49 AM

No Nasri for France either? What the hell is wrong with Domenech?

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 11:50 AM

Nasri is a stud.. cant find the logic behind this decision

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 12:58 PM

Don’t feel too bad – they have Ribery and Malouda, who are in sparking form for their club sides, and will be full of confidence after a succussful season.

46. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/11 at 11:54 AM

I have to say Group A is arguably the weakest. With Mexico drawing to Iceland and Ecuador and narrowly edging by Senegal 1-0 ….France being subject to horrible managing…South Africa being, well,South Africa. I won’t be surprised if Uruguay wins the group

47. sad about no CD9, i hope he stays positive and continues to grow as a player. he is young enough that 4 years from now he will tear up the WC (i hope) reading through the name doesn’t give me a feeling of we can beat anyone. but when seeing someone above post the following list:

Howard
    Dolo
    Gooch
    Demerit
    Boca
    Holden
    Bradley
    Edu
    Donovan
    Dempsey
    Altidore

I don’t feel that bad about the team, mainly now i just want those 11 to get through these friendlies without a holden type injury.

also i havn’t bought my USMNT jersey yet, was going to purchase a CD9 one, now I think i’m gonna go home white, with Dempsey (already have a white previous version Altidore, or that would be my purchase)

48. Posted by cmac on 2010/05/11 at 12:37 PM

Somehow a Charlie Davies away jersey seems more appropriate than ever…

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 12:54 PM

You know, it’s not as if this is it for Charlie’s US service. You can still rock a Davies jersey and feel pretty good about him probably being involved in the next gold cup and the subsequent Qualifiers for the next cycle. So the Davies jersey is still very relevant.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/05/11 at 12:59 PM

yea…I will be wearing mine proudly in South Africa

49. Posted by kaya on 2010/05/11 at 1:04 PM

Matthew, did you get any feeling that Charlie knew he wasn’t going to make it when you talked with him? I can’t imagine this has come as a surprise to him. My feeling is that it must’ve been very clear he wasn’t going to be ready if he’s far enough from fit to not give him a chance over Ching, Johnson and Buddle.
    Apologies in advance to the MLS fans here… I’ve never been a Ching fan, I think Buddle is a decent scorer, but only for the MLS.
    Finally, if EJ makes it and not Davies, that just tells me this is something everyone “in the know” knew wasn’t going to happen.

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 1:18 PM

I agree, I have to think Bradley had some communication with him and let him know it was a possibility that he would not be coming, seems to harsh of a thing to find out the day of.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 1:35 PM

Kaya.

I would say that I asked the question of Charlie if he “expected” to make the 30-man roster.
      He was very clear to me in choosing his words, “I hope to.”

My sense in hearing his answers is that Charlie was going to believe he had a chance until that roster announcement was made. Perhaps–and I believe this the case–he used it to push himself.

If you step and remove the fan lens, the question you’re posing is, “Should a player–can a player–that has not seen a dime of official pitch time in 2010 and has not been cleared yet to play stand up to the hardest soccer competition in the world.”

The ultimate fairytale for US Soccer would be winning a World Cup with Charlie Davies in 2010. The next best? Making it as far as possible on the best selection of talent.

That is why I did not include Davies in my “who Bob picks” this morning.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/05/11 at 1:52 PM

The logical side of my brain has always said it’s not reasonable for him to make the cut even if he were 99% fit due to the lack of competition. But my gut instinct tells me he’s a guy to take that risk on if his fitness is up to snuff.
        He has a “soccer mind” the others, save Jozy, don’t have imo. EJ in particular I feel could be coached how to react in a particular situation, and given a perfect opportunity to replay it would make the wrong choice. How can we afford *that* in the WC?
        Is sweatpants super risk adverse or were rosier pictures of Charlie’s fitness painted than reality warranted. That’s the question to me.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 1:55 PM

I think accurate pictures–at least as of our interview–were portrayed.

Charlie is expecting to be passed fit for May 15th — that means that right now, he’s not ready.

All of the other players called in at least were ready to play this past this weekend. Gooch apparently was ready, just not called in.

50. Sweatpants rained on my parade.

51. For my first ever comment on The Shin Guardian, I would like to ask:

Eddie Johnson???

52. Posted by John on 2010/05/11 at 1:40 PM

I really hope Onyewu can hold up then!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 1:42 PM

Excellent rebuttal John and I should have added “versus their current fitness.”

Great comment!

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 1:51 PM

Well actually Onyewu had been cleared to play, and was in consideration for last weeks game versus Genoa. It has been puclic for a while that many people who work with Charlie every day have seen that he just not going to be ready in time. This is not a terrible ending to his story it is only a different ending than the public wanted.

• Posted by John on 2010/05/11 at 2:11 PM

I agree that Onyewu realistically is “back” whereas Charlie is not. The problem I have with this approach by Bradley is that he refuses to even glimpse the possibility of Davies in the lineup at all. Now maybe this is an indictment on Davies fitness, which obviously Bradley knows better than I.

However, Del Bosque took two players that are not released for training or playing on his roster. Torres and Fabregas. He took both of these in the hope that they could help play at a later time, looking for the future.

Granted Torres and Fabregas are some of the top players in the world but their impact on the team and their potential has them being selected even while recovering from surgery/injury

Isn’t a possible that Bradley could have taken Davies in the 30 (ignoring the 23) at the expense of someone who just isn’t going to make it, and see how he looks playing against the team.

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 2:37 PM

He absolutely “could have” taken Davies but he didn’t. He could have taken Chad Ocho Cinco, but he didn’t. At the end of the day it is the coaching staffs decision and just because it is not the one you preferred does not make it the wrong one. You want Charlie to make it back and that’s great but he couldn’t make it. None of us have seen Charlie run, shoot, or even get out of bed in the morning, we don’t know what he struggles with and what he doesn’t, he has been closely monitored and that powers that be simply did not think he was ready.

Torres and Fabregas are a completely different situation. They have injuries with projected timelines and a history of rehab and recovery plans and results. Last October people wondered if Charlie would EVER play again. No one is asked those questions of the two players you mentioned. Also Spain has the luxury of having an extremely talented pool of players. We do not have the wiggle room of being able to count on the backups of our best players if they are not ready to go. We have to take every roster spot seriously. I think that it shows that our staff is looking to the future and ensuring that we look at people who have a shot to help us, and obvioulsy Charlie did not, because if he did he would have gotten the call.

Charlie will be in camp next January, god willing.

• Posted by John on 2010/05/11 at 2:48 PM

My point (in a nutshell) is that 75% of Charlie Davies is better than 100% of Robbie Findley, and Robbie Rogers.

Given that both of those made the 30 man and given that Robbie Rogers has scored 1 goal in MLS this season (1 last year and 2 in the champions league) and Robbie Findley has scored 0 goals in MLS, I think it entirely warranted to look even at an injured player.

Now all that said, I am interested to see Gomez get a run out. (and hopefully) Davies will recover and get back on the field.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 3:02 PM

John, what is your point of reference or evidence? Have you seen Davies play at “75%”? I don’t think that Bradley can take a chance at this level, and it’s a moot point anyway as his club haven’t given clearance.

• Posted by John on 2010/05/11 at 3:20 PM

George, as you said… it is a moot point anyway.

And there ISNT any hard evidence to back it up.

Realistically everyone has their own opinions and much like the southbound end of a northbound dog they all stink.

Having watched all three, this season and the last (for davies) I would rather have him for 15 minutes that the other two. As many people have said or ( I am very sure) have thought, “you aren’t the coach, and your opinion doesn’t matter”

So be it then, but when Robbie Rogers, or Robbie Findley score in Mexico City against Mexico, then I will reverse my statement.

53. Posted by Anonymous on 2010/05/11 at 1:43 PM

Bradley with a terrible decision snubbing Davies. Shocking. Oh wait, no it’s not.

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 1:48 PM

It was the correct decision. The wrong decision was the blinders that many US fans put on and convinced themselves that Davies was a lock for South Africa.

• Posted by uncledude on 2010/05/11 at 2:20 PM

“It was the correct decision. ” Amen. If he was ready to go he would be in the squad. Nobody wants him on the squad more than Bob as he gives us the best chance to win. HE”S NOT READY. Gift him a roster spot because it would be a great story and he’s worked hard? Put down the juice boxes and orange slices. It would have been a great story but this is the World Cup. As for equating Gooch to Davies? C’mon guys…we all love Chuck D but that’s apples and oranges.

Being cleared to play by your club after a major knee injury suffered on the pitch during a National team game gets you the benefit of the doubt with the coaching staff…NOT being cleared by your club after suffering life threatening injuries in a fatal car crash AFTER sneaking out after a curfew mandated by the coaching staff selecting this team means you do NOT get the benefit of the doubt even if you maintain you are at %80 fitness.

Harsh words I know…but it’s the truth. I think people have forgotten HOW this happened. This wasn’t a Nigel de Jong tackle.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 2:25 PM

This one of the best comments I’ve read today.

As always I need to work on the comment hall of fame.

• so dude makes a bad decision as a young man and you punish him for that? you don’t think he has had to pay enough with dealing with another person’s death on his conscience? Davies was having success at his club, Onyewu wasn’t. Davies was very in form, onyewu was not. everyone makes mistakes. we aren’t talking a 23 man roster spot. we are talking a 30 man spot. you can afford to gamble on your 30 with 2-3 guys that if they don’t ball out hard you don’t take them. who would argue with davies being there instead of pearce? instead of rogers? instead of klejstan?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 2:41 PM

I don’t think “benefit of the doubt” comes into it. I believe it has to do with davies not being 100% fit.

Quick question for people: how on earth would you measure 80% or 85% or 90% fit? Remember, he’s not fully recovered and there’s still match fitness / sharpness to regain.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 2:44 PM

George:

Per my comments on the matter–on the right sidebar–I couldn’t agree more. I certainly don’t believe 80% of anyone is better than 100% of someone else at this level.

• Posted by John on 2010/05/11 at 2:55 PM

Matthew, I would tend to agree. Although watching almost every Liverpool game this year I can assure you that 80% of Fernando Torres is better than 100% of Nabil El Zhar, Ryan Babel, and David Ngog.

I would also argue that 80% of Wayne Rooney is better than 100% of Dimitar Berbatov.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 2:57 PM

Those are very good arguments too.

I’m speechless. Case in point, Manchester United with Wayne Rooney against Bayern at Old Trafford; Manchester United w/out Wayne Rooney….

My his going to explode today. You are challenging some of the conventions of the TSG foundation (which are as yet undocumented.) :>

• here is where I think you are wrong. I don’t think most US fans thought he was a lock for SA. we did think he would get a shot to prove his fitness over the next twenty days. That is my issue. Robbie Rogers isn’t going to make a huge difference in SA. He likely won’t make the 23. A 85% healthy Charlie Davies COULD make a difference in SA. Give him his shot in the 30 to show if he is ready. If he isn’t, who is going to argue? But know we don’t know if Bradley is trusting his own judgement/Sochaux’s judgement on his fitness. These two sources have incredibly different motivation in when to declare CD healthy. CD is a game changer. Most of these other guys aren’t at this point. I like rogers and sasha, but they can’t do what Charlie does. It’s a disappointment that he has worked so hard and doesn’t even get a crack at the thirty. It just doesn’t make sense. We don’t have complete information. I pray that if it ever comes out that Bob took Sochaux’s doctors word on this one instead of getting someone out there himself that he is fired on the spot. I like Bob. I like Charlie. I’m bummed the way this is playing out, and think that Davies, like a torres or fab is worth taking a flyer on for the thirty.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 2:33 PM

Another phenomenal comment as well. Thanks.

Best part about TSG? Reading the comments.

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 2:57 PM

Here is where you are lying to yourself. How do you know what an 85% post accident Charlie is capable of? How do you know that he’s at 85%? Think of it like this, if I took away a random 15% of the words in your vocabulary you might find it hard to communicate, not saying that you couldn’t hold conversations, but if your job was to give lectures at highly regarded Universities across the country, your boss might want to think about working that 15% of your vocabulary back in before he starts booking you into very important speeches. Charlie saw a lot of doctors in his rehab, and had daily contact with USMNT doctors so, it’s not even remotely possible that bob only listened to Schoaux doctors.

Your point is that Charlie “WAS” a game changer, but you base your belief on his current skill level on nothing but some twitter posts and hopeful blog chatter about a rapid recovery. The only person I ever heard say he will play in the World Cup was Charlie. No one else said he will be back, most said they hoped he would, which is a diplomatic approach and nothing else. You are basing the things you know about Charlie’s game on what you saw of him Pre-accident, you have know proof that he will ever be the same player.

Hopefully Charlie will continue his successes and be called into the Jan. camp next year. and that is still a MIRACLE.

Just because Santa Claus isn’t real doesn’t mean it isn’t just as beautiful that the people who love you surprise you with gifts every year.

• Posted by Gino on 2010/05/11 at 3:11 PM

Here’s my two cents on the Davies “snub”. EVERYBODY would much rather Charlie “not get a crack at the 30″ than to hear the “crack” of one of his recently healed bones at the US training camp. Charlie’s long term health is much more important than risking a relapse or worse. There’ll be other World Cups for Charlie, and if there aren’t then it would likely be because he hasn’t regained his pre-accident fitness/form. Better he should have the opportunity to play in Brazil 2014. Most of us can recall getting injured in a game and wanting to play through the pain. Athletes shouldn’t attempt to self-diagnose their own injuries. That’s what doctors are for, whether they work for a club or national federation.

• Posted by uncledude on 2010/05/11 at 3:19 PM

“so dude makes a bad decision as a young man and you punish him for that?”
          Please re read my comment. That’s NOT what I said. Dude makes a bad decision and because of that he’s not ready for the World Cup and might not get the benefit of the doubt because of said mistake. He’s not ready because HE made a bad decision not because of some injustice on the pitch. He’s not being punished. He’s living with a consequences of his actions. He’s gonna be in the running for Captain 2014 if he continues to work his ass off and handle this situation with the class he has to this point.

I TOTALLY disagree with people saying BB should gamble with a roster spot. We are30 days away from England…now is not the time to buy a lottery ticket. Let’s start working with what we know we have. Let’s get guys into camp that are 100% and can make the guys going to Rustenberg better. Fab? Torres? 2 of the top 10 players on the planet…making a roster spot for them is NOT a gamble.

Look, I was waving my 9 around and hoping like everyone else but it’s d-day and a few things are now obvious. I understand this is an emotional issue…but it CANNOT be for Bob Bradley. He can’t leave healthy guys at home and hope CD9 get’s right. This shows that #9 isn’t as ready as we all thought/hoped he was. Do you really think Bradley made this decision using the same information we’ve all been getting? No way. He’s not ready to TRAIN at the World Cup level.

“But know we don’t know if Bradley is trusting his own judgement/Sochaux’s judgement on his fitness. ”
          People who think Bob Bradley won’t FIGHT for what he thinks is best for US Soccer for this World Cup are naive at best.

“It just doesn’t make sense. ”
          Sure it does. Bob’s not gonna come out and say:
          “I love Charlie but he’s full of shit if he says he’s 80%. We have had people over there checking on him(mentioned on ESPN this afternoon) and they as well his clubs physios know he’s just not as far along as he says he is. Wanting to play in the World Cup is not the same as being ready to play.” By all accounts Bradley stands behind his players and he’s not gonna trash Davies like that.

“It’s not in the best interests of the players who are actually in the squad to keep hearing “Davies this, Davies that”. ” AMEN. Again, this is an emotional issue/decision for us USA fans but it cannot be for Bradley. I am not a Bradley apologist but when you take our(fans) EMOTIONS and HOPES out the equation…it’s pretty easy to read the tea leaves. He’s not close to Match Fit.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 2:31 PM

I think it is the correct decision too. The USA has to draw a line under this whole Davies malarky and move on. It’s not in the best interests of the players who are actually in the squad to keep hearing “Davies this, Davies that”.

It was really tough for me not to write anything in the article posted the other day (Charlie Davies: “I Don’t Think I Worked This Hard To Come Up Short”). I didn’t want to piss on anybody’s bonfire but I think we *all* knew deep down it wasn’t going to happen.

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 2:43 PM

I think the problem is that a lot of people didn’t know, and hence the shock, personally I would have been shocked to see him on the roster, he was always on the outside looking in after the accident. But still every roster list on every blog I read there he was penciled into the world cup team, and that helped the fan base sell themselves on his return and subsequent World Cup heroics. I am glad that this is over now, and we can concentrate on the actual camp and tournament.

• Posted by Nick on 2010/05/11 at 2:46 PM

I think we all knew deep down that making the 23 was a one in a million shot, but we were all hoping that he would get a chance in the 30 man camp to show where he’s at.

At the same time, the other players taken (outside of Gooch and Holden) have at least been passed fit and were in contention for PT by their clubs, or are in form. Here’s to hoping that Bobbo made the best decision for the team and it works out for US.

• Matt, Holden played 20 or so for Bolton this past weekend. Granted that was his first time back but he at least got quality minutes on the pitch (and missed a rip just wide according to reports).

54. I’m totally okay with Davies not making the roster. Gutted for him, but what can you do? It’s upsetting but we’ve got to work with what we’ve got.

2014 is another story people – we’re winning this thing. That’s the best way to stick it to DIE Rossi et al.

I for on would like to see Bob get it paired down to about 25 pretty quickly so they have a lot of time to work together and get prepared for the Big Cup! Come on you Yanks!

55. None of the final 30 are shocking selections.

The question now seems to which seven players will not make the final roster of 23. I’m guessing that between Buddle, Findley, and Gomez, two of them probably won’t make it. Kljestan, Bedoya, and Torres seem unlikely to make it. I don’t see Pearce making this team either.

Any thoughts?

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/05/11 at 2:34 PM

I think the more likely 7 cut would be Marshall, Findley, Kljestan, Rogers, two of Gomez, Buddle, and Johnson, and one of Feilhaber, Bedoya, Beasley, and Torres.

I see Pearce making it because of his flexibility at LB as well as in the midfield (if needed). I don’t think the Findley can make it to the final 23, and I threw in Johnson to the pick two scenario for the forwards. I don’t think that Rogers can make it either, I would prefer keeping Bedoya.

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 3:32 PM

Marshall, Findley, Klejstan, Rogers, Gomez, Beasley, Ching (Going Home)

Note: Rogers, had a hell of a game Vs. the revs the other night.. The kid is good, just inconsistent..

If Rogers shows up to camp with confidence, then he makes the 23 and Bedoya goes home..

• I think Bedoya makes it, we need an additional outside mid to allow Dempsey to shift up top and he’s had the best play of any of our fringe players recently. Beasley I think has a decent shot as the most internationally experienced on the squad which may leave out Torres. I agree with Pearce making it to provide depth at outside back.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 3:39 PM

I like both players quite a bit.

With Rogers–I agree– more consistency. If you remember–from TSG days of yore–my brother had a hard time seeing him on the pitch for the senior side. I think he offers a lot of skills, just needs to learn when to pass a little bit more.

As for Bedoya…well the interview is below.

It will be a good fight in camp for those two….throwing in Beasley who needs to show that he is fit and committed.

Your “outsides” are them Donovan, Deuce (if not forward), Holden, and two of Bedoya, Rogers, Beasley.

Also I wouldn’t be so sure that Deuce moves up top to start games–Bradley has without fail since the Confederation Cup employed either someone to batter the defense (Casey, Ching) or stretch the defense (Cunningham, Findley, EJ) up top to sort of soften it up for Deuce to move forward and find holes.

Another discussion for another time.

• “Also I wouldn’t be so sure that Deuce moves up top to start games”

I’ve made this point before and I’ve never seen it addressed. We all seem to want to see this happen but the simple fact is we’ve never seen it. Some of that has been due to injury, but it’s still theoretical at this point.

56. Matthew,

Very thoughtful commentary. One of my writers took the same approach with regard to Davies’ absence from the roster, with which I initially disagreed. I’m starting to come around and realize that while it’s unfortunate Charlie won’t be on the plane to South Africa, it’s probably more tied to him being unable to put the finishing touches on a tremendously successful uphill battle rather than what he would have brought to the pitch at his current fitness level.

With regard to Gomez and Buddle, I still have a hard time not viewing their additions as gimmicky. That being said, making a few high-risk, higher-reward type selections may ultimately prove to be to the squad’s benefit. Finally, as a fellow Terp I should just bite my tongue, but what’s up with the inclusion of Robbie Rogers? I’m not sure if you or someone else said it, but this young man has had more than a few opportunities to impress the USMNT press, but has continually come up short.

Lots of comments on this post — keep up the great work.

Best,

Dan

57. Johnson has actually done some scoring at Aris this season. So, for me, he’s more of a known quantity than either Gomez or Buddle at this level. Kljestan seems to disappear in big games. I can’t see either Beasley or Feilhaber getting cut at this stage because they have experience at the top level. Beasley has pace in his favor, plus the propensity for scoring big goals like the one that decided a Scottish Cup final. Neither Torres or Bedoya were capped regularly for the USA (as for their appearances with their clubs I couldn’t say). I hear you re: the versatility of Pearce, but Captain Carlos, Spector and Bornstein can play left back. To me Rogers seems like one of the few wing midfielders we have that might actually score a goal. Plus, Rogers is pacy and tends to play wide…this is good because our strikers are going to need all the space they can get.

I still think it was a mistake to leave Adu out. I would’ve chosen Chris Seitz instead of Hahnemann, though Hahnemann is certainly a fine choice for third string keeper.

It used to be easier to figure all of this out, as players that weren’t featuring regularly for their clubs didn’t make the cut for the World Cup. It seems like all that has gone by the wayside though. In which case, why not Mike Grella at Leeds, or Marcus Tracy? I wonder if playing all the games for you MLS club is worth less or more than someone who has played a handful of times for their euro club? Sometimes I think age wise we look a bit rickety. We’ll just have to see I suppose.

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 3:36 PM

I dont see Beasley makeing the 23.. (See Confed cup)

Experience or not, his head is not in the game, sure he shows up to some games when played, but on the stage vs them big teams in Africa during the Confed cup he made some horrible mistakes..

(If he does make it however; I hope he proves me wrong cuz I like him alot..)

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/11 at 3:44 PM

Beasley–if committed–gives you three very important things:

1) Someone who has been to two World Cups 2) A veteran who is very affable and should help but youngsters at ease 3) Like Erick Dampier, the man is going to need to play for a new team

• Posted by uncledude on 2010/05/11 at 3:48 PM

“3) Like Erick Dampier, the man is going to need to play for a new team”

This is a HUGE point. If he makes the 23 he will be running his ass off.

• Posted by Shane_K83 on 2010/05/11 at 3:58 PM

I hope your right Matt

• Both Torres and Bedoya have logged a LOT of minutes at their respective clubs this season, and I think Bocanegra’s recent injuries give a good reason to add another left back option in Pearce. Rogers’ inconsistency has killed any real shot he has at the squad IMO, he has the physical tools but hasn’t had a great performance for the Nats in recent memory.

Disagree on Hahnemann, he had a very solid season at Wolves and I think could actually make a run at the #2 spot.

58. Posted by Tom M on 2010/05/11 at 3:36 PM

Hahnemann will be probably be number 2 and is light years ahead of Seitz. Grella doesn’t play and Tracy has been injured since the January Camp Cupcake. Bedoya and Torres regularly start for their respective club teams. As far as age the oldest field players are Chng, Demerit, Cherundolo, and Boca at 31. The rest of the squad are in their prime or earlier age wise

59. because I can’t reply to the string up above, the reason you bring Davies to the 30 is because you don’t know what he is capable of now. If he isn’t fit to play in the friendlies, so be it. Just one more easy personnel decision. but if he is, then you can see where he is at, if he would be valuable. I like Charlie Davies, but as a player I loved what he brought to the field. His intangibles up top are something no one else has in the player pool currently. THAT is worth spending a spot in the thirty that would go to someone who wasn’t making it anyway. this isn’t risky. it isn’t foolish. it’s a calculated assessment of a player who could be a difference maker in the World Cup. You say that we don’t know if he will be the same player, I say we don’t know if he won’t be the same player. This is a thirty man roster. Taking him to the camp is worth the gamble.

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/11 at 4:41 PM

Your not understanding what I’m saying. I’m saying YOU DON’T know what kind of player he is and what he is capable of right now. I’m saying that the coaching staff DOES know what he is capable of. You want him in camp for your own personal beliefs. The coaching staff doesn’t need to make a personnel decision in two weeks that can easily be made now. You are saying that “his intangibles up top are something that no one else has in the player pool” and what the coaching staff said by leaving him out of the roster is that he doesn’t have them right now either. and further more won’t have them in time to help us. So as a team they are moving forward and you need to understand they did this because they want the best chance to win games. It’s not a gamble to bet on a two legged horse when all the rest have four. That is called a losing bet. You can bring the horse to the race and everyone will clap when it finishes but in the end someone spent a lot of time and money to produce a feel good moment for the people involved with the horse. You wouldn’t put that horse in the Kentucky Derby when you have other four legged horses to pick from.

If Charlie had been picked for the 30 man roster then we would have to have this debate when he was left out of the 23 because people would say ” Oh, how could they leave Charlie out! He should get the final roster spot so that he motivates the team or whatever rhetoric you want to put there. This was a decision that is best for everyone involved. Charlie cannot play in the World Cup, and there is no one but fans and Charlie who thought he would.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/11 at 7:10 PM

Dylan, I agree with you 100%. Bradley’s job is not to make a fairytale happen for Davies** but to pick a squad that will go as far as it can in the WC. And not to worry about the “intangibles” because quite franky, it’s not realistic for him to be fit in time. Bradley made the right call to concentrate on the players that he does have fit.

**Sorry for all those people who liked those YouTube clips that put a little fire in your belly, and made you feel invincible, started to beat your chests to chants of USA USA!

• Posted by uncledude on 2010/05/11 at 4:45 PM

“is because you don’t know what he is capable of now.”

Here is where we’ll agree to disagree. I think that Bob/US Soccer know EXACTLY what he is capable of now and that is why he’s being left off the roster now instead of bringing him to camp and have him killing himself to make the squad and risk further injury. This way (as BB said) he can focus on his recovery so he can resume his career and become the greatest attacking force in US history.

Shame we aren’t in bar and can’t bang this one about for a few more pints. :)

• Posted by Freegle on 2010/05/11 at 7:17 PM

All the cards on the table… I wanted Charlie there as a fan. But, based on the logic as well, I’m disappointed and surprised that Sweatpants didn’t include him in the 30 for a couple of reasons:

1) It’s a great story (inspiration). He seems well liked by teammates (chemistry). He has been in the system (experience, continuity). He works his butt off (effort). and he is very obviously a great player when healthy (talent)…. The first up there is a bonus, but the last four parentheses are basically the 4 tenets of Bob Bradley’s coaching tenure in the World Cup cycle. He has made it clear that he values talent, expereince in the system, effort, and team chemistry above all things (even a player’s form). So, why are you excluding a player who embodies those things, maybe more than any other player in the pool?

2) This may be my bias talking but I don’t totally buy the “His club team wouldn’t clear him” explanation. It’s passive and it smacks of making excuses and passing the buck. We have team doctors. They are capable of making these decisions. Let them do their jobs. I’ve heard a lot of talk about it not being in Sochaux’s best interest to clear him because he might get hurt. That goes without saying though doesn’t it? They want to protect their investment. But, it’s not the USMNT’s job to “protect” Charlie. Players get hurt all the time in camps and friendlies, even completely healthy ones (See: Holden, Stuart). Bob Bradley’s job is to win World Cup matches. If CD9 can help do that, it is his right and responsibility to bring him into camp, not bow to the desires of a French League team. (Seriously, who ever surrenders to the French anyway?) Regardless, If Charlie is willing to put himself on the line to play for this team, who are we to say he’s not “physically” ready…especially considering this last point.

3) My biggest problem with his ommission is some of the others who did get called. Kljestan, Rogers, Marshall, and Findley are all useless call-ups. They either have been proven lacking in the past (Findley and Sacha) or play positions where we already have enough solid depth in front of them (Marshall, Rogers). We know what we are getting from them and it’s not better than what we already have. In this case, Charlie being a question mark should work in his favor. We have 21 days between now and the final roster date. I can tell you, from both personal and professional experience, that is an eternity as far as rehab is concerned. Who knows where CD9 could have been by then? Bottom line… in 3 weeks, we know Sacha Kljestan and Robbie Findley will still have nothing to offer this team. NO ONE knows what Charlie Davies would have to offer… and Bob Bradley just threw away his best opportunity to find out.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for reading.

60. Posted by BW on 2010/05/11 at 4:51 PM

man….I had to wait all day to get home for these results. duece up top with jozy is the only reason I didn’t just throw my laptop across the room…well that and the separated shoulder. chuck-D….man I feel bad for that kid. 2014 is no consolation either – that tournament is all Brazils.

61. Posted by markvisax on 2010/05/11 at 9:25 PM

-Not surprised Davies didn’t called, Bradley made the professional, mature decision; this way he can focus on finding his strikers, instead of being distracted by the Davies Drama

-Kind of surprised Conor Casey wasn’t called up (not that I’m sold on his playing)

To all those who scoff at the inclusion or the possibility of DeMarcus Beasely making the 23:
    Ask yourself who is the most important player on the field, the guy who should be captain?
    Landon Donovan. We all know that he is our achilles heel, take him out of the equation and we have no time tested play-maker. With Beasely, you have proven skill, loads of experience, and when he is on, a real play-maker. Did you see that game against the Netherlands? Bradley took Donovan off specifically to see the team’s reaction, Holden may be the next Donovan, but I wouldn’t put that pressure on a barely capped player. Beasely is Donovan’s sub, he knows when he has to step up. If he was at the peak of his abilities, I would have him on the left, and move Donovan to the right where he played quite effectively for Everton and push Dempsey up top behind Altidore. At this point, Beasely will be just an important sub if he can’t get his mojo working in the play-off series.

62. Posted by Smitty on 2010/05/11 at 9:58 PM

None of us know CD’s match readiness better than the USMNT staff. Does anyone think that Bob agonized more over the decision to leave CD off of the squad, or Conor Casey? I am sure there was no tougher decision for him, and I gotta side with the Sweatpants on this issue. For all the reasons that everyone has listed, it would have been great for him to be on this squad. But if he wasn’t ready, then now is the time to move forward, rather than on the eve of the Cup opener. How much more heartbreaking would that have been, for CD and the rest of the squad, if Coach had to cut him loose a month from now? CD is still young, and he still has his best days ahead. I hope he manages to find ways to inspire this squad from afar over the next 60 days. Maybe he makes a cameo in the stands in SA at some point?

• Posted by Freegle on 2010/05/12 at 9:12 AM

How is Holden “out-of-favor?” He was injured, not benched due to poor form or attitude.

63. Posted by Jimmy Salango on 2010/05/12 at 10:41 AM

Eddie Johnson injured playing for Aris looks like a Hamstring

• Posted by CJ on 2010/05/12 at 3:50 PM

As much as I’d hate to see someone go down before a big tourney in terms of them losing the potential to prove themselves, especially an EJ (lots of potential even still), I’d have to say in his particular case I’m also somewhat relieved. He reminds me quite a bit of a US rapper with his swag but, as good as that is for his own confidence it’s awful from a team cohesion perspective. When I saw EJ play before with the USMNT he appeared to be like a junior playing with the senior squad yet he’s what, 26? Seems to me like he’s a liability in the camp whose only getting the call in case Buddle or Gomez don’t prove much or go down before the 1st match.

64. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/12 at 10:51 AM

When are the MLS players released to the USSF – after this weekend’s games?

65. Posted by BW on 2010/05/12 at 5:26 PM

so the statement from FC Sochaux on the website says it was solely the US decision? anyone else think they are trying to refute a scapegoat attempt from Bradley, blaming their lack of medical clearance for Davies exclusion from the squad?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/12 at 11:40 PM

I think Sochaux had a vested interest not to pass Davies fit. You have to remember, their “investment” was almost ruined in October and putting “their investment” in harm’s way…well they have no reason to do this.

Davies can still not be prohibited from going to USMNT camp (I need to check this.)

I don’t think the that Bob Bradley should have invoked Sochaux at all in his press conference. He should stand behind whatever the USSF decision is/was:

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/13 at 5:55 AM

Matt – I think you are absolutely right. The USSF have the right to select any player and have USSF doctors look over him. But in Bradley’s defence, he did say that he has been monitoring the situation very closely and even sent a USSF doctor to Sochaux to confirm findings.

66. [...] Dude: With ode to “juice boxes” an “orange slices” in defending Charlie Davies exclusion from the 30-man [...]