Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan
Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Spector, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein, Heath Pearce, Chad Marshall,
Jozy Altidore, Brian Ching, Eddie Johnson, Herculez Gomez, Robbie Findley, Edson Buddle
We’re about a half hour after the announcement and I took the last 30 minutes to inventory all your comments below, to scan Twitter, etc.
• We wrote last week that, in our minds, Charlie Davies’ comeback was already a success. Unfortunately, Davies lost his race to be in the camp form according to the USSF training staff.
This won’t be received as a popular decision, but it is the right one if Davies is not fit.
There is 30 days to build teamwork, and synergy on the field. The USMNT needs to be focused on its goal of advancing in South Africa during this time, not questioning if a player should be there or not.
• In hindsight, it’s clear to see Bradley favors players that know the system and are familiar with it. Robbie Findley–while incomplete in his short audition on the international stage–clearly fit-in and following Bradley’s game plan better than Jeff Cunningham.
• In a pinch, both Robbie Rogers and DaMarcus Beasley can fill in on the outside wingback role. Heath Pearce can play either side. So flexibility at the outside back role for Coach Bradley.
• This is the exact same roster that I had out there this morning with the exception of Conor Casey for Sacha Kljestan. I think you will see the USMNT–as they did for 20 minutes or so in Holland–at least an attempt a 4-2-3-1 here.
• The first question of the new strikers (Gomez & Buddle) is are either international caliber. The second question is how quickly can they learn the system. With seven forwards selected here and the US likely to stick primarily with the 4-4-2, I think you’ll still see four strikers go to South Africa. My money right now would be on Altidore, Buddle, Ching and Gomez. I have thought for a long time that Buddle–if healthy and committed–has the type of body and speed necessary at the next level. Tightest race, right now in my mind, will be Gomez versus EJ and Findley.