Camp Break: MLS All-Star Ballot Now Out

Who doesn’t love picking all-stars. This week is on American soccer overload. Love it.

The MLS All-Star ballot is in full effect.

Tell us who you are voting for. I will honestly use your commentary below to help make my selections.

Some bits from me:

•  I’m kind of upset I can’t vote for Ross LaBeaux; my preseason MLS rookie to watch out for….well, there’s not much to watch yet.

• Does/should the entire Los Angeles Galaxy backline make it?

• I don’t know the rules so I know you’ll scold me on this one. You think Bill Hamid was left off because he would be a very popular pick? Would he be? I’d pick him just for fun. Hmm…Manchester United only re-upped with Edwin Van Der Saar for one more year and they just shipped out Ben Foster today. History of grabbing the MLS best keeper. I smell….conspiracy!

• ….yet they have Chris Seitz on the roster. He’s like the MLS version of the USMNT’s Jonathan Bornstein right now. Stick with it lad!

• Why is Sean Franklin listed as a midfielder when he’s the best wing fullback out there? Any ideas anyone?

• Should Seattle be allowed representatives at forward?

• In all seriousness, any chance Shalrie Joseph makes it….if so, will he honor the nod?

• How do I vote for Kyle Beckerman to be the captain of the team?

Okay, and what about this idea?

Make this a two-night affair! First night is the customary MLS All-Star game. Second night you mix up the squads with, let’s say Wayne Rooney and Landon Donovan picking players one-by-one in front of the crowd.

Who wouldn’t love that!

1. Posted by Sam on 2010/05/18 at 10:54 AM

Come on guys, pick Moreno. Get him and McBride together.

Then they can yell at Man U to get off their lawn.

2. Posted by Colin on 2010/05/18 at 10:56 AM

Hejduk

3. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/05/18 at 11:24 AM

Dilaver Duka. Seriously though, Bruce needs to bring him in over the transfer window in the summer. He’s rotting away over there in Columbus.

4. Posted by Tom M on 2010/05/18 at 11:24 AM

Don’t know if everyone saw this but, Zach Herold, a member of the US under 17’s and Toronto FC had to retire due to a heart condition. Very tough break. Also this past weekend at Red Bull Arena the fans gave a 14th minute salute to Joe Vide the former Red Bull battling Hodgkins’s Lymphoma. Nice touch. Jozy was at the game as well and MSG interviewed him. Can we vote for Henry? J/K.

• we need a write in area for Herold. would be awesome to honor him as an honorary MLS all star considering what he is going through. Matt can you email someone at MLS? We will help in any way possible…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/18 at 10:29 PM

Will ask MLS tomorrow…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/20 at 11:26 AM

Update: There is none…MLS hasn’t responded by Twitter and I can’t find the appropriate contact.

I will email Don Garber tomorrow if I don’t reach the right person.

5. I haven’t looked at the ballot yet but the locks should be Landon and Buddle (obviously), Kyle Beckerman, Joel Lindpere, Omar Gonzalez, Tim Ream, Guillermo Baros Schelotto, and Donovan Ricketts. I could be forgetting some players but all of those guys have been amazing this year

6. Posted by sidereal on 2010/05/18 at 12:14 PM

Leo Gonzalez also listed as a midfielder. Ridiculously.

7. Posted by Tom M on 2010/05/18 at 12:21 PM

Wondolowski, Convey( no really), LeToux, DeRosario, and Javier Morales have ben good as well. I haven’t seen every team play so its a bit early to vote. MLS needs a Baseball Tonight kind of show. I know Fox Soccer Report shows highlights, but a MLS only show would be cool like Fox Soccer’s Super Sunday Plus.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/05/18 at 12:26 PM

MLS: They need that Thursday Night game to be consistent.
      – The Need a non-web based high production value “segment” at the least — at least 15 minutes, maybe 30…not hanging up jerseys around a set where the soundproofing is showing.

I wouldn’t let Bobby Convey on my team if I was even Phil Weston (try that reference on).

LeToux (or Bizarro Kenny Cooper as I like to call him) is a definite.

DeRosario….someone should have nationalized him south of the border a long time ago.

• Posted by patrickhattrick on 2010/05/18 at 6:45 PM

Nice Kicking and Screaming reference. I reference that movie twice a day.

8. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/05/18 at 12:24 PM

Sebastian Le Toux caught my eye in a very unimpressive Union side – he was different class. Pity about those pink boots though. Is he still injured?

9. Posted by Nick on 2010/05/18 at 12:32 PM

I like the Roo and ‘Cakes pick ‘em game idea. It would really bring home the play-ground aspect of it. Though, that game should be the first night and be more like the NBA or NHL All-Star game, no hard tackles/defense and just have fun with it. Then get down to the dirty business of the actual game that means something to us and the media the next night.

• Posted by Sam on 2010/05/18 at 1:24 PM

“I’ll take…. Milhouse. ”

“I’ll… take…. Daryl Strawberry.”

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/05/19 at 7:03 AM

Aww man, alright I’ll take Nelson…..

I’ll take……..Don Mattingly.

Haha, great episode and even better reference.

10. Posted by Mike Mc on 2010/05/18 at 2:16 PM

And Heath Pearce is listed as a defender, which is his natural position, but he’s actually been quite a standout for FC Dallas playing at the left midfield position most of the season so far.

11. Is anyone else going to the game? I don’t care who’s on the squad that much, but Man United is the big story line for me. No rooney, too bad.

Speaking of United I was reading that Sir Alex says we should advance. It got me thinking that Sir Alex has always had good things to say about US Soccer even if his club isn’t one to reflect it. Can anyone imagine Fergie coaching the US? Best coach we would ever have. Just throwing it out there, chance are probably .05 out of 10, but just interesting to ponder.

12. […] few months back, TSG suggested that the MLS All-Stars be broken up with two captains (at the time we suggested Landon and Wayne) […]