Our “Orange Slice” post is back.
Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update throughout the day. Everything goes in here (links, photo, video) that seems interesting and pertinent. Honestly, I hate attempting to do a column on gameday. This–the match–it’s what we’re all here for.
The USA takes on The √ Republic today at Renstchler Field in Hartford, CT. Coverage begins at 4:30PM PST. Game time is 5pm PST.
For TSG’s full preview see: Preview: Who’s Bob Czeching Out?
• I harp on Soccernet quality, but never Jeff Carlisle. One of TSG’s favorites has an excellent, in-depth, non-frothy piece on Landon Donovan.
• I’ve received this question in email and I’m sure I’ve seen it in the commentary somewhere: The USMNT will be boarding for South Africa in D.C. (not Philly) — no other details are known at this time.
• Update: From Steve Goff at the Washington Post:
“The very early — and very unconfirmed, unofficial — buzz is that several regulars will remain in street clothes. The names I hear are Jozy Altidore, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley and Carlos Bocanegra. Other veterans will be in reserve.”
*Note (no disrespect to Steve at all) – the last buzz from the WP was that Freddy Adu was in the 30-man roster.
• The USMNT will be wearing their new home Nike Grey, White & Blue jerseys for the game.
• The weather will be around 80° F when the USMNT takes the field. Altitude (ha) will not be a factor as Hartford, home of some great pizza, is only 75 feet above sea level.
• 23 men dress, 6 subs allowed.
• A very “cool” move by Bob Bradley, inviting the pride of the University of San Francisco, Bill Russell to USMNT training. Well done Sweatpants (who’s wearing shorts in these pictures).
• Carlos Bocanegra had a little-seen chat on ESPN on Monday. One statement caught our eye, “I’m hoping that Finley will be one of the surprises of the tournament. I think he’s got something special to take guys on one on one.”
Might Carlos know something that we don’t know?
• Landon Donovan on SportsCenter, says the US can go to the World Cup finals.
Question here, why doesn’t the US trot out another young face with Donovan? A Stuart Holden, a Michael Bradley? Everyone knows Donovan. Want to interest casual fans….introduce them to a new star!
• The US last played Czech…yes…in 2006. 3-0 to the bad. Tomas Rosicky–two goals in that one–is not with the team for their American roadtrip; neither if not-so-gentle giant Jan Koller. Lowlights here.
• Other major friendlies today include: Nigeria vs. Saudi Arabia, Greece vs. North Korea, and Paraguay vs. Ireland.
• Heath Pearce to Turkey reports are afloat again.
• The man known as Algeria’s “Zidane” will not be making it to South Africa for the Foxes.
• Clint Dempsey after practice yesterday with Hall-of-Fame Boston reporter Frank Dell’Apa….more on Clint at The Yanks Are Coming as well.
• All part of his masterplan? Noel Gallagher says US will earn draw versus the Queen’s best.