Gareth Barry passes the fitness test and here are Fabio Capello’s twenty-two other selections for World Cup 2010.
Robert Green, Joe Hart, David James
Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips
Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney
• No Theo Walcott who appears to lose out to the experience of Shaun Wright-Phillips. Few would have predicted that earlier this year.
• Tom Huddlestone and Scott Parker’s departure from the 30-man suggest that Gareth Barry is progressing well. Michael Carrick is the only “true” cover for Barry. Both Huddlestone and Parker are just too slow for the international game.
• No Adam Johnson. With Lampard, Gerrard, and Milner able to play on the left-t0-mid flank it suggests England’s formation will look very similar to the how the States lined up on Saturday. *Joe Cole, will be Dempsey-like (and perhaps more dangerous) in-cutting from that left side if he gets the shot. Milner is a lefty.
• Ledley King is that good. Warnock proves steady and Leighton Baines ripped up his ticket against Mexico. Jamie Carragher was not coming out of retirement to get cut.
• There is no truth to the rumor that Capello hastily tried to nationalize Manuel Almunia before naming his keepers. (Kidding)