Jozy Altidore Sprains Ankle

Altidore, uh-oh.

US Soccer officially calling Altidore’s sprain mild and that he is day-to-day.

Sportscenter calls it.

Jozy Altidore taken to the hospital with a sprained ankle. No break.

Will update when we have it.

1. #$&%^#&%^*&#^%*&Q^

2. Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/03 at 9:50 AM

So, we avoid injury during the friendlies, but sustain one during training. If this is serious, who do you think the possible injury substitute would be? Would they need to be from the 30? Either way, I think that Ching might get the call back in if Jozy is left out because of this.

Either way, I think that he doesn’t start against Australia, give him some rest and explore other combinations. Gomez-Buddle anyone? Who would have guessed that forward combo even 4 months ago?

Either way, this is not a good thing…Let’s hope that it is minor, he can sit out against Australia, and be back at full strength against England.

3. Posted by John on 2010/06/03 at 9:52 AM

Hello Edson Buddle.

4. Posted by jonk on 2010/06/03 at 9:56 AM

You can see when it happened if you watch the training segment on today’s Studio90. He and Cherundolo are battling at about the 3:20 mark, and Stevie falls on the back of Jozy’s legs.

5. You know what this means!?!

CHARLIE DAVIES IS GOING TO SOUTH AFRICA BABY!

Actually it doesn’t and Jozy will probably be fine but everybody panic just in case.

6. Posted by John on 2010/06/03 at 10:15 AM

mild   [mahyld] Show IPA adjective,-er, -est, noun –adjective
    amiably gentle or temperate in feeling or behavior toward others.
    characterized by or showing such gentleness, as manners or speech: a mild voice.
    not cold, severe, or extreme, as air or weather: mild breezes.
    not sharp, pungent, or strong: a mild flavor.
    not acute or serious, as disease: a mild case of flu.
    gentle or moderate in force or effect: mild penalties.
    soft; pleasant: mild sunshine.
    moderate in intensity, degree, or character: mild regret.
    British Dialect. comparatively soft and easily worked, as soil, wood, or stone.
    10.
    Obsolete. kind or gracious.

I am going with #7 here. Jozy’s ankle is soft; pleasant: mild sunshine.

7. I’m just going to continue my day like I didn’t read this. Everything is fine… everything is fine…

8. Posted by Robby on 2010/06/03 at 10:20 AM

typical

9. “Hi this is Bob and I’m trying to reach Brian Ching”

(in the background) “Tell him I can’t come to the phone because I’m too busy tearing up MLS.”

“Bob, Brian can’t—”

“Yes, I heard him. Will you tell him I’m sorry? It was actually a clerical error. Sorber did it.”

“Brian does not want to talk to you.”

“Understood. Does he know McBride’s number by chance?”

10. Posted by dude on 2010/06/03 at 10:51 AM

An x-ray showed nothing serious, the only question is whether or not he plays against Australia.

Reported from Ives and Goff.

It sounds like a minor hiccup.

As I’m citing other blogs, here’s something that made me laugh, and reminded me of how Donovan used to behave.

11. Posted by John on 2010/06/03 at 11:23 AM

TSHWANE/PRETORIA, South Africa (June 3, 2010) — U.S. Men’s National Team announced the call up of forward Ruiseppe Gossi due to the news that Jozy Altidore sat out training today after incurring a mild right ankle sprain during Wednesday’s practice.

Ruiseppe Gossi is a little known player from Neateck, New Jersey who has starred for the lower division Rochester Rhinos. Not much is known about the Ruiseppe other than he has been a pet project of Bob Bradley for over 1 week now and apparently holds dual citizenship with Italy. Ruiseppe was quoted as saying “I love me the USA!”

12. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/03 at 11:34 AM

He is going to be fine. You lot are worrying about nothing. The worst thing that can happen is that he’ll miss a few days of training and the Australia match. Relax.

• Thanks for the calming words George.

It’ll be good for Findley, Buddle and Gomez to get chances against Australia, since we’ll probably be playing them again on June 26. That means us Yanks can drop Jozy on us Aussies like a secret weapon. They should also be well prepared to deal with a high level defenders in a well-organized side that’s defensively solid, similar to the challenge they’ll face in the group against Slovenia.

Our household is going to be seriously conflicted on Saturday. We’ll have to tie to flags together and wave both. It would probably be best for the ‘Roos to win their group so we can get some revenge on the Germans or Ghana.

13. Posted by kaya on 2010/06/03 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, I ain’t gonna get in a tizzy about it until I hear something other than mild sprain. They have super duper bionic ultrasound stuff they put on your ankle and then you’re good to go like 48 hours later.
    I think we just need to hold our breaths through the Aussie friendly and we’ll be cool.
    Otoh, I can’t wait to see what happens to Cisse in this friendly against China.

14. Posted by Matthew on 2010/06/03 at 11:59 AM

STEVEN LENHART!

15. Thank God for the word “mild.” I just bought a Jozy Altidore jersey yesterday, and I was afraid I wouldn’t even get to cheer for the guy while wearing it next week.

16. Posted by Bob on 2010/06/03 at 3:05 PM

Unbelievable!! On ESPN’s PTI show, they just featured Altidore on their “Happy Trails” segment; a segment usually reserved to say goodbye to players who retire or who are forced to leave their respective sport. I mean c’mon!!

17. Posted by Ian on 2010/06/03 at 3:32 PM

This is almost a blessing in disguise. It will give a chance for Findley to prove that he wasn’t a fluke, or for Buddle or Gomez to prove to Bob that they can fit into the team and that he made no mistake in selecting them for the squad.

• Problem is if we wanted to see if Altidore and Dempsey can play together (well) with Holden and Edu in, we won’t get the chance against Australia. Meaning would having them both up top still be relatively unproven if that lineup is used against England?

There is the silver lining you elude to of getting Edson Buddle some playing time.

18. Posted by Robby on 2010/06/03 at 3:46 PM

Two words: Placenta Cream

• One word: What?
      If that product exists I don’t want to know where you get it from.

Side note Bob Bradley’s conversation right now:

BB: “Hi dear. I am calling from a pay phone. Yes mickey is ok. We all are fine over here. I just was wondering if you could remember where I packed the “magic spray”. I can’t find it anywhere and I REALLY need it right now. What was that? You say I left it at home because it wouldn’t fit in the suitcase with the 8 pairs of sweat gear I brought (one for the Australia game and 7 for the games the US is going to win to bring back the a WC victory). Sh*t…..wait, maybe I can move Mickey up…no…Sh*t. “

19. Posted by Kevin on 2010/06/03 at 6:59 PM

Becks played with a messed up ankle throughout just about the whole playoffs last year.

20. Posted by John on 2010/06/04 at 7:16 AM

From the “It could always be worse” file

Ivory Coast captain Didier Drogba broke his right arm during a 2-0 victory against Japan in a warmup for the World Cup on Friday.

Drogba limped off after a high 15th-minute challenge by Japan defender Marcus Tulio Tanaka. The Chelsea star could miss the tournament.

“It’s an elbow injury, for sure. How bad it is, I don’t know. He had a lot of pain,” coach Sven Goran-Eriksson said before a team spokesman announced it was a broken arm. “Of course I’m worried. He’s our captain and one of the best players in the world.”