How Hugo Lloris Got Jabulani’ed

Either Hugo Lloris needs glasses or that ball did something wild.

China beats France in the tune-up.

1. Posted by John on 2010/06/04 at 12:03 PM

Heh, the first thing I thought when I watched the first video was…. “Damn that is a lot of disallowed goals!…. wait… is that Zidane?!”

2. Posted by Ian on 2010/06/04 at 12:09 PM

There will be way more free-kick goals in this world cup, as well as long range shots. This ball looks like absolute hell for keepers.

3. Posted by MG3 on 2010/06/04 at 12:13 PM

With all of the technology in the Jabulani, you would expect Adidas to equip it with a turn signal.

4. Maybe Rico can score a goal against a keeper outside of CONCACAF with that thing.

5. Posted by Bob on 2010/06/04 at 12:21 PM

Mexico dominates Italy; China beats France; Massive injuries to important players …. This will be a very interesting WC with many unexpected outcomes!

6. Posted by guti on 2010/06/04 at 12:22 PM

Wow, the chinese player hit it so it would spin and curve to the right, but it broke the other way. Lloris completely fooled.

7. Posted by Swa on 2010/06/04 at 12:28 PM

As much as I’m worried that the Jabulani could negate our greatest strength between the pipes, how could you not be extraordinarily excited to see what JFT or Stu can do with that thing from 25 yards out after Carragher drags down Findley in the 83rd minute??

8. Posted by pino on 2010/06/04 at 12:39 PM

Weird, from one view it looks like it took a deflection off the wall, but in the other views it looks like it cleared it just fine. I have been pretty incredulous about the all the ball complaints but it seems like there might actually be something to worry about.

9. Posted by sidereal on 2010/06/04 at 12:49 PM

Jabulani – verb – to beat a keeper by deflecting a ball off of Yoann Gourcuff’s forearm.

10. You know, this is just another knuckling free kick like so frequently go in. If you can hit it so the ball isn’t spinning very quickly the direction isn’t predictable even with a normal ball – take away a few more of the seams that make the ball fly more true (like the dimples in a golf ball) and you’ve got Tim Wakefield pitching on every free kick.

11. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/04 at 1:15 PM

I bet the likes of Zico and Platini wish the Jabulani was the official ball in their playing career.

12. Posted by BW on 2010/06/04 at 1:17 PM

that’s OK. I bet the Irish feel kind of Jubalani’ed too.

13. Posted by Jef_Costello on 2010/06/04 at 1:17 PM

I agree with this. Even local guys I’ve played with can do it pretty well and it sucks when you’re in net.

If the new ball does aid this kind of shot, I’m definitely checking out the Japanese games to see if Honda can hit another one of these:

“http://www.youtube.com/v/2RfWXGAbZOw” if the embedding didn’t work.

14. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/04 at 1:36 PM

I wonder what the statistical correlation will be for players going down easily around the 20 yard mark which have free kick specialists? Surely it’s going to be worse than ever?

15. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/04 at 2:55 PM

Urbandictionary found it’s latest word

16. My favorite part of all of these videos are the ABSOLUTELY perplexed and clueless looks on the keepers’ faces.

17. Posted by FulhamPete on 2010/06/04 at 3:30 PM

That’s a wicked googoly, for sure…but the swing to the left is with the gentle spin of the ball. That’s where it should have gone.

As a physics teacher, my favorite lesson is teaching about the (knuckleball, volleyball float serve, soccer freekick). The best motion is when you get about 1.5-2.0 rotations on the ball. Not enough for gyroscopic effect, but enough for non-uniform air flow.

I wish I could DO it, bu I can’t, so I talk about it.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/04 at 6:17 PM

Do you teach the kids HOW to get the ball to knuckle like that(I.e. How to hit it at a stationary position or as it’ s moving towards you)? If so, that’d be sweet

• Posted by FulhamPete on 2010/06/04 at 9:43 PM

The idea is the same with a soccer ball and volleyball.

First, it’s INFINITELY easier to knuckle a soccerball on a free kick. But you essentially want to send your laces (or head for that matter) through the exact center of the ball in a straight line towards where you want it to go. What it does then, if you kick it right, no one knows…which is sort of the point.

• Posted by pckilgore on 2010/06/04 at 6:51 PM

I can knuckle a volleyball, I can only curve a soccer ball.