USA v. Australia: Join The Game Day Chat

Oz

Gotham

Update: Starting Line-up:

Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, DeMerit, Bocanegra (c); Dempsey, Clark, Bradley, Donovan; Buddle, Findley

TSG writer Brian Mechanick will host a game day chat as the United States takes on Australia in their final–wow–final tune-up before the World Cup.

If you’re familiar with CoverItLive, then you know the drill.

Just click THIS LINK HERE and you’ll get a pop-up that will introduce you into the chat.

"Keeper, Ready?"

"Keeper, ready?" Here we go...(courtesy, Matt Mathai)

TSG of course will be online afterward with our customary review piece.

Best….

Thanks for joining and enjoy the game.

1. Can’t sleep. I’m like a kid at Christmas! (And this isn’t even the WC yet)

Also, first in two consecutive posts. Take note Matthew… I have no life.

• Posted by B-Mac on 2010/06/04 at 9:49 PM

I need FBM to come on by for the chat tomorrow to rationalize drinking at 8:30 in the morning. Maybe if I rock my FBM shirt whilst doing so it will be more acceptable in society…

2. Posted by rusry723 on 2010/06/04 at 10:44 PM

Whose pulling an all-nighter?

3. Posted by Chris Adams on 2010/06/05 at 5:14 AM

No gooch. No Altidore. I think I’m gonna start getting drunk now.

4. Posted by Ian on 2010/06/05 at 5:14 AM

“Getting beat by the Yanks has never been so Kewell”. Brilliant.

5. Clark is still in does that mean Edu is still in the running?

• Does anyone think BB might still be playing head games with Capello as far as Edu/Clark? I could see Edu still getting the start. I don’t think he is playing head games about Gooch but maybe?

Hopefully Edu and Torres come in for Bradley and Clark at half.

6. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/05 at 5:35 AM

I would bet that this is the starting line-up test for next week with Altidore replacing Buddle.

I can’t imagine Gooch starting next week with no time against a rested first team international side.

Goodson is clearly your starter in my mind against the Lions — wow.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/05 at 5:40 AM

I don’t think so, don’t read too much into it Matt but I think Gooch is only resting, and I guess he’s trying to keep Rico’s morale up(?) in case needed . Same with Clarence

Anyone know if the US has the tight fit kits like the Roos do? Love those

7. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/05 at 5:36 AM

Dolo + Donovan + Findley = Deadly

8. Posted by DanPA on 2010/06/05 at 5:36 AM

Clark???? Seriously????

• Posted by DanPA on 2010/06/05 at 5:40 AM

I mean, it’s not the end of the world if he plays now or next week, but is this Sweatpants being stubborn? I was starting to think that coach sweats was starting to get it… i.e.. how little changes can make a big difference.

9. Morning Brian, TSG people. Just finishing my Vegemite toast. Let’s do this thing! 30 minutes of the first half before I gotta take Jr to the rec center so I’m counting on you guys!

10. G’day Edson. Cheers.

11. Posted by DanPA on 2010/06/05 at 5:45 AM

Edson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/05 at 5:46 AM

Somethin aint right about this match…I can’t put my finger on it, maybe it’s only Australia moving so goddamned slowly.

13. Posted by DanPA on 2010/06/05 at 5:48 AM

The socceroo’s look like they are seriously disinterested… you’re there for the world cup for christ sakes… wake up.

14. what a small ass stadium!

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/06/05 at 6:04 AM

Its not a stadium. Its Australia’s training ground.

• oh ok i thought for some reason this was one of the stadiums that was being used….phew, when they cut to rob stone, you could see Jozy and a training sitting on water buckets i thought that was pretty funny

15. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/05 at 6:11 AM

How did Finley miss that?!
    Australia are not offering anything offensively…

16. Posted by DanPA on 2010/06/05 at 6:12 AM

Buddle + Altidore ??

Buddle – 2shots 2 goals, Findley – 1 open net, no goals…. just sayin’

17. Goodson did not close down the space there, that is what lead to Kennedy getting that header chance against demerit. I would say Goodson is playing “ok”

18. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/05 at 6:18 AM

That’s really bad defending from a set piece? What is DeMerit doing? Dempsey lost him. But why do you have Dempsey marking their most obvious threat? This match-up should have been sorted on the training ground. Also, what’s the point of having a defender on the post if they cannot clear the ball when it comes to them?!

19. Posted by Swa on 2010/06/05 at 6:20 AM

“You mess with the horns, you mess with the bull.”

Seriously Harkesy?

20. Dolo = starter
    Goodson maybe
    Clark I don’t think so. Bradley and Clark are both ball chasing a little bit too much they still are occupying the same space far too frequently. I hope Bradley is just giving clark some more time because he hasn’t had a lot of matches this spring. Edu is needed against England.

21. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/05 at 6:24 AM

Interesting to see DeMerit step out and follow the man, leaving 3 at the back (and foul). I wonder if Australia can expolit this space.

22. Posted by dude on 2010/06/05 at 6:31 AM

Edson is definitely working his way into a starting spot, you have to think.

Also, really frustrated that Bob saw the play of Edu and Torres, and his conclusion is still Clark.

23. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/05 at 6:34 AM

Great break from the USA. Very narrow. Aussie RB should be busting a gut to get back!

Good cross from Cerundolo and good goal. The keeper has to come to collect that no? Bad marking from the Aussies – free header in the 6 yard box? Oh dear…

24. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/05 at 6:47 AM

If we mark like this, we’re going to get destroyed by the better teams get destroyed

25. I do not care if they call that off. That was amazing swarming by the whole team

26. So Hahnemann = 2 right?

27. Bornstein NOOOOO!!!

• If BB is still thinking about starting JB against England I am going to go “Howard” on my TV and start yelling incessantly (and unlike Howard I don’t have Tourette’s so I can’t explain it away when the people around me ask why I am screaming at the TV)

28. Too bad that linesman wasn’t the one when Milito was offside against Barca in the Champion’s League, because then the flag stayed down and the goal allowed to stand.

29. The two times Bornstein has been tested in this match he’s looked quite sharp.

30. So BB is protecting and resting:
    Holden, Torres, Edu

Few other thoughts:

1) I have the sneaking felling that BB’s plan for the England match is to start Boca and bring on JB around the 70th mark if he can afford the sustitution.
    2) Dempsey isn’t having the best game. Did he let the Aussies get into his head with the aggressive tackles?
    3) Hahnemann hasn’t done great but the sun in his face had some to do with that
    4) Still the biggest question: Buddle to start alongside Altidore? With Findley at half? Or Findley/Altidore? Or Demps/Altidore with Findley or Buddle at Half?

31. I’m generally pleased, but a bit spotty at the back at times. Bravo Buddle.

32. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/05 at 7:37 AM

Very positive result. Still question marks though, as the defending at times was really poor. DeMerit looked like the Championship defender he really is. He did not look solid at all. As Australia pushed forward in search of the equaliser, you guys had some very good chances to score your 3rd goal before you actually did – some of the decisions and quality of the final ball was very concerning. With the ability you have, you should be taking those chances.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/05 at 3:26 PM

George I dont think you hear this enough but I speak for every TSG reader when I say we apprecite your insight and presence. Most England fans would take any bnter given out by the million US fans oon here straight to the butt, whereas you take it with a grain of salt and play along.

Cheers!

33. Posted by John on 2010/06/05 at 7:47 AM

I still go back to my theory that Bob knows we are going to play a man down at some point, so he put in Clark to let the boys experience what it is like to play with 10 men.

• Posted by dude on 2010/06/05 at 7:53 AM

That was really strange to me. It seems unbelievable that Clark started, but Bob is very hard headed. However, Clark seems to have a ham string. Once again, the fates may force Bob into looking at a player he would not have otherwise (see Demerit when Boca was injured, Davies for Ching, Buddle for Jozy; I’ve wanted Buddle and Jozy to start for a while now, they score in the run of play.

Edu and Torres have to be hoping he is slow to recover.

34. Posted by Dennis on 2010/06/05 at 7:57 AM

“I’ve actually had an opportunity, a couple weeks back, Martin, to strike the ball myself. If you hit it true, like you said, it will go (Inaudible awkward silence mumbles). But the pace of the ball, it flies, and, uh, certainly makes it difficult, you know, to, for goalkeepers” [Australia has half chance]

Yes, John Harkes, we all know that you used to play on the national team, and are so special that they let you kick one of the world cup balls that any one of us can go buy at Dick’s for $130. Thanks for sharing. I really don’t know what I would do without your insightful analysis: “Well Martin, I noticed in the first half that both teams have come here to play” (don’t encourage him Martin). Combining comments like these with your great stories that distract me from the run of play is truly a winning formula. If you could just be a little more biased when evaluating the US players, like your opinion will actually be a factor considered by Bob Bradley, you might just be the best color guy in the business.

Andy Gray is probably strangling maids in his hotel room right now.

35. Posted by Phlub on 2010/06/05 at 8:00 AM

Howard
    Dolo, Gooch, DeMerit, Boca
    Bradley, Edu
    Donovan, Dempsey
    Findley, Altidore

I think everyone played well today with the exception of DMF’s still getting caught to far forward wich will happen in this attack minded 4-4-2-2 formation, and a lack of decisiveness with the final touch (Findley especially). Hard to comment on Hahnemann with the sun. And a few rough moments for DeMerit. Score could have been higher (on both sides) quite easily.

Worried about Findley’s confidence after this. He’s proven his threat with speed and ball control, but the scoring is psychological. And it hasn’t been there for him with RSL either.

Dempsey had a goal (wrongly dismissed), and a great near goal that was saved well by his clubmate. His first touches have seemed a bit bouncy, but he is always involved to say the least. There will be a few bad touches, but they’ll always be made up for with great ones and goals.

Donovan played well, also struggled (today) with final balls in. But good on D and great runs forward.

Buddle and Gomez are now legit 2nd half strikers. And they’re both mature enough to start with confidence even if they lack international experience. I don’t think there is ever a need to have Dempsey as a 2nd striker as long as he’s allowed to play the roaming attacking midfield position he was in today. Same with Landon.

Bradley held well, and had good passes forward. I’d say he’s getting better (and more confident) every match. And I for one think he’s already quite good.

DeMerit had the most questionable moments. I feel like he was trying some things out a bit, by defending forward. But whether it was the pitch or not, he struggled more than I’ve ever seen him in the box.

JB had one really notable ATHLETIC clearance. Improved his image slightly.

36. Posted by KickinNames... on 2010/06/05 at 11:05 AM

Oy! Enough with the athletic clearances!)))0 How about the midfield switched ball to no where? And the 2 or 3 dervish defending attempts out on the left side. I cannot believe that someone suggested him as the logical 70th min sub against England. I tremble at the thought of Aaron Lennon or SWP running at him.
    Loved the Harkes snippet above- anyone notice the always anticipated Harkes shot at his partner Martin at about 75 mins. I was 11 yrs old in 1978….What a pure unadulterated jack— he is. What audience survey did they do that gave them the impression that anyone wants to hear him? Martin at one point was talking to him like his Dad to get him to focus on the game and not his smart=== asides. Priceless.

• You are referring to when I said “I have the sneaking felling that BB’s plan for the England match is to start Boca and bring on JB around the 70th mark if he can afford the substitution.”
      I said that with trepidation as I don’t want to see JB in the game at all but I fear BB does. I think it would be a horrible decision if he makes it but I see him doing it.