World Cup Bracketization Right Here At TSG

We rocked the Champion’s League and just completed a fun Don’t Tread Video Challenge.

You can win the trophy too!

Now seal your fate, earn your embarrassment–AND GET A SPOT IN THE TSG HALL OF FAME–with a victory in TSG’s Bracket Challenge in cahoots with our good friends over at the Free Beer Movement–we’re going to use ESPN’s tech for this one.

Here’s how you do it:

First select which two teams will advance out of each the eight groups. The order you select them – 1st or 2nd – determines where they are placed in the 16-team bracket. Then predict the winner of the 15 bracket matches throughout the Finals. All picks lock with the first kickoff on Friday, June 11, 2010. Good luck!

Just click HERE.

Group: The Flying Hovestads
Password: Findleytotheflag

Oh yeah….and there will be a prize!

1. Posted by Jennifer on 2010/06/06 at 3:26 PM

Great idea. I’d already filled out my brackets, so I’ll head on over and join the group. ESPN lets you make up to 5 brackets. Are we putting just 1 entry per person in for this group?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/06 at 3:31 PM

Up to you — I think that would be right — but I more care that people enjoy (and/or embarrass) themselves.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/06/07 at 6:05 AM

what? like picking North Korea to win it all? I wonder what their odds are…

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/06/07 at 6:20 PM

If you ask me they’re odds are 1 in 32 to win it all.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/06/08 at 5:02 AM

i think thats a bit optimistic, but I can understand why.

They are in a group with Brazil, Portugal, and Ivory Coast tho….

• Posted by B-Mac on 2010/06/06 at 10:47 PM

Can I vote for making the rule one bracket per person if possible? I’m all for having strong opinions on who to pick. (Except for that 1 dollar bet I had a friend make in Vegas on 2000-1 New Zealand win the World Cup. Go All Whites!).

• Posted by Dan on 2010/06/07 at 5:47 PM

Is there a prize for the best team name? I think that “The Bornstein Bears” is pretty clever but that may just be me.

2. Posted by Johninho on 2010/06/06 at 5:46 PM

I’m in! Got Spain over Brazil in the Final. England and Argentina the other semis.

• Posted by Colin on 2010/06/07 at 6:07 AM

o wow…i have brazil over spain with england and argentina the other semis as well….

I like your style.

• Posted by Johninho on 2010/06/08 at 11:26 AM

Nice! I’ve got some teams I’d consider darkhorses through the knockouts. It’ll be interesting – I’ve never done a WC bracket before.

3. Posted by patrickhattrick on 2010/06/06 at 7:04 PM

I already made my brackets. I’ll just go ahead and join. Terrific idea, I’ve got US in the semis a few times but I’m going to do some repicking.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/06 at 7:15 PM

These are obviously not for money then?!?!

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/06 at 8:22 PM

Well, it is actually very dependent on how the other groups shake out. If somehow the US wins the group, they could face Ghana or Australia, and then possibly Mexico, and boom, the US is in the semi-finals.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/07 at 6:09 AM

Putting the banter aside for one moment and being 100% honest, I think many teams on the top half of the draw (Spain, Netherland, Italy, Portugal & Brazil are on the other half) must be thinking the SFs are an achievable target. In a one off game, as USA proved against Spain last year, anything is possible.

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/07 at 7:29 AM

That is definitely true. When I was filling mine out, I noticed that same fact. That is especially true if France continues its woes and Germany is continued to be hurt by their injuries. If that comes to pass, then likely there is going to be a surprise SF, and it will come from that top half.

• Say US get second and face a Ghana as winner of Group D. US takes care of Ghana and would look slated to face Argentina in the semis. That assumes it all goes to plan for Argentina. You’re telling me you really think that Argentina is going all the way to the semis without incident with Maradonna at the healm?

They’ll probably scrape second in their group, leaving a real path to the semi for the 2nd place team in Group C. Or they could go out to the hosts in an epic upset, or to the US. There’s just no way that Argentina are a semifinalist – they will meltdown. When they do, the USA is well-positioned to be the primary beneficiary and a semifinal rematch with Spain.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/07 at 2:22 PM

I would love to agree with you, and I would be very excited if Argentina went out after the Round Robin (my copy of Evita would get played every day and piss off the neighbours!), but they’re such an unknown quantity. They struggled to qualify, only doing so with a late goal in their last game, however, they have so much talent in that team, it’s hard to write them off.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/06/07 at 6:26 PM

I had South Africa upsetting Argentina and the US couldn’t repeat last year’s feat against Spain.

Did anyone else predict a North Korea v South Korea final?

• Not for more GeorgeCross but you can win a Free Beer Movement t shirt. Impress your friends!

4. When are you going to release the final standings from the Champs League Brackets?

5. Posted by jcbata on 2010/06/07 at 6:10 PM

I went with a combination of hope and thought. The hope came into play when I had the US making it to the semis.

Hope = the denial of reality

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/06/07 at 6:28 PM

I think the US making it to the Semi’s is very possible, but it’s going to take some of that 2002 magic.

6. Posted by John on 2010/06/08 at 8:22 AM

Portugal just went into the half tied with Mozambique. 0-0.