Group A Match 4 – France versus Mexico

CHICHARITO!!!

PEEEEEEP PEEEEP PEEP. Well a goals from one of the youngest and one of the fattest er oldest ensure that Mexico tie on top of the group with Uruguay. Terrible by France. Les Bleus suffering the blues.

92:00 – Domenech doesn’t care one bit. If he did he would have used his third sub. Sadly and I hate to say this but he and the whole French team is a disgrace and a disgrace to their history of fine football.

3 minutes of stoppage time

88:00 – So France still have a chance. Yes Mexico and Uruguay could play for draw but Mexico will want to avoid meeting Argentina in the second round if they do draw, so they might play for the win.

86:00 - Back to Blanco’s penalty. That was the longest run up I’ve ever seen. Am surprised he didn’t collapse from exhaustion right before he got the ball. Pin point placement though.

83:00 – France’s free kick taking is DISMAL. I can’t believe I thought they had a chance to be one of the dark horses of the tournament.

80:00 – A look of smugness on Domenech’s face.

79:00 – GOOOOOOAAAAL. BLANCO from the spot!

78:00 – PENALTY. Abidal slides and the Mexican falls over easily. As Healey says. A well won penalty. Tummi Gummi to take!

73:00 – That was poor from Gignac. The French in the final third have been utterly useless.

69:00 – Govou off, Valbuena on. Its official, Domenech is giving the Eff you to the French public and the FFF for hating him.

66:00 – This goal seems to have woken up the French but Mexico has been defending well.

64:00 – GOOOOOOOOAAAAAL . Hernandez…Chicharito! springs the offside trap, rounds the keeper and slides the ball into the empty net. Mexico 1 – France 0

62:00 - Yawns and napping here at TSG studios. BUT BUT…its TUMMI GUMMI. Franco off and Blanco on. The Mexican talisman.

59:00 – Problem with this game is that their is no good football being played. Bad passing, needless fouls and too much whistling from the ref.

57:00 – WordPress is informing me they will be making some changes to their code and will be kick me off shortly..they promise a quick return. Wish the same could be said for the game.

56:00 – This game is now becoming boring…le sigh

54:00 - Perez makes a good save from Malouda which goes out for a corner.

50:00 - Sagna’s turn to foul as he commits one about 30 yards from goal. Marquez stands over it but chips it to Dos Santos but the French defenders clear the resulting cross.

46:00 - Mexico kick it off. France immediately win a free kick but they cannot get it past the Mexican defenders.

Will we see Henry's dribbling skills in the second half?

Gignac on for Anelka for France.

PEEEEEEP PEEP. Half time at a relatively tame game.

47:00 - The free kick goes into the wall and Mexico break but Toulalan commits a professional foul and earns him a yellow and a seat on the bench against South Africa.

46:00 - Moreno makes a clean tackle on Ribery but the referee whistles for a foul

45:00 – Anelka’s turn to try a shot from long distance but its weak and straight at Perez.

43:00 – Reaching their with the bicycle/Netherlands comment Adrian!

42:00 - Govou with a shot that is blocked by Marquez’s face. OUCH

39:00 - Dos Santos receives a pass and holds it up well, spins and shoots but the shot is wide. Great stuff though from the Mexican forward.

37:00 – Foul by Marquez about 35 yards out. Ribery stands over it. Ball pings back and forth and eventually goes out for a goal kick.

33:00 – Salcido sends in a peach of a cross that Barrera doesn’t quite commit too which enables Lloris the split second he needed to get a hand on it.

31:00 -Vela off, Barrera on.

27:00 – Lloris saves from a close range toe poke as Mexico counter.

26:00 - Mexico’s defense is snuffing out any potential French attack. Much like in the first game, France find themselves the majority of the time in their opponents half but cannot impose themselves to create any danger.

23:00 – Game is pretty even midway through the first half. Mexico have had the better of chances though the French are a little more sure of themselves going forward.

20:00 - Mexico with a dangerous free kick opportunity after a foul by Evra, but Dos Santos’s shot goes straight into the wall.

13:00 – France getting many free kicks to swing into the box, yet nothing comes from any of them. That said that last one came from the training ground as a series of quick one time passes finds Ribery but the ball is behind him. He still composes and shoots but Perez palms the ball out of danger.

8:00 – A beautiful weighted ball is sent over the top to Vela but he balloons a close range shot. Hitting the target might have been easier. Great chance missed by Mexico

4:00 – First yellow card to Franco for what am not sure. Resulting free kick goes way over the bar.

3:00 - Dos Santos with a shot that hits off the post but he was offisde. Nice movement by El Tri.

2:00 - Still no Henry but at least Malouda is on!

"No one will eat with me" :(

TWEEEEEEEEET - France kicks it off

Line ups

France: Hugo Lloris, Bakary Sagna, William Gallas, Patrice Evra, Eric Abodal, Jeremy Toulalan, Abou Diaby, Florent Malouda, Frank Ribery, Sidney Govou, Nicolas Anelka

Mexico: Oscar Perez, Francisco Rodriguez, Carlos Salcido, Rafael Marquez, Ricardo Osorio, Hector Moreno, Efrain Juarez, Gerardo Torrad, Giovani Dos Santos, Guillermo Franco, Carlos Vela

————————————

Well well well…As if things couldn’t get any worse for the French, now no one is talking to Gourcuff and he is being socially isolated. So a recap.

1. Some people arn’t passing to each other cause they don’t like each other.

2. The manager was fired before the world cup but is still coaching

3. No one in France likes Domenech

4. None of the players but Gourcuff likes France

5. No one but occasionally Toulalan talks to Gourcuff.

EXCELLENT!

1. Posted by John on 2010/06/17 at 11:21 AM

Supposedly no one likes William Gallas either.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/17 at 11:27 AM

I’m surprised that Ribery is in there, I thought it was his turn to be chosen for “Sit the Superstar”

3. Posted by Johninho on 2010/06/17 at 11:27 AM

I wonder if Malouda starting changes anything for France. If I’m El Tri, I’d still staple Marquez to Ribery.

4. Posted by Matt B on 2010/06/17 at 11:36 AM

What is the deal with Perez starting over Ochoa? Has Ochoa had a dip in form lately?

• A Mexican friend of mine said that Ochoa had a few shockers for club and country recently and lost the #1 spot.

5. I am not a Mexico fan…but today I am :)

6. Posted by Claire on 2010/06/17 at 11:43 AM

so why does nobody like Gourcuff?

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/06/17 at 11:45 AM

That is unclear…been searching google but i think it might have something to with being Domenech’s pet!

7. Posted by Claire and Jen on 2010/06/17 at 11:46 AM

Is Anelka being bood? Why?

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/06/17 at 11:52 AM

Anelka has in the past been a very prickly person to deal with and earned the nickname “le sulk”. Why he’s being booed here i’m not sure.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/06/17 at 6:30 PM

The french fans were being french! I’m sure Anelka wasn’t too hurt, they do it all the time!

8. Posted by Johninho on 2010/06/17 at 11:50 AM

I’ve never been so happy in my life to actually be ABLE to hear the Mexican “PUTA!” response to a France goal kick.

9. Posted by cfig on 2010/06/17 at 11:53 AM

Mexico’s pace is starting to give France’s backline problems, I have a feeling someone is going to get burned before all is said and done.

10. Posted by Tom M on 2010/06/17 at 11:55 AM

I just can’t get myself to root for the Mexicans. Same as being a Yankees fan I could never root for the Red Sox.

• Posted by itally on 2010/06/17 at 11:57 AM

Think of it as supporting CONCACAF — not necessarily rooting for Mexico!

• Posted by Idaho Vandal on 2010/06/17 at 11:58 AM

Same here.

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 12:01 PM

Not only that, but cheering against the French.

• Posted by Tom M on 2010/06/17 at 12:07 PM

Thing is I don’t dislike France. Albeit this particular team is hard to root for, but I liked the ZZ French teams.

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 12:22 PM

This is no ZZ French team. Plus, poor Ireland.

• Posted by Tom M on 2010/06/17 at 12:31 PM

You are correct about that. Believe me as an Ireland supporter ( second to the U.S. of course) I have no love loss for this French team. I meant in the past I always liked watching the French play. I really am hoping for a draw and for SA to find a way in.

11. Posted by Matt B on 2010/06/17 at 11:57 AM

The French backline has been less than convincing so far, including the 2 hospital balls to Lloris

12. Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 12:01 PM

Vela out injured? That should change the dynamic.

13. Side note: I’m watching this at lunch in a restaurant with some of the most unintelligible closed captioning I’ve ever seen. The longest word spelled correctly so far has been “ball”.

14. Posted by Johninho on 2010/06/17 at 12:18 PM

I wonder if Toulalan’s second yellow also means that Gourcuff misses the SA match, too. Since there’s no one left in the side to mediate between him and the rest of the team.

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 12:21 PM

Could this be headed towards a draw that allows SA a chance?

• Could be, but I think Mexico us gong to get one.

• Posted by Johninho on 2010/06/17 at 12:26 PM

I doubt SA has a chance, anyway. If anything, France’s accumulated cards mean that Domenech HAS to start somebody against SA who should have been in the side to begin with. For example, I don’t think we’ve heard the last from Gignac. In fact, to me, it’s looking like France goes through anyway even if they lose to Mexico, since Uruguay is looking like the kings of this Group.

15. Posted by Tom M on 2010/06/17 at 12:25 PM

I don’t know if its the vocal Mexican supporters or less vuvuzela blowing, but it seems you can hear more crowd reaction in this game. Between the booing and some oohs and aahs I definitely have heard more from the stands in this game compared to other games thus far.

16. Many fewer people in Lucky Bar today. 50-50 mix.

Mexico’s system totally cancels #FRA 4-2-3-1 since there’s no one to chase down early long diagonal balls over the top that would trouble #Mex. #FRA needs to go 4-3-3.

17. Posted by John on 2010/06/17 at 12:31 PM

Just back from watching the first half with a bar half filled withe Mexico fans. They were tense.

I could see myself in them tomorrow.

Now I am tense.

18. Posted by Claire on 2010/06/17 at 12:36 PM

this game’s getting dirty in the second half

19. Posted by John on 2010/06/17 at 12:41 PM

Ribery’s gloves make him look like a jewel thief.

• Posted by Tom M on 2010/06/17 at 1:33 PM

I was going to say Robert Green’s gloves make him look like a goalie. Oops I guess I just did.

20. Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 12:42 PM

The kid is now in for Mexico. This should add in some dangerous attacking play.

21. Posted by John on 2010/06/17 at 12:48 PM

Someone throw a cheeseburger next to the goal! Blanco is coming in!

22. Posted by John on 2010/06/17 at 12:51 PM

That is not the first time that France has used their hands and had them ignored……

23. Listening to that goal call on Univision made it even better :-)

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 12:54 PM

I bet that would have been crazy. The Mexican fans have been nice tonight as well, you can actually here them.

24. Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 12:53 PM

If this holds. Mexico v. Uruguay for 1st place. And France v. South Africa for a chance to go through on goal differential.

• Posted by Matt B on 2010/06/17 at 12:58 PM

Expect Mexico v. Uruguay to be a boring 0-0 tie, as that puts them both through. Right now Uruguay is ahead on goal differential. Hopefully trying to avoid Argentina in the next round would make one of the teams attack

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 1:01 PM

Not only Argentina, but a potential match-up with Germany in the next round. They would be in the same situation as US and England.

25. Posted by Claire on 2010/06/17 at 12:56 PM

why is Henry not in??????

26. Posted by John on 2010/06/17 at 1:05 PM

Blanco needs some oxygen.

27. Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 1:05 PM

PENALTY!! Blanco on for it. 2-0

France out in the group stages?

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/06/17 at 1:09 PM

I don’t see why yet. If they crush south africa and Uruguay beat mexico they should advance based on goal difference. Am i missing something other than Domenech will do everything in his power not to let that happen.

• Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/06/17 at 1:12 PM

Not mathematically guaranteed at this stage. But no goals yet for France in this World Cup.

• The French players are scared that if they do well, they might reverse course and keep Domenech on for another cycle. France are pretty much out – unless Mexico go and try to win the group, look for a boring 0-0 draw between #URU and #MEX.

28. Posted by Claire on 2010/06/17 at 1:05 PM

i am so depressed

29. Posted by John on 2010/06/17 at 1:21 PM

Domenech looked more like he left his checkbook at home rather than he just lost an important game in the second half.

30. Posted by Tom M on 2010/06/17 at 1:29 PM

I love Stevie Mac on ESPN’s coverage. He pulled no punches in destroying the French and Domenech for the embarrassing display they gave today. Plus he sounds like the fifth Beatlewith his Liverpudlian accent.

31. BTW, we’re very lucky that the punditry is actually very good in the US. In the UK it has been dire, they all generally pride themselves on their ignorance of anything not PL-related. Alan Shearer makes Alexi Lalas look downright insightful.

We’re growing a generation of intelligent football fans in this country. It makes a difference.

32. Posted by pino on 2010/06/17 at 2:29 PM

It was a classic blanco penalty. he does that long run up every time. It has to be the scariest thing a goalie could imagine. He reaches top Blanco speed!!!!

33. Posted by stevedubyapdx on 2010/06/17 at 2:45 PM

Has there ever been a more clear case of a country needing to fire their coach DURING the World Cup than France right now?

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/06/17 at 2:54 PM

Steve – He was fired before the world cup and Blanc is set to take over…Am not sure why he didn’t before South Africa. I think it had to do with the current club he managed Bordeaux

• Posted by stevedubyapdx on 2010/06/17 at 3:01 PM

Yeah, I know he’s gone after the WC, so I guess what I should’ve written is “send their coach home DURING…” You know, just for their nation’s pride. I seriously doubt there is anyone left in France who would be disappointed if he’s not on the sidelines for their next match.

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/06/17 at 3:05 PM

oh sorry…my bad…i wholeheartedly agree. Players have been sent home from tournaments before why not coaches!

34. Posted by kaya on 2010/06/17 at 6:29 PM

I thought I felt bad for Les Bleus, the players… but I don’t know, I think they didn’t do themselves any favors and are a group of petty egotistical kids that have dovetailed in disasterous fashion with their “coach”. At least Maradona seems to really like his players while being crazy…
    One of the things the other players don’t like about Gourcuff is that Domenech appears to favor him, and for another thing, he’s supposed to be distant. Apparently he gets on well with the press as he’s well enough spoken, as well as his numerous lady fans, so probably just a lot of petty jealousy.
    At least the french seem to have a good sense of humor about it… though booing your own team is a sad tradition the french seem to like a lot.
    “Virtual Reality: Thanks to this iphone application, Gallas can see Anelka make a pass to Gourcuff”
    It was a party in the Mission District in San Francisco. I’m happy for the Mejicanos, but hell, they act like they’ve already won the World Cup, it was kind of funny.
    So Tuesday, do you really think this crazy new Mexico formation is going to make 0-2 the new dos a cero against the US team?