Jumble: USA vs. Slovenia Predictions

I literally just spent an hour searching The Shin Guardian for my USA group predictions from January. Couldn’t find them.

With the States, and Slovenia, expected to go for the win tomorrow morning. We asked this final question of our Jumble participants….and then got a bonus answer at end from a Slovenian friend of ours.

Will Donovan and Torres create some magic tomorrow....or will Gomez be called on for the sleight of foot? (courtesy, Matt Mathai)

Blackmon, TheYanksAreComing.com:

United States  2, Slovenia 0. I didn’t see anything from Slovenia against Algeria that suggested they’ll be a great threat in the run-of-play, and I imagine tactically they’ll play for a draw. With our counterattack suffocated tactically, we’ll need better link-up play, or a piece of set piece magic, but I love the leadership on this team and think Donovan is determined to not allow his teammates to fail. I think we’ll score early from a set-piece, opening the game up, creating the second late.

Walsh, Ninety-Plus:

USA vs Slovenia. 2-0 win to the USA.  After watching the Slovenia-Algeria match, I came away unimpressed with either team.  They lack speed and creativity moving forward and their defending was questionable at best.

Farley, EPLTalk.com

My initial prediction was 1-0, Slovenia.  My current prediction is 1-0, United States.  Against Algeria, a saw a Slovenia team that was not reacting as confidently and decisively in defense as they did in qualifiers.  This resulting in slow reactions on the part of defenders and midfielders in closing space, challenging attackers.  Playing without the ball as much as they do and given the quick, direct nature of many of the U.S.’s movements, I no longer like the Slovenes to withstand every attack.

Additionally, I didn’t see Novakovic supported as well as they used to.  They just seem to have lost their mojo.

Stollar, FightingTalker.com

His game

I think the US grinds out a 1-0 win. I trust in Bradley and I think we finally break out Eastern Bloc/Balkan World Cup losing streak. I think we’re more talented than the Slovenes and I think, in this case, that will just be enough to see us through.

Matthew, TSG:

The reason I was looking for my predictions is that they went like this: 1-1 draw against England, 1-0 win against Slovenia, 3-1 (or 4-2, I wrote) win against Algeria.

I’m going to change that Slovenia pick. I just don’t think the States can keep a clean sheet against quality competition. There last legitimate clean sheet was against a decimated Trinidad & Tobago team, 1-0, in September. Before that? Not sure.

I think the U.S. eeks out a 2-1 win here. If Slovenia scores first? All bets are off.

—————

And now, our good friend Hampy weighed in from South Africa to use earlier today. The kicker, he’s Slovenian. Here were his bravado-ish comments–though I think they are fare:

About the match, overall feeling in Slovenia is that our team showed really great passion and team spirit in qualifiers.

Dedic for Slovenia...

Mind you Slovenia has population of only 2 million and that our country is only 19 years old! So it was already an achievement for our people that team qualified (for 2nd time!), and we are very, very proud of the lads, since there were quite a few good teams beaten by ours lately (Chech, Slovakia, N. Ireland, and not to mention great Russia with almighty Gus Hiddink (and they even booked the hotel in South Africa before qualifiers! :) ).

But we also feel that our group is not so hard and that this is our chance to progress to next stage.

So overall, we feel that our team on their day can match anyone. We held England with no big problems at Wembley, and with better reffereeing, the 3 Lions could fall.

About USA, we all know your team has grown immensily lately and that Bon Bradley is doing a marvelous job…and Team USA is better by names, money and they play in better clubs. But if your lads will underestimate ours,… then just look at Spain & Switzerland.

———-

Emails like this are why I love the World Cup.

Going to be a good one tomorrow. Here’s to Slovenia looking up at the lights.

1. Posted by Jmart on 2010/06/17 at 6:49 PM

I’ve been thinking that the US would fail to make it out if the group for the last few months, but my opinion has changed lately. While I think most fans probably have thought this game would be a cake walk, I’ve been really worried about playing a team that plays so tight in the back. But for some reason, now I am beginning to truly believe that the US team knows that the England game was just the warmup and this is THE big game and is finally ready to take on the mantle of favorites rather than shrink in that role.

Go USA!!!

2. Posted by MJ on 2010/06/17 at 7:50 PM

Can we talk about how the team is being talked up here back home? (Or is that premature?) They’re running these hero-status commercials for the team focusing on Howard’s stop of Heseky. It looks great. Also, in one article, I think it was Dolo, mentioned emails from home. Is there some official team USA email address we can be dumping our support into? It’s a little late but it would have been neat to organize some kind of wave of e-support through something like that. Guess we’ll just have to do it for the R16!

3. Posted by Johninho on 2010/06/17 at 9:43 PM

I predict 1-nil, USA. I think we’ll park the bus the first half, and set the tone for a ’75 or so brace through Dempsey. These two teams just aren’t the mix you need to pull a Gonzalo Higuain. And we don’t even have a Wayne Rooney up top.

4. Posted by Dylan on 2010/06/17 at 9:45 PM

I’m going to make the bold prediction of a 3-0 US win.
    The boys in blue will make the Charlie Browns whiff on that football a couple more times tomorrow.

5. Posted by Dylan on 2010/06/17 at 9:53 PM

Also Matthew, the last game we had a shutout before the T&T game was the semi final of the Gold Cup against Honduras last summer. 2-0 nil at soldier field.

6. Posted by scweeb on 2010/06/17 at 10:54 PM

All i know is that we need to win!!

7. Posted by dikranovich on 2010/06/17 at 10:57 PM

usa will rain brimstone and fire, and lightening and thunder pon slovenia. 4 nil usa aint russia, and this game is not being played in lubjiana. jozy and the texas tornado mean business, so too do gooch and the keep.

8. Posted by MJ on 2010/06/17 at 11:00 PM

Id just really like it if we treated the first half like it counted, hunkering down for the first half just to get to half time with the feeling that we didn’t blow it is a waste of 45min. That boost of now is the time to go clench the win should be happening at the first minute. I understand wanting to wear down the opponent but there’s something to be said for playing when you’re fresh. Waiting for the final 20 feels like a great way to accidentally tie.

Or maybe Im just freaking out for an opening goal so I can relax the rest of the game.

9. Posted by kaya on 2010/06/17 at 11:13 PM

I wonder if they have Peanuts in Slovenia?
    I watched Studio 90 a moment ago. “Extra Time” featured Michael Bradley and I saw something I never thought I’d see: MB laughed. Several times.
    TSG made a cameo! Well, kinda. One of the twitter questions asked was by “Fireball_for_USA” or something cute like that. Their twitter profile pic was TSG icon 0.9

• Posted by kaya on 2010/06/17 at 11:58 PM

Btw, that’s great you got a Slovenian perspective in here, Matt. The points Hampy makes about Slovenia’s size and age are the kinds of reasons I feel like the U.S. had better get a good result out of this game. I don’t think there’s anyone (super casual fans aside) who thinks we’re in the position to be underestimating WC match opponents, so that’s not going to be a factor.
      We need to avoid pulling any Bornsteins and we should be fine… but soccer is a tad unpredictable. And for better and worse that is the reason I love the WC.

10. Posted by John on 2010/06/18 at 4:33 AM

I can no longer sleep. Its GAME DAY. LETS GO USA!