Moving On: USA vs. Brazil, August 10th

TSG will be back this week with a boatload of debrief on the USA’s second round run in World Cup 2010.

Agbossoumonde &.....

In the meantime, moving forward, who should take part in the USA vs. Brazil exhibition August 10th in New Jersey.

We’ll take another look beyond this one. Don’t worry.

Here’s a very early stab at selecting some of the 23 right now:

G: Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

The skinny: Will Guzan get out for this one? He certainly needs some exposure, especially if he’s planning on competing with Tim Howard who will be 36-years-old for World Cup 2014, Brazil.

I’d like to see Bill Hamid make the drive up the road from D.C., but I think that’s a bit too early.

...Lichaj...future defensive bookends?

DEF: Jonathan Bornstein, Chad Marshall, Clarence Goodson, Eric Lichaj, Omar Gonzalez, Kevin Alston, Gale Agbossoumonde, Tim Ream, Sean Franklin, Jonathan Spector

The skinny: Hard not to include hometown man Ream. Not a huge fan of Ike Opara, but he perhaps warrant a look or spot. Both Agbossoumonde and Lichaj deserve to be in next year’s Gold Cup squad if not on the pitch August 10th.

Omar Gonzalez is….a no-brainer.

MID: Landon Donovan, Alejandro Bedoya, Stu Holden, Maurice Edu, Robbie Rogers, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Torres, Mix Diskerud

The skinny: I think you have to run Donovan out there. He’s local with the Galaxy and he just screams USA Soccer enough with relative fresh faces likely to be in the picture.

Stu Holden should start. Period. End of question. I don’t even care if he’s not there. A travesty at Holden’s lack of playing time this June.

Will Diskerud be in the "mix"?

Will Mikkel Diskerud make the jump? How about player on the periphery Jeffrey who will be starting up a Bundesliga campaign?

STR: Charlie Davies, Robbie Findley, Jozy Altidore, Tristan Bowen

The skinny: Would be a great moment for the fans to Charlie Davies get a run out. Mike Grella who spent a lot of pine time at Leeds might merit consideration.

Freddy Adu, should not. He’s had his chances and though he’s from nearby Maryland. It’s time for a fresh face to represent the States up top.

Others to consider: Herculez Gomez (F), Sam Cronin (M), Kenny Cooper (F), Brad Evans (D), Sacha Kljestan (M), Jared Jeffrey(M), Gabriel Ferrari (F), Sal Zizzo (F), Ike Opara (D), Luis Gil (M), Mike Grella (F) and Jimmy Conrad (D – as a veteran presence and MLS representative).

Who do you think?

1. Posted by Chess GM on 2010/06/27 at 2:43 PM

Anyone but Ricardo Clark!! He should be banished to a second division team in the Mexican League.

2. I know that Sacha just made a move to a new club, but its hard not seeing him play a role in the next 4 years. Also no love for Benny?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/27 at 2:45 PM

Those are possibilities as well — actually i’ll include Benny–who was born in Brazil.

Kljestan I’ll include as well

• Also regarding Lichaj, do you know if he will get any playing time soon? I don’t watch a lot of EPL but I remember reading that their right back was old (30+) and that he has had a few successful loan stints at lower division clubs

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/27 at 2:47 PM

O’Neill likes him a lot — we’re trying to get him for an interview shortly.

I would expect he gets some time — more than Guzan I imagine.

• Right on that would be cool. It seems as if in modern soccer outside backs are becoming increasingly important, especially as attacking threats. It would be nice to have a back starting for a good club in a great league

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/06/28 at 3:33 AM

Luke Young apparently wants to go back to London, but O’Neill is rumoured to be in the market for an established RB, and sees Lichaj as one for the future. There were also whispers that he wanted Nathaniel Clyne, but they have died down.

3. Definitely NOT Sacha. We’ve got real options in the MF and there’s no sense in looking back. We know what’s down that road.

4. Posted by dude on 2010/06/27 at 3:33 PM

If this is really just a run out for all the players who Might be good enough in 4 years, I will be pissed. My family paid good money in the hopes of seeing Brazil and the US play a pride match. Damn.

Well, guess it all depends on whether Bob is in charge or not.

5. Posted by Jr on 2010/06/27 at 3:34 PM

I think it’s time for guzan to be loaned out for Aston villa… It was clear as day how rusty he was during the Czech rep. game

6. Posted by Jr on 2010/06/27 at 3:37 PM

Also… No Spector?? I think he has a bright future if someone at west ham would stick him at RB and stop experimenting

7. Posted by KMac on 2010/06/27 at 4:04 PM

That’s why I didn’t buy tickets, that close to the other pro pre-seasons, international fixture or not, who do we really think will “want to” or “have to” come for both sides? Hard for me to guess..

8. Posted by Nicholas on 2010/06/27 at 4:28 PM

Generally on board with those suggestions.

Hypothetically speaking, would a guy like Michael Hoyos merit consideration if he were to clear up his national status?

It seems like we have a bunch of the core nucleus at age 28 or 29. Wonder if they’ll be at the top of their games in the next world cup cycle.

9. Posted by s44 on 2010/06/27 at 4:30 PM

If Lichaj is trying to earn a squad place at Villa, obviously he stays with them. They might still be in the US, though? So he could come with Guzan, though again he might be battling for *his* place. I don’t think it’s too early for Hamid.

Donovan may be settling in with Man City or whomever.

Opara and Agbossoumonde were *so bad* with the U-20s that I find current hype about them very, very hard to believe. (Just like EJ.) More curious about Ream and obviously Omar.

10. its quite hard at this point to guess who will be there…i would really like to see all the big boys here, as i expect it to be bob bradleys final match. On a FIFA date, against Brazil, I expect all the big boys. Maybe Bradley doesnt even last that long and whoever is the new manager will want to bring in the best immediately

but, can we please banish Robbie Findley from the national team program until he can A) control a pass B) obtain a first touch, and C) finish chances

Would like to see Jermaine Jones and Edgar Castillo though, maybe some young guys like Bedoya, Diskerud, ADU, Gale A., Gonzalez, and Lichaj

• Posted by s44 on 2010/06/27 at 4:43 PM

Findley was a stopgap. We’re back to the Charlie health watch.

• Sorry, but Findley’s best assets are his first touch and his speed. Agreed he’s not the ultimate answer for us, but to say he has no first touch is to ignore that his is the best in our entire forward pool (not saying much admittedly).

11. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/27 at 4:54 PM

I giess now would be a good time to start my Dilaver Duka Campaign.

I expect Freedom Adon’t to get a call.

And another thing, can we cease with the use of “jolazo” until Jozy scores a goal like Chicharito’s? Right now Mexico is beating us in the young tall strikers race.

Also, where exactly is the Brasil match?

12. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/27 at 4:57 PM

And a good idea would be to cap any iffers so they won’t go Subodick on us

13. Posted by Nicholas on 2010/06/27 at 5:03 PM

@ Antonio, I think under the new rules, you’re not cap tied unless you play in an official FIFA competition. Might not be a bad idea to call these gus in to build goodwill, but it doesn’t officially make a difference (again, I think.)

14. Posted by Eric - ATL on 2010/06/27 at 5:55 PM

and Jurgen Klinsman as coach right!!!

15. Posted by Freegle on 2010/06/27 at 6:40 PM

Is Marcus Tracy Healthy yet? What about Chris Rolfe?

I second the Edgar Castillo and Jermaine Jones (any word on his health?) picks… get them some minutes in a USA jersey at their natural/preferred positions and see wha they’ve got to offer.

Maybe a Bobby Convey sighting if he continues a fine run of form between now and then?

Pearce, Orozco, Simek possibly in defense.

I also hope we get as many of the “regulars” as possible having already bought tickets, and not just for USA. I’d like to see Brazil bring whoever they can as well.

16. Posted by Bob on 2010/06/27 at 7:10 PM

I guess the 23 will depend on the purpose of the friendly. Is it to honor BB and give him one last hurrah? Is it to see who may be on the 2014 WC team, the 2011 Gold Cup team, and/or the 2012 Olympic team (I know there are age restrictions here)? Or is it designed to see who will be invited to Camp Cupcake 2011? Since it will be held in August, I think we can count out the European players, including Guzan who has said he wants a loan deal instead of spending his time on the bench.

I liked to see some of the WC bench players get a start here to see if they should be in the picture for future call-ups.

Striker: Buddle and Gomez would be a nice choice imo. Davies would be great but Sochaux will not let him play in a meaningless friendly – we know that for a fact. Hopefully, Jozy will be in Spain trying to get a shot at first team time with Villareal. No Findley. I like the the Bowen call-up, and I would also like to see Andy Najar get a cap to keep him interested in playing for the U.S. Chris Pontius deserves another look as he recently scored against AC Milan and dropped a hat trick on Seattle.

MF: Again Najar here who can play both MF and Striker. I doubt we will see any of the Euro guys here, including LD9 who will be back in Everton by then (and, if reports are true, who will be busy awaiting the arrival of his first child). Blair Gavin has looked good for Chivas as well as his fellow Zip Ben Zemanski.

DF: Fine here. Like to see Goodson and Gonzalez get the start to see what a tall backline looks like.

GK: Guzan will be England. It will probably be Rimando. If Porto let’s him go, it would be nice to see how good Samir Badr really is at this point.

Others to consider: Bobby Wood, Abdus Ibrahim, Jack McInerney, Bobby Convey (for veteran experience and MLS rep – also to see if he has one last run in him)

• Posted by dude on 2010/06/27 at 7:25 PM

Andy Najar does not have citizenship, he only has a green card. And I’m almost certain he wants to play for his native Honduras. But if I was to steal a player Rossi style, ‘twould be he.

• Posted by Bob on 2010/06/27 at 8:08 PM

But that can change right? The precedent was set by Diego Gutierrez who did not come here until age 17. I thought his situation was similar to Holden’s and Feilhaber’s in that they were born in other countries but emigrated to this country with their parents. Why play for Honduras and get knocked out of the first round when he can play for USA (when granted citizenship) and win his group? I know it may be wishful thinking but who knows….

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/07/31 at 10:24 PM

Holden lived in Houston since he was 10 though of course he had citizenship by then. I wish DeRosario had left sooner so Holden could breakout sooner. For anyone who didn’t know Holden’s spike in form didn’t just happen he had been that naturally talented since… 2006 when he was 20 but until DeRo left Houston he wasn’t given a chance.

17. Posted by chris on 2010/06/27 at 7:17 PM

Isn’t their some young kid that is coming up the ranks from West Ham? I could have sworn I read an article on him on yanks abroad a while back. Does anyone know his name?

• Posted by Bob on 2010/06/27 at 7:24 PM

Sebastian Lletget I think. He plays for their academy and holds an Italian passport. I think I read the same article where he says he would be open to playing for Italy if they called. I am not sure how he is doing for the academy team, but lacks real professional experience, imo, to be called up at this point.

• Posted by chris on 2010/06/27 at 8:41 PM

Cool thanks man. I was just wondering. Hopefully he doesn’t turn into the next Rossi.

• Posted by s44 on 2010/06/27 at 9:04 PM

Lletget is probably the best prospect from our last U-17 cycle — the one with the most upside, anyway — despite (I believe) playing a year up and not playing in the actual WC team. His Italian connection is via Argentina (father was a River Plate fan), so it’s not really a Rossi situation.

He seems to have the technical skills and vision, but you can never tell whether his head and body will mature to a similar level.

18. Posted by Larry on 2010/06/27 at 7:36 PM

No Michael Bradley?

Sean Franklin for fullback.

19. Posted by averyraimondo on 2010/06/27 at 9:05 PM

Why Ferrari, but no Adu? Freddy showed both positives and negatives while in Greece and I think icing him from the national team completely isn’t the way to bring about the best in him.

• The national team is not a charity. If Freddy has enough interest in football to succeed at his Greek club, then he can earn his way back, otherwise his USMNT ship has sailed.

• Posted by averyraimondo on 2010/06/28 at 11:39 AM

By that logic, Ferrari should be nowhere near the national team setup.

Freddy is 21. It’s too early to write him off.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/28 at 11:49 AM

Matthew from TSG.

I threw Ferrari in for fun.– perhaps a poor choice to put in there as the author.

That said, in my opinion, Adu has done nothing to merit national team consideration. He can’t maintain time on a club side. He’s highly inconsistent.

He represents hope that one was. Evaluated on merit, he does not belong in the national team picture at this point.

He’s not written off. He just doesn’t qualify for a look.

• Posted by averyraimondo on 2010/06/28 at 5:15 PM

Matthew,

Everything you said is valid. Maybe I’m just optimistic about Freddy. I forget why he fell out at his Greek club though. Was it attitude problems?

One other thought that may have been touched on: If this was China or Denmark, then I’d consider bringing a whole new unit, but this is Brazil. I think we performed well in SA and it’s important to build on the positives. If we completely turnover the roster and get hammered, it won’t reflect well on our World Cup. The match against Argentina a few years ago in the old Giants Stadium was a great showing for us and revealed to the world just a bit of what we are capable of.

(I’m not sure if I’m replying to your comment properly)

20. Posted by FulhamPete on 2010/06/28 at 3:04 AM

Why no AJ Delagarza? I think he’s got LOTS of upside considering our anorexic fullback depthchart.

21. Posted by Bob on 2010/06/28 at 4:15 AM

Oh, after last night’s performance, Chris Seitz at gk may be worth a look.

22. The first question to ask is whether this is a FIFA International Date. I’d imagine that would have a lot of bearing on the selection.

• I see that it is an international date but I think this is the summers 07 Copa America/09 Gold Cup situation. This is going to be a “futures” match where I imagine a lot of Brazil’s regulars won’t participate either.

I don’t see Lletget getting a cap quite so soon (first team minutes at your club are generally a requirement in my mind. However, I’d definitely think it’s worth dangling a full call-up in front of Michael Hoyos as an indication that we see him as a WC 2014 player. Who knows if he’d ever get a World Cup with Argentina.

• Posted by dude on 2010/06/28 at 7:12 AM

What of the fact that Lletget wants desperately to play for Italy, who are going to have to rebuild with young talent. If he starts doing Really well at West Ham, there’s a chance that Italy will start rebuilding with our most promising young playmaker as well as our most talented pure striker.

• Don’t know… A bit different in that his grandfather was Italian. And Giu Rossi has now provided a nice little object lesson in the perils of choosing to play for Italy. The fact is that Italy rarely select players who play outside Italy, and as a nation aren’t particularly keen on “foreign” integration.

Rossi has made himself a test case and while he has the talent, it’s hasn’t gone so well for him up til now. Have no doubt – Rossi is not seen as an “Italian” player.

• Posted by s44 on 2010/06/28 at 11:26 AM

“Lletget wants desperately to play for Italy”

There’s no actual evidence of this, just wild-eyed overreading of fairly innocuous comments he made a while back.

• Agree with the Michael Hoyos comment. Also whether Eric Lichaj gets first team minutes or not I think he should be starting along with Gonzalez, and possibly Gale Agbossoumonde.

The interesting thing here is that regardless of who Brazil brings they will have class in their attack and we could be possibly starting with a completely untested back four, that isn’t a winning combo. I think it might be wise to try to convince Watford that we really could use Jay Demerit for this one match. We need someone with experience back there, if USSF wants to put on a respectable showing.

I really feel like USSF has a lot riding on this game. Yes it should be a chance to bring in new blood but they also want to get a good result so that casual fans tune in more during the next cycle. This match will be critical to ESPN evaluating how much to cover games in the next few years. Now I do not think fan participation will regress but this match would help it progress.

On another note I do not see BB being fired before this match. No way no how for 1 main reason. If USSF wants to bring in a new coach (*cough Klinnsmann) they would not want to have his first match as coach possibly go down in flames. With new players coming in and things in limbo it wouldn’t be wise. Let a new coach come on after BB possibly loses a close match in this game, and give him time to set-up his lineup.

• If you read a little into BB’s comments I think it seems likely that he will bring as many of his WC starters as their club teams will allow and fill in the holes with new young players. It fits his m.o. too. He likes to gradually introduce and test players. Let’s hope he brings some young strikers too to back-up Jozy and CD9 (pending fitness).

• Just thought that I would add that i don’t expect Watford would easily let Demerit play but I wouldn’t put it past USSF/BB to pressure hard to get some of the starters to the match.

Also would there be a chance that Boca is riding the pine for Rennes again and his club might be a little more receptive to letting him play against Brazil?

• Am I wrong that DeMerit is out of contract at Watford and looking for a new club?

23. Here’s an overall question going forward:

Who do you see as Captain in the next 1-2 years and 4 years?

I would say that right now it seems likely Boca will be losing his spot to young players within the next year. Demerit will probably stick around for longer. So I would say when he is on the field Demerit should be captain, and otherwise there is always Donovan.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/28 at 9:29 AM

Great question and we’ll tease this apart into a post.

• Posted by s44 on 2010/06/28 at 11:27 AM

Bradley. But it can’t happen until Bob is gone.

• Posted by T-Muck on 2010/06/28 at 11:29 AM

Howard, maybe?

• I don’t see MB as a vocal player. He is a bit of an introverted guy which doesn’t fit the mold of captain. To a lesser extent this is also why Donovan didn’t work out the best for captain in addition to the fact that without the responsibility of the captain-ship Donovan can better focus on doing his thing which helps the team overall more.

Howard is our defacto (read major) captain, but there needs to be a player on the field (in the defense or center mid) that is captain. The role calls for someone who argues calmly with the refs and keeps the other players working together.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/14 at 12:47 PM

Zoff, Zubizarreta, Schmeichel, Kahn, Casillas were/are great captains that were GKs!

24. Posted by KickinNames... on 2010/06/28 at 9:37 AM

Isn’t there a Chris Rolfe /Bobby Convey/Sacha Klejstan filter for this site? Time to move forward lads.

• Posted by Joe on 2010/06/28 at 10:45 AM

Klejstian is down but not out… he has arguably shown more potential than most of the guys TSG had named, but is a few years older

Dont count out Sacha after his move to Belgium.. think he may turn some heads and he may be a key point to our 2014 WCQ

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/28 at 10:53 AM

Joe:

Now is Kljestan’s time to shine. I think it is a very positive move to play in a hard-nose league and leave “comfy” Southern California.

I’ve said the same thing ad nauseum about Kljestan for over a year now “He’s got all the skill in the world. He’s one of, if not the most “vertically creative” players on the States. He just needs to mature and put it altogether.”

With his age though, 25, the time is now.

If I’m Kljestan I’m likely getting ready for Anderlecht (TSG was the first to confirm the move) instead of playing in an international friendly — sort of what Chris Rolfe did.

25. Posted by stickywheelz on 2010/06/28 at 5:58 PM

Is anyone bummed at the price point on these tickets? 200 bucks for a decent seat? Guess I’ll be watching from home. :-(

26. Posted by Brian on 2010/07/14 at 10:44 AM

I really don’t care what people have to say about Freddy Adu, he is hands down the best weapon the USMNT has, PERIOD. No one else has his skill set, he has proven to be a great player when used properly, as an attacking weapon. Of course he’s made some mistakes, but who hasn’t? It also doesn’t help if Bradley stays as coach, because Bradley is a stubborn sh*t who doesn’t have any good tactics at all. it’s all long ball and chase. Bottom Line, we need a new coach, and Freddy Adu deserves a second chance becuz he’s been working his ass off in Greece.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/14 at 11:19 AM

Brian:

If Freddy Adu were the best weapon on the US, he wouldn’t keep getting loaned out to inferior leagues by his club teams.

It’s that simple.

27. Posted by Matt B. on 2010/07/20 at 12:09 PM

I would give Sebastien Le Toux a shot, I don’t think it’s too soon. At least give him a cap since he wants to play for the US, before he changes his mind

28. [...] our guess (after our “let’s look to the future guess“) of players representing the United States. All rumors and reports are suggesting a veteran [...]