Bob Bradley Tunes In On Dan Patrick

A pensive time....

Bob Bradley is getting his message out there now that Sunil Gulati has.

Coach Sweatpants stopped by the Dan Patrick show. What’s more impressive?

That Bradley said he’d be honored to continue as US Coach or that he used the word “gutted”

DP: How long did it take to get over the loss to Ghana?
BB: I’m still going through the process. When a team has put a lot into it and it ends quickly, I think it takes a little while.

DP: What was the locker room like after the loss? How long was it before you said something?
BB: I went around to each individual when they were sitting there and thanked everybody. We didn’t actually talk to the whole group until the next day.

DP: If I could give you a mulligan, what would you do differently with your lineup against Ghana?

DP: Do you think you were better than Ghana?
BB: I think we are, yes.

DP: Is there one aspect you have to improve if you’re going to remain head coach?
BB: When you look at all the games, we created a good number of chances. That’s always something you’re trying to do. But at the end of the day, I don’t think we took our chances as well as we needed. Particularly in the Ghana game, I think we gave up three chances, and they scored twice. We probably created five or six good chances, and our only goal came off a penalty kick.

Full transcript here.

1. Posted by John on 2010/06/29 at 3:24 PM

If the first point is true “I don’t think I’d change the lineup” then the second point “as much as I’d change the way we’ve started some games” means that the players let him down. If the players let him down then he would have either change the players or the system to fix the issue.

Doesn’t this illustrate the problem with Bob, that he still hasn’t figured out how to fix our sieve of a defense? I put the onus on the players and the coaches that we shipped the goals to get knocked out. The fact that we only gave up a few chances has less to do with fantastic defense and more to do with the fact that Ghana aren’t that great. The aberration in this tournament for the US was the Algeria game. The England and Slovenia game (giving up goals early, struggling to come back) were the norm.

The idea that a world class forward would help us out is papering over the cracks of our defense being the issue.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 3:30 PM

John — I agree with Bradley on the striker issue however I agree with you on–and I think you copied the key BB answer down here–the point of “I don’t think I’d change the line-up.”

That’s just plain stubborn and poor.

Oh Bob, you pulled your central midfielder at 30 minutes–using a valuable sub–after he’d basically shipped a goal himself, earned a yellow that could have been a red (something that he had a penchant for) and inserted the player that should have been in there all along.

Can you not be honest for once–TSG remembers all the comments on Onyewu being fit that you’ve backed off from–and admit that you’d made a poor change….or just don’t address the question.

• Posted by John on 2010/06/29 at 3:49 PM

Yeah, I mean of course we all WANT a world class striker. The problem is that this world cup, it has really been mostly about not giving UP goals. Here is the list of team sorted by LEAST amount of goals let in. The number next to them is the amount of goals let in.

1 Uruguay 1 – Round of 8
        2 Paraguay 1 – Round of 8
        3 Switzerland 1 – (only scored 1 goal)
        4 Portugal 1 – (Weird Team)
        5 Brazil 2 – Round of 8
        6 Germany 2 – Round of 8
        7 Spain 2 – Round of 8
        8 New Zealand 2 - (Only Scored 2)
        9 Algeria 2 – (Didn’t Score)
        10 Japan 2 – (lost on Penalties to get into Round of 8)
        11 Argentina 2 – Round of 8
        27 Mexico 5
        28 Denmark 6
        29 Australia 6
        30 Slovakia 7
        31 Korea Republic 8
        32 Korea DPR 12

We actually acquitted ourselves just fine scoring. We were tied for 8th with Spain and Slovakia. The problem is that we let in as many goals as we scored.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 3:52 PM

John: Soccer is a give and take game.

The reason that Argentina has only allowed two goals IS because their offense is so dominant. Dimichelis is a nightmare back there–no better than John Terry or Upson who looked terrible against Germany. In fact 1 of the 2 goals against Argentina is directly because of a Dimichelis giveaway.

A good offense is the best–or at least a huge component–to a good defense.

• Posted by John on 2010/06/29 at 3:57 PM

But of course…. We aren’t Argentina though, really no one is. I’m not even sure Argentina is a good as they seem right now.

I feel that along the way, we started to ignore the foundation of having a good defense because we were getting the results we needed.

Thus we end up going into the Ghana game feeling that the US should win, when in fact statistically we were probably going to give up an early goal and struggle to get back. That is a horrible strategy to rely upon.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 4:04 PM

Argentina may not be good as they are right now because they haven’t come up a team with good balance a strong defense to shut down Lionel Messi and company.

I went into the US – Ghana game feeling the US should win. Ghana played a better game, but the US controlled play, gained more chances and made one critical “you-never-do-that” mistake.

The US defense by game four–fixed by Bob Bradley to include a rejuvenated Bornstein–was the best it could be. I’m not sure precisely what Bob Bradley could have done beyond what he did to improve the defense.

The Ghanaiann first goal was a terrible MIDFIELD mistake and the second both first string best option players in central defense got owned by an up-and-coming striker who laced a fabulous shot. Can’t do anything about that from the sidelines.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/06/29 at 4:11 PM

Matt – A good offense isn’t necessarily the best defense though. The midfield is the spine of the team and if you look at teams like Spain they keep possession in their midfield and rarely play the long ball. If you keep possession you don’t need to score as many goals but your chances will surely come. This is why I’ve been fans of players like Torres Holden and Feilhaber since qualifying. This is also why I hated bradley during qualifying – even though he proved me wrong during the world cup.

• Posted by John on 2010/06/29 at 4:11 PM

Hmm, I certainly don’t intend to sound as though I want to solely heap blame upon Bradley. There just happens to be quite a bit of talk about our lack of scoring, when it seems to me that yes it would be nice to have Messi or Higuain but at this point I would rather have an up an coming Maicon.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 4:12 PM

Agreed — I’m not saying that a good offense is the best defense, but it certainly helps in keep pressure off the defense.

• Posted by John on 2010/06/29 at 4:16 PM

BTW: If we toy with the idea that we don’t burn a sub at 30 minutes into the game… AND we don’t have Robbie Findley out there…. AND this gives us the ability to have three fresh subs at the midfield and forward positions in the second half…..

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 4:22 PM

See I think the Clark situation is different.

Check out this quote sheet from the USA 2 – HON 1 in June of 2009 that I alluded to in my game review.

It’s either upsetting or ironic:

• Posted by John on 2010/06/29 at 4:30 PM

Pretty much upsetting. You could take that quote sheet, remove the names and then apply it to every single world cup game except for Algeria.

• Posted by John on 2010/06/29 at 4:38 PM

Incidentally this is a more telling quote. From the USSoccer.com interview

On trying to pin down the reasons for consistently falling behind in games:
          “The best answer that I can give is that there are two sides to it. The one side is just the maturity and experience of knowing sometimes, early in the game, how to manage the game. Oftentimes you don’t win the game right away, but as we’ve seen you can put yourself in a very difficult spot. That can be in any number of ways. One of the decisions you make early in the game are just choices when you have the ball. Do you play the ball forward and move up as a team and know that over time, the game will allow more of a rhythm for passing? Do you start to try to connect some passes? There’s no one answer to that, but each situation requires a decision. So that experience and that maturity would come into play. The second part is that’s just how the game works sometimes. I talk about maturity and experience, but please, it would be important to know that I can watch games of the best teams in the world and see the same decisions. I can see the same things happen, whether it’s Barcelona, Manchester United, Brazil, Spain—this is a function of the game. When someone makes a good play, when someone makes the play to slow the rhythm down and connect a few passes and then speed it up, it can be a great thing. In other moments, if there’s a turnover, it can be a bad thing. If there’s a turnover and it doesn’t end up in the net, it’s probably not a question at the end of the game. So there’s a part of it that says that’s how the game works.”

• Posted by Jake on 2010/06/29 at 9:10 PM

I’m pretty sure the “mulligan” answer is a reflection of him not wanting to publicly throw Clark under the bus, not him thinking he went with the right lineup (If he still thought the lineup was right, he wouldn’t have pulled Clark 30 minutes in). You can certainly argue with his selection, but you can’t really use this answer as proof that he doesn’t get it.

• Posted by Soccernst on 2010/06/29 at 10:44 PM

Jake: exactly. This answer reflects his class, and has nothing to do with Bob being “stubborn or poor.” When he subbed Clark, he made a point to get right in his face and encourage him. This is a part of why I really like Bradley, AND why his players do too.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 10:54 PM

I think you guys, respetfully, are looking at this wrong. What’s said in the media and said in the locker room are two wholly different things. Championing Bradley to be “classy” or putting forth the idea that Bradley is “noble” is ill-founded and TSG is hardly ever critical in a negative way.

Bradley’s answers are being broadcast to tens or hundreds of thousands. It is poor–to the fans, not the media–to not acknowledge an error. Bradley himself acknowledged an error by subbing Clark in the game.

Like I said I’ve been to a few of Bradley’s press conferences. I appreciate that he’s a straight shooter in those press conferences. One of his best qualities is being non-personal when describing players who make errors–it’s really a gift that Bradley has.

One thing (Bradley’s qualities with his players and actions w/Clark after the sub) and this comment have nothing to do with each other, in my opinion.

• Posted by Jared on 2010/06/30 at 6:38 AM

I agree that he shouldn’t throw Clark under the bus but I think you can admit that you got the tactics wrong without throwing him under the bus. If he mentions that perhaps it would have been better to start with a 4-5-1 to allow the midfield to build slowly or to mention that you felt the defense needed additional protection then I think it’s not throwing anyone under the bus. I think getting yanked 30 minutes in with the entire world watching is far worse than any comments made on the DP show.

To not mention anything needs to change in terms of the lineup is just ridiculous. The whole world saw that you got it wrong and not just with Clark (Findley). He proved that he got it completely wrong when he’d burned two subs before the second half even started to switch to a 4-5-1/4-3-3.

• Posted by KMac on 2010/06/29 at 11:03 PM

I get the sense that Bob is more protecting his players by not slagging them to those on the “outside” rather than “not getting it”. What does he gain as a coach by essentially throwing Rico under the bus in the mainstream media? I think that is one reason why players are behind him and in many cases play as a team in contrast to England and France with the Coaches like Capello or Domenech.

If we were on “the inside”, we might hear some different words than the public relations media answers. Just another perspective, I could be wrong.

• Posted by KMac on 2010/06/29 at 11:09 PM

Sorry I repeated what others already pointed out. I should have read ahead before responding.

2. Posted by jonk on 2010/06/29 at 3:44 PM

I think the most impressive thing is that SI runs with the headline “Bradley wants to stay…” when he answered very vaguely and diplomatically.

And do you guys seriously expect Bradley to say he regrets starting a particular player? Maybe when he writes his autobiography someday, but certainly not while he’s still their coach. I wish he’d be honest, but really why does it matter? He’s got a long history of keeping his real feelings about these things within the inner circle and as much as we feel we’re entitled to pick his brain, the USSF are the only ones he has to answer to candidly.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 3:48 PM

Agree with your first point, but not your second.

The reality is *don’t answer the question then. Do I expect Bradley to express regret on the line-up? I don’t know. Does he ruin his credibility more if he suggests that he wouldn’t change the line-up after Clark was challenged against England, made a critical mistake against Ghana and earned yellow? He actually looks kind of foolish by suggesting wouldn’t change his line-up in the fans’ eyes in my opinion.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 3:53 PM

Terrible and incorrect headline by SI — completely agree — not accurate, sensational and poorly timed.

3. Posted by Kevin on 2010/06/29 at 4:19 PM

Let’s play a game and try to predict the next coach… Sir alex anyone? No, that wouldn’t happen.

Honestly though the player pool I see in midfield will be too offensive for Bradley. Bradley likes a defensive midfield and I don’t see it working out. I’m not sure I would mention kinnear as he’s been mentioned here and there as a possible future coach but I don’t think so. Kinnear would be prone to playing someone like findley. But his diamond midfield might suit us best. I don’t think so. Well what about kliinsman? (spelling?) I’m just throwing names out there right now because it remains to be seen if Bradley gets fired.

4. Posted by Mike on 2010/06/29 at 4:40 PM

I just checked out a highlight reel of Edson Buddle. First off, the guy had two goals in the Australia tune up game and secondly, he still is leading the MLS in goals. Now I know what you are going to say. Its Australia and the MLS, both second class organizations. However, where did most of his goals come from? Mr. Landon Donovan. The chemistry was already there yet it could not be enhanced at the WC because Bradley never put Buddle in. Unfortunately, it probably will be Buddle’s first and last World Cup and we will never know what could have been.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 4:43 PM

Completely agreed.

Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez were THE ONLY strikers who came in putting the ball in the net. Both netted in the lead-up games.

Yet the coach played only one really even though in the Algeria game Buddle generated two chances. I’ll never forget the image of Buddle contorting himself in the box to reach and connect a header in the box in front of both an Algerian defender and Jozy Altidore who were positioned for it.

• Posted by Brad on 2010/06/29 at 5:05 PM

“I’ll never forget the image of Buddle contorting himself in the box to reach and connect a header in the box in front of both an Algerian defender and JOZY ALTIDORE who were positioned for it.”

Memorable maybe, but that’s not a good play because of what’s in all-caps.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/29 at 5:15 PM

Jozy scored in the Turkey match…

• Posted by LarryMontanez on 2010/06/30 at 12:58 PM

i was worried after seeing Jozy leaning back while supposedly “going for” a ball in the box when a defender/keeper was bearing down on it too. you see that a lot at the youth level, from kids who are afraid of contact, but you really don’t want to see that from someone who’s supposed to be one of the US’s best strikers. Unfortunately, Jozy did the same thing in the Ghana game. neither of those opportunities may have led to goals, but it shows that he’s ‘thinking’ at the moment of truth, rather than focused on scoring. just like against algeria, when he wound up to wail on the ball from only 6 yards out and hit it over the bar, a true striker would have just toe poked that ball into the net (you know dempsey would have). Jozy can’t be happy with being positioned to score, he has to go snatch the score from a defender’s grasp. in that instance, buddle wasn’t thinking he’d let the person best positioned, he went for it.

5. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/29 at 5:14 PM

I think most of us would agree that Bob actually would change the lineup, but IMO for the interviews and Ricardo Clark’s sake, he said he wouldnt. I think that was a good move by him as you never want to put your own player on the spot like that, especially if you actually like playing him(which sucks in itself). Besides, he put him on the spot in the postmatch anyway, best not to do it twice.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 5:19 PM

Then don’t say anything. Period.

• Posted by Brad on 2010/06/29 at 9:03 PM

I think all this jumping on him is getting out of hand. He was asked a question on a sports show – he just said the best thing for everyone’s (that matters) aggregate feelings, thinking quickly to a question he had just been posed. This is silly as hell.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 9:16 PM

I don’t think anyone is jumping on him and I think the review is more than fair.

Remember this is a coach that likes to be curt with the media and he goes on a national radio program.

So review of comments is certainly fine and probably warranted.

Bob Bradley, and I know from sitting through his press conferences, is very deliberate. And frankly, this is also a manager…and it’s not wrong or unique to him….that wasn’t forthright …and fairly…about Oguchi Onyewu.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/29 at 5:27 PM

Idk. I’m fine with him saying that because(I think) I’ve picked up on his train of thought. Bob’s not stupid. Maybe a little stubborn, but again, he sees the writing on the wall. If he gets another oppurtunity to be with US for the long haul, I see Ricardo getting plenty of timeout time, or rather, Edu getting most of the starting time behind his on.

And is there any news on Jermaine Jones? you might have to update that post you did on him a while back to get the hype flowing again..

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 5:28 PM

I just checked in on Jones — no new news I am privy too. I have a note in to his club.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/29 at 5:32 PM

would LOVE to see him against Brasil, or get a call up at least

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/06/29 at 5:36 PM

Sadly Antonio with Michael Bradley and Maurice Edu in the middle – Jones will be 32 at the next World Cup….may not ever happen.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/06/29 at 5:53 PM

Yea and he won’t even get a shot at backup because that spot goes to Duka ;)

A guy can dream can’t he?

6. Posted by Todd (not Boeckmann) on 2010/06/29 at 6:49 PM

“BB: I don’t think I’d change the lineup as much as I’d change the way we’ve started some games. We just put ourselves in the hole too many times. Ultimately, we kept fighting back, but when we did it again to start the overtime, it just seemed to be too much.”

I can’t even begin to tell you how many obscenities popped into my head when I read that. Do us all a favor Bob and GTFOH. Its taking me longer to get over Ghana than it did to get over the Gators in the 2006-7 BCS championship game.

• Posted by BW on 2010/06/29 at 10:26 PM

I dunno man – I think Bob is simply going into ‘dad mode’ a bit here and protecting Clark. The embrace and words upon coming off the pitch make it pretty obvious to me. Everyone knows (including the guy asking the question) that the answer is YES…but he’s not going to through the kid under the bus. Clark owned up to his mistake in the press, and I’m sure feels horrible, so there is no reason for Bradley to kick him while he’s down.