Quarterfinals – Brazil versus Holland

Not only is he wearing his shirt on backwards but he looks like one of those "girls" men buy. Thanks Kickette!

PEEEEP PEEEP PEEP. Well that’s quite an upset. How many pools are ruined? Brazil’s cockiness were their undoing as the Dutch put in a workmanlike effort mixed in with some great skill and are deserved semi-finalists. Sneijder will challenge Messi as the best player in the world. Maicon who?

3 minutes of extra time

89:00 - Dani Alves calls upon all of creation to supplement him with power but his free kick hits the wall.

88:00 – Kuyt showing that he does possess fine ball skills as he waltzes through the Brazilian defense. A slight hesitation is his undoing as he is finally tackled at the edge of the box.

85:00 – RVP off Huntelaar on

84:00 - A lovely bit of passing and skill from RVP and Sneijder almost makes it 3-1 but Julio Cesar does well to save.

82:00 - Corners from Brazil are giving them opportunities. Some go agonizingly wide.

80:00 - Jubalani 3 – RVP 0

77:00 – Nilmar on, Fabiano off. This is shaping up to be an exciting 13 minutes… SECOND BLOODY MARY DOWN AND DUSTED

76:00 - AWESOME. Ref accidentally pulled out the wrong card but caught himself and apologized. Yellow card to a dutch defender. Should have eaten proper food today.

73:00 – Things getting worse for the Brazilians as Felipo Melo gets red carded for a stamp on Robben. That was born out of frustration.

68:00 – GOOOOOOOOAALLLLLLL – SNEIJDER with a header of a corner. Kuyt with flick on header to a completely unmarked Sneijder who steers home. Brazil 1 – Holland 2

66:00 – Dutch looking more dangerous. People around me looking more attractive!

60:00 – ESPN just flash that it was an own goal. REALLY? the ball was going in the direction of the goal; if it hits a defender it is still a goal. An own goal is when the ball was not going to go in, but the opponent touches it and it goes in…that was Sneijders goal.

59:00 - Kaka has not mastered the Jubalani as his cross balloons over the intended striker.

53:00 – GOOOOOAAAALLLL. A cross/shot from Sneijder comes of Juan’s head and settles in the back of the net. Not an own goal. A little calamity from the Brazilian defense brings life back into this game. Holland 1 -  Brazil 1

46:00 - Once again Robben demonstrates that he prefers his left peg as his shot rebounds of a Brazilian defender

TWEEEEEET game back on and Brazil kick it off

PEEEEEP – halftime

45:00 – Chants of “Get a right foot” across the bar as Robben is wide open with a chance to shoot but puts on his left and 3 Brazilian defenders are there to block it.

40:00 – Gap in commentary as I order another round of breakfast

32:00 - Brazil firing on all cylinders and reaching top gear. Bastos just passes with a the type of ball skill that no other Left back can do. A sort of C walk skip tap. Bloody Mary number 1 DONE!

31:00 – Stekelenburg makes a fine save from a Kaka curling shot.

25:00 – Juan gets a chance to one time it from 8 yards out but he boots like all good defenders do!

20:00 – Van Persie tries some trickery but Juan is having none of it and stops him emphatically.

16:00 - Silva makes a poor challenge on Robben about 30 yards from goal and the Dutch get a free kick. Jubalani 1 – RVP 0

11:00  – The Dutch answer right back as Kuyt forces a save from Cesar but the resulting  corner comes to nothing.

10:00 – GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALL – Robinho latches onto possibly the pass of the tournament from Felipo Melo, who threads the defense with a splitting ball from his own half, as Robinho makes an incredible run, latches onto it and sends it past Stekelenburg. Brazil 1 – Holland 0

8:00 – Brazil put the ball in the back of the net with some slick passing but Dani Alves was correctly ruled

6:00 – Brazil at their passing best as they plinko the ball from their half into the Dutch box, but the Oranje defend well.

3:00 – Good super slow mo of an angry Robinho.

1:00 - Kuyt sends in a speculative ball and Van Persie is shoved in the back but it’s too early for a penalty!

Bright and early.

TWEEEEEET and the Dutch kick it of.

—————————————————

National anti-discrimination day in South Africa? or is it Fifa thing. Either way, a nice sentiment.

—————————————————

The bar seems to have mainly manic Dutch fans and one Brazilian in the corner.

—————————————————

Sipping on the BM. Steve mad an extra strong one for me today…the dear!

—————————————————

Brazil: Julio Cesar, Maicon, Lucio, Juan, Michel Bastos, Dani Alves, Felipe Melo, Silva, Kaka, Robinho, Luis Fabiano.
Subs: Gomes, Luisao, Thiago Silva, Gilberto, Josue, Julio Baptista, Kleberson, Nilmar, Grafite, Doni.

Holland: Stekelenburg, Van Der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Van Bronckhorst, Van Bommel, De Jong, Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt, van Persie.
Subs: Vorm, Boulahrouz, Ooijer, De Zeeuw, Braafheid, Elia, Schaars, Babel, Afellay, Huntelaar, Van der Vaart, Boschker.

Welcome to the first quarter final and what a match. This could very easily be a final. Brazil will be reaching their peak and the Dutch have had an easy run of it though haven’t been impressive…yet!

1. Is 30 minutes in the office enough to start the day? I think so. Just about to head out to watch the match but seriously… Totally unprepared for that profile pic – i had to avert my eyes to avoid going blind!

I am going against all my predictions and I would like someone to stop Brazil on their march to the World Cup trophy! Might as well be the Dutch.

2. Posted by matthew on 2010/07/02 at 7:19 AM

Wow. What a start! I’ve heitinga makes 50 mistakes like that at Everton exposing Howard.

Bastos with a card already having difficulty with Robben. Your game Arjen.

3. Posted by matthew on 2010/07/02 at 7:25 AM

I like Dutch tactic of defending in numbers above the halfline. Need to keep that up. If I’m Mark Hughes right now I’m sending a hitman for Robinho after this one.

4. Posted by matthew on 2010/07/02 at 7:30 AM

Brazil are going to work with body shots against the Dutch left rear flank. Might be that long day for Gio that we predicted.

5. Posted by matthew on 2010/07/02 at 7:32 AM

Who would think Stecklenberg with save of the tourney. Wow!

6. Do cards carry all the way through to the semis now? That seems ridiculous if so.

And I’m pulling for the Dutch in this one too, I actually went to the ’94 Netherlands v Brazil match in Dallas with a good friend of mine who was born in Holland and it was AMAZING…but they lost. Redeem yourselves guys!

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/07/02 at 7:46 AM

they get wiped out after quarters so yes they do, but it does ensure that no one misses a final through cards. Look for a piece soon on what FIFA can do to make this better!

7. Posted by John on 2010/07/02 at 8:19 AM

Really hard for me to have any rooting interest in the Dutch with De Jong on the field. Even with my man love of Kuyt. (or as Ally McCoist said on FIFA… KWEEEET)

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/02 at 8:20 AM

He’s balanced by the industry and teamwork of Dirk Kuyt who can play on my team any day of the week.

• Posted by John on 2010/07/02 at 8:24 AM

Well Kuyt plays on my team most every day of the week.

Oh Yeah. Hicks and Gillett out.

Now back to the commentary.

With Christiano Ronaldo out…. who throws their arms up in protest and sulks on the field more… Robinho? Robben? or Suarez?

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/07/02 at 8:23 AM

Trust me, as much as De Jong is an old school hardman with a sprinkle of dirty, you would want him on your team…3/4 of the goals scored on the US would not have happened if De Jong was American. He’s a player one loves to hate.

8. Posted by s44 on 2010/07/02 at 8:29 AM

That was a stunning, stunning goal off the corner.

9. Posted by s44 on 2010/07/02 at 8:32 AM

And the Brazilians reacting like Mexicans. :o

10. Brazil is a beautiful, brilliant team when they’re winning and an ugly, ugly team when they’re losing.

11. Posted by kaya on 2010/07/02 at 9:23 AM

Well, the Brazilians certainly let themselves get psyched out of the game. I didn’t think the Dutch had anything to do on the same field as the Brazilians in the first half.
    I didn’t like this ref in the Uruguay vs France game and I didn’t like him today. While he didn’t disallow any perfectly valid goals, he falls for play acting far too easily. The Oranje spent an awful lot of time acting for fouls and then fouled quite dirtily themselves… Kaka was “tactically” fouled out of the game because he was looking dangerous every time he touched the ball in the first half. I could kind of understand Melo’s frustration with all the acting, but not the fact he and his teammates all seemed so unprepared for this tactic.
    Kuyt is pretty alright… I’ll give the Dutch that. And their fans are, too.

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/07/02 at 11:32 AM

I don’t think you can blame a ref for playacting. Sometimes it’s obvious but a lot of the time it isn’t. A lot of those fouls were real and he doesn’t have the benefit of any replay. I though he was excellent. I love Brazil but they are sore losers and always have been. Late in games when things are tough for them, they act out. Cfig said it perfectly

12. Posted by pino on 2010/07/02 at 9:35 AM

and the confed cup curse continues…

13. Of course, after one of Shaun’s bloody mary’s and two pints of sierra nevada I get back to the office and have two press calls that I have to answer. Shit.

14. Posted by s44 on 2010/07/02 at 10:23 AM

It didn’t matter in the end, but Lucio’s handball in the box was pretty obvious.

15. Posted by Sein Fein on 2010/07/02 at 10:47 AM

Thought Kuyt was the player of the game. He controlled Maicon well. Other than when Maicon was taking free kicks, I can’t think of any time that he threatened the Dutch. For that matter, I don’t think Alves threatened either, although I am not sure I should credit Kuyt there. Anyway, Kuyt isn’t the most attractive player in all senses, but he does do his job well.

Wonder if anyone else thought the Brazilians should have tried to play for a little more possession in the Dutch third. I know Dunga hasn’t organized them that way, but I thought it might have helped break the Dutch down.

16. Posted by Kevin on 2010/07/02 at 7:56 PM

My bracket certainly isnt ruined I so far have both Uruguay and Netherlands right Go DUTCH!!