Your MLS Stars To Battle The Devil

MLS announced its first 11 selections last week for the July 28th showdown against Manchester United Red Devils at Reliant Stadium.

David Ferreira, busting out for Dallas this year...Now the full squad has been distinguished.

To add to the starters below are the following–and the Commissioner pick of Brian Ching leaked on Sunday are:

Reserves:

GK: Nick Rimando

DEF: Jonathan Bornstein, Kevin Alston, Heath Pearce, Wilman Conde

MID: Shalrie Joseph, Jeff Larentowicz, Sebastien Le Toux, David Ferreira, Brad Davis

FW/STR: Juan Pablo Angel, Jamie Moreno*, Brian Ching*

* Commish’s picks.

Last week’s eleven:

GK: Donovan Ricketts (Los Angeles Galaxy)

Defenders: Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles Galaxy), Jamison Olave (Real Salt Lake)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Marco Pappa (Chicago Fire), Javier Morales (Real Salt Lake), Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto FC), Guillermo Barros Schelotto(Columbus Crew)

Forwards: Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy)

1. Posted by Sam on 2010/07/19 at 10:44 AM

First time commenting. Thought I’d let you know that I absolutely love this site. Great stuff on the National Team during the World Cup. The tactical analysis you guys bring to the table is fantastic.

On another note, if I understand the All-Star game rules correctly (and I might not) being a First XI selection does not guarantee a place in the starting lineup. I believe Arena can start any of the 23 players on the roster. Apologies if I’m wrong…

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/07/19 at 4:38 PM

Sam you’re right don’t worry… Matt’s got the date wrong as well.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/19 at 4:47 PM

Ah…my comment didn’t hold — sorry–having cache-ing and revision problems today.

You’re right on the starters — I thought that corrected. Corrected date…apparently in a different revision.

2. Posted by Matthew on 2010/07/19 at 1:43 PM

Saborio and Gaven stand out as snubs

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/19 at 1:53 PM

Gaven to me never seems like enough of a difference maker.

As anyone who reads this site knows, I’m not a Bobby Convey fan, but he is at least a reserve this year. I wrote in our preview piece that he would likely not make it if Brad Davis did.

Sean Franklin is–of course–a snub in my book. In my opinion, he is clearly better on the year than either Heath Pearce or Kevin Alston.

The Galaxy even had him at midfield against D.C. United showcasing his offensive skill.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/07/19 at 4:49 PM

Saborio maybe… I don’t think many people know who he is, which is a shame, but Gaven still doesn’t deserve it.

Matt – I don’t think Franklin is a snub, but he’s surely better than Olave. In my personal opinion, the league could use some more depth at the fullback positions. As for the Davis/Convey note, I really don’t think Davis is as good as everyone hypes him. It shows how big a difference the media makes because if you watched as much Dynamo soccer as I do, you would know he hasn’t had the same all-star season as he did last year.

3. Posted by penpen on 2010/07/19 at 2:51 PM

that would be Jaime Moreno, not Javier, no? google tells me Javier is a Spanish socialist politician or something.