Tuesday 2nd Cup of Joe Hitters

Apologies in advance here…a lot of “we told you so” in these bullets.

Won’t happen again. Scout’s honor.

Go:

Gerrard, excited to be at Liverpool again?

• Steven Gerrard reassured Liverpool fans with comments made in the wake of the Joe Cole signing, saying he was excited by the opportunity to play next to Cole and was impressed with new boss Roy Hodgson’s plans for the future.

For my two cents, I think now is the time to transfer Steven Gerrard…if he wasn’t the soul of the team.

I know I’m in the minority, but I’ve long been a demoter of Steven Gerrard and for Liverpool to build with a new manager around him….well I think that would be a mistake.

Get top dollar for the limited Gerrard now.

• Well we told you Eric Lichaj is a prospect on both rear flanks.

Lichaj started for Villa in a friendly Sunday against League One side Petersborough. Villa came away with a 3-2 win.

Beyond heading in the game-winner, Lichaj went 90+ at left back for the Villains.

TSG will say it for the first time now. Lichaj will start over 10 games for Villa this year across multiple competitions.

…and we’ll say it again for the umpteenth time: Lichaj should have gotten more than a cup of coffee from Bob Bradley during the 2010 qualifying cycle.

Oh and one more note on the friendly: Villa went with a starting defense of: Friedel (G) and Lichaj, Richard Dunne, James Collins, Habib Beye…that’s pretty darn close to first string there.

• More Aston Villa…

McCready's star is already in the making...

If you are an ardent TSG fan and memorize all of our columns….well then you would be the first to memorize any column….but also…

…you would also know about our fondness of Irish national Aiden McGeady who we first mentioned back in September 2009.

McGeady who now appears to be the apple of Martin O’Neill’s eye. Rumor has Villa making a play for the current Celtic star.

McGeady is going to be a household name when he makes his next jump….he’s kind of like, generously, one-third Florent Malouda, one-third Franck Ribery, one-third Clint Demspey. He’s got moves, can cross it, but he can also take it to the hole with a defender on his hip.

Had Ireland trumped France for a World Cup spot this year, McGeady would have been on our  “one of the players to watch” list.

Note, since McGeady is rumored for a move, he is not currently traveling the States with Celtic.

• Staying in the SPL….Maurice Edu, you keep to yourself! Trouble child, and former Aston Villa striker, Marlon Harewood is rumored headed to Ibrox to join the Rangers.

• The jury–and AGF Aarhus management–is out on Benny Feilhaber’s next club. I’d bet on a Ligue One side (maybe even Sochaux) as there is a history or Danish players being sent to France’s top league.

• TSG was the first to write about Jozy Altidore’s potential move to Beşiktaş early Saturday morning. No news there yet.

Martin Jol

A true "Jol"-azo for Fulham...

And we still remain firm on not expecting an Altidore move to Ajax until Martin Jol’s situation is cleared up.

Current word is that Ajax is trying to convince Jol to stay. Doesn’t appear likely. Jol has won everywhere he has went and he has stated previously that we wants to reach the upper pinnacle of coaching gigs.

He won’t be able to do that in the Dutch league, he’s going to need to go back and get Premiership exposure.

• Who is Gal Alberman? The Israeli national is a midfield candidate at none other than Borussia Monchengladbach. Alberman signed for Bo’Munchen back in 2008 on a 4-year deal, but has played all of 16 games due to an assortment of maladies.

Alberman is back in training. Rumors persist that if Alberman is able to play it makes a potential Michael Bradley transfer more tolerable….or Alberman might be transferred himself.

So don’t just watch the wires for Bradley’s name…watch them for Alberman’s as well. Alberman is rumored headed to F.C. Maccabi Tel-Aviv in his native Israel.

• TSG was the first tell you former Everton reserves Anton Peterlin and Cody Arnoux were trialing at Plymouth Argyle.

It looks like Peterlin is going to stick after having impressed coach Peter Reid.

I’d also like to comment that Peterlin is a veteran of the San Francisco Seals who are back after five years and playing in the PDL. I’ve played against the Seals…it wasn’t pretty.

Read the report here.

For Cody Arnoux’s point, he needs some development and he’s going to need to latch on somewhere quickly here this summer. With Argyle seeming ready to take a pass and Motherwell not making an offer yet, Arnoux’s best shot might be back in MLS for a year or so.

• Brazilian side Santos have rejected a Chelsea offer for “sure-to-be-2014-star” Neymar. Looks like Chelsea might go shopping in Argentina against and get back on the Aguero wait list.

1. Posted by robbie on 2010/07/20 at 11:01 AM

Great updates! I love these summaries.

What are the odds of Suarez staying with Ajax for a year? For Jozy to play alongside him that would be awesome for his development. Jozy has already laid the groundwork supporting Suarez’ handball (rightfully so).

One player I’d love to see move (but hasn’t been mentioned) is Jose Torres. I think he’s a perfect fit in La Liga and would open some eyes there. He’s a better player than TSG’s boy Benny.

I guess that Moccabi club might sign Zahavi soon as well? Who the hell are they? This is like the 4th time I’ve heard that club this week. 4 more times then the rest of my life.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/20 at 11:29 AM

I have to think Suarez gets sold.

His value is very high…as is his marketability (despite the handball) with the Uruguayan team’s WC performance. He was also Dutch Footballer of the Year this year.

You have two windows to sell Suarez–this year and next with his contract expiring in 2012. I think this is the year to sell him. He can’t really do more to impress than what he did this year.

As for Torres–I really think he could use another year or so of seasoning. If he does get sold to La Liga (and that’s a big if), he would likely be loaned out for year. I would rather–imo–try to play 90+ each game and dominate the Primera than move at this point.

I’ll have to get back on Zahavi–I don’t know the situation there and need to educate myself.

• Posted by Ryan R. on 2010/07/20 at 2:11 PM

A friend in Israel says that all the talk there is that Maccabi Haifa has been impressed by him on his trial and is on the verge of signing him. The Israeli league has been a stepping stone for some solid African players so it wouldn’t be a bad move, in my opinion. I do question his quality though and whether he has real potential or if he’s riding the reputation of having played in high profile youth systems.

• Posted by robbie on 2010/07/21 at 7:08 AM

Thanks for the info. Zahavi’s uncle or something is apparently some sort of super agent. Let’s hope it is not all hype.

• Posted by robbie on 2010/07/21 at 7:07 AM

Yeah…I agree on Suarez. But he could be one of the bargaining chips to try and get Jol to stay?

With Torres, I’d have no problem with him sitting a year to learn the ropes in La Liga. We are 4 years away from the next WC…if there was a time to sit it is now.

2. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/20 at 11:40 AM

I am absolutely surprised that Tim Howard is still at Everton. I honestly thought a bigger club would have gone after him. At 31 he has fantastic experience, and still has many great years ahead of him.

• Posted by robbie on 2010/07/20 at 11:59 AM

Howard was the American let-down of the tournament, IMO. It’s like he can’t play well unless he’s getting peppered with balls every three minutes.

With the GK needs around the world and Howard having a positive spin around him, I’m surprised he’s not gone as well. That Mucha guy from Slovakia that Everton signed looked really good this summer, probably better than Tim did.

• Posted by Rhodie on 2010/07/20 at 7:24 PM

To be honest I thought that Howard looked great for the Yanks, until he broke his ribs. Every goal that he gave up afterward, the ones that you could blame him for anyway, he looked bad because he avoided falling on his right side. I think that Howard looked quite good at the beginning of the England match, and still held a constantly changing back line together quite well. He also demonstrated his great distribution by starting counterattacks.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/21 at 6:37 AM

I conceded at the time that perhaps Howard’s positioning could have been a little better, but I still think calling him “the American let-down of the tournament” very very harsh. Of the 5 goals he conceded, there was definitely a comedy of defensive errors on the build up of at least 4. Howard is a class goalkeeper, but he isn’t Superman. You cannot make those sorts of mistakes at this level and expect heroics from him in every game.

• Posted by robbie on 2010/07/21 at 7:14 AM

There may have been a comedy of errors to give up the goals but Howard was supposed to be our “rock.” He was supposed to cover up many deficiencies with our team.

Sure Rico lost the ball in a dangerous spot but Tim got beat NEAR post on a fairly tame shot. In the knockout stages your goalie has to stop that shot.

I have high expectations for him and he didn’t live up to them. Everyone else seems to have the same expections but covers for him when he’s just average.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/21 at 7:36 AM

I conceded above that his positioning could have been better, but that 1st Ghana goal, you’re making it sound like it was an acute angle he got beat on. The guy ran down the middle and checked to his left and shot from a yard or two from the left of the D. You’re right, Howard probably should have done better on that one, regardless of it being a knockout game. But I still think calling him a “let down” is harsh – especially when you think of *all* the chances the US had in that game – and did not take.

3. To dampen Lichaj-enthusiasm just a bit, he played half of the game at LB. The other half was at RB. Still, a very exciting development.

4. Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2010/07/20 at 12:23 PM

Anyone see this?

Is that the first domino for Bradley and Altidore?

5. Posted by Jon C on 2010/07/20 at 12:47 PM

Greg Seltzer was reporting that Benny was in talks with a team in La Liga, of all places. At the least I think it would suit his playing style

6. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/07/20 at 5:59 PM

Wow Ashley Young in The Hole just wreaks of Death to opposing defenses.

If I’m not mistaken Macabi Haifa is the most famous and celebrated football club in Israel’s history.