Apologies in advance here…a lot of “we told you so” in these bullets.
Won’t happen again. Scout’s honor.
• Steven Gerrard reassured Liverpool fans with comments made in the wake of the Joe Cole signing, saying he was excited by the opportunity to play next to Cole and was impressed with new boss Roy Hodgson’s plans for the future.
For my two cents, I think now is the time to transfer Steven Gerrard…if he wasn’t the soul of the team.
I know I’m in the minority, but I’ve long been a demoter of Steven Gerrard and for Liverpool to build with a new manager around him….well I think that would be a mistake.
Get top dollar for the limited Gerrard now.
• Well we told you Eric Lichaj is a prospect on both rear flanks.
Lichaj started for Villa in a friendly Sunday against League One side Petersborough. Villa came away with a 3-2 win.
Beyond heading in the game-winner, Lichaj went 90+ at left back for the Villains.
TSG will say it for the first time now. Lichaj will start over 10 games for Villa this year across multiple competitions.
…and we’ll say it again for the umpteenth time: Lichaj should have gotten more than a cup of coffee from Bob Bradley during the 2010 qualifying cycle.
Oh and one more note on the friendly: Villa went with a starting defense of: Friedel (G) and Lichaj, Richard Dunne, James Collins, Habib Beye…that’s pretty darn close to first string there.
• More Aston Villa…
If you are an ardent TSG fan and memorize all of our columns….well then you would be the first to memorize any column….but also…
…you would also know about our fondness of Irish national Aiden McGeady who we first mentioned back in September 2009.
McGeady who now appears to be the apple of Martin O’Neill’s eye. Rumor has Villa making a play for the current Celtic star.
McGeady is going to be a household name when he makes his next jump….he’s kind of like, generously, one-third Florent Malouda, one-third Franck Ribery, one-third Clint Demspey. He’s got moves, can cross it, but he can also take it to the hole with a defender on his hip.
Had Ireland trumped France for a World Cup spot this year, McGeady would have been on our “one of the players to watch” list.
Note, since McGeady is rumored for a move, he is not currently traveling the States with Celtic.
• Staying in the SPL….Maurice Edu, you keep to yourself! Trouble child, and former Aston Villa striker, Marlon Harewood is rumored headed to Ibrox to join the Rangers.
• The jury–and AGF Aarhus management–is out on Benny Feilhaber’s next club. I’d bet on a Ligue One side (maybe even Sochaux) as there is a history or Danish players being sent to France’s top league.
• TSG was the first to write about Jozy Altidore’s potential move to Beşiktaş early Saturday morning. No news there yet.
And we still remain firm on not expecting an Altidore move to Ajax until Martin Jol’s situation is cleared up.
Current word is that Ajax is trying to convince Jol to stay. Doesn’t appear likely. Jol has won everywhere he has went and he has stated previously that we wants to reach the upper pinnacle of coaching gigs.
He won’t be able to do that in the Dutch league, he’s going to need to go back and get Premiership exposure.
• Who is Gal Alberman? The Israeli national is a midfield candidate at none other than Borussia Monchengladbach. Alberman signed for Bo’Munchen back in 2008 on a 4-year deal, but has played all of 16 games due to an assortment of maladies.
Alberman is back in training. Rumors persist that if Alberman is able to play it makes a potential Michael Bradley transfer more tolerable….or Alberman might be transferred himself.
So don’t just watch the wires for Bradley’s name…watch them for Alberman’s as well. Alberman is rumored headed to F.C. Maccabi Tel-Aviv in his native Israel.
• TSG was the first tell you former Everton reserves Anton Peterlin and Cody Arnoux were trialing at Plymouth Argyle.
It looks like Peterlin is going to stick after having impressed coach Peter Reid.
I’d also like to comment that Peterlin is a veteran of the San Francisco Seals who are back after five years and playing in the PDL. I’ve played against the Seals…it wasn’t pretty.
Read the report here.
For Cody Arnoux’s point, he needs some development and he’s going to need to latch on somewhere quickly here this summer. With Argyle seeming ready to take a pass and Motherwell not making an offer yet, Arnoux’s best shot might be back in MLS for a year or so.
• Brazilian side Santos have rejected a Chelsea offer for “sure-to-be-2014-star” Neymar. Looks like Chelsea might go shopping in Argentina against and get back on the Aguero wait list.