Post World Cup Doldrums, Where To Go?

Reader Patrick Sullivan wrote us and posed the following question (we’ll paraphrase):

Now that the World Cup is over, what does a newbie soccer fan do and how can I find some ways to root for a team that are “fun” and “hip?”

Here you go Patrick and others: a schematic for those new to the game or those fresh off the World Cup excitement who want to ratchet up the excitement level after South Africa:

1. Pick an EPL team to follow. Buy a jersey. Go to a bar.

ESPN is locked into EPL soccer for another year, at worst, on the dial on your televsion. The Premiership boasts some of the top talent in the world and its teams boast some of the best history. Just last week, TSG had a feature on Blackpool who are newly promoted the Barclays.

Pick a team to follow and purchase a jersey to cement your loyalty.

Should you be backing Birmingham and picking up a McFadden jersey?

First, though, do your research. Find a team that best evokes the spirit, flair or style of soccer that you like. Learn some of the history, star players, how the club grew to the stature of where they are now. Or think about the town the club is from, maybe it’s similar to your town.

Then buy your jersey, but be careful there too. More so than in American football, global football stars get sold all the time. Find out about how the player arrived at the club, see how long their contract goes for. If your team–gasp–gets relegated to a lower division will they have to sell the player whose name is on the back of your jersey.

Wait…I forgot to check…does my team have a chance to get relegated? (Ask those wearing Jozy Altidore Hull City jerseys to the gym these days.)

Is the player often injured–and why does this matter?

Well, an injured player–especially a star–is on the manager’s often look to replace because they need that star power consistently. For example, I purchased a Fernando Torres jersey for my brother a few years back when he went to Liverpool. It looked great the first 18 months, but now with Torres’ injury frustrations and his contract, that kit may become an heirloom.

Next–and here’s the key–tie it all up by going to a pub on Saturday morning for a game. Find a pub that is home to followers of your chosen team.

Here’s what will happen next.

You’ll walk in.

Mr. “I’ve-been-following-Birmingham-since-diapers” Fan will give you a brief snicker as you stand in your still-creased, smelling-of-number-adhesive jersey as you ask the bartender for a Guinness (a safe choice in nearly any case.).

Immediately, you’ll recognize the snicker and ask the old-timer how you think the club will fare this season, explaining to him that you’re a new fan and that you choose this club to follow from all your research and you bought the jersey to show true support.

And presto, the new fan will be impressed by your knowledge, sincerity and commitment. He’ll fill you in on his history and he’ll likely welcome you back to the pub the next Saturday with the first stout on his tab.

Just one option here to continue following soccer.

2. Keep the national team fresh in your mind: Read The Shin Guardian (of course), but also join a fan club or participate in an online soccer group

Unite, Strenghten....and meet new people...

The summer–as we are witnessing now–is the downtime for soccer as the transfer season slowly unfurls and players–except in MLS–are on holiday before they return to training or await their next destination.

The national team is even in a long hiatus, with just one exhibition event August 10th and one in the Fall, but none of consequence.

It’s like trying to get excited for the NFL in the 3rd quarter of an exhibition game, it’s just tough.

Two possible solutions for you here, join the American Outlaws and/or become a member of the “Don’t Tread on This” Facebook fan club.

Both fan groups go about their rooting and camaraderie in different ways. With the Outlaws, you’ll immediately be introduced to other soccer fans in your area through “AO’s” novel “chapter” management of its members. Thus, you’ll find others to watch that August 10th game with or maybe you’ll find some folks to attend local matches with.

With Don’t Treat On This, you’ll find a steady stream of information, gossip and irreverent humor when you check into Facebook each day. Just enough to refresh your fanaticism until the real rooting starts to increase when qualifying for 2014 begins.

3. Have a girlfriend or wife or just a “playa,” pick a travel destination where you can catch a soccer game

Our friend Dan at the Free Beer Movement and his wife Anah have a novel concept. They take trips to locations for US Soccer games and combine a soccer match with a cultural or active endeavor.

Van Gogh's "The Sower": Another idea...kick it up in Amsterdam, check out the Van Gosh museum, and crash an Ajax game (outside shot Jozy still goes there)

In Los Angeles this past January, TSG met with Dan at the Honduras friendly at HDC. Anah and Dan also included the Getty and Norton Simon museums in their Southern Cal sojourn.

A few years ago, I combined a trip to surf to Ireland with a series of soccer matches across the south and west of Ireland.

This works in the States too and the Pacific Northwest might be the pre-eminent continental trip come next year.

With the Timbers and Vancouver set to debut in 2011, set up a trip from Vancouver down to Seattle (4 hours) to Portland (2 hours).

Just look for that first Thursday Vancouver MLS game of the week and then find a weekend when both Seattle and Portland are home as well. In the meantime, climb the challenging Grouse’s Grind trail in Vancouver, hit up the Experience Music Project in Seattle, and check out Portland’s infamous rose garden….oh and go some MLS games.

4. Back to the EPL, play some fantasy, but make a wager.

You think Daryl Morey, Billy Beane and Theo Epstein are wrong? Stats matter….in any sport.

In soccer, the “box scores” just aren’t aggregating the right metrics.

However, get together with your friends and wager a little bit on some EPL fantasy and you’ll not only perhaps win some bragging right, but you’ll have to invest yourself at the risk of losing face.

If you're doing EPL fantasy, you should know this guy...

Pretty soon, you’ll be spouting of things like Hugo Rodallega is an underrated striker who always starts off hot or, wow, did you know than when Fulham’s starting backline plays they are just as likely to have a shutout as one of the top four teams?

You’ll also be a step ahead of the forthcoming sabermetrics movement coming to soccer.

5. Join a recreation coed league; coed especially if you’re a male.

You know…the type that professed they were “All County” or “All State Honorable Mention”. You know two team recognitions that Google can’t even find for the player if queried.

Anyway, that opponent is going to typically have slowing motor skills and next thing you know you’re going to be asking Sal Zizzo or Oguchi Onyewu how to come back from a knee ligament injury.  Tere’s just a little too much testosterone and risk of injury if you’re a newbie.

A good coed league makes the game a little tamer and just might have a cute right midfielder whose idea of a date is a dinner and a…..match.

In any case, take it from me; a lot easier to understand and appreciate the game when you actually play it.

Addendums:

• MLS! MLS! MLS!

And, once again, the TSG community is right! I did leave out MLS. My rationale was that the league is already midseason so jumping in may be tough.

That said, as you’ve read here on TSG, we absolutely love the Thursday Night Game of the Week. That’s definite and…TSG will make an exec decision right now to try and have a column or commentary up for each one through the end of the year. Wow!

The challenge, for me, for MLS is that I live in San Francisco. While the product on the field at San Jose is average to above-average, the hour drive and stadium leave a lot to be desired. For this writer, the 1-hour drive to experience MLS is underwhelming.

Put a team in San Francisco and you’ll have me at every home game.

• See a game live, especially college

Tried to cover this in number 3 above.

Go see the game live, MLS or whatever.

In fact, alluding to the “Eurosnob” comment below, I regularly go watch University of San Francisco games that are a 10 minute bike ride from my house. If you haven’t watched college soccer, it’s phenomenal because nearly every player is trying to impress at every minute of the match.

Watching player also mature during the course of the season is rewarding from a fan perspective.

• A travel tip soccer article is forthcoming

A few of have written in….and yes, we’ll gear up “A weekend at Red Bull” or other stadium, city, team visit pieces.

» A few of you also asked about the Van Gogh picture above. If you get a chance to do the Amsterdam trip, don’t hesitate to reach out to TSG for suggestions. “The Sower” is my favorite work from Van Gogh and it’s on display at the absolutely phenomenal Van Gogh Museum in the heart of Amsterdam. I’m not even an art expert or fan of impressionist painting and I truly enjoyed it.

1. Posted by Andy on 2010/07/27 at 5:37 AM

This is by far the best “what to do now that the World Cup is over” piece that I’ve read. Lots of great ideas guys. Thanks!

2. Posted by brian on 2010/07/27 at 5:43 AM

“Why coed? Because if you play in a men’s league you’re likely going to run into some player who want to reclaim their purported high school greatness.”

i run into that in my coed league now

3. Posted by Andy on 2010/07/27 at 5:45 AM

Oh, and thanks for not including a suggestion that I watch women’s soccer (ahem… espn). Bonus points.

• The women’s National Team plays some of the most technically sound soccer out there. I know it’s not for everyone, but the men could take a page from their possession playbook.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/27 at 9:57 AM

Andy:

Sorry, I actually love the women’s soccer team matches, but I think you have to be into them for the right reasons.

The chasm between the NBA and the WNBA is greater than the men’s national soccer team to the women’s, but I agree with you, obviously, that the entertainment or quality level while relevantly on par is still far from across the board on par.

I think if you’re going to watch a women’s game…you have to know the stakes. Why is this game important or something about the team playing.

Just wanted to add this.

• This is absolutely true. In terms of possession, passing, and on-the-ball ability, the women are more technically sound than the USMNT. Had a girl that went to high school with me who is on the U-20 WNT right now (Teresa Noyola) who EASILY had the best possession skills at our high school, and was better than almost any individual player I have ever matched up against.

Its just the pace of the game that makes me lose interest unfortunately.

4. Great stuff! I’d add add the through Sept and Oct (when the EPL starts rolling the soccer newbie can catch loads of LIVE soccer action through a nearby professional American league.

They certainly don’t have the pomp and circumstance of the WC or European leagues, but it’s OUR league and if we want it to grow to become a solid domestic league we need to support it financial and in our fandom.

There’s probably a MLS, USL, NASL, WPS, or W-league team in your geographic area. For just a few bucks you can get a great night of LIVE soccer.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/27 at 6:25 AM

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/27 at 7:03 AM

I would just like to add to your last sentence which is absolutely true.
        In any case, take it from me; a lot easier to understand and appreciate the game when *you actually watch it live* so you can easily see formations and a lot of the running off the ball that the camera doesn’t always catch.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/27 at 10:00 AM

Good points here, but a comment:

I live an hour from San Jose, the product on the field is average to above-average, but the stadium is just horrendous.

I–and I really like live soccer–cannot get motivated to drive that hour from San Francisco. If the same product in the same stadium were within 15 minutes of my house in central San Francisco–then most certainly I would go.

I’ll add more on MLS, but I think that is a challenge. After watching World Cup *and* after watching this past week’s Earthquake game at the wonderful HDC center, I am underwhelmed with San Jose.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/07/27 at 12:06 PM

Have to agree with Matt here. I’ve always been irked by the Quakes situation. I understand next to nothing about the MLS business model, but know the Dynamo are the old Quakes who left because of the stadium, and yet… are “back” playing in the same shitty stadium… and that SF was never considered an option as the Quakes base.
          The bay area consistently had some of the highest viewership numbers for the WC, and yet we can’t manage a soccer stadium in a *central* part of the bay area and have been left out of the US bid cities completely. I’m sure there’s a very good political explanation to all this, but I don’t know it.
          Anyway, I recently moved 30 minutes south of SF, so I will undoubtedly get my butt to some games once moved in more, but I’d still much rather go catch a game in SF than SJ.

• Posted by itally on 2010/07/27 at 12:15 PM

Actually, the “old” Quakes used to play at San Jose State University. A cool stadium, but you couldn’t see the sideline! The “new” Quakes are playing at a temporary location on the Santa Clara University campus (Buck Shaw Stadium). It’s a so-so facility. I believe there are plans to build a larger (i.e., “real”) stadium soon, but it’s all up in the air wrt the land near the San Jose airport. I believe Lew Wolff has the location picked out, but can’t remember what the hold-up was.

Ah – here ya go!

• Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2010/07/27 at 6:48 AM

A little disappointed that this article doesn’t push MLS more. FBM is spot on. I am really enjoying the Thursday Night MLS games. I just wish that I had an MLS or even USL franchise closer than 4 hours away.

However, I took my 10 year old son to a local NPSL game. It cost $5 for the BOTH of us and I literally parked on the street in front of the stadium. A good time. Oh, and I might add that a local Mexican restaurant ran the concession stand…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/27 at 10:00 AM

Andy:

Probably should have included MLS more…and in fact…I might in that I absolutely love the Thursday night game.

You know what…I’ll add that now…

• Posted by KickinNames... on 2010/07/27 at 7:43 AM

Must admit, that as a former MLS skeptic, I’m shocked to be adding my two cents here. Attended to Phl Union games in the last two weeks and came away thoroughly impressed with the product. Great new stadium and the team competes well and attacks constantly. S LeToux has big things ahead of him if his play continues at this level.
      Thought they outplayed M United last Wed night and MU was fortunate to get a cheap turnover goal. (Had a few beers with the MU fitness staff afterward and they were very impressed with the soccer they have seen on their trip here so far).
      The US domestic game compares favorably with Euro second division play at present and with the money and marketing being invested (ie ESPN, US owners, etc) I’m becoming convinced that the game will start pushing the elite intl leagues within 3 yrs.

• Posted by mhikaric on 2010/07/27 at 10:04 AM

+3! FBM, great work and great comment (BTW when are you going to take the next logical step and open a brewery?). I was feeling the same thing and a little sad that MLS and live soccer wasn’t repped here. I know the guys at TSG, as usual, have good intentions, but I fear that this how-to is a primer for creating more eurosnobs. Lord knows we have enough …

I love the EPL and the quality of European play is terrific, but I really happy with how MLS is progressing and, as a Union fan myself, with thoughts of the future. And there’s nothing like the live game!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/07/27 at 10:18 AM

Did someone say Euro?!

• Posted by mplsjim on 2010/07/27 at 10:33 AM

@mhikaric – i agree. this is promoting eurosnobbery: “An American who is a soccer fan but refuses to support either the U.S. National Team or Major League Soccer, instead cheering for European teams they have no personal connections to, based on the perceived superiority of said teams”

the only smirking new fans will get is if they jump on the big team bandwagon for no other reason that they are successful, then claim that they have been fans of big team for a long time and have not jumped on the bandwagon.

coys!

• @mhikaric A bar for sure before a brewery. Love beer, but to impatient to sit around a wait for it to become a finished product (do those the science and the process behind it all, though).

Can you imagine “Free Beer Bar”? Now I’m daydreaming about working the bar handing out free beers during matches to all the people that come through the door. It’d be a hit!

• Dan as you know I used to tend bar and would love nothing more than to open a SSP (Soccer Specific Pub), once I win the lottery, we’ll make it happen.

5. Completely agree with joining a rec coed league. I sought out an advanced men’s team but ended up on a coed team and I couldn’t be happier. The pace is fast, you get to meet people and you don’t have to worry about injuries from aggressive play nearly as much.

Also, I will definitely be taking your advice on travel destinations!

• Seriously such a great time. Game is one evening and you put a couple of days around match day and you’ve got a very happy partner (although she’s becoming quite the soccer fan so it’s fun all around now).

I get a game and she plans some great stuff around it.

6. Posted by John on 2010/07/27 at 7:32 AM

The coed league doesn’t stop the testosterone from flowing, it just usually doesn’t let slide tackling happen….. usually……

I still tell people that if they want to understand the game, they should play the game. Then you will get (even from coed) the clutching, grabbing, running, physicality and speed that happens even in coed. We only have one league here and it is populated by Ex D-1 players, high schoolers straight off the team and local pickup stars, the bar is kinda high. Just remember, practice practice practice.

7. Posted by Colin on 2010/07/27 at 7:54 AM

“If your team–gasp–gets relegated to a lower division will they have to sell the player whose name is on the back of your jersey. Wait…I forgot to check…does my team have a chance to get relegated?”

….like my Newcastle jersey with Milner on the back. This would have been good information to have 3 years ago…ugh.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/27 at 8:04 AM

Think of all those poor Leeds Utd. fans!

• Posted by Colin on 2010/07/27 at 12:13 PM

haha yea…poor suckers. At least the relegation only lasted 1 season Newcastle.

And to be honest, nobody here really knows players names…so its really not that big of a problem. I have yet to run into a fellow newcastle supporter that would know any better when ive got it on.

• Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2010/07/27 at 8:35 AM

Heh, you can always buy the non-player-specific jersey! They tend to be _closer_ to my budget and never go out of style!

8. Posted by Alex on 2010/07/27 at 9:23 AM

la liga is where its at gentlemen. a blaugrana jersey never treads

9. Posted by mhikaric on 2010/07/27 at 10:08 AM

I have a besikas jersey that my Turkish friend bought me, and with the rumors of Jozy possibly joining the black eagles, my shirt has become even more fashionable than I ever thought possible. Before I thought it was just cool to have the jersey of a strong side from a strong but lesser-known league, but now Jozy … I REALLY hope this means Turkish league games will be easier to find :)

10. Matthew, obviously we need to jump on caltrain with some beers and gogogo on the road to san jose. It is a bummer it isn’t close/convenient, I def agree. However, after sitting with the Ultras for the thumping the Quakes put on RBNY I’d say it is very worth it. if it wasnt for my buddys bach party id be there this weekend for sure.

FBM is also very right about the cultural soccer trips, however if you are part of the younger crowd and unattached, MLS is in some sweet cities to party in. SF, LA, NYC, Seattle are all places with lots of good nightlife and other fun things to do, and if you are west coast they are close (except NYC). East coast has NYC, DC, Phili. Midwest has AOKC which im pretty sure is the world’s biggest party in itself. A good friend of mine lives in Seattle so I use the Quakes vs. Sounders games as an excuse to go see him and have a weekend away. Really, figure out what you like to do, even if it is just sightsee and jump on a plane, catch a game and see part of America. supporting the league is the biggest thing you can do to help drive american soccer and get a little culture in your life at the same time.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/27 at 11:30 AM

My footballing travel budget is bust this year. Might be about to swing an I-95 match-up, but that’s it.
      I like this concept in general and it’s an easy (read: no-brainer) way to get the Mrs. on-board. I will attempt to branch out to California during the 2011 MLS season…

• George, we should have a discussion with Dan of FBM fame about this. Dan and I were planning on hitting some of the MLS cities next summer to promote the movement and catch some MLS action. Maybe we can make it a TSG/FBM roaddie for single and attached football fans alike.

11. Posted by Bob on 2010/07/27 at 11:22 AM

I have recently done two soccer trips that included mini-vacations for the family. The first trip was the Turkey friendly in Philly. Since we live six hours from D.C. and eight from Philly, I suggested a weekend in D.C. (family had never been there b4), with a Sat. side trip to Philly for the game. Everything went smoothly and we had a great time. Second, a recent trip to Charleston (an hour and a half from us) for a weekend at the beach and of course a night game to see Bolton play the Battery. The family loved both trips and are beginning to appreciate my soccer obsession.

Regarding EPL teams and jersey – I say go American here as well. Choose teams that feature USMNT players and buy their EPL jersey. I have a Donovan Everton jersey and can where it anywhere in America and still be in vogue. In fact, I saw no less than five fans wearing the same Everton jersey at the Turkey game and two female fans wearing the Everton away jersey (pink and black). Think of it this way – if you pick an EPL team that plays against Everton are you really going to root against Tim Howard? No way.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/27 at 11:34 AM

But you’re suggesting supporting a specific player than a particular team. I understand that a US player might be the reason for the initial interest, but if said player leaves for another (EPL) team, does that mean that your fandom leaves as well? Not sure I am cool with that, Bob!!

I am sort of jealous of the road trip. Sounds like a lot of fun.

• Posted by mhikaric on 2010/07/27 at 11:41 AM

Not necessarily. It’s hard not to argue that there’s something special about Fulham and Everton that makes them unique (although no longer exceptionally so) in their receptiveness to American players. There’s something to like about that. And getting behind the cottagers or the toffees because of players and capable managers (in Moyes and, until recently, in Hodgson) – yet neither of which belong to superstar category – seems about as good a reason to invest in a team as any if you don’t have any real connections.

I have a friend who decided he liked Chelsea on a lark and to this day it provokes the greatest irritation. At least having a basis in players or managers or habits bespeaks a knowledge of the team and some kind of connection.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/27 at 11:55 AM

I understand that players such as McBride, Bocanegra, Dempsey, Moore, Howard and Donovan have played for Fulham and Everton, and so American fans are drawn to them. But that is not my point… If Dempsey leaves Fulham, does that mean you stop supporting them because their aren’t any Americans on the team?

Why does your friend supporting Chelsea p1ss you off?

• Posted by Bob on 2010/07/27 at 11:58 AM

George – let me explain what has happened. I followed Everton more than any other EPL team bc of Howard and LD. Bc of it, my 7-year-old son knows more about Everton than he does ManUnited, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. I like Moyes a lot and respect him as a coach. Except for Saha, I like the other players for Everton and followed Cahill and Pienaar during the WC. I think Neville is first class and have read any article or interview that I can about the guy. If Everton had done their preseason tour here instead of Australia, we would have made at least one road trip to see them for sure. At the Charleston game I mentioned above, a ‘pool fan was sitting near us with his Gerrard jersey and I almost went ballistic yelling at my poor wife at how mad I was and she of course had know idea why it made me made (since she went to Ohio State I explained that it would be the same as if a Michigan fan showed up sitting near her with a Michigan jersey on – she got it then).

I guess my point is that bc I follow USMNT players, esp Howard and LD, I have become an Everton fan. Now, if Howard leaves will that change? Not sure … but I like Moyes and Neville and Cahill and Felliani and I love the way the Everton fans embraced LD so I guess I am here to stay as I am not a front runner kind of guy and don’t see any fun in cheering for Chelski or ManUnited etc.

BTW, you will probably hate this too, but I almost became an Aston Villa fan bc of the Ohio connection – Friedel and the owner LOL. Thank God for Howard – NOTHING BUT THE BEST!!!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/27 at 12:18 PM

Bob, this is awesome, seriously. Personally, I really respect fans who are not glory hunters.

Go Blue, Wear Maize!

12. While I love to watch many of its players, I have to say that I thoroughly dislike the ping-pong style of most of the Premier League. I’m obviously not talking about the top 6 or 8 teams. Too often it seems that running hard and tackling hard are equated with playing well. When FSC was a novelty, I’d watch every game that aired. I don’t think I watched 3 EPL matches last season.

On a visit to England a few years ago, I stopped on a whim in Scunthorpe. I decided to adopt this as my English team to support. After all, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea et al hardly need my support. But Scunthorpe? They were 3rd div. then, and really ugly to watch. They could use an American fan! I have jerseys, a scarf, pins, old programs, etc. I’m considering ‘sponsoring’ a player for the season. Finally, they’re crucial in the best soccer joke I’ve heard, so that has to count for something, right?

Up the Iron!

13. Posted by megabrain2.0 on 2010/07/28 at 6:41 AM

I just want to give big time kudos as well as a big thank you for recognizing the college game. As a college player I now feel a bit more appreciated. Understandably the college game is vastly different because (in my opinion) it is not 100% in line with FIFA laws. As it was said in the article, everyday there are 25 to 30 players trying to proove themselves in a span of only four months. Naturally this causes the game to be somewhat abrasive and sloppy, but high-energy nonetheless. There are vast amounts of fantastic players in the college game, but the NCAA (like numerous other American institutions) have somewhat corrupted the game, and with a game that is so intricate and nuanced as soccer, the smallest changes (i.e. unlimited subs, no continuous clock) can create a whole new beast.

14. Posted by T-Muck on 2010/07/28 at 7:43 AM

Great point on the Co-ed. My experience is on men’s leagues is that they tend to be very competitive and more tackles and hard fouls. Co-ed leagues are a more “just for fun” league, and tend to be a decent mix of players from newbies to people who have played their whole life but are horribly out of shape, to the odd ball really really good players that found themselves in the wrong league. I definitely fall in the “played their whole life but are horribly out of shape” category.

I really enjoy watching the college games live, specifically the conference tournaments. Speaking of which being from the Pittsburgh area, does anyone have any idea if there’s any plans of the Big East Soccer Tournament being held at Pitt’s new stadium?

• Co-ed is also a good way to pick up soccer chicks, women are much hotterwhen they play the beautiful game :)

• Posted by megabrain2.0 on 2010/08/01 at 7:13 PM

Pitt’s facility isn’t even goig to be done this fall. Their in-season tourney is being played at Founder’s and NA high school.

15. Posted by John on 2010/07/28 at 11:56 AM

Side note:

Kljestan scored his first goal for Anderlecht last night as they won their initial Champions League qualifier game.

His goal is the first goal. Unfortunately we can’t see the full strike.

16. Posted by penpen on 2010/07/28 at 2:47 PM

I’ve got a question re: Fantasy Soccer – where does one go to obtain insight/analysis/tips for that sort of thing?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/28 at 6:59 PM

Which league? For the EPL, I used to do The Telegraph’s but that was back in 2002/2003…

17. also recommend reading some great soccer books to gain some insight into the history and business of football

in no particular order i recommend the following books, regardless of which team you support

Fever Pitch
    The Glory Game
    How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization
    The Ball is round: A Global History of Soccer
    Soccernomics
    Bloody confused

I only recommended the ones i have read, honestly this subject could warrant its own post.

• “Brilliant Orange” is a great book about Dutch soccer and cultural influence on the team.

Reading a review copy of “Star-Spangled Soccer” by Gary Hopkins. Interesting read to see the rise of soccer in the US. He uses too many exclamation points like a middle school student report, but good details about a phase of soccer in American before I was a fan/alive (70s, 80, early 90s).

I second “How Soccer Explains the World” and “Bloody Confused” if you can get through the first couple of chapters (of Confused) where he explains English soccer in painful details for those who don’t know (although most anyone reading it would, of course).

18. Gallaghers Pub in Sunny San Diego shows all soccer games

Contact us for any needed information

Gallaghers Pub