After Tuesday’s Comments on Jozy, A Turkish Report

Still not in Ireland training with Villarreal, hmmm....

Update 07/28:

A Turkish report out Wednesday reinforces Beşiktaş is in the market for Jozy Altidore, claiming the club president is negotiating for Altidore’s service with a suggested transfer fee of $3M. That number would represent a significant discount from Altidore’s $10M tranfer price when he headed to Villarreal just two year ago.

Update 07/27: Ronald Blum of the Associated Press has the story:

“A lot of the top clubs around Europe have been in touch, and we’re just looking at what’s the best for Jozy’s career at this point,” his agent, Lyle Yorks, said Tuesday in a telephone interview. “It’s important to find a home for himself where he’s going to get games, continue to develop and really show his abilities.”

Yorks said he had had discussions with two Premier League clubs he wouldn’t identify. Fulham also has held discussions about Altidore, pending a decision on hiring a manager to replace Roy Hodgson, who left the Cottagers to become Liverpool’s manager.

TSG: Cautionary note, might be a little media dissemination here to put some pressure on Beşiktaş to up the ante on a transfer. Curious timing of the agent quote where Yorks has been mostly silent until now.

———-

As TSG reported on July 17th, Turkey and the Black Eagles of Beşiktaş was a rumored destination for American and Villarreal striker Jozy Altidore.

Other rumors have and had Altidore headed to Ajax, but even with the Martin Jol-to-Fulham situation behind them Ajax remaine well endowed at striker with captain Luis Suarez still on the team. If he transfers, that’s another thing.

Lending credence to the reports on Altidore to Turkey, Soccer by Ives is reporting that Besiktas is the front runner and NTV Sports in Turkey is reporting that “serious discussions” are ongoing to secure Altidore’s services.

Video: Jozy Altidore on playing in the World Cup.

1. Posted by kaya on 2010/07/26 at 9:22 PM

I’m not sure I feel about Altidore to Turkey. I like the national team and until pretty recently, Galatasaray and Fenerbahce were often CL contenders… but I don’t know much about the Super Lig except that it reminds me of La Liga (2 overshadowing teams), but worse. How good of competition will he really be playing against?
    That Jozy sure is a Romeo with the camera… what a ham.

2. Posted by mhikaric on 2010/07/27 at 10:30 AM

Just an FYI – the Turkish league is not really like La Liga. While it’s true that Fenerbahce and Galatasaray are often dominant, you should also count Besiktas as one of the ‘big’ clubs. It could easily be the Turkish Liverpool, as a comparison, to Fenerbahce’s Man U and Galatasaray’s Chelsea. Besikas is a very big club with a long history and some very favorable records – they play an excellent game and it could be a really good move for Jozy.

It’s also worth noting that although there’s definitely not MLS-level parity, other clubs have known to be very competitive. Trabzonspor might be the league’s Arsenal (ok, the comparison is stretching a bit), and they have a solid pedigree as well. Also, Bursaspor, which was previously not really known as a big club, broke out this past year and won the championship for the first time. From what I have been told by my Turkish friends, the league is getting more horizontal and more competitive in recent years because of new investors.

It’s easy for many Americans, and even Europeans, to not notice the strength of Turkish soccer aside from their national team, which actually badly under-performs considering the country’s bursting of talent. But the Turkish league is definitely, easily, a solid second-tier competition. It’s not too far below the Dutch league, definitely comparable to the Ukrainian league, and generally better than the Greek league (ouch!).

Just thought, being a Besiktas jersey-carrying American, that some context is in order!

• Posted by Robbie on 2010/07/28 at 8:15 AM

Thanks for this post…great info.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/07/28 at 10:19 AM

Yeah, I realize Besiktas is up there with Fenerbahce and Galatasaray, I was trying to voice my concern of its similarity. I’m glad to hear that you don’t feel this is much the case. I almost went to a Besiktas match when I was in Istanbul a couple of years ago, though the Fenerbahce and Galatasaray fans gave me every reason under the sun I should support their teams instead. Can’t say enough about the Turkish passion for the game, but I do still wonder about its league’s quality. Most national team players stick around the Super Lig, so I suppose that should say something.
      As for Guti, well, Turkey has always had the reputation of signing big stars on their way to retirement and is one of the reasons for my concern about someone going the other direction! I would think the Dutch or French leagues would be good for him in this regard.

3. Posted by Brian on 2010/07/27 at 11:57 AM

I think if the team is good enough for Guti to sign with then we should be pleased that Jozy may ply his trade there as well

4. Even if the competition is “second-tier” Jozy would be well served to bag some goals and confidence as it’ll make the big dogs in Europe sit up and take notice. Wherever he ends up, I hope that he has some success and moves closer to the player many think he can be.

5. Posted by Soccernst on 2010/07/27 at 5:43 PM

Please go somewhere with a midfield.

6. Though I think Jozy could leanr a lot from Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson, I don’t see him getting much pitch time or working out all that well at the Cottage. I second the motion that he should really go somewhere with a decent midfield and will get loads of playing time, even if it means dropping into the Championship or a second-tier league like Turkey, Holland, et. al.

7. Posted by dude on 2010/07/27 at 6:33 PM

Heck, this guy clearly has the strength, skills, and even a dose of speed to make world cup level defenders foul the crap out of him, all he needs to do is get a taste for scoring again. It would be a shame if he got so set into the hulking target role so much that he forgets the type of player he was in MLS, one who had a lot more confidence in making the play.

If he wasn’t so pivotal to the national team, I would kind of like him to go to Ajax, where they know how to hone technique, especially in goal scorers. Turkey will do for him.

• His pivotalness to the national team should make you want him in an Ajax shirt all the more. Imagine if he could pick up on even half of what Zlatan learned while at the club.

8. The Turkish article title translates via Google to “That bomb Altidore”. I’m not entirely sure how to take that one.

9. Posted by Rob on 2010/07/28 at 9:19 AM

Not sure how I feel about Jozy going to Turkey. Have we seen any other young players come out of Turkey further developed? Are there advantages of going over to Turkey versus a Mexican, German, French or English Leagues? I think it’d be great to see Jozy relegated to a tier 2 team and work his way back rather than to a league that Europe won’t monitor so closely.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/28 at 10:15 AM

Just because we won’t be able to monitor him closely here in the USA doesn’t mean that that will be the case in Europe. All the top clubs have such a vast scouting network that if he does well, it will not go under the radar and not get noticed.

At 20 years old, I would worry more about the non-footballing aspects, such as way he settles into a non-English speaking country like Turkey. Then there’s the international politics…

• Posted by kaya on 2010/07/28 at 10:33 AM

Yeah, I wouldn’t be worried about the scouting opportunities… going completely on assumption here, but I’m supposing that’s why Americans go to play in the Swedish, Danish, Scottish leagues: to get more exposure to the other european leagues where scouts can travel easily and the seasons more or less coincide.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/07/28 at 11:04 AM

I would say that once upon a time the Swedish, Danish, Scottish leagues were much better than the MLS. Not so sure about that now as the gap is closing / closed – perhaps Scotland is still better? Probably has something to do with a combination of economics, increased exposure and perceived quality of the league.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/07/28 at 3:01 PM

I don’t know squat about the finances of either the MLS or Swedish/Danish leagues, but I’d be surprised if there’s much (if any) short term financial incentive for americans transferring there. I imagine nordic clubs that look at all into foreign players are looking to buy super low and sell for a profit, not to put large paychecks on the books.
          I’m sure the Rangers and Celtic are better than the average MLS team, but the average SPL team? idk about that….

• I don’t know if the financial incentive is there for players to move to the nordic leagues, but it’s much easier to get a work permit in those countries than it is in England. If you produce in the nordic leagues, I’m assuming here, it’ll be easier to get the work permit in England, Germnay, Italy, etc. without as much national team experience.

10. Posted by SingingRiver on 2010/07/28 at 10:49 AM

players go to swedish and danish leagues cause they can make a lot more money. the scottish league has a pretty good pedigree and probably more money too.

11. Posted by jason on 2010/07/28 at 1:00 PM

still is….

12. Posted by Kevin O' on 2010/07/29 at 10:36 AM

I’d love to see him go to Ajax. From a national team perspective, he can confer with John O’Brian about the team and what it meant to his development. Beasley seemed to flourish in the league as well before both were derailed by injury, (O’Brian, permanently – I still don’t like to think about it.) Earnie Stewart is still in the league as well in a custodial capacity. He still would get some Champions league games , but best of all world class development at his position. The Who’s Who of forwards and strikers that move up from this league is unprecedented. That said, Turkey is not a bad second option. He would remain in another technical league and again, still get Champion’s League games. My fear is having a gregarious 20 year old roving the streets of Amsterdam. I know Beasley had some problems with being a little too festive with the natives. It must be quite a temptation. Still if he’s ever seen “Midnight Express,” then Turkey clearly is NOT an option!

13. [...] August of 2010, TSG commented on Jozy Altidore heading to Besitikas. It was off a media report, that said the deal was finalized. Of course, as we know, didn’t [...]