Update: Besitakas apparently set to win the Altidore sweepstakes. Just learning the details now…
The latest reports out of Turkey–multiple media outlets–have Trabzonspor A.S. still in pursuit to secure the services of Jozy Altidore but continuing to reach an impasse with Villarreal management for the same rumored reason that a Jozy move to Ajax was scuttled: Villarreal wants an outright purchase while Trabzonspor is looking at a lease-with-option to buy plan.
Meanwhile, the same reports suggest that Trabzonspor is playing off a bid for Stu Holden’s Bolton teammate Johan Elmander versus their attempts to secure Altidore.
The Swedish Elmander is a more seasoned, but more limited target man and who, at 29, is 9 years Altidore’s senior.
• The Bolton News catches up with birthday man Stu Holden.
• Paco Torres has a sprained ankle–haven’t learned whether that will impact his selection for the Brazil game.
• Word is Inter’s Mario Balotelli packed his passport in his luggage bound for Dallas and couldn’t head north of the border to America Jr. Does Man City really think this is kid is ready and worth it?
• That’s not a misprint today: Everton is playing Everton. Read about it here.
• Reports suggest that Mark Hughes will go after a Man City attacker in his bid to boost the offense at Fulham. However, it’s (the highly overrated) Roque Santa Cruz–not the much rumored Craig “Arnold Palmer” Bellamy–that Hughes is looking to…boost.
• Anyone else think it’s slightly hypocritical…maybe that’s too strong…highly ironic that the EPL is implementing the home-grown quota this year as a multitude of exclusively foreign investors seek to buy into English clubs (Liverpool, Blackburn, etc.)? All about the cash.
• I haven’t watched much of the Sounders this year, but Tuesday’s team look extremely well-coached to me. At about that 28th minute of the 2nd half, right as I was about to fault Sigi Schmid for lobbing the seemingly 100th ball into the box from the right flank looking for the equalizer, the persistence paid off and Seattle found pay dirt.
The entire night Seattle looked like a team that understood the game plan and was not reckless in possession. Even as the minutes ticked down and the Sounders were on the wrong side of a handful of calls, there was a tolerable level of dissent from the players. Well played last night Sounders…but then again I haven’t seen much of them.
• Thanks to the little discussion on “how to get to Red Bull Arena” I think we’ve got a pretty novel contest coming…working on it.
• And since we opened with Big Jeezy, we’ll close with him. How can we make Altidore to Birmingham happen? It just makes so much sense.