Just some quick follow-up to whet your appetite as we await the USA roster announcement from US Soccer expected in a few hours here.
• Here was our preview piece from last Friday on possible US selections. In general, look for a few trends today: (1) Players out of contract or embarking on a campaign with a new club will have a slightly lower probability of being called in; (2) look for MLS players to supplement those players; and (3) if a player was injured on US duty in the last year and is gearing up for the club season, TSG generally doesn’t expect them to be called in (Oguchi Onyewu, Charlie Davies), with one exception (Stu Holden).
• Do I need new sweats?: In speaking with USSF, they don’t plan on having an announcement on the USMNT coaching situation prior to next week’s friendly at Brazil.
• Don’t cancel that leaf-turning trip to Vermont with the lady just yet: Despite reports to the contrary (and information on FIFA.com), USSF has not finalized–or even determined–if the men’s national team will definitely be playing matches in October or the locations of those possible matches.
• Hi, how are you, good effort, don’t let the door hit you on the way out: Brazil camp–if you can call it that–will be a quick turnaround. The players will arrive on Sunday, practice on Monday, play the match on Tuesday and leave on Wednesday.
• Campaign Manager: Ale Bedoya for Brazil Ambassador 2014: Lately, we’ve got a lot of emails from folks asking if we can follow-up on our interview with Alejandro Bedoya (one of the most fun interviews we’ve done to date) from May of this year right before the 2010 World Cup roster selection.
Many of you have commented that Bedoya has been extremely gregarious in responding to your chats and emails and it is appreciated.
We reached out to Ale earlier this week and we are working to get him to have some regular contributions. Here was his response on hearing that his replies to your emails resonates: “I just try and give back because without the fans we would be nothing!”
How can you not for root for that guy? Class act.
• It’s not Antwerp: Steve Goff at the Washington Post has learned that Dutch club Heracles and French club Nice are among the Euro sides interested in USA veteran, and jewelry peddler, DaMarcus Beasley.
• Mum’s the word on Moysisian (and Mwanga, Najar) for now: We asked USSF about conversations with or intentions for players that could conceivably represent the United States including Yura Movsisyan, Danny Mwanga, and Andy Najar and they’re not commenting yet.
By the way Brent Latham, writing for ESPN, has a very good piece on Najar.
• Hey, Capdevilla, it’s me again: Should Jozy’s move to Beşiktaş in fact go through, the American striker might play his first game for the Black Eagles against his old Yellow Submarine. Beşiktaş’s next scheduled match is a friendly this Sunday against Villarreal.
• Cletus Style: How about a little tribute to Clint Mathis and his national team service. If you’re going to the Brazil game and a) sporting a Mathis jersey, b) sporting a mohawk, c) sporting both or d) see someone who qualifies for (a), (b) or (c), send TSG a picture and we’ll post it later next week with another tribute to Mr. Swagger.