Big Jeezy and Gonzo Added To US Squad

From US Soccer

Air Jozy: Flying high in 2010...

What does the roster addition say about Jozy's club situation?

Villarreal striker Jozy Altidore has been added to the U.S. Men’s National Team roster for the match against five-time FIFA World Cup champions Brazil on Aug. 10 at the New Meadowlands Stadium, replacing Jermaine Jones.

Altidore appeared in all four matches in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. A former New York Red Bull and a native of Livingston, N.J., he has nine goals in 29 career games for the full team.

Jones initially accepted the invite, but after further discussions will remain with FC Schalke to prepare for his first competitive matches in more than a year after recovering from a shin injury.

Los Angeles Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez will be part of the U.S. squad in place of Columbus Crew center back Chad Marshall, who has withdrawn from the roster. Gonzalez, the 2009 MLS Rookie of the Year, will have the chance to earn his first international cap after having participated in national team training camp in January.

The rest of the US roster…

The future is now for Gonzo....

Redress:

• In our humble opinion, an embarrassing moment for US Soccer on the Jermaine Jones front. If the US announced the roster some weeks ago and Jones now declined, that would be somewhat permissable.

However, you have to wonder what was happening behind the scenes that led to Jones accepting the invitation and then declining.

• The US also continues to call up Chad Marshall: to January Camp, to the World Cup 30-man and now to Brazil.

All in all highly perplexing from US Soccer if a player is going to continually be physically unable to perform.

• Jozy Altidore being called in is interesting. A local Villarreal report today says a Besiktas deal for Jozy is not completed and that Galatasary are still in the running for Altidore’s service. Besiktas is apparently a loan and Galatasary a $3M outright purchase.

What’s interesting is that Besiktas plays Villarreal on Sunday when Jozy is due to report into camp.

—–

Here’s the thing. You, USSF, scheduled the friendly. You already knew about potential conflicts, and you already knew that it was a tight turnaround (Gulati and crew easily thinking dollars first, but I don’t think that’s a terrible thing).

You knew you were going to call a veteran squad. Why all the confusion now?

For perspective, Brazil got ousted from the World Cup one round later than the United States. The Brazilians have watched their coach walk away, hired a new one and already set a roster with a mix of veterans and promising players.

—–

Oh….fine….TSG knows you are real and lurking out there.

Jermaine Jones (on left)

1. Posted by Joe on 2010/08/05 at 5:45 PM

Spot on… did the USSF announce the roster without contacting the guys? Im getting the feeling we will never see Jones sporting a USA kit. Also, im watching the Union-Crew match and Marshall is playing VERY WELL.

Time to cap in the Stanford tree?

2. Jermaine Jones released a statement saying he accepted the call up and then decided that he would need to decline to focus on getting playing time for Schalke. He said he wants to be as close to 100% fit before playing for our national team in order to impress the coaches and his teammates.

Chad Marshall pulled out because he’s played a lot of games lately, and the Crew have a brief break next week. He’s got to be prepared for the stretch of the season when they get CCL matches.

3. Posted by kaya on 2010/08/05 at 6:33 PM

Gosh, that took me a while to figure out. I think the tooth fairy would be an easier comparison for people to get. Oh wait, Jermaine Jones is real you said?

4. Posted by dude on 2010/08/05 at 6:33 PM

I like the changes, but if they turn out, it will be fate forcing Bob’s hand… yet again.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/08/05 at 10:05 PM

excellent point…

• Posted by Kevin O' on 2010/08/06 at 7:01 AM

…and this type of “I’ll just let it fall into my lap” coaching dates back to ironically, our playing Brazil in the Confederations Cup final in 2009. We would have never gotten there had Bob’s hand not been forced into the CORRECT lineup. He’s like the guy in an NFL fantasy league that picks defense or a kicker, in the second round. USSF needs to let this game be Bob’s parting gift. I can’t take another 4 years of this!

5. Posted by Mike on 2010/08/05 at 8:02 PM

Wait…US Soccer is bungling something? I find this very hard to believe.

I just wish they could be a little more on the ball. I realize this is a problem with almost every FA in the world, but its a problem that needs solving.

6. Posted by BW on 2010/08/05 at 8:02 PM

maybe he should be become the second to earn punctuation…. Benny! and now Jermaine?

7. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/08/05 at 10:08 PM

That 4-2-3-1 or even 4-3-3 looks a lot less likely now that bob has 4 strikers in camp, let alone 2 target men. I still really hope he works the formation in though.

I just lol’d at the thought of Robbie Findley as a winger

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/08/05 at 10:13 PM

Oh wow…thanks Antonio…I now realize that Edson Buddle will be chewing on sunflower seeds for 82 minutes…

• Posted by Hercules on 2010/08/05 at 10:14 PM

Yes. I think that the 4-2-3-1 that we were all looking forward to seeing is much less likely now, unfortunately. What does this mean for Jozy club-wise now?

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/08/05 at 10:31 PM

Regarding Jozy’s club situation, I think this is a good chance for all his suitors to get one last look at what he can do against a quality opponent.

But like Matthew said, Jozy being called up comes at the expense of Edson’s PT. The guy needs some rest anyway. And there’s always poland right?

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/08/05 at 10:25 PM

One of my dreams for next week is (if Bob does go with 2 up front) to see Jozy/Edson with the former in the hole coming back into the midfield taking on guys 1v1 like he did with an increasing rate in the Cup. It seems like Jozy was developing a ridiculous amount of confidence in his face-up game & I want to see more of that.

Another is to Still try the 1 man up front(Edson) and have Jozy on either one of the wings. That’s the other thing we saw him do a lot in the Algeria match: strapped to the sideline pushing in 1v1 or starting deep & working his way up. Now I know Bob won’t set it up this way but hey, doesn’t hurt to dream right?

8. Slightly (OK, very) off-topic, but what do you mean by ‘redress’? I know what the word means, I just don’t know what it means here. Help?

9. I’m actually ok with Jones not coming. It sounded like he wanted to and initially said yes, then his coach and club wanted him to stay which is certainly understandable from their perspective. A bit less than ideal to have not worked that out ahead of time but not horribly embarassing IMO.

10. More playing time for Jozy against top-level competition. I am in favor… and how! I like Edson too, everybody, but like it or not, Altidore is the future.

11. I’m a little disappointed with the squad. On paper it’s a pretty good one for giving us at least a shot at a win or draw, but from a development standpoint for kicking off the 2014 cycle I’m not very thrilled. I would’ve liked to see a lot more experimentation on the back line. And you’re right about Torres. Our midfield is our most talented pool of players but we still have trouble setting the pace of matches, so it would be nice to see someone like him get a central role.

• I think some on the defense (Bocanegra and Cherundolo) are being given their curtain call and most likely won’t be called into a meaningful camp again unless we’re really thin in their position.

• Posted by Matt B on 2010/08/07 at 7:57 PM

Torres is out with an ankle injury right now, so he couldn’t be called up

12. Posted by dikranovich on 2010/08/06 at 1:41 PM

will it not be funny when findley starts and goes gangbusters against brasil? usa really does have a lot of forwards in the pool, when you think bout it. what if we can add yura mossivyan, that would be awsome.

13. Posted by Joe on 2010/08/06 at 2:33 PM

I don’t think this is so much about the 2014 WC as it is the 2011 gold cup. I think developing guys for the WC 2 or 3 years prior is very overrated.
    Look at 2010. Guys like Buddle, Gomez, Goodsen, Findley were not in anyones plans until 2010

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/08/06 at 4:12 PM

Yes, but how many of them can you look at and say “those are the people I want on the team” how many of them were called up due to a lack of strikers and BB not really having a clue what he wanted? Goodson had been on the radar, but yet again he was there to cover Bradley’s ass if Gooch wasn’t fit. Buddle and Gomez, though good players, are not first choice starter for the world cup. Findley’s speed did the talking for BB.

• Posted by AO NJ on 2010/08/07 at 9:46 AM

Exactly my point though… It’s nearly impossible to start planning for the 2014 WC in 2010 because we don’t know what it going to happen. I think Bradley knew exactly what he wanted for the 2010 WC… which is why he cut guys like Ching and Casey who had really contributed in the past year.

14. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/08/07 at 9:07 AM

I wouldn’t mind seeing Altidore at Selhurst Park. I think he would fit in very nicely.

15. Posted by Nelson on 2010/08/07 at 11:39 AM

Does anyone agree with me that mac kandji needs a call up? That dude is balling with Henry and Angel at Redbulls.

16. Posted by Nelson on 2010/08/07 at 5:57 PM

He’s turned down Senegal and the Gambia in hopes of playing for the US.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/08/07 at 7:33 PM

Nelsen…I’ll look into him (I don’t know much about him) and ask USSF next time I have a casual conversation with them.

17. Posted by SingingRiver on 2010/08/07 at 9:42 PM

watch the redbulls-chicago fire game tomorrow night. the dude represents. he’s like six four.

18. Posted by BW on 2010/08/08 at 1:11 PM

just tuned into Villareal – Besiktas match. Jozy just got goal to tie 2-2.