EPL Jumble: Breakout Player

Which young player–and by young we mean much younger than James Milner–will have a breakout year?

Shaun, TSG: The obvious ones who will have a major impact on their teams and the league will be Chicharito (United) and Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea). Both players inject pace into an older frontline. They’re skilled, fast and determined and will be determining factors for their teams.

Victor Moses, splits defenders like the Red Sea (that was terrible, sorry...)

The not so obvious ones are Victor Moses for Wigan Athletic and Dani Pacheco for Liverpool. Moses came from Crystal Palace in last years January transfer window after having a great spell of scoring 5 goals in 8 games. He didn’t get too much playing time but he did end the year with a goal and an assist. This year look for him to get a good run out out wide and giving plenty of service to Rodallega. If Wigan are to survive the drop it will be mainly due to the play of Moses.

If Liverpool can keep him, Pacheco maybe the answer to their second striker problem. He’s fresh from a breakout performance in Spain’s second place finish at the under 19 Euro championships winning the Golden boot with 4 goals. He possess all the raw of skills of t his elder club and country team mate and should Torres be injured (likely), I as a fan would love him to get a run out. Known for his ability to score from anywhere, this could be his breakout year.

Though not so young, also look for Stuart Holden to have a breakout year at Bolton. They need him and he will get the playing time! Lets hope he can make that spot his!

• Jay Bell: Jack Rodwell.  He was getting better each and every game last year with Everton.  Unfortunately for him, they have a ton of depth in the middle of the field, but when he gets his opportunities he’ll take advantage of them.

• Eric, Followtonians: I would look for Jack Rodwell to have a break out year.  He is 19 and already captaining the England U21 squad.  Should have been called in to play Hungry.  He has pace and seems to find the back of the net in important moments.

Muamba: Not photogenic, but a hell of a player

• GeorgeCross: With the pressure on EPL managers to deliver now and not down the line, I do feel that it’s going to be hard for youngsters to break into the Contenders’ team unless it’s a substitute appearance when the game is safe or against ‘lesser’ opponents.

However, I feel that Joe Hart (City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Rodwell (Everton), Lee Cattermole (Sunderland) and Fabrice Muamba (Bolton) will be regular starters for their teams and will start to fullfil their potential and really aquit themselves well.  But the two players I am going to go with are Hart and Walcott.

Hart and a great season on loan last year, and he will convince two Italian’s to be Manchester City’s and England’s No. 1.  Not bad for a player who cost GBP1.5M.  I have always said that Walcott has been unfairly criticised, but now there cannot be any excuses – he’s fully fit, has had a rest, and had a proper pre-season.  Time to deliver son.

The reason why I haven’t included Jack Wilshere, Kieron Gibbs, Mario Balotelli, Chris Smalling, Federico Macheda, Victor Moses, Marc Albrighton, Carlos Vela and Phil Jones amongst others is that they won’t feature enough, unless there’s an injury to the first teamer who’s ahead in the pecking order.  Disclaimer:  Unless the go out on loan to get playing time.

Louis Moult…the big teams will come calling shortly…

Matthew, TSG: I wish…heck…first choice for me is Nani. I know, big star, big location. However, after a row with Sir Alex last year, a committed and rested Nani might be the Ronaldo Jr. everyone expected when he was signed. This is the year of Nani.

On Monday I mentioned Steven N’Zonzi who is now locked in for five years at Blackburn. My two cents? Manchester City could have acquired N’Zonzi instead of Yaya Toure and fans would have said, “My Yaya has improved since his days at Barca.”

I don’t believe in Sturridge yet or certainly Carlos Vela. My real big sleeper–that I’ll claim if he truly impresses–Stoke City hometown boy Louis Moult. He’s a mature 18-years-old who might start in the reserves, but midseason should make the senior side.

1. Posted by Ryan on 2010/08/17 at 11:31 PM

I’m looking for Liverpool’s Martin Kelly to make an impact before the season is out. Hodgson seems impressed with him and playing in an organized, disciplined team should allow him to have some success in his first full season. I thought last year could have been his year before an injury sidelined him, but with all the drama at Anfield last year, it could prove to be a blessing in disguise.

2. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/08/17 at 11:47 PM

Will Mr. Albrighton and Mr. Chung-Young Le please stand up?

3. Lee Cattermole is the easiest prediction imaginable. He had a great season last season, saying he could repeat that is like saying Torres is kind of a good striker.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/08/18 at 7:01 AM

The issue with Cattermole is not his talent but his decision making. This is a major problem for somebody who plays as a defensive midfielder. Just look at his disciplinary record – it is a liability. He does remind me of Roy Keane during his Nottingham Forest days though.

Great season last year? Funny that – he was injured for most of it and only managed 20 odd games…

• Most is a funny term, especially after admitting he played 20 some odd…. season is 38 matches long… he played 22. Constitutes most.

He is 22 and holds enough respect from the manager and the squad to be the captain. And if you watched any of those 22 appearances last year you would know the quality he brings to the center of the park, he’s just understated because he is a DM and not a goalscorer.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/08/19 at 6:59 PM

Agreed on Cattermole. Man I just want him to mature quickly.

When he went out last year Sunderland literally fell apart. How many other teams wilt when a 22-year-old isn’t playing?

4. Bale and Dos Santos at Spurs will have good seasons, Bale especially picking up where he left off from the last few months at end of last season

5. Posted by Nelson on 2010/08/18 at 11:38 AM

I second bale and dos Santos. I think nasri may break out for arsenal this year too.

6. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/08/18 at 12:41 PM

Shaun – kudos to the Moses call. I do like him as a player, but then again, I am biased. Same goes for John Bostock and Nathaniel Clyne.

7. Posted by Jim on 2010/08/18 at 6:48 PM

Moult was supposed to go on loan with the Aztex in Austin this spring but his age prevented him from doing so. He’s on loan with Bradford City this fall but I think he’ll be called back to Stoke City in the spring. I don’t see him going out to Austin next spring.

8. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/08/19 at 12:37 AM

Cuellar & Collins(not Dunne) out. Lichaj might start in the Europa match & against New Castle as well..

9. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/08/20 at 12:20 PM

and speaking of the tenacious Lee Cattermole

10. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/09/06 at 7:24 PM

Joe Hart has Peter Schmeichel-esque qualities about him, especially in one on one situations, and the way he comes out to narrow the angle – I cannot remember another keeper since Schmeichel where you feel the keeper will come out on top in one on ones.

For all the money City have spent, Hart will be the most consistent player.