Lichaj: Loving His First Start, Doused With Popcorn

Eric Lichaj had some comments following his debut against Rapid Vienna last week.

Lichaj gets his game going at Villa...

Here’s our scouting report on Lichaj’s game.

His comments:

He said: “It was a really good atmosphere in Austria.

“All the Vienna fans were jumping up and down – they were actually throwing popcorn at me at one point and I think they were throwing beer at Brad Guzan.

“But it was a good atmosphere to play in for my first competitive game for Villa.

“I didn’t get chance to sample any of the popcorn after the game! It was too bad we couldn’t hold on for the win but it was a good, solid draw.”

See more at the official Villa site.

—–Elsewhere:

Benny Feilhaber comments to Danish papers Monday that there are no current offers for his services.

Jay DeMerit to Swindon rumors dampened by Swindon assistant manager, Peter Shirtliff:

“I haven’t got a clue on those – it’s nothing I’ve heard about. We are continuing to see what we can do and would like to get a couple in, but it is proving a bit difficult.”

• San Francisco’s SErik Benjaminsen signs with Stabæk of Norway, the same club as vaunted US prospect Mix Diskerud.

• TSG mentioned on Twitter that hurdling up the depth charts at LB for the Yanks is no other than….Bobby Convey.

1. Posted by bunkel on 2010/08/24 at 7:06 AM

Disappointing news about Benny. It seems like a USA international coming off a decent showing at the World Cup should be able to find something a bit better than the 2nd division in Denmark!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/08/24 at 7:58 AM

I think it’s more a very constricted transfer market (much fewer movement this August versus last) and the fact that teams know Aarhus needs to sell.

Let’s watch what happens before August 31st. There will be a lot of last minute wheeling and dealing this year.

2. I like Lichaj more already.

I’m starting to think Jay may be heading back stateside.

3. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/08/24 at 12:11 PM

off topic: can you please ask ESPN why they completely removed the “Jacked Up!” segment of MNF from the interwebs? That was the best & it’s not on youtube

4. Posted by dude on 2010/08/24 at 12:33 PM

I actually commented back when Convey first came back MLS that perhaps we should try him at left back, as his ability to harry and track back has never really been in question. He is also better at withstanding physical pressure than Beasley (horrendous idea). Not a guaranteed success, but even though he’ll be 33, our options blow.

5. Posted by bunkel on 2010/08/24 at 12:54 PM

I may be wrong, but isn’t Lichaj supposedly adept playing both sides? I know he’s known primarily as a right back, but I seem to remember him putting in some minutes at left back during some of Villa’s preseason games. Maybe he could eventually be an option on the left for the Yanks?

6. Posted by Eric on 2010/08/24 at 2:49 PM

How can Klejstan get on to an Anderlect team but Feilhaber cant out of the Danish second division?