PSA: A Little Support For Ben’s Endeavor

Beat this!

Update: 08/27

Update: From Ben, “I am definitely going on that world tour and see Central and South America with O’l Nellie.
Life is short someone once told me…smile.”

Ben responds to your comments below as well. Please drop a line if you haven’t.

———-

A few months we introduced you to Ben Oude Kamphuis, perhaps the biggest Netherlands fan outside of Holland (and maybe inside too.)

San Francisco resident and Dutch national Ben Oude Kamphuis with "Ol Nellie"

Ben’s easily mistaken for Hulk Hogan so much so that commenting as such is almost cliche.

He’s also the constructor behind Nellie (pictured), perhaps the best fan vehicle I have ever seen. I’d put that up against anything in parade.

The reason I write today is that Ben is considering taking a more than year journey from San Francisco, California to Brazil for World Cup 2014 and using Nellie to get him there.

This is no small or casual undertaking for Ben; his leadership is highly valued in San Francisco.

He’s a Jefferson Award winner who runs Project Insight, an organic farming program where deaf and blind senior citizens help him grow the harvest.

Take a moment today, if you would, to write Ben a support note–that’s all I’m asking at this time–if you like as I’ll be sending him a link to this story.

I sure would like to see and hear about his trip to World Cup 2014 and he deserves it.

(Video about Ben.)

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/08/25 at 10:56 PM

Ben, I’ll leave a comment. Great idea…fully support it.

2. Posted by Ricky on 2010/08/26 at 12:14 AM

Watched the video on Ben and I am very impressed with the work he is doing, really shows a commitment to helping others in great need. Best of luck on your journey Ben, you have definitely earned a once in a lifetime trip!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/08/26 at 12:22 AM

Ricky: Thanks for responding. Truly appreciate it.

• Posted by Ben Oude Kamphuis on 2010/08/27 at 9:33 AM

Hey Ricki…this is Ben just to say Thanks for your words. I am working on getting down to Brazil with o’l Nellie….somehow it will all work out. Saving a few pennies here and there…put a smile on me face and of we go. Thanks for the support.
      B

3. Posted by Mukund on 2010/08/26 at 10:47 AM

Great work Ben! You really make a difference in these peoples lives.

4. Posted by kaya on 2010/08/26 at 10:39 PM

Sorry, I just saw this. Wow, I had no idea. Somebody that awesome can be forgiven for being a Team Dutch Crunch fan (kidding!)
    Very inspiring stuff. Thanks for taking the time to remind us about the people who really make a difference.

• Posted by Ben Oude Kamphuis on 2010/08/27 at 9:29 AM

Thanks Kaya….my heart has been hurting since the day we played that final game….that was no way to play the game. Such a wonderful sport and we went out in front of the whole world making us look like idiots. But hey…we have to move on and hopefully we do better and be more kind in Brazil…smile
      Thanks for the kind words by the way…I appreciate this.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/08/27 at 10:31 AM

No problem, and I really was kidding about the Oranje. I forgive you =)
        Your planned road trip has been my dream road trip since college (but you gotta stick to the Pacific coast until you get to Tierra del Fuego and turn left to come back up to Brazil.)
        I’m sure you will have the adventure of a lifetime. Keep up the great deeds!

5. Posted by John on 2010/08/27 at 10:05 AM

Hey Ben, best of luck.

I’m sure you already have it covered but you can’t QUITE drive all the way through Panama/across the canal area. I think some people have to take a ferry to Colombia.

Stay Safe and Give’r! Maybe I will see you down there.

6. Posted by kaya on 2010/08/27 at 10:20 AM

Yay! I love the new photo. Way to bury it under the 10 page La Liga preview!
    LOL. Smooches, your “everyone’s got one” PITA reader.
    PS John’s right… plan for a sea route around the Darien Gap. The Lonely Planet’s got a lot of funny stories about adventures trying to get from Panama to Colombia.

7. Posted by Catania Galvan on 2010/09/11 at 12:22 PM

I want to let everyone know that Ben has been layed off from San Francisco Recreation and Parks effective August 2010. A political move motivated by jealous supervisors after him receiving the Jefferson Award. With Ben goes Project Insight and all of the work he has done. No more trips to Europe for youth, which he funded. No more opportunities for visually impaired youth to volunteer and work with visually impared senior citizens.
    Everyone that reads this should be outraged and begin a letter writing campaign to get Ben his job back.
    I guess making people pay for using Golden Gate Park isn’t enough, now SF Recreation and Parks appears to only want “perfect” people in their programs. Shame on those responsible for dismissing Ben from a job he loved, but more importantly, a job that helped so many. Another example of poor government.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/09/11 at 1:26 PM

There was no attempt to make the move ostensibly about budget cuts or whatnot? I’d recommend trying to set something up giving people more background info and a letter outline for supporters to send to Chu: http://www.sfbos.org/index.aspx?page=2083
      That’s kind of crazy they axed him completely… SF has gone to great lengths to shuffle people around as opposed to outright layoffs.

8. Hoi Ben, hoe gaat het met jou? Zo te zien, wel fine. Ik, kirsten tenwolde, ben een collega van jou, lieve oud collega, elise eshuis, uit oldenzaal. elise is 24 augustus 25 jaar in dienst bij de brem oftewel Aveleijn, vroeger heette dat stichting dagcentra twente. Het is al weer lang geleden dat je op de brem langskwam. Heel soms hebben we het over je, samen met irma, you know. jij hebt ons een 2 jaar terug nog een kaartje gestuurd.
    Wij, de Brem, zijn verhuisd naar Eaton, een groot amerikaans bedrijf in hengelo.
    ik zou het zo leuk vinden als je iets van je laat horen een deze dagen voor elise, of dat je een berichtje kan sturen waar ik haar mee kan verassen. hoop dat je dit leest en me terug mailt. je zult wel niet meer vaak naar oldenzaal komen, m,aar laat wat van je horen. dat zou een leuke verassing voor haar zijn.

Greetz Kirsten