Love transfer deadline day.
I’ll be updating this throughout the day with thoughts (as I am sure you will below)
• Robinho to Milan on a 4-year to play with Zlatan, Pato, and ‘Dinho. May open up Dinho move. As long as Pato is allowed to progress I like this deal for Milan. Lots of firepower up top to take the pressure off its aging middies and outside fullbacks.
• Derby County’s Rob Hulse goes to Queens Park Rangers. The deal might signify an end to rumors that Eddie Johnson is headed there. However, it should also open up time for Conor Doyle at Derby. Can that man get some more press?!
• AGF coach Peter Sorenson says he doesn’t see Benny Feilhaber moving today. Bad for Benny, good for Aarhus.
• Liverpool get rebuffed in their attempts to land Carlton Cole–or Roy Hogson’s newer version of Bobby Zamora if you prefer–from West Ham United. If ever a striker need some complementary support and service around him to jump a level, it’s Carlton Cole.
• If he stays fit, an absolutely major coup for Birmingham in bringing in spread-the-field middie Alexander Hleb. Birmingham, you are smart, you play as a team….you have TSG’s heart.
• Schalke adding Dutchman Klaas-Jan Huntelaar for $13M. If Raul can set the table for him, Huntelaar will challenge for the goal title this year in the Bundesliga.
• The Gooch Watch: CB Kakha Kaladze moves to Genoa from Milan, may open some time in the middle for Oguchi Onyewu.
• Can Asamoah Gyan improve his finishing in the Premiership? A big if, but if the answer is yes then WOW does Sunderland have a nasty one-two punch in Darren Bent and Gyan. Oh and Steve Bruce also has a few guys named Frazier Campbell and up-and-comer Danny Welbeck in reserve.
You could say that Sunderland’s strike force is more formidable than Liverpool’s right now.
• It looks like we are about to get through the day without Arsenal making a move for a keeper. That is pathetic and an affront to the Emirates faithful.
• More on Liverpool, Hodgson picks up Paul Konchesky. While a strong move for Liverpool that helps them, that’s a major blow to Fulham’s backline who have played together as a unit more than any other in the Premiership (I need to check that fact, but I believe it’s true.)
• Unconfirmed, but….Tottenham are rumored to have snagged Rafael Van Der Vaart from Real Madrid. A solid signing if true and a better option than…wait for it…..wait for it….Scott Parker.