Writing this quick update post as I’m watching one of my favorite players, Cassano, do work on Juventus for Sampdoria.
Off the field, I’m pretty sure I’d slug the guy. On the field, an absolute pleasure to watch. Beautiful movement with the ball and off-the-ball. Precise passing. Smart decision making.
Another specific talent of Cassano…he’s a “360-degree” player…all directions and angles are an option for him and he’s got skill moving vertically and horizontally. Some players just excel at one direction or angle…Kljestan (vertical).
If he didn’t have any baggage and wasn’t a locker room poison, you’d always want him on your team.
• Birmingham vs. Liverpool
Love Birmingham and their home today and will give the Reds everything they can handle. Waiting for Cameron Jerome to have his first breakout game here.
• Villarreal vs. Espanyol
Jozy in the 18 today for Villarreal. I’m not sure anyone realizes, despite the obvious bias by the Yellow Submarine to try and send him out on loan or transfer, how momentous an American playing in La Liga is.
The best showing an American has had in La Liga: Ante Razov 2nd division stint at Racing Ferrol.
Like I said momentous. Get’em Big Jeezy.
• Bobby Z for Fulham breaks his leg. Hard luck for the striker who can just not stay fit.
• Let’s call it the Curse of Ibradiola…Pep loses at home with Barca to a determined Hercules side. Zlatan, who looked awful, and Milan succumb on the road to Cessena. No Gooch in the 18 in this one. Yikes!
• Rio Ferdinand with praise for Tim Howard via Twitter: “Say that Tim Howard has staked his claim for #silksoftheweek.”
Howard and Everton storm back to draw at the death against Manchester United Saturday, 3-3.
• Dane Richards, as we mentioned in the preview, continuing to benefit from the addition of Henry in NY. He scores the comfort goal as the Red Bulls do in to DSG at dam-up the Rapids, 3-1.
• Galaxy, rejuvenated versus the Crew. Beckham makes an appearance. Thoughts?
Eventful…an eventful Saturday.