Who’s Your Captain Vs. Colombia?

I started a Twitter discussion this evening which I think warrants a post.

Any chance Junior sports the 'band? (Photo: Matt Mathai)

The question?

With Dolo and Boca back at their clubs and Landon on a USA holiday, who gets the armband?

Chris Thomas on Twitter chimed in:

A great question. It never comes up b/c Landon never misses a game (when Boca’s out).

Will give us a rare little peek into the mind of BB….

Good point, Chris…and….

Many suggested that Tim Howard get it. While Tim is a worthy choice, the armband is usually given to a player who is a field player in the run of play.

Reason being? They can easily interrupt wayward opponents from ref conversations and/or scrums.

So your thoughts? Who gets the captain’s armband tomorrow? Dempsey? Howard, anyway? Gooch?

Is Michael Bradley ready?

1. Posted by TJ on 2010/10/12 at 12:14 AM

I would have to go with Dempsey just edging out Howard (for the reason of being a field player over the goalie).

Gooch is a good candidate, and I think if he was playing better and not shaking off rust he would be my pick, but he needs to focus on his game and getting reps and regaining form.

Michael Bradley is probably my fourth pick, the thing about him that keeps me from putting the band on his arm is that I just think he is too young. One thing I’ve noticed about him is that when he talks to refs, he doesn’t really talk, he yells. Maybe I’m just not seeing his calmer interactions with the ref, and while I think Bradley will one day, probably captain the USMNT, I don’t think he is ready yet.

Stuart Holden is my sleeper pick for captain, again he’s too young, but he comes out and seems to get better every match. If Bradley doesn’t captain US in the future, I think it could be Holden.

2. I’m not so sure on the Dempsey over Howard simply because he’s a field player. Dempsey and Sweats have had a few minor disagreements along the way, which shows the Deuce is a leader and doesn’t mind discussing things with the coach, but I just for some reason and not feeling his selection as the captain. I’m thinking it’ll be Howard, but there’s a chance he could name Gooch; for some reason I get the feeling the Bob is trying to promote Gooch as if he were in the market for a club…

3. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/10/12 at 6:55 AM

As a one-off, anything can happen. But if this was a permanent choice, I just do not see Dempsey as captain material to be honest. He goes missing in games far too often to be a serious candidate. Howard is a true leader and is inspirational – two qualities that Dempsey could use more consistently.

4. Posted by guti on 2010/10/12 at 9:44 AM

I think Feilhaber has worn the armband for USA before. I’m not positive so someone back me up on this.

5. Posted by mbw on 2010/10/12 at 2:09 PM

Howard would be a great choice but why are we convinced he’s going to play?

6. Posted by zlionsfan on 2010/10/12 at 4:41 PM

I would say Dempsey, but not sure that I truly would choose him. Given that we’re choosing a field player (otherwise Howard would be a slam-dunk choice for me), I would want someone with experience and someone who shows some influence within the squad … where I’m not sure about Dempsey is that I’d also want someone who can be relied upon to douse a fire rather than fanning it should one come up, and I see Dempsey as more of the arsonist than the fireman. (Something like what TJ said about Bradley; I would want the captain to be someone who isn’t going to get us in further trouble.)