Holloway Lambastes Wayne Rooney

Thought Blackpool was feisty on the field, well it’s due to manager Ian Holloway…who lets loose on Wayne Rooney right here.

Cue, applause…

1. Bravo to all of the managers who stood up for SAF. I would love to see some players’ takes on the situation though as well, so we get both sides of the debate.

For Rooney-tunes to question the ambition of the club vis-a-vis the ownership group’s failure to reign in the debt and spend money on top drawer talent is one thing. To do it in public is proving that you’re a spoiled little brat. Have United spent loads of money recently? Not as much as some other clubs. Has SAF made some gambles that aren’t paying off? Sure, Anderson and Michael Carrick immediately spring to mind. But this team could be doing so much better if Rooney could get his head out of hookers’ hoo-has and get it back on the field. Berba is showing signs of life, Nani appears to be assuming the CRon mantle, and there are youngsters coming through the pipeline that can contribute. If you can’t see this, and that United could be a scarily dominant force again in 18 months then you’re blind (or being blinded by someone).

SAF may have lied about the ankle injury or not, but I’m guessing it was down to Fergie trying to shield his star player from some of the criticism coming his way lately. For Rooney to publicly defy his manager without questioning the boss’s motives in person (maybe he did) reeks of someone who thinks they are bigger than the club. And rightfully, SAF has disposed of these players before.

As for Holloway’s rant – I love that there are more polished managers out there speaking in a PC way about this situation because that makes Holloway stand out even more. His tirade reminds me of some of the famous NFL ones, only more pertinent to an actual issue instead of just blowing up at a reporter.

2. Posted by Shane on 2010/10/21 at 12:18 PM

I like Holloway

3. Posted by kaya on 2010/10/21 at 1:58 PM

Could be the fact I’m not a Man U fan, but neither am I a Rooney fan… but I don’t see why people are so mad at Rooney. I’m guessing part of it is the fact he’s English and he’s talking about going to Man City, but I thought Ronaldo was at least as bad. I see the big managers using the press day in and day out to manipulate the game and league as they see fit and it seems to me odd that everyone is getting all upset that an iconic player is trying to do the same. Now I haven’t followed this story in detail (for the most part just reading a few summaries)…. maybe there’s some particularly nasty insult Rooney’s hurled that I missed. It seems to me that Rooney is getting involved in a game he’s greatly outmatched in, but I don’t see what’s so offensive about him trying.
    The fans that wear green and gold scarves who know nothing about how to run a business think they’re doing everyone a big favor in offering the media their opinion, and my guess is that Wayne feels like he’s just using the mouthpiece at his disposal. These guys’ lives are already virtual reality TV, so these kinds of “contract negotiations” hardly seem shocking to me =)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/10/21 at 3:05 PM

Personally, I feel that a lot what comes out of Sir Alex’s mouth is poppycock, but he does what is generally best for Man. United. I feel that Rooney has shown a lot of disrespect by directly contradicting Sir Alex to the media – it’s like he has gone out his way to create a storm in order to make the situation irreparable so he can manufacture a transfer where he can potentially earn more money. To say that Man. United don’t share the same ambition is confusing considering what they have won in recent seasons. Today’s players are mercenaries who kiss the badge of the highest bidder. They sign a contract, and enjoy all the security of said contract but think they can cancel the contract that they signed when they want. He’s a great player, but he’s not a God. It won’t happen, but I would love to see Rooney rot on the bench for the remainder of his contract.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/10/21 at 4:02 PM

I think the good ole days of the pre-mercenary era exited the building around the time of the Bosman ruling. Who’s to say Rooney’s attempts to manipulate the outcome of his contract negotiations aren’t in part motivated by some deep seated love of Manchester United? I mean, I know it’s far beyond SAF to play chicken with the media when a player disagrees with him.
        Anyway, I think the biggest sign of disrespect was to his teammates: “hey, um, when are you going to bring in someone besides this bunch of losers?” Manchester United’s a business, not a religion, and it seems to me Rooney is entitled to his opinion of how they run it. No one ever accused the man of being too classy. Man U will get over it and find another big name player to make money from.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/10/21 at 4:31 PM

Great point on the indirect smack to his teammates.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/10/22 at 6:10 AM

I agree with the sentiment regarding disrespecting his teammates.

I personally feel that it was not the Bosman ruling, well not as much as the rule that allows players to buy out the remainder of their contract – because clubs can protect themselves to a large extent from the Bosman rule but are powerless to prevent a player buying out their contract.

On a side note: yes, you are correct – football clubs are a business. But I feel that this is one area that Americans will never understand and that’s the role that the club plays in the community. Americans call a club a ‘franchise’ and as such move teams from one geographic area to anoither because the new area has more potential for profit. It really is no big deal Stateside. I can only think of one instance in England and that was MK Dons – and that caused such a stink. And because of this, I feel that England should not consider Stadium MK for the World Cup (should we get it) because they should not be rewarded for such scandulous behaviour…