McPride Bids Adieu

McEffort, McHustle, McClass, McGoal….McBride.

Home Depot Center in Carson, CA has the privelege of being graced br Brian McBride in his final professional game. McBride treated the pitch to something vintage with a back heel goal in the first half.

Well-played McBreezy, well-played.

———-

From 09/03:

McEffort, McGentleman, McTeam Player, McPride.....McBride!

One-of-a-kind Brian McBride announces his retirement.

McBride was a pioneer for American players overseas–reaching the pinnacle as the captain of a top Premiership side in Fulham–and is still looked at as the model of what an American striker should be.

While Clint Mathis added the swagger to American soccer, Brian McBride can be considered the fabric.

An unflashy player who got the job done in a flashy position, McBride is so revered by all that consideration–as we joked about on Thursday–will always go out for him to be included on the national team.

A bar at Fulham’s Craven Cottage is named for him.

Member of TSG’s All-Decade Team.

♦ Returned the same season from a dislocated knee to spark Fulham who skirted relegation in 2008. His play in a key match against Reading was, in one word, inspirational.

♦ And by far, the best header of the ball to grace the Stars & Stripes.

Brian McBride, always classy for American soccer.

USMNT career:

The ingrained singular image, World Cup 2006:

Over 150 appearances, a captaincy, 40 goals for Fulham and respect from the English.

“What a finish…! Brian McBride a goal made in the U.S.A……”

If interested the TSG t-shirt: McBride: Unbreakable.

1. He is, simply, an American soccer legend. He is the yardstick by which all other Yanks will be measured. He’s a throwback to the old-school; not afraid to put his body (or head in multiple insntances) on the line for his clubs and country. He’s a class act in victory and defeat, and his leadership, though not always represented by the armband, is unquestionable.

In my mind he’s made the #20 iconic for US Soccer in the way most people speak of the #9.

2. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/09/03 at 7:43 AM

It’s a pity that he’s not 10 years younger. He would be fantastic with the likes of Donovan, Demsey and Holden…

• Amen. His style of play reminds me of Alan Shearer. I often wonder what kind of stats McBride would’ve been capable of had he not played for the US and Fulham, both teams who starved him of service and often left him up top all alone without midfield or second striker support.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/09/03 at 7:55 AM

When I first saw him play, I must admit I saw more Frank Stapleton than Alan Shearer. But I do understand why you make the comparison.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/09/03 at 8:01 AM

And I just can’t help think what the TSG pre-WC commentary would have been like if McBride had still been in his prime. Seriously.

• Are you accusing us of hyprbole? We would never….

The intersting point about that comment is Bob loves the target man and Stu Holden’s golden crosses suit McBride’s game very well. If McLegend had been in his prime it would’ve been interesting to see how Bob tweaked the lineup. Does he stick with the speed option in Findley to pair McBride, does he go with someone who’ll take advantage of the knock-downs like Gomez or even Dempsey (so Stuie can start out wide)?

I think it’s safe to say Jozy and McBride would have a hard time coexisting on the pitch.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/09/03 at 11:01 AM

I’m so glad you asked the question George.

….and I’ve waiting until the question and comments to chat about.

I mean no slight to England, but US soccer fans do not have the same innate sense of righteousness at producing talented football players.

(For what it’s worth, I think it’s great the expectations England have of their players and national team right or wrong.)

Anyway, for American fans McBride’s talent is/was different than Clint Mathis’s, Dempsey’s or Jozy Altidore’s.

Those three players you can see possess the skill to at least fight for a spot at the top levels of national soccer.

For McBride his talent is less evident. It’s like he had a ceiling on his talent and then–with the qualities that are usually stereotypical of American players–used his spirit, effort level and smarts to reach the highest levels of soccer.

I think that’s why Yanks fans identify with him so much. He’s like the precursor to DeMerit in a way.

McBride’s talent will never ever be compared to some of the greats. But, quite honestly, in a game where a multitude of abilities are necessary to achieve a win, McBride can very much play on the field with those players.

I would imagine–and I’m going to get some reaction from Fulham fans–that the Cottager faithful probably looked at McBride and said….I wish we had a more-talented striker, but they didn’t wish that striker replaced McBride only played with him.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/09/06 at 7:02 PM

I would say ‘righteousness’ is a little off the mark. It’s just that it’s the No. 1 sport in England where football is waaay down the pecking order here.

I appreciate players who give 100% every time. Sounds obvious, but nothing pisses me off more than a player who seemlngly doesn’t try.

• Posted by dth on 2010/10/24 at 7:32 AM

Not sure I agree with the meme that McBride was one of those guys who transcended talent through hard work, etc. etc. First I think the meme is wrong when applied to anyone–the capability of working hard is a talent just like anything else–and second, I think the idea that McBride lacked some of the other talents is incorrect. He was strong, a great leaper, and was an imaginative finisher (as the clip shows). Was he as spectacularly endowed as some of the world-class talents out there? No; but he possessed them all the same.

3. Posted by KP on 2010/09/03 at 10:26 AM

What a class act. Everything one wants in a sports role model: hard worker, intelligent, always a team-first guy, and at least to me knowledge, always a good guy off the pitch as well. Im sad my 2 year old didnt get to grow up being able to watch him. The only saving grace is that being a Chicago guy, he might run into as a coach or camp counselor or something. By the way, somewhat like Reyna…doesnt McBride seem like the type of guy who would make an excellent coach, maybe even of the USMNT in 10-15 years?

4. Posted by scweeb on 2010/09/03 at 10:43 AM

I just wonder if he is going to pick up coaching? I would love to seem him involved in the US coaching staff or even . . . Youth System?!?
    This man just has so much to offer young kids as a coach.

• Posted by dth on 2010/10/24 at 9:12 AM

One of the interviews McBride gave seemed to indicate he was interested in a youth coaching position, maybe with the Fire. Which would be a win for just about everyone, really.

5. […] his own homage to McBride, Matthew decided the best way to talk about his “goodbye” was simply to revisit some of the gutty… Wonderful […]

6. Posted by dude on 2010/10/24 at 8:58 AM

Someone suggested a long time ago in an article that McBride should be hired on as a finishing coach. If we are going to rely on a single striker, USSF should definitely make this happen.