Our “Orange Slice” post is back.
It’s nearly go time! and here’s your starting line-up for the States…guessing a 4-2-3-1:
DEF: Lichaj, Goodson, Ream, Bornstein
CDM: Pause, Carroll
MID: Bedoya, Gaven, Rogers
Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update throughout the day and also serves as the place for you to drop comments like, “I can’t believe Bob Bradley started five centerbacks….what was he thinking?”.
Everything goes in here (links, photo, video) that seems interesting and pertinent.
The Yanks face Bafana, Bafana today in the Nelson Mandela Challenge at Green Point Stadium in Cape Town.
The USA’s final match of 2010 kicks off at 11:30 p.m. PT live on ESPN2 and Galavision. ESPN2’s coverage will begin with a 2 p.m. pregame show.
For TSG’s full preview see: Preview: Bafana, Bafana vs. The Kids, The Kids
Another good preview from our friends over at Yanks Are Coming here. (Especially liked the section on Robbie Rogers)
Now more bullets:
• 9:00am PST: New Jersey’s Giuseppi Rossi sporting the armband today for Italy. He’s actually the most capped player in their line-up as well. Surprising. What did Lippi have against him?
• Weather: As Capetown typically is, expectations for a clear evening. As US Soccer tweeted on Tuesday, the wind was distinctly noticeable in the venue yesterday. Uh, guys at US Soccer, you’re on a CAPE (body of land that juts out into an ocean), hence the name Cape Town.
• Surf: Plenty of options in Capetown which is a surfers and kite surfers paradise. The best thing about Capetown is that it has the warm Indian Ocean (warm, rolling, more friendly waves) on the eastern shore near the cape and the Atlantic Ocean (clean, cold, at-times-devastating waves) on the western shore. Muizenberg is a great spot for beginners.
But the left coast has just pristine spots like Misty Cliffs (a personal favorite), Nordhoek (for the rippers) and Dungeons (if you want to go too big…as Ian Armstrong once found out).
• From the Archives: Learn more about the culture and progressions of South Africa here.
• Well, it’s about time: I’d be willing to bet Landon Donovan’s Gatorade contract that Jonathan Spector and Clarence Goodson start. Can you imagine one of them not starting and then sitting on the aluminum internally mumbling, “Um, I didn’t get come all this way not to play again, did I?”
• More Nelson, More Nelson: This is the 2nd time the States are playing in the Nelson Mandela Challenge. The last time, November 2007, saw the States defeat Bafana, Bafana on Steve Cherundolo volley. Freddy Adu actually played in that affair.
• The King of Honduras, Captain of the States: Expect cap leader Jonathan Bornstein to sport the armband in this one. Only other logical choice is Spector which is possible, but not probable.
• Lich-jit: Look for the former roommate of our good friend Preston Zimmerman, Eric Lichaj, to get his first start in this one.
Who are your starters for this one? Who’s your breakout player….we’ll leave you with some video from the vaults of recent trips to South Africa.
• “The Counter”: Timmy, Landon, Jozy and Clint trump the Counterattack Heard ‘Round The World