Juan Agudelo….To YouTube You Go

The buzzing undercurrent remains this morning about the USMNT’s victory in South Africa and the anticipation of Juan Agudelo’s next cap–January against Chile–is palpable.

Our good friends over at 723 Football, who’ve been mancrushing on Agudelo since long before the MLS playoffs, put this video ditty together.

1. Posted by FutbolAmerica on 2010/11/18 at 9:07 AM

I was excited to see that most of the younger players were keeping pace with the game as it progressed. Many times I’ve watched new players with the bornstein-style deer in the headlights look with the pace of the international game, and I was glad to see players like Lichaj and Ream able to stay composed against the likes of Bernard Parker (FC Twente) and Steven Pienaar (Everton) who are seasoned veterans from top leagues.

2. Posted by Connor Walsh on 2010/11/18 at 9:07 AM

Robs mancrush on agudelo is an understatement….

3. Posted by Nelson on 2010/11/18 at 9:42 AM

I watched Chile manhandle Uruguay last night. They’re a pretty darn good team. Tons of footwork skill and shooting prowess. They just hack on defense sometimes. We’ll need to field a strong team to beat them. Looks promising with Agudelo and Mix being able to get into the game.

4. Posted by Kevin on 2010/11/18 at 5:48 PM

What I like most about that video is when Agudelo describes his goal. He describes his thought process and it’s what most people would like to hear. (not exact quotes) “I sent a through ball” “I saw he cut back, so I made a run” “It bounces off my thigh, and I notice the keeper is off his line, so I just try to get it over him” as opposed to hearing from most young american strikers “I made a pass, and kept running in the box.” ” I was lucky enough to get the ball, and I just tried to place it on target.” I really hate it when striker describe their goal by saying “i just tried to get it on target” of course you were trying to get it on target. Who in their right mind says “I wanted to miss wide left”!?!?!? just my two cents on Agudelo. His response is better than his goal. He knows what he’s doing and he doesn’t just have a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

For the next friendly I’d like to see more of a mix of experience and young. Call in those who did well this last match. Agudelo, Bedoya, Bunbury, Diskerud, Lichaj, Ream. And regular squad minus Findley, Demerit, Bocanegra, Gomez, Buddle.
    I included Goodson and Guzan as regulars. I debated about leaving Edu off, but I think he deserves to fight for a spot in the highly conjested center midfield.

• My favorite quote by Agudelo was “I made a run straight towards the goal, that’s where goals come from.”

Definitely makes him sound 17, but in a good way.

5. Posted by Soccernst on 2010/11/19 at 12:32 AM

Rewatched it. At the end of the world cup my feeling was: I just witnessed really big contributions from a bunch of guys who may or may not still “have it” by the time Brazil rolls around. How can we replace them? Im not sure we can go as far next time.

After this performance I’m optimistic that the US has turned a corner with it’s player pool and each cycle will bring more suitable young replacements than vets who are aging out. More competition for spots, more options in case of injury. I know it’s South Africa and it’s only one game. I’m a fan and I like what I see: the pool is deeper than I thought.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/11/19 at 6:26 AM

“I know it’s South Africa and it’s only one game” – thanks for putting things into perspective.

• But George, without TSG where would you get your national team hyperbole? Unless you’re still reading all those English papers via the interwebs….

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/11/19 at 7:16 AM

I have been ‘mugged’ by the English media too many times in the past. Doesn’t happen too often these days…

6. Posted by dth on 2010/11/20 at 8:39 PM