2022 World Cup to Qatar! 2018 to Russia!

For whom the FIFA bell tolls....

2022 World Cup Round-by-round vote totals (wow):

Round 1: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes (Australia eliminated)

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes (Japan eliminated)

Round 3: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Round 4: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes (Qatar obtained an absolute majority)

Another gut punch: USSF failure to challenge and concede CONCACAF format changes now looks incredibly poor. Epic combination fail for USSA.

Update 7:50: Qatar, wow, didn’t see that coming and think it’s a poor move. Qatar World Cup 2022!

Update 7:44: Russia awarded 2018 World Cup. TSG 1 for 1.

Update 7:10 PT: Auditorium is being filled. Twitter sentiment is that Russia’s 2018 is highly unlikely.

———-

The moment is nearly upon us.

According to TSG reader A.J. on Twitter we are to wait for white smoke from the FIFA chapel as oppose to American football expert Curt Menefee’s announcment on Fox.

According to Menefee, Edson Buddle may be on the 2022 team. That’s all you need to know.

The first 2018 announcement will be made around 7am with the 2022 announcement apparently coming about 15 minutes thereafter.

Still favor Russia for World Cup 2018 and the States for 2022 with the Aussies, first, on their heals.

Go USA bid this morning.

———-

From yesterday:

Don Garber plays the part...

The US is about to present their case to earn the 2022 World Cup shortly.

A 12-year lead-up in the States to the World Cup? Excellent development and exposure

Just click on the link right here for the live presentations.

1. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 8:56 AM

That is a PACKED auditorium.

2. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 8:58 AM

Aaaaa Kadammy award winning actor “Morgan Freeman” … I want to say, “Madiba” it is much the same.

REALLY?

Morgan Freeman playing Nelson Mandela is the same as Nelson Mandela being Nelson Mandela?

3. What’s up with Freeman’s Left hand?

• Nevermind, I found it. Apparently it’s paralzed (though possibly getting better) from a 2008 car accident. The fleshy color is a compression glove.

4. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 9:05 AM

Barak making a videotaped speech.

5. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 9:07 AM

Sunil is up.

6. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 9:09 AM

Nice, they just split screened Donovan’s goal against the youtube video of the fans going crazy. Pretty neat that the compilation video was used in the bid.

Still got goosebumps.

Landon up.

7. Posted by MJ on 2010/12/01 at 9:23 AM

I know we have incredible financial muscle but Sunil’s constant hammering on that, especially right after Qatar’s human interest theme, comes across rather tacky.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/01 at 1:37 PM

True. But let’s not kid ourselves. (According to The Guardian) 90% of FIFA’s revenue comes from the World Cup. And we all know what money grabbing, greedy so-and-so’s they are…

8. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 9:27 AM

Sunil is pressing a bit at times in his speech pattern. He needs to take a breath and slow it a bit.

Bill on the other hand is (regardless of what you think of him) a great speaker in terms of weight and measure of his words.

9. Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/01 at 9:33 AM

Clinton is a very good speaker. He’s rambling a little bit but over all its really good.

10. Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/01 at 9:37 AM

HOORAY!!! A diploma that says we gave a presentation!!!

11. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 9:38 AM

Watch out Zurich, Bill and Morgan freeman are going to be hitting the town!

• Posted by nelson on 2010/12/01 at 11:14 AM

They are quite the ladykillers…oh and don´t worry ladies just cause he almost lost his life in a car accident doesn´t mean he´s lost his mojo

12. Posted by Alex on 2010/12/01 at 9:53 AM

John, your hilarious

13. Posted by Alex on 2010/12/01 at 9:54 AM

Clinton KILLED the speech. got goosebumps.

14. Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 10:05 AM

That flat-screen life-size 3-D broadcast from Japan would be pretty cool to see.

15. Posted by Russ on 2010/12/01 at 10:35 AM

Is it just me or did Clinton sound a little under the weather?

• Posted by Russ on 2010/12/01 at 10:37 AM

I’ll answer my own question: He flew in from NORTH CAROLINA last night. What a credit to US Soccer. Glad he’s on our side.

• Posted by dth on 2010/12/01 at 11:16 AM

I think Clinton, in his advancing age and declining health, has gone more to the slow, gravitas-filled drawl as time goes by. I thought he was very good today, actually. The overall presentation was not great though–Freeman was mostly good aside from the fluffed lines, the videos were kind of lame, Landon is a wonderful human being but not much of a public speaker, and Gulati…well, he had one mission to perform, which was “WE WILL MAKE YOU $$$$$$$$$” which he did OK, I suppose…good thing for Clinton, closing out with some emotional stuff.

16. Posted by nelson on 2010/12/01 at 11:16 AM

Can we just give Morgan Freeman John Harkes announcing job. Imagine how epic even the lamest of sentences would sound from that voice.

• Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 11:57 AM

There he goes.. dribbling…. armed with love.. and beautiful skill….. heading for the goal… and he scores. This… proving once again… that…. the two goal lead…. is the most dangerous… ous.

• Posted by jwrandolph on 2010/12/01 at 12:20 PM

I accept your bid for the comment hall of fame.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/12/01 at 12:52 PM

Ll

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/01 at 3:20 PM

That was pretty awesome.

• Posted by Kevin O' on 2010/12/01 at 5:22 PM

Awesome stuff, John. Not to pile on, but imagine ESPN calling the actual event:

John Harkes: “Good. switch… from… Landon to… Sunil. Sunil… to… Clinton. Ah… Look. At. This. Clinton… showing a lovely… bit of speech… good piece of skill. Like my days at… Wednesday… goal of the year…”

Ian Darke: “Oh my! It’s a thunderous attempt, but it struck the woodwork, so close!”

JH: (irrationally long pause) “yeah… he… just… ran out of ideas… in the final third.”

• Posted by Yvonne Mason on 2010/12/01 at 5:57 PM

Oh, my. That certainly made my day!

17. Posted by 4now on 2010/12/01 at 12:30 PM

Matt,
    Could you get Morgan Freeman to read from a John Harkes’ transcript?

18. Posted by kaya on 2010/12/01 at 1:27 PM

Is this going to be archived on el 3?
    I’m pulling for Landon to use his time to sing “America, f**k yeah”

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/01 at 4:06 PM

Nvm, it’s on FIFA.com
      Hot damn Clinton is smooooove despite some speakos.
      I thought Gulati was spot on with the time spent on hey-you’re-gonna-make-a-bunch-o-money and Clinton followed perfectly with the human interest.
      I wasn’t as wowed by Morgan Freeman, tbh…
      I didn’t and won’t get a chance to watch the other bid presentations, but I thought what I imagine is largely a formality was very well put together.

19. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/01 at 4:23 PM

I have a strange feeling about Australia winning 2022 if they pitch ‘Asia’ rather than ‘Oceania’.

A PWC study “finds that Asia’s GDP will double between 2005 and 2014 and that this will create massive commercial and sponsorship opportunities for major corporations. It also finds that India’s and China’s burgeoning middle classes will be four times larger than that of the United States by 2020, and that there is a direct correlation between growth in a middle class and sponsorship, satellite TV subscriptions and purchasing power. By 2020 alone, it says, China will have a middle class of 700 million.

The report found that 31 per cent of Fortune 500 companies – including five of the top 10 – were based in Asia.

It also shows that the global brands that constitute FIFA’s major sponsors are growing much faster in Asia than anywhere else. Car maker Hyundai does 62 per cent of its business in Asia, Coca-Cola does 23 per cent (not far shy of its US sales, which account for 27 per cent), 43 per cent of Sony’s business comes from Asia and Adidas does 25 per cent of its business there, more than in the US.”

• Posted by John on 2010/12/01 at 4:41 PM

Also the reason why the big Premier League teams have been trying to grab for new business/fans in the Asia market.

• Posted by dth on 2010/12/01 at 7:06 PM

We’re all hoping for China 2030. That could prove decisive for the U.S.

20. Posted by kaya on 2010/12/01 at 4:58 PM

Soccernet article is claiming that Qatar is the favorite with US as “outsiders.” Man am I glad I didn’t try reading up on this until today… I’m pissed.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/01 at 5:39 PM

Most sites list America as the favourite for 2022. Plus, I heard a whisper re. China and 2026 (which would rule out an Asian 2022 host). But I have this hunch about Australia…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/12/01 at 5:50 PM

George, I’m with you on Australia as 2nd favorite or dark horse.

They’ve got a huge problem though in my opinion.

Time difference?

Going to real hard to $ell TV rights in the age of the Internet and Twitter if the games occur live in the middle of the night. I think if they *didn’t have this issue; they could be the favorite, but a nation of what 15M people with the time difference. Not sure it happens.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/01 at 6:37 PM

Agreed. But playing *Devil’s Advocat*, you’re forgetting the population of other Asian countries (namely India and China), where the Australian time zone is more favourable to them. If we’re talking pure numbers and hard cash, then these two BRIC economies shouldn’t be ignored, especially in 12 years time. Remember, it’s not per capita income data, it’s the total income…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/12/01 at 6:47 PM

I’m talking TV rights actually and the biggest fetch for them is in Europe and the Americas not Asia. That’s a huge piece of income that is nearly all earmarked to FIFA…that and the product suffers because of the timing.

That’s why I think China is a more likely bet…You can fill much larger stadiums and offset the timing of the games a la Korea.

I think it’s a big risk (like we saw in South Africa) to expect travel…especially from China!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 7:01 AM

You’re are right, and you speak with much logic. But can you use logic and FIFA in the same sentence?!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for England 2018 and USA 2022.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/01 at 6:41 PM

I don’t know where people come up with these odds. Probably as well researched as a fox news expose.
        As far as getting the cup to asia goes, I think there are better options, like asia after 2022 =) As much as there was a charm to the camaraderie of watching the games with 5 other people in 2002, 20 years later is far too soon as far as I’m concerned, for a return to that time zone situation.
        I really can’t fathom the WC going to a nation like Qatar. I know people love shopping at these oilwell destination resorts, but seriously?? I look forward every 4 years to seeing what character the host nation will lend to the WC and let’s just say the Qatari cultural tradition seems a tad soulless to me.

21. Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 6:37 AM

Does anyone know when the announcement will be made?

22. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 7:56 AM

Here we go Blatter, here we go!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 8:11 AM

Where are you watching? FSC have still got these clowns blabbering on!!! WTF???

• Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:13 AM

I’m watching a blue screen from the FIFA.com website. The only thing I hear are vague remnants of people talking and slightly inappropriate techno/house music that suggests that Blatter, Morgan Freeman, Clinton and the Prince of Qatar have started a disco night club behind the curtains.

23. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:06 AM

“I just want to tell you both… good luck…. we’re all counting on you.”

24. Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 8:32 AM

All I want for Christmas is the World Cup to be in the USA in 2022…..and tickets for the Final……and every USA game.

• Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 8:48 AM

As it turns out Santa Clause is an oil money pimp. Why didn’t we invade Qatar instead of Iraq?!?!?!?!?!?!?

25. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:33 AM

Sepp saying “let me say a few words” is the equivalent of a band saying “now we are going to play a few off the new album”. The entire room just checked out.

26. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:37 AM

2018 is….

Russia

27. Posted by scweeb on 2010/12/02 at 8:38 AM

WOW poor people in England

28. Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 8:39 AM

Does this help the USA since it’s basically Asia?

29. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:39 AM

Queue USMNT training montage ala Rocky 4.

30. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:43 AM

Russia is a Continent?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 9:03 AM

9 bleeding time zones, and *most* of Russia is in Asia.

I never saw that FIFA would take a ‘gamble’ on both tournaments. I wanted it to be England 2018 / USA 2022, but for FIFA to go with the safe bet on consecutive WCs… but to have back-to-back ‘leagacy’ WCs is quite simply astonishing. After Russia, I thought that America was a lock – sorry guys!

• Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 9:07 AM

I am going to need a computer algorithm to tell me when the games are on.

Still though, Russia is not a continent.
        It is PART of a continent.

Oh well, I guess the closest one for me to travel too now is the well organized and completely incident free WC in Brazil.

31. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:44 AM

2022 is…..

Qatar.

32. Posted by scweeb on 2010/12/02 at 8:44 AM

. . . . .

33. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 8:45 AM

I can see USA getting 2026. For real.

34. Posted by s44 on 2010/12/02 at 8:52 AM

It apparently takes corrupt countries to win corrupt bidding.

35. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 8:55 AM

The biggest loser out of all of this? Sunil Gulati.

36. Posted by Kevin O' on 2010/12/02 at 8:59 AM

We lost out to Bizarro World Disneyland? Seriously?

37. Posted by dth on 2010/12/02 at 8:59 AM

You know who we have to blame for this? China, and their stupid announcement TODAY that they want to bid for 2026. They should’ve like, hired a plane to drag a message across the sky saying “WE’RE BIDDING FOR 2026 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$”

38. Qatar is going to be a disaster. The heat, the safety concerns, the games at 6 in the morning… someone needs to investigate FIFA because no matter how good their presentation was, pure common sense would keep Qatar from hosting.

• Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 9:05 AM

As you should have read on this site earlier, FIFA is not exactly on the Up and Up.

39. Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2010/12/02 at 9:08 AM

I can only imagine the vast amount of under-the-table-money that was able to be funneled into FIFA from Qatar…

40. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 9:09 AM

The best part about this? Qatar gets an automatic entry into the FIFA World cup 2022.

We can only hope we pull that group.

• Posted by Kevin O' on 2010/12/02 at 9:14 AM

I’ll bet they pull together an A-list lineup of “immigrants.”

• Posted by Tux on 2010/12/02 at 9:16 AM

Dear God, please let us drop 7 on them.

Heck, let’s start scheduling friendlies with them now. Crush them every time as a giant “f*** you, you don’t belong in international soccer.”

41. Posted by DeuceForPrez on 2010/12/02 at 9:19 AM

Is it possible the fact that 2022 in US would have helped US Soccer is a motivating factor not to give it to the US?

• Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2010/12/02 at 9:25 AM

I’ve never been a conspiracy theorist, but even I actually thought of this…

• Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/12/02 at 9:38 AM

That doesn’t help FIFA at all. What helps FIFA is the new money they currently have lining their pockets. If there was ever a more corrupt egotistical bunch of people, it is FIFA.

42. Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 9:20 AM

“Presenters also promised to overcome summer heat of up to 130 degrees by air conditioning outdoor stadiums it will build” – from ESPN

Oh yea, that’s gonna work really well. Has anyone ever tried driving down the road air conditioning on and the windows down. IT DOESN’T WORK VERY WELL!!!!!!!!! And let’s not talk about what a huge waste of money and energy that is. If Gobal warming hasn’t melted the ice caps by the FIFA just gave Qatar the green light to just go ahead and polish them off on their own.

• Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 9:24 AM

Qatar has the highest per-capita carbon dioxide emissions, at 55.5 metric tons per person in 2005.[21] This is almost double the next highest per-capita emitting country, which is Kuwait at 30.7 metric tons (2005) and they are three times those of the United States.

• Posted by Tux on 2010/12/02 at 9:42 AM

How is this playable? 130 degrees Fahrenheit is above the recommended operating temperatures for most electronics. It’s the middle of the f***ing desert!! The only way that this is possible is if the entire tournament is held in domed stadiums.

43. Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 9:25 AM

Gutted and furious. At least Russia is a goddam country, but as much as I usually enjoy England being tortured in things football, I really felt this was their turn. Qatar just makes me sick all around…
    Dear Zidane, I’m also never forgiving you, you sell out.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 10:05 AM

Dear Kaya: why do you enjoy England being tortured in football? I have never understood this sentiment.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 12:16 PM

George,
        I put it below… some of my English friends seem to get the same amusement out of the same thing. It’s not mean-spirited, it’s just that I enjoy the predictability of every 4 years being trumpeted as “The Year” regardless of what reality may warrant. I also enjoy watching CONMEBOL post-match roundhouses, the French team imploding, sweatpants unflagging dedication to questionable players. Idk how to explain it, but it’s all in the game =)
        I really wanted England to get the 2018 WC more than I wanted us to get 2022 (though less than I wanted Qatar to NOT get it.) Watching the drama unfold as millions of countrymen are tortured/elated by an outcome is fun, watching a decision like this be rigged by greed and corruption is decidedly un-fun.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 12:30 PM

I am really surprised that you wanted England to get the 2018 WC more than you wanted to get 2022 yourself – that doesn’t make any sense!

I knew that Baddiel & Skinner song would haunt us forever.

I am still gobsmacked that Qatar got 2022. England wasn’t even in the running, so it’s not sour grapes, it’s just ridiculous. More ridiculous than John Harkes’ commentary. And I never thought that anything was possible.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 1:10 PM

Maybe “I think 2018 should’ve gone to England even more than I would’ve liked 2022 to go to the US” is better said. While I could see Australia as perhaps a better case of merit for 2022, I couldn’t get excited about it. However, there’s something to be said for honoring the history of the game that I think a 52 year wait for the WC’s return to England was long enough.
          Anyway, I’m clearly not living in the same dimension as the FIFA mob.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 2:06 PM

This is the thing: Sepp, Michel and Franz have talked about “England being the Motherland of football” for the last 6 months in the run up to today. If an Englishman says that, we get called stuffy, arrogant and righteous, we can’t win!!

I vote that Kaya becomes an ExCo member!

Not excited about 2030, as England, should we throw our hat in the ring, will be up against Italy, Spain and France, plus all the other smaller co-hosts. Call me paranoid, but it is clear to me that England won’t host another WC.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 3:14 PM

While I think the UEFA peeps shed a lot of crocodile tears about how their teams qualify for the WC finals, you definitely have a tall soap box to stand on over how tough it is win hosting in Europe.
          It’s just outrageous to have bid committees spend so much time/money on this bid song/dance to have it decided in such fashion.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 3:26 PM

Not soap box – just a desperation for my country to host the WC in my life time. Not sure how long you’ve been following the game or how old you were in 1994, but I’ve been a fan for a long time, and was not born in 1966. Pre-2006, I was like all my German mates who felt the same about hosting The Big One. That’s all.

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 3:44 PM

I don’t think you’re paranoid… at least in our lifetimes. At this rate I’m not sure about the US getting it again, either! But because of the FIFA region format, I’d give us better odds at this point.

44. Posted by dallen on 2010/12/02 at 9:26 AM

I live in Phoenix. I’ve experienced outdoor sporting events and the dreaded “Desert Summer Drunk.” Someone will die. Seriously. Some pasty brit loaded on contraband booze is going to pass out under the sun and die.

In other news, n honor of Qatar’s anti-alcohol beliefs, all future FIFA celebrations will look like this instead of using Champagne:

45. Posted by Mark F on 2010/12/02 at 9:31 AM

I feel so gutted… As i was watching sky sports on FSC, a bid supporter said something along the lines of when our team plays good, and loses, we honor that. So thank you to all the US diplomacies, i was so excited to see it in the US

46. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 9:42 AM

From the BBC

England bid ambassador and BBC presenter Gary Lineker has confirmed that England were knocked out in the first round of voting. They came fourth out of four. I’m stunned.

• Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 9:45 AM

Any idea where the US finished in voting?

• Posted by Tux on 2010/12/02 at 9:45 AM

And this is why honest brokering doesn’t work with FIFA.

Screw ‘em. Let’s start our own tournament.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 10:11 AM

It really is time for a transparent, open bid process. Losing is one thing, but “not really knowing why”, is quite another.

Still happy that Spain / Portugal didn’t get it. At least the Russia bid team put the work in to sell their product / bid, rather than sit on their arses and “count on the Latin-thing from South America”

47. Posted by nelson on 2010/12/02 at 9:47 AM

i represented Qatar in a Model UN about five years ago. They’re filthy rich and will have amazing airconditioned stadia. I imagine some members of the voting panel are filthy rich too now.

Honestly though I think the US videos were more vague than a highschooler’s powerpoint presentation. But apparently they matter not as the presentations are more of a formality.

Why didn’t the US include Death Valley, Baton Rouge as a stadium. 90,000 people

• Posted by Chris on 2010/12/02 at 10:41 AM

The idea of a World Cup game being played in Tiger Stadium just made me wet myself. LSU student here.

48. Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 9:51 AM

Dear George, et al Engerlanders,
    My weirdo shcadenfreude is “it makes me giggle”, not vicious, if that makes any sense…

• Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 10:01 AM

weird, this was supposed to be a reply to my earlier comment…. or is my phone not up to wordpressing comment formats….

49. Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 9:56 AM

Can we try FIFA and the Qatari bid committee for Crimes Against the Environment @ the ICC? Before we even start talking about A/C for stadia, what about building 12 stadia for a month’s use?

50. Posted by Iggystar on 2010/12/02 at 9:59 AM

Damnit Robbie Findley you screw up everything!

51. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 10:01 AM

With all the negativity from US fans about the Qatar bid, I feel it is important to show some positives.

#1 It won’t be cold!
    #2 There is some cool architecture in the area.
    #3 Women ARE allowed to drive nowadays.
    #4 They have air conditioned malls.
    #5 Sharia laws are less sternly implemented than in Saudi Arabia.
    #6 There are no restrictions on dress…. well… other than massive societal ones.
    #7 You CAN buy booze… kinda… at a few places… that are really expensive… but it is illegal to be drunk or show alcohol.
    #8 (for the ladies) You CAN wear a bikini on the beach… well… I mean there isn’t any specific law that says you can’t. So… yeah…
    #9 (for the gay/lesbian group)…. you know… lets just skip this and say that you should probably book double beds.
    #10 (for the environmentalists) Qatar doesn’t participate in whaling!
    #11 (for the obese soccer/football fan) You won’t have to travel very far to get from game to game and everything will probably be air conditioned.
    #12 Halal food is delicious. (serious)

52. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 10:07 AM

Full results of 2018 voting:

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.
    Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 12 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

England TWO VOTES?!?!!!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 10:22 AM

Does it really matter? It’s pretty binary IMO – you win the right to host, or you don’t…

• Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 10:30 AM

I guess what interests me is that England basically had absolutely no chance.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 10:35 AM

John, don’t get me wrong – two votes is humiliating, cannot deny that. But I am still in shock over the whole process. Clearly we’re not good at football politics.

• How do the joint bids of Netherlands/Belgium and Spain/Portugal not get knocked out in the first rounds, or even before we get to this point, when FIFA said it didn’t want any co-hosted tournaments. Or did I dream that?

• Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 1:15 PM

Nope Nick you didn’t dream that for 2010 and 2014 joint bids were disallowed. Apparently for 2018 and 2022 joint bids were disallow for countries not willing pay bribes. Slight difference.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 10:41 AM

Actually, if you think about it, it was ONE vote – one of the ExCo members is English…

For the England bid team to think that they won some votes in the last few days, when they actually didn’t is quite sad. I wonder who said that they would vote for England, didn’t. That’s why this should be an open, transparent bid…

[I will stop crying soon].

53. Posted by John on 2010/12/02 at 10:39 AM

2022 Voting:

Round 1: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, US 3 votes, South Korea 4 votes and Qatar 11 votes.
    Round 2: Japan 2 votes, South Korea 5 votes, US 5 votes and Qatar 10 votes.
    Round 3 South Korea 5 votes, US 6 votes and Qatar 11 votes.
    Round 4 US 8 votes and Qatar 14 votes (Qatar obtain absolute majority)

Looks like the US never really had a chance either. When the Korea voting block crumbled Qatar finally won.

54. Posted by Kevin O' on 2010/12/02 at 11:06 AM

I think Russia should put the final in Siberia as an FU to Qatar. “You like our air conditioning?”

• Posted by Jake on 2010/12/02 at 11:22 AM

I was thinking the same thing…

From Siberia to the Desert – A four year odessey

• Posted by MJ on 2010/12/02 at 1:32 PM

I’m supposed to be reading for my grad class tonight and your comment just made me laugh out loud in the dead quiet grad library. Thank you.

(Now I need to go change locations…)

55. Posted by Eric on 2010/12/02 at 11:23 AM

This complete bull*** on FIFA’s part. My only hope for 2022 is that Israel qualifies for the tournament and is drawn into Qatar’s group along with us so we can beat the crap out of them 7-0. What a joke.

56. Posted by Tux on 2010/12/02 at 11:34 AM

From Grant Wahl’s twitter feed:
    “Qatar’s 4 biggest cities (est 2010 population): Doha (998,651), Al-Rayyan (444,557), Al-Khor (31,547), Al-Wakrah (31,441)”

For reference, you basically have a city the size of St. Louis, a city the size of Fort Worth, and then two cities a third of the size of Albany, NY. I’m from Albany. I know Albany. And sir, that is not a city that can support a minor league hockey team or an AFL team, let alone handle a WC stadium.

57. Posted by Freegle on 2010/12/02 at 12:05 PM

I am disappointed and dismayed by the results of the voting process but I can’t really say I’m surprised…

The members of the committee took the money. There can be little doubt of that. There is no defensible argument that FIFA can make that holding a World Cup in Qatar is beneficial to the world, the game, the players, or the fans. The ExCo members chose lining their individual pockets immediately over picking what would have been the most lucrative, money-making venture that FIFA could ever imagine.

In 12 years, most, if not all, of these voters will be long gone so they stand to benefit little from the tournament at that time. Their chance to “cash in” (both literally and figuratively) was today, and they took it. It is in the best PERSONAL interest of anyone that voted today to choose Qatar even if it is in the international community’s (including the governing body of FIFA as a whole) best interest to hold it in the USA.

This process proves that FIFA is a corrupt organization and the entire process is fraudulent. Shame on them.

58. Posted by dth on 2010/12/02 at 12:15 PM

Well, I guess we can always root for a Colombia-in-’86 situation. It may come to that.

59. Posted by Eric on 2010/12/02 at 12:16 PM

I would actually make the argument that Australia was the best pick for the 2022 world cup in terms of actually improving the global game and helping out a growing soccer nation. Australia needs a boost and the world cup would give it. The US would have been the best choice in terms of making FIFA money though.

However, there is absolutely no justifiable reason to pick Qatar other than the bribe money they must have taken. Seriously, if I was Jewish, female, homosexual I definitely wouldn’t feel safe going to Qatar.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 12:35 PM

+1. And some.

• Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 12:47 PM

Round 1 – 1 vote Australia and 3 votes USA the two most logical choices for the game get 4 votes out of 22. That basically tells me only 4 people voting wasn’t either a total idiot (I’m looking at the 3 people that voted for Japan….really 3d on the field in 200+ stadiums…right) or flat out corrupt. I’m sad. I’m really really sad.

When I was kid watching the World Cup I thought it was the greatest thing in all of sports. I thought it was pure and wonderful. I thought the players played cause they loved to play and I thought it was hosted in places that would showcase the game. Even till yesterday I still had that kid inside of me that still believed all of that. That kid was quickly being suffocated over the last year and I think FIFA put the nails in the coffin today. This sucks.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 12:52 PM

You want to read about the corruption that occured during the tournament in Argentina 1978.

• Posted by T-Muck on 2010/12/02 at 12:58 PM

Wasn’t alive for that one so I’m going to ignore it. Trying to keep my boyhood childish wonder when I was a kid at least intack. I’ll save that moment of realizing everything you thought was great and wonderful as kid was really horrible and corrupt back then and not just now for a later date.

60. Posted by kaya on 2010/12/02 at 12:36 PM

Well, there’s a few years for some good samaritan shell corporations to stand up and pledge to build the stadiums for pennies on the riyal and use paper mache for building materials. In the meantime, I guess I’m going to drink pepsi and coors and wear nike when I dine out at burger king.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/12/02 at 12:54 PM

Just make sure that the Nike that you wear was not made by child labourers in China…

61. Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2010/12/02 at 1:32 PM

I think it would be funny to know how many more people SIGNED THE PETITION to bring the Cup to the US than people LIVE in Qatar…

62. Posted by Name: Mark on 2010/12/02 at 8:26 PM

The people of Middle east are crazy about Soccer. I am very happy for Qatar and the rest of the region. We need good news coming from that part of the world. I hope this inspires the youth of indulge in sports rather than violence.

Also very disappoint­ed with some of the comments here. The people living in Qatar may have a different lifestyle than us, but they deserve this as much as any other nation. Also an event like this will help the liberal forces in the middle east and will be a defeat for extremist.

63. Posted by Soccernst on 2010/12/04 at 7:39 AM

Actually Qatar could be pretty amazing. One giant soccer fiesta. Like a soccer burning man, but with less naked people. USA to provide the ” performance art” GO YANKS!