Thank You: A Nomination For The Community

Well done TSG Community.....(photo by Matt Mathai)

A few weeks ago, TSG was honored to be named by US Soccer as one of its finalist for best US Soccer Blog 2010.

Today is in fact the last day to vote for that award…and we don’t mind saying it’s unlikely TSG is going to pull an Algeria here. The simple law of numbers and conversion of those from reader to votes might leave us just shy in the group stage here.

But a huge thank you to you is in order nonetheless.

This is the 2nd year, in that you–are esteemed readers–have pushed the nomination button to get us into the awards and we thank you for that.

Since it’s inception, the The Shin Guardian has been about–and will continue to be–a community where your voice can be heard. The nature of media in the Immediacy Age makes it both necessary and imperative that we hear what you the reader has to say in order to help guide the editorial direction of our publication. So another thank you there as well.

TSG thought we take this time to acknowledge the support of a number of folks, in no particular order, who make this publication go and to give you the reasons “to” and “not to” vote for TSG for the award.

First, the most important thing, the thanks:

• To all of our contributors including but not limited to: Matt, Ryan, Jay, Donald, Jason, Dan, Nick, Allison, Connor, etc. (if I left you out, send me a note and I’ll include you).

• To US Soccer’s media team and each MLS club media team that we’ve come in contact with. The absolute best part of covering soccer in the United States is the desire for folks who are typically shaping a message to actually just try and help you out and offer access. Thank you, thank you.

Kyle, Justin, David, Neil, Jed and everyone we’ve interacted with, you guys are all top notch, top notch. You make it very easy to cover the great game of footie in the States.

• To all those who were gracious enough to sit for interviews with us or support them, including Preston, Taylor, Charlie, Alejandro, Stu, Omar, Steven, Geoff, Kristine, Heather, Kyle, Alex, Mo, and many more which I will add throughout the day. Thank you. To Clark Haptonstall particularly for opening the door to the interview world in the Summer of 2009–thanks.

• To the American Outlaws United States Soccer support group including Justin, Korey and more, who reached out to provide us an audience early on. Galvanizing my friends.

• To the charitable organizations out there that add perspective to our coverage, like the Freddy Fund, Soccer Without Borders, Little Feet, Street Soccer and more.

• To all other groups and fellow blogs that I will just mash together here (and will likely again leave some out), like: The Free Beer Movement, Du Nord, The Yanks Are Coming, Dirty Tackle, Church of Soccer, MLS Soccer (News and more…), Pali Blues…oh please send me your names I’m missing so many.

• To fellow reporters and broadcasters like Jeff, Kyle and more who have both helped us along and always looked to help us as we got our footing.

• And to all of you, for being respectful of one another’s opinion and offering the TSG folks a place to read and learn each day.

Now the Pros of voting for us:

• We have never once run an erectile dysfunction ad or a personals ad on our site.

• We do this all for free…at least right now.

• Every contributor to this publication holds down a day job.

• There is rarely–if ever–blabber in the commentary. Newbies are treated with respected and educated by the vets of the game. Comments are pithy and personal comments are ironic or merely poking fun, not inflaming.

• We favor in-depth features, interviews and researched analysis. We try not to ask you to create the story.

• We just started covering the USWNT.

Now the Cons:

• My word! Your mispelings and grammatical mistakes is off the charts.

• We rarely get the scoop.

• The Shin Guardian is arguably a corny name.

• We have no iPhone app and we’re not going to get one until Steve Jobs allows Jailbreak–maybe true.

• Which reminds us, we sometimes spout on technology or surfing or even family.

——–

Have fun voting…but most importantly, thank you for participating in the community.

Congratulations to all the other deserving nominees as well.

Oh and it would be un-TSG-like if we didn’t ask you for suggested improvements in the comments below. Thanks…happy holidays.

1. Posted by Alex on 2010/12/10 at 2:23 AM

I love your site, and its one of my top soccer blog sites to check multiple times daily. Your interviews and game previews and analysis are top. And I didn’t know you did all this pro bono, which increases my appreciation.

The nicknames you give people and such things though, got me my vote for you guys. Keep it up!!

2. Where’s my love guys? lol. Im jus joshin.

3. Posted by John Henry on 2010/12/10 at 6:51 AM

The Shin Guardian is a great name, but your spelling and grammar mistakes really are atrocious!

Nevertheless, TSG has become my favorite place for soccer discussion. Doesn’t always get the scoop, but the insight and comments are quality.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/12/10 at 6:53 AM

2011 is the Year of Proofreading at TSG — MARK IT!

(Actions speak louder than words) :>

4. Posted by Jake C. on 2010/12/10 at 7:52 AM

Seriously a wonderful blog, despite the drawbacks you listed above, Matt (I think that covers all of them). I really appreciate all you guys do–as one just getting full-blown into soccer, I’ve really everything you guys have put up here.

ps if you guys need an editor, le me know…3rd year grad student right here:).

5. Posted by Nelson on 2010/12/10 at 8:44 AM

Just an ironic note: you misspelled ¨misspell¨. It´s a bit tricky but there are two s´s.

6. Posted by Tux on 2010/12/10 at 9:31 AM

I found this site mid-way through spring semester this year. In the 9 months since, I’ve gone from being a diehard Red Sox and Eagles fan who cares about his national soccer team and could probably name 6 players on the USMNT roster to guy that lives and dies with the team. Somehow, I care more about the Natties than I do about the Sox, and that feels…odd.

I’m not upset by this, but if you’d told me 4 years ago that I’d be on my way to becoming a huge soccer fan, I’d have laughed in your face. So thank you, TSG, for bringing me one step closer to truly understanding the beautiful game.

7. Posted by maxq on 2010/12/10 at 9:41 AM

Thanks TSG for having a great site that I visit every day.

And thanks also to you, Concave, and Jovan Kirovski for a pair of cleats that I use only slightly less than every day.

8. Posted by Berniebernier on 2010/12/10 at 11:17 AM

I have voted for the Shin Guardian. I definitely read a number of different Soccer and USMNT related websites but the Shin Guardian is my first and most frequent visit. It is indespensible. Thank you.

9. Posted by John on 2010/12/10 at 11:20 AM

I came here for the witty banter, but stayed because of the lack of erectile dysfunction adds.

10. Posted by s44 on 2010/12/10 at 12:07 PM

“We have no iPhone app and we’re not going to get one until Steve Jobs allows Jailbreak–maybe true.”

Some of us would prefer an Android one. ;)

11. Posted by Paula on 2010/12/10 at 1:35 PM

It does seem a little unfair that you have to go up against blogs who may have full time beat reporters updating every hour. On the other hand, while there are many websites from which you can get the latest scoop (and thus the various !!!! thread reactions that follow), there are far fewer outlets for patient and nuanced analysis. Congrats on being one of them.

• It’s interesting that you mention those with full blown, paid writers and yet they tend to scribble 300 words and end on a question to let the masses write the piece.

Like Matthew mentioned, and this is my favorite part of TSG, they write their bit and let the rest of us add our opinions creating well-rounded articles with commentary.

12. Posted by Mferrante on 2010/12/10 at 4:04 PM

Great stuff TSG. Love your blog, you promote soccer in America like no other!!!

13. We really need to get you guys down here for one of our games!!! Thanks guys for the shout out!! Pali Blues <3 TSG