London Footie Map: Where Not To Wear Red

Very cool graphic in the latest Wired magazine, courtesy of my pops (whose story I’ll have to tell sometime).

Wait, Wired magazine? Yes, gives me a chance (or excuse) to talk about something else….the Long Now Foundation. Just check it out. Hard to explain.

Anywho, an extremely fastidiously crafted map off all London footie. Never walk down the wrong supporter street again. Click to enlarge.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

1. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/01/13 at 7:45 AM

Obviously, people move so you get Arsenal and Tottenham fans in the Deep South, but it would be great to see a map as to “who you *should* support, given one’s location. If people “supported clubs they were supposed to”, West Ham and Palace would be much bigger than they are, considering their natural ctachment area.

Great map though, Matt. I have sent this to some friends at home who love it!

2. Posted by Soccernst on 2011/01/13 at 9:47 AM

I lived solidly in Fulham black for 2 years. Tho it would be reasonable to root for Chelsea also. Are there two EPL grounds closer to each other than Craven Cottage and Stamford Bridge? They’ve got to be under a mile apart.

• Posted by Soccernst on 2011/01/13 at 10:08 AM

Anfield and Goodison

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/01/13 at 10:18 AM

Absolutely, they are on top of each other. And there’s QPR right there too…

My gripe is (for example) people who come from Bromley but ‘nonhereditarily^^’ support Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea on the other side of London, but not their local clubs like Palace or Charlton. It’s basically undercover glory supporting, but they get away with it, because they’re still London clubs. Sorry, I am ranting! I am sure there is the equivalent in US sports.

And to answer your question, Liverpool and Everton are only separated by Stanley Park, (and in the Championship, Forest and County are separated by River Trent.)

^^not sure if this is a word.

• Posted by zlionsfan on 2011/01/21 at 7:52 PM

I think the closest analogy in US sports would be in college basketball; most other sports don’t have enough areas with multiple teams. Professional baseball would be close, but minor-league teams aren’t particularly stable (lots of movement between cities).

For example, in Indiana, there are a number of teams that compete at the top level of college basketball, but only three of them represent “major” schools … so some people who live in Indianapolis (in the center of the state) only root for Butler, the local, smaller school, when it’s doing very well (like last year).

Instead, they root for Purdue (about 60 miles northwest), Indiana (about 45 miles south-southwest), or Notre Dame (about 130 miles north). If you ask them about it, they make some comment to the effect of “it’s a team in the same state”, when what they really mean is “it’s a team that has a better chance of winning.”

3. Posted by Soccernst on 2011/01/14 at 8:03 PM

Didnt know QPR was in the neighborhood also, could be fun if they remain top and get promoted. Forest in the championship, County in L1 btw as im sure you know. Was young enough in my time there I didn’t know much about football, other than that my football coach was in the fulham reserves during his playing days so that made me root for them and collect their stickers. Only after I moved back to the states did I realize I could have looked across the river and seen Craven Cottage from my bedroom window. All sort of reasons to be a legitimate fan beyond location, but it a great reason! Cheers.