Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update throughout the day and also serves as the place for you to drop comments like, “I can’t believe Bob Bradley started five centerbacks….what was he thinking?”.
We go a little earlier this week due to travel down to HDC tomorrow.
Bob Bradley’s January campers round our their Southern California training camp this Saturday as the United States faces World Cup group stage advancer Chile.
Chile will be commandeered by Marcelo Bielsa–who is now back, at least temporarily to take the reins of a team that hardly resembles the one that dazzled in spurts in South Africa.
The Home Depot Center hosts the contest and kickoff is scheduled for 7pm local time.
TV: Telefutura; Internet: ESPN3.com
For TSG’s full preview see: Preview: USMNT in HDC, Just Chile-Axing?
Other good previews:
Carlisle: Opportunity Knocks For Young Players
• Particulars: 23 bug-juice drinking campers left.
The U.S. will dress 18 players with a maximum of six substitutions and the Yanks will wear their white-on-white-on-Nike grey unis.
(So we get to see those phenomenal red Chilean unis I suppose)
• Weather: Carson conditions call for 72 and sunny for the day, with it being in the mid 60’s around game time. Pristine conditions for the US to score with a Teal Bunbury header in the 31st minute. Just saying.
• Surf: If you’re hitting the beach because you’re in from, say, Omaha or Lincoln, wander down the north end of Manhattan Beach. There you’ll find a rock jetty with peelers on either side. Pay no mind that the rock jetty was created to a cover a “sh*tpipe”–it’s still good surf and other stuff will kill you first.
• From the Archives: September 2010: 5 To Confront for Sweats II: The five issues that Bob Bradley must confront as he steams the boat to World Cup 2014.
• It’s Not Just Happening in Carson: A plethora of Yanks working abroad this weekend. Some at new companies. Jermaine Jones likely to make his debut with Blackburn at Elwood Road against…..Robbie Findley tries to “steal” a goal with Nottingham Forest as they face of against Conor Doyle’s Derby. Finally, Eric Lichaj likely won’t have a chance to make up for his gaffes as Manchester City clashes with Villa.
And on Monday, Stu Holden, Chelsea…should be a good one there.
And Edson Buddle has just scored in his debut for FC Ingolstadt Humperdink in Bavarian country.
• Straight from the press release:
» Average caps per player: 1.1 (that’s great)
» A total of six players will be age eligible for the 2012 Olympic Games in London: Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, Mikkel Diskerud, Sean Johnson, Brek Shea and Anthony Wallace.
• Preview squad revision:
I still see the Yanks starting in a 4-2-3-1 as I wrote in the preview, but from everyone that’s actually been at camp the general consensus is Jeff Larentowicz to start as oppose to Sam Cronin.
So to review, TSG guest-o-meter comes up with: G: Nick Rimando; DEF: Anthony Wallace, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, Marvell Wynne, DM: Dax, Larentowicz MID: (The tall trees:) Brek Shea, Mix Diskerrud, Alejandro Bedoya, UP TOP: Teal Bunbury.
Bench guess: Dominic Cervi, Sean Franklin, Ryan Miller, Eric Alexander, Eugene Starikov, Juan Agudelo, Chris Wondolowski
In The Stands Guess: Sean Johnson, Matt Pickens, Zach Lloyd, AJ De La Garza, Sam Cronin, quad strain
Guessing non-MLSers might make the bench…will be tough(er) for BB to Miller and Starikov in action rather than a AJ De La Garza
And many more links, bits of info coming….