Orange Slices: USA vs. Chile

Orange Slices! USA vs. Chile

Orange Slices is our game day, catch-all post that we update throughout the day and also serves as the place for you to drop comments like, “I can’t believe Bob Bradley started five centerbacks….what was he thinking?”.
We go a little earlier this week due to travel down to HDC tomorrow.
———

Bob Bradley’s January campers round our their Southern California training camp this Saturday as the United States faces World Cup group stage advancer Chile.

Chile will be commandeered by Marcelo Bielsa–who is now back, at least temporarily to take the reins of a team that hardly resembles the one that dazzled in spurts in South Africa.

The Home Depot Center hosts the contest and kickoff is scheduled for 7pm local time.

Broadcast:

TV: Telefutura; Internet: ESPN3.com

For TSG’s full preview see: Preview: USMNT in HDC, Just Chile-Axing?

Other good previews:

Carlisle: Opportunity Knocks For Young Players

Otherwise known as "The Ambassador to Brazil" around TSG, temporary nickname? "Old Man Winter"

• Particulars: 23 bug-juice drinking campers left.

The U.S. will dress 18 players with a maximum of six substitutions and the Yanks will wear their white-on-white-on-Nike grey unis.

(So we get to see those phenomenal red Chilean unis I suppose)

• Weather: Carson conditions call for 72 and sunny for the day, with it being in the mid 60′s around game time. Pristine conditions for the US to score with a Teal Bunbury header in the 31st minute. Just saying.

• Surf: If you’re hitting the beach because you’re in from, say, Omaha or Lincoln, wander down the north end of Manhattan Beach. There you’ll find a rock jetty with peelers on either side. Pay no mind that the rock jetty was created to a cover a “sh*tpipe”–it’s still good surf and other stuff will kill you first.

• From the Archives: September 2010: 5 To Confront for Sweats II: The five issues that Bob Bradley must confront as he steams the boat to World Cup 2014.

• It’s Not Just Happening in Carson:  A plethora of Yanks working abroad this weekend. Some at new companies. Jermaine Jones likely to make his debut with Blackburn at Elwood Road against…..Robbie Findley tries to “steal” a goal with Nottingham Forest as they face of against Conor Doyle’s Derby. Finally, Eric Lichaj likely won’t have a chance to make up for his gaffes as Manchester City clashes with Villa.

And on Monday, Stu Holden, Chelsea…should be a good one there.

And Edson Buddle has just scored in his debut for FC Ingolstadt Humperdink in Bavarian country.

• Straight from the press release:

» Average caps per player: 1.1 (that’s great)

» A total of six players will be age eligible for the 2012 Olympic Games in London: Juan Agudelo, Teal Bunbury, Mikkel Diskerud, Sean Johnson, Brek Shea and Anthony Wallace.

Preview squad revision:

I still see the Yanks starting in a 4-2-3-1 as I wrote in the preview, but from everyone that’s actually been at camp the general consensus is Jeff Larentowicz to start as oppose to Sam Cronin.

So to review, TSG guest-o-meter comes up with: G: Nick Rimando; DEF: Anthony Wallace, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, Marvell Wynne,  DM: Dax, Larentowicz MID: (The tall trees:) Brek Shea, Mix Diskerrud, Alejandro Bedoya, UP TOP: Teal Bunbury.

Bench guess: Dominic Cervi, Sean Franklin, Ryan Miller, Eric Alexander, Eugene Starikov, Juan Agudelo, Chris Wondolowski

In The Stands Guess: Sean Johnson, Matt Pickens, Zach Lloyd, AJ De La Garza, Sam Cronin, quad strain

Guessing non-MLSers might make the bench…will be tough(er) for BB to Miller and Starikov in action rather than a AJ De La Garza

And many more links, bits of info coming….

1. Posted by Eric on 2011/01/21 at 12:58 PM

Good stuff

Re: Jones and Blackburn
    Ewood Park
    vs. West Bromwich Albion

2. to be honest, I am excited for a pretty strong showing from the American Outlaws too. I know they sold out the section and personally I have a bunch of friends coming down from SLO/LA area that will overflow too. US Soccer may ignore the West Coast but maybe if we are loud enough they will hear us for a change.

• Posted by Brian on 2011/01/22 at 3:57 PM

We get ignored for the high profile friendlies but we’re getting the Gold Cup Final at the Rose Bowl (hopefully it’s USA vs. Mexico). I’m hoping to go to that.

Oh and I came down from SLO to see this game too.

3. Posted by Crow on 2011/01/21 at 1:39 PM

Glad to hear AO sold out their section. Sorry I can’t make it to this one although I’ll be there at the Meadowlands for the Argentina game. Even though the Philly game in the Fall vs. Colombia was a crappy game (and the attendance was very poor), it surprisingly was one of the best AO sections I have ever been in. Maybe only behind Oct 2009 RFK (CD9 tribute), and Feb 2009 CBS (vs. Mexico WCQ).

One question- can John Harkes please not refer to the section as Sam’s Army???!!!

BTW- I’m still furious that I won’t be able to watch the game because my ISP (I only have one choice as I live in a very rural area) doesn’t have an agreement with ESPN for ESPN3.com. And I have a few Spanish channels with DIRECTV but not Telefutura. This February game will be so much better than last years’ game considering all the exciting young talent that will be on display this time (unlike last year- Jeff Cunningham, Jimmy Conrad, etc.).

• Posted by cosmosredux on 2011/01/21 at 3:30 PM

Crow:

You can use a false proxy (I’m sure there is a tutorial online somewhere) to spook your account so that you get access to ESPN3.com. I’ve used a spooked proxy before…but not in awhile.

It’s worth a try.

• Posted by Noah on 2011/01/22 at 10:42 AM

ATDHE.com

It’ll have the game. Crummy quality, but it’ll have it.

4. Posted by Crow on 2011/01/21 at 1:40 PM

If anyone knows of any other web-based options to watch the game, please let me know.

Also…. TAKE THAT LEANDER!!!! Edson Buddle scores in his 1st game!!!

• atdhe.net for sure ;)

• Posted by Dave on 2011/01/21 at 8:31 PM

I don’t know any details(like, is it free or does it cost), but univisionfutbol.com is also streaming the match.
        I’m also too cheap to pay extra for Telefutura(and too far from any of their broadcast areas), but I don’t have a fast enough connection for streaming.

5. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/01/21 at 1:54 PM

the buddle goal came pretty late and would have been a game winner, but they gave up a goal with four minutes remaining. dont forget about rico, up in the big boy german league holding down the backline in frankfurt against ruud.

6. Posted by mbw on 2011/01/21 at 2:12 PM

Good for Buddle. For the last couple of years that guy has done everything that’s been asked of him. He’s definitely earned this chance to show people what he can do.

7. Posted by Iggystar on 2011/01/21 at 3:27 PM

Fun Fact that means absolutely nothing, NOTHING:
    Last yank to score on his BL2 debut, Kenny Cooper.

• Posted by John on 2011/01/21 at 3:44 PM

and THAT got him a contract with the Portland Timbers!

If Buddle keeps this up, maybe the LA Galaxy would be interested!!!

8. Posted by Eric L on 2011/01/21 at 3:40 PM

I have a couple question maybe someone knows the answer to. What is the latest on Miguel Ponce? And also, when will the draw for the Gold Cup be? Any answers would be appreciated, thanks.

9. Posted by Iggystar on 2011/01/21 at 4:06 PM

Sorry too young, maybe when he is 35.

• Posted by Soccernst on 2011/01/21 at 10:21 PM

Further evidence Stu is a class act. Thanks for the link. But why didn’t they ask which Bolton teammate he’d want as backup in a bar fight? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Posted by dth on 2011/01/21 at 10:57 PM

…on one hand, given his Sunderland experience, Holden might be sensitive about this question. On the other, he might give the most authoritative answer of all.

10. Posted by icculus on 2011/01/22 at 10:40 AM

Anyone know if there’s any radio coverage of the game tonight? English, that is. My Spanish is verrry rusty.

11. Posted by Izzy on 2011/01/22 at 10:45 AM

I’m a bit surprised that you included Shea over Agudelo. In a pleasant way though, because I really like Shea, although whether he’s better than Agudelo is debatable. Shea did have a good overall season and has a few more professional seasons worth of pedigree, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he got the start over Agudelo. What would really shock me and please me is if Agudelo started over Bedoya with Shea on the left and Bunbury up top. Just a thought of course, but I think that’d be a scary looking attack.

12. Posted by Soccernst on 2011/01/22 at 11:32 AM

Clint and Specs with the pregame fireworks. SPECTOR…MESSI! (it never gets old)

13. Posted by Rjfromhouston on 2011/01/22 at 12:48 PM

Hi guys. I always watch games online for free at Rojadirecta.com
    There are many channels for every daily game and you can find different sports to watch. Maybe the quality is not the best but sometimes you can be surprised :)

14. Posted by Brian on 2011/01/22 at 3:52 PM

Question for anyone: Where can I park if I don’t want to pay the ridiculous fee HDC charges for parking? Last time I went to a Galaxy game I remember it was like $15 bucks!