TSG: Where Erred

An apology to the TSG community on our “editoring” around Michael Bradley’s loan move.

In August of 2010, TSG commented on Jozy Altidore heading to Besitikas. It was off a media report, that said the deal was finalized. Of course, as we know, didn’t happen.

So, at TSG, we went over August and took a look at which media reports and tweets, primarily for American sources, twitter feeds and publications –but also using this site Football Transfer League–were most accurate versus their frequency.

We thought we painted a good enough of picture of when to put something up, but yesterday taught us to be a little more careful.

So our apologies to the TSG community. We probably would have made yesterday’s report a little “smaller” real estate-wise on the site and not had a follow-up in retrospect. While we weren’t wrong yesterday, we issued the story as a “Report”…I’m not sure we conveyed enough to the audience how closer to rumor (vs. truth) on the bar that it was.

Going forward, we’ll do full pieces with little consideration to timeliness. Unless you tell us otherwise.

1. Posted by Russ on 2011/01/29 at 8:11 AM

No big deal.

2. Posted by Eric L on 2011/01/29 at 8:14 AM

It’s no big deal. It’s not like you made the story up. You didn’t lose any credibility with me. Plus you were the first place I heard of hom going to Villa.

3. If nothing else I learned lots about football in Turkey from the discussion after the post :-)

4. Posted by Freegle on 2011/01/29 at 9:08 AM

I think you all are being a little hard on yourselves. There’s nothing wrong with being misled by a report. It happens to the best. At least you dont throw a bunch of stories on a wall and hope one of them sticks like a lot of the other media out there. Keep doing your thing… your way.

5. Posted by matthewsf on 2011/01/29 at 9:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

6. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2011/01/29 at 11:48 AM

Trust me, it was for the best that he didn’t go to a “superclub” in the Super Lig. Not a good move for somebody with his ability.

7. But I already bought my Galatasaray season tickets! You owe me 1000 bucks!

j/k

8. Posted by SamT on 2011/01/29 at 1:16 PM

You have earned your spot as my first stop for information and commentary on the US Men’s national team, not ESPN, not SI, not USSoccer. This does nothing to change that. I would much rather the occasional mistake go along with all the great things TSG does, than to read a steady stream of guaranteed mistake-less mediocrity.

• Posted by Ryan on 2011/01/30 at 11:33 AM

This exactly

• Posted by Jared on 2011/01/30 at 3:09 PM

Yup. Doesn’t change a thing. If I stopped visiting every website that was wrong about a transfer I wouldn’t be able to read any soccer sites.

Keep up the great work!

9. it’s over between us.

10. Posted by Dave on 2011/01/29 at 6:30 PM

I find the site interesting for tactical analysis of games, interesting player interviews, and y’all’s interaction with posters, among other things. Especially impressive as this site seems to be a spare time hobby that has taken off.
    As to transfer “news”, there seems to be a lot of it that doesn’t come true, some that doesn’t even pass the sniff test, but normally responsible sites do pick some of it up. So as far as transfer news goes, I think I’ll believe it when I see the player has actually played a game for the team–or at least been announced on the team’s official web site.
    Not sure why so much transfer talk is inaccurate, but both clubs and players’ agents have access to plenty of communication channels, and sometimes competing interests in how much they want play up or play down the clubs’ level of interest in a player.
    For example, a club may want to play down their interest in order to keep the price down, while a player’s agent may want to parlay even the most casual contact with various clubs into a bit of a bidding war.

11. Posted by Antonio H. on 2011/01/29 at 8:10 PM

Apoligizing is a sign of weakness!

12. Posted by Bob on 2011/01/30 at 1:09 AM

Plus your report still seemed to come with a warning that it may not be fully true as you seemed skeptical that he would go east instead of west. I’m just stoked that we will get to see more USMNT players on Sat. and Sun. morning TV!

13. Posted by KickinNames... on 2011/01/31 at 6:50 AM

Consider my subscription cancelled. Might want to look into turning this into a weather site.
    But seriously, enough of the apologies, you guys have the most balanced analysis and discussion of any site out here. Keep up the good work.