Chuck D To Train With DC United

The full statement from DC United:

“Charlie Davies is expected to join D.C. United in Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday for a week-long evaluation period, which will include training and game time with the first team and a full medical evaluation by team doctors in DC. Details of a 12-month loan have already been negotiated, but nothing will be official until D.C. United is satisfied Charlie is physically capable of playing at the level required to be successful in MLS. United currently holds the top spot in the League’s allocation ranking and would therefore have first option to acquire Davies.”

1. Good stuff! Hoping Chuck D is up to the needed fitness levels, I’ll have to make an effort to get out to see him play when they’re in Houston.

2. Posted by CJ on 2011/02/01 at 3:48 PM

Yeeeeeaaahhhh babyyyyy!!! Now not only do I have Najar and Dax to route for as a DC local but also C(for Comeback kid)D9 as well? Gonna be a great year for the capitol region!

• Posted by Berg on 2011/02/01 at 4:12 PM

Pontius in the mix too and perhaps Wolff can squeeze something out of aging legs.

They’ll be fun to watch even if CD9 doesn’t stick.

3. Posted by dude on 2011/02/01 at 7:04 PM

I just wish I could jump for joy, but I have a hard time believing CD is back to form or has even recovered his speed. If he can, then this is fantastic news.

Sorry for the angst. I’m a DC fan, and this has all the makings of another heartbreak.

4. I’m hoping this works out for him. It would be great to see him getting his feet underneath him on US soil.

5. Posted by Nelson on 2011/02/02 at 1:12 AM

CD9 Believe…

6. Posted by EFG on 2011/02/02 at 5:33 AM

I received a call from the DC United ticket office yesterday as well to gauge my interest in a ticket plan. Think the timing of that call was a coincidence?

7. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/02/02 at 8:56 AM

all this and nobody mentions perry kitchen, maybe the best player coming out of this draft. dc united IS the mls gold standard.

8. Posted by Andy_4Lakes on 2011/02/02 at 11:43 AM

If the loan doesn’t stick (and I sincerely hope that this loan works for all), we’ll have a pretty definitive statement as to the likelyhood of CD9 ever making an impact for the USMNT again.

• Posted by Russell on 2011/02/02 at 1:49 PM

I wouldn’t go THAT far yet. But it will indicate how far along he really is. His injuries were brutal. I honestly don’t think we can make any predictions until 24 months after the accident.

I really hope this sticks. One more reason to watch the MLS. Not a bad thing.

• Posted by Chas on 2011/02/02 at 2:51 PM

I hope this sticks too and he gets a loan. He needs to leave Sochaux for the time being. They’re doing fine without him and he needs to be on the field playing.

9. Posted by Kevin on 2011/02/02 at 9:03 PM

Can’t help but hope there’s anything Kinnear can do to get him instead of DC. Davies would completely fix the front line for Houston (assuming he’s healthy) His speed and play is what we have been missing from our traditional forward line with Ngwenya or Kamara. Not gonna happen, but still.

10. Posted by CJ on 2011/02/03 at 5:49 AM

I think a positive sign for Charlie is that he hasn’t been dumped by Sochaux… from the outside in it appears they can see a glimmer of hope for him to return to form or we’d probably see different actions on their part.

Besides that I think his desire alone warrants a spot on an MLS roster even if he doesn’t show to be a more advanced player than his teammates. If he’s got a shot with the USMNT he should appear to be at a class above MLS avg or at leas lt show flashes of that.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/02/03 at 11:01 AM

Reportedly, Charlie has not been impressing in the reserve league. Reserve games often are not the best indicators of where a player is at. The other teams often have recovering injured players and the like so it’s difficult to know just how hard the other side is playing. MLS games will probably be the best true test of exactly where Davies is in his rehab. If Charlie doesn’t have his speed back in the first few games I don’t see that as something that comes back later on. The question is, what is he without his speed? As I recall it was the platform on which he built the rest of his game.

• Speed was a big part of his arsenal, but he also had the best first touch of any US striker I’ve seen in a long time. He demonstrated a willingness to shoot and made some high-quality runs that stretched defenses.

Time will tell if he can be effective at the international level again, but being dangerous in MLS might prove a bit easier.

• Posted by Martin on 2011/02/04 at 10:31 AM

Funny you should say that. I always thought Charlie’s first touch was awful, but his quickness and speed helped make up for it.

I did think he was very aggressive and very physical. But it was the speed that made everything else about him really work.

We should see soon enough.

11. Posted by John on 2011/02/03 at 1:18 PM

Just thought it was funny and didn’t have anywhere to put it…

Peter King just did a video chat on SI with Jimmy Johnson for the Super Bowl wearing a Seattle Sounders training top.