Alejandro Bedoya To Train At Birmingham City

We applaud the move too....

Prelude to a move?

Via Soccer by Ives and the Orebro Web site, the TSG crowned Ambassador to Brazil, Alejandro Bedoya will train with Birmingham City.

City could certainly use the wingers–cough, Alexander Hleb–and Bedoya’s got the body, the crossing power and headers for the EPL….does he have a complete game.

Only a one week stint here, with Bedoya’s contract up this will help another league get a look at him before the summer.

1. Posted by dth on 2011/02/20 at 2:23 PM

Not sure about this potential move. Birmingham’s style is like an awl jammed to the eye, over and over, and I’m not sure that helps Bedoya’s game much. Also, not really sure how he gets the work permit, even if he plays every game of the Gold Cup, which seems unlikely.

2. [...] Link: Alejandro Bedoya To Train At Birmingham City – The Shin Guardian [...]

3. Posted by rMc on 2011/02/20 at 2:40 PM

I don’t necessarily think a move to Birmingham is in the offing. I feel like it is more that Bedoya’s team wants to advertise his skill so they can sell him this summer. That said, my question is, how effective is this tactic? It has obviously worked in the past, but it seems to me that it has very limited reach.

4. Posted by BernieBernier on 2011/02/20 at 3:27 PM

Assuming Birmingham stays up I don’t see how the move is problematic…

If he ends up buried on the bench it doesn’t matter because we aren’t counting on him in 2011/12. Moving up a level will help him gain skills for 2014. As long as he learns and grows that is all that matters between now and say late 2013. I don’t see how he doesn’t get that.

Lets be honest if a key player for the USMNT can’t start at a bottom half EPL team then we don’t have a good shot in 2014.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/02/20 at 4:58 PM

Bedoya is more “fringe” than “key”.

• Posted by dth on 2011/02/20 at 7:44 PM

Bedoya is fringe…at the moment. But he’s 23 years old right now. How many players his age or younger are consistently starting in Europe, anywhere? Michael Bradley was for Gladbach, but he hasn’t really gotten a chance to prove himself at Villa.

As far as I know, the answer is zero. Some people have transferred teams (e.g. Josh Gatt and Agbossoumonde), some people have gotten some burn here and there (e.g. Lichaj and Chandler). To top it off, he’s a consistent starter for one of the best teams in his league. No other American his age or younger can say that about Europe. Few Americans can say that they’re starting on one of the best teams in the MLS (Ream, Shea, Gonzalez, Stephens kind of.).

Bedoya’s career has been very impressive, then, when compared to his American peers.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/02/20 at 10:35 PM

I don’t disagree with anything you said (although there are at least a handful of USMNT-poolers younger than Bedoya that I think could easily win a starting job in Sweden). But my point was that if it turns out Bedoya can’t hack it in the Premiership, it doesn’t spell the death knell for our hopes in Brazil.

• Posted by Steve Trittschuh on 2011/02/20 at 11:33 PM

I actually agree with dth for once. People underestimate the Allsvenskan. Its a tough league for foreigners, and I’m really not sure that many young Americans could start there and be as successful as Bedoya has been. I’m not sold on Agbossoumonde starting this season. Miller, Diskerud, and even Goodson had mediocre years with their respective teams. If you look at other comparable Scandanavian leagues, he was the only American who I can honestly say has been very successful with his club, as he led them to one of their best finishes ever.

Just not sure there are a handful of USMNT-poolers that are younger than Bedoya that could be playing there. I think Bedoya deserves a lot of credit.

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/02/21 at 12:59 PM

Well, since we’re fully off on the tangent now…

Bradley, Chandler, Lichaj and Altidore could all start in Sweden, but have their sights set higher. Some other names come to mind as well. You say Mix had a mediocre year, but the reviews of his play that I’ve read have been uniformly positive (admittedly I haven’t seen much of his club play personally). Torres has recently worked his way back into Pachuca’s starting 11 after a run of poor form, and has over two years worth of experience starting for a club that is usually competitive in the Primera Division. Ream played every minute for the Eastern Conference’s top team last season.

All of these guys are younger than Bedoya (some of them by months). I’m not trying to denigrate his accomplishments, but would like to point out that there are plenty young talented guys in the pool that probably could have matched his accomplishments, but are on different paths.

• Posted by Berniebernier on 2011/02/21 at 1:23 PM

I wasn’t trying to imply that he was “key” or “fringe.” I was simply pointing out at this point he is fringe and if he can’t make a bottom tier EPL side then he will never move past fringe (at least I hope not).

In 2014 I could imagine a scenario where every one of the starting 11 (save Donovan if he is there) being a starter from a top European team (EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A) or a Champions League side from a lower tier league (Rangers, Celtic, FC Twente, etc).

If our 7th best player can’t hack it in the EPL then we can’t make a deep run. (I am not saying Bedoya is our 7th best player just think that we have to get over the fear of people getting burried on benches… if someone can’t start for their team they shouldn’t be the starters for the USNMT.)

• Posted by Ufficio on 2011/02/21 at 3:49 PM

Ah, gotcha. Totally agree.

5. Great opportunity for Bedoya. Hope he can put the training to good use and possibly impress an EPL club enough to drum up some interest in purchasing him.

That said, if he stays with Orebro and continues to succeed, that’s all good too. I’m with BernieBernier that it he’s not critical to the USA’s success until later in the WC cycle. I like what I see in Bedoya and hope that he keeps improving at whatever club he plays for so he can move from being a fringe player to a key player for the USA in the future.

6. Posted by dikranovich on 2011/02/21 at 7:04 AM

its interesting that the uefa coefficient has rankings for all the european leagues and sweden is ranked 28, which is two spots behind norway at 26 and fifteen spots below belgium at 13. the swedish league is rated three spots above ryan guys former league. another thing that is interesting is that the swed league has gone from a ranking of 12th in 2009 to its current ranking.

at this point, does it matter if a player is 23 or 25, because either way the players are going to be three years older and three years wiser, in three years time. freddy adu did pretty good over the weekend. that might just be more importaint than what bedoya is doing.

• Posted by Craig on 2011/02/21 at 2:08 PM

Although I’m always interested in hearing about Freddy’s form, to say that he’s anything important in regards to our USMNT is a bit of a disgrace to our USMNT. I’ve even commented on Freddy in the past but, it’s purely from a “I hope he can turn it around for his own sake”, not to think that his development is at all linked to the success of our next WC.

Bedoya on the other hand is on our Coach’s radar and I’d like to think if he gets more action in a higher division, i.e. the EPL, that his International Pace will improve thus raising his stock and the depth of our wingers.

It’s been said before by Matthew when talking about Brek Shea and also the former US’ National Kyle Martino that the biggest difference in a players’ ability to make the next level is how fast they adjust to the International Pace. Quick thinking, quick decisions = USMNT appearances, not just talent or hype.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/02/22 at 2:16 PM

craig, i hear what you are saying, but i tell you what, its hard for me to understand why people want to shrink the usa player pool, rather than grow it. its hard to believe that beijing is almost three years in the past, but it is and freddy was a big prt of the team, as well as the under 20 team in canada. adu also has more caps than kyle martino and break shea combined. im not sure what they have to do with freddy adu, who already has a couple of goals for the full mens team.

why do you want to throw freddy adu under the bus craig. this is a guy who a year ago was playing in greece for a team that this year is playing in the europe league and advancing in the event. i just dont get it.

• Posted by John on 2011/02/22 at 3:38 PM

I don’t know Craig’s reasons…

but Fredy played his first game..
          in 9 months
          in the Turkish SECOND division
          on his (now) 5th loan
          and had an assist

I am going to wait awhile before including him back into the USMNT picture.

• Posted by dikranovich on 2011/02/22 at 5:22 PM

id be curious to know who you guys think is further out of the usmt picture between freddy adu and kenny cooper?